Smogon Tour - Season 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
no, this one per week idea is not cool. Honestly, nothing is wrong with the current system. I totally agree with kd24. So when I get haxed out of round one, I can't make up lost points the next week? This actually gives an advantage to players. 'oh Obi is playing this week, i think i'll wait till next week'. Pretty soon we'll have pkmnmaster1998 winning tours. Good players won't make the final 8. I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst ideas put out there...yet we are still using it? no

i know that only joining once per week probably is the best thing in the end, i think it really takes away from my favorite part of the tour: playing to keep someone from beating you in points
The thing is, if you and the other battlers only play once a week, then you really haven't been given a disadvantage. Everyone is only playing once a week so the max amount of points one can receive is the same for everyone.

i also think playing twice a week is best, because really, i have been fucked over in many tours on like round 1, when i knew i could have advanced pretty far. looking at my own example, in st7, i lost ou 1 week 4 iirc to some extremely horrid luck, only to win the tour the next sunday. if this was rule in effect, then i wouldnt have been able to get any points. the 2 chances a week rule allows less complaining about hax and more competition.
If the point of signing up twice isn't so that you can get a second chance to beat someone worse and get to round 2 easier, then everyone from Day 1 that didn't get to the final round will be signing up for Day 2. Is it justified to say that everybody should get a second chance when we know all to well that most of them won't go any further the second day than the first? Also, hax is part of the game, so it shouldn't be pointed out that those who fall to hax might have gotten farther if they didn't.

It's pretty obvious that you have more experience with the tours than I do, but the fact is, if you want to say that the first day is just a "Mulligan" and then join the second day because you didn't get as many points as you wanted, that isn't being fair to those who didn't get a chance on the first day to do better the second. I'm not trying to say that you in particular would, just that battlers in general would do this kind of thing. However, if we say that those who didn't get any points on the first day move on to the second, then we are giving battlers who really didn't have a chance (or fell to hax, but really the better battlers get past Round 1), then those with less experience can have another chance. It would be unfair to say that those with more experience get two chances when some with less experience only get one, or none at all!

no, this one per week idea is not cool. Honestly, nothing is wrong with the current system. I totally agree with kd24. So when I get haxed out of round one, I can't make up lost points the next week? This actually gives an advantage to players. 'oh Obi is playing this week, i think i'll wait till next week'. Pretty soon we'll have pkmnmaster1998 winning tours. Good players won't make the final 8. I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst ideas put out there...yet we are still using it? no
And then this is just plain ignorance. Basically what you are saying is that inexperienced battlers shouldn't have the chance that stronger battlers do. What kind of attitude is that? Surely you were once as bad as pkmnmaster1998. To say that those with better teams and/or better skills should have an advantage over those with worse teams and/or skills is just stupid. Then, there are those who don't even get the chance to participate just because those battlers who got past Round 1 and had a chance to get points want to have another chance on Day 2. I wouldn't say this idea is PERFECT, but it is giving others a chance to play and that is fine with me.

The thing is, if you and the other battlers only play once a week, then you really haven't been given a disadvantage. Everyone is only playing once a week so the max amount of points one can receive is the same for everyone.
Just as a note, you only gain points from one of the two tours a week. If you got 1 point on Saturday and 2 on Sunday, you will still only get 2 Points for that week. Many people do play on both days to get more points if they did poorly on Saturday.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Totally agree, I think playing just once a week takes away some of the element of it to be honest, but thats just my opinion.

if you want to participate, you need to wait for the signup thread to be posted, and then confirm your participation in there as soon as possible. you need to do this for each individual tournament, so if you miss today's tour, you can sign up for tomorrow's, etc..

Pretty convenient, I misclicked on smogon searching a different website and I see a tournament. O_O...Although I don't even play Pokemon anymore this should be damn interesting. Let's hope Absol gets some fair games this time *cough*. >_>

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
While it is clear to me that splitting participation into either Saturday or Sunday was a success this first week (we'll see how it goes from here)... something else needs to be done to increase the number of playing spots. Be on the look-out for a surprise during week 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)