Smogon University PO Statistics — May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't compare dragonite and salamence, they are completely different pokemon.
Dragonite plays mostly as a wall-breaker or rain abuser, while mence acts as a late game cleaner come revenge killer or appears on sun teams to defeat enemy dragons and heatran. While the type overlap is an issue, there is no reason why these two can not be used on the same team, in fact many players do.
I never said they have the same role, just that when someone needs a dragon, they tend to use Dragonite. When two Pokemon have the exact same typing, they certainly ARENT completely different; comparisons are almost inevitable. Swampert and Gastrodon have different roles and they were compared all the time in early Gen V. And you're right, many people do use them on the same team, but those are usually on Dragon-based teams, which aren't prominent enought to bring Salamence into top 10 usage.

Um, what? The standard Latias runs 252 HP/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spd, with no defensive investment at all, and honestly it really doesn't have to work to not be "outclassed by latios." Unless you're trying to run full-on offensive latias, it plays as a defensive resource and in some situations it can pull a late-game sweep. I attribute latias's usage drop to Scizor, Dnite, and Tyranitar sitting up at the top of the usage statistics. It also suffers from a small degree of 4mss, as it needs dragon pulse, CM, and recover on the set, while it can either run HP fire to have a chance vs steels, refresh/sub to avoid status, or roar because it's, well, roar. Still, its such a cool pokemon and it's sad to see it drop down like this. Maybe I'll build a latias team sometime...
Wow, I feel dumb not to have noticed that is the standard EV spread on Latias. But regardless, offensive sets seem outclassed by Latios, and it is a little prone to revenge killing (Scarfed Dragons with Outrage everywhere). Latias does have its niches, and it is a good Pokemon with what it does, but I personally haven't struggled much against it (though I usually run Ferrothorn, who almost always beats it)

I agree that Latias is sorely underrated. Sure it doesn't have the instant stopping power of Latios but it runs one of the toughest Calm Mind sets in the game, and a LOT of teams are unprepared to face it. Once it gets set up it becomes very difficult to take down (especially if they sub and your phazer is gone). I've found in the past that sun teams are particularly vulnerable to being 6-0'd by it (believe me, I've done so more than a few times), since so many of them just seem to forget about it when there's stuff like Dragonite and Heatran in the top 5 for them to worry about. Non-sun teams aren't immune either though, and with HP Fire typical obstacles to it like Forretres, Ferrothorn and Skarmory become set-up bait without even realizing it until it's too late. Finally it has lovely support roles as well that it can play VERY well, but are often forgotten for some reason. Hell, if you want you can easily run a very successful full on offense set, which might lack the power of Latios but comes with a surprise factor that makes it an extremely efficient lure. Finally, it's not like it's exactly difficult to slot onto a team or anything, thanks to its bevy of resistances and immunity to ground that make it such a good defensive pivot.

In short, Latias needs more love. It's been a frequent member of my teams ever since I started playing BW, and I've very rarely been disappointed in it.

For quite a while now, I've felt that Latias is a better choice than Latios. I use her on most of my teams as a solid answer to volt-turn. Not really caring about Rotom-W, and being able to kill Scizor with a Dragonpulse into hp fire combo.

Also its already been stated, her Calm Mind set sweeps so many teams, even when Latias isn't supposed to be the teams sweeper.

Heh i used Latias a bit, and oldies classix and new Mixmence and for the sake of it Specs Mence

The feeling that comes from using Calm Minding Pulsing Latias and a Meteor from a Dragon are really great to warrant their generally harder to use issue

For quite a while now, I've felt that Latias is a better choice than Latios. I use her on most of my teams as a solid answer to volt-turn. Not really caring about Rotom-W, and being able to kill Scizor with a Dragonpulse into hp fire combo.

Also its already been stated, her Calm Mind set sweeps so many teams, even when Latias isn't supposed to be the teams sweeper.
Latias doesn't really "beat" voltturn since it's pretty common for voltturn to carry Tyranitar, which traps Latias.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Cutoffs fall around 3.41%, or 1 in 20 battles (don't quote me on the 1:20). The tiers won't be updated until next month though so it doesn't really matter right now.

Come on, if chansey actually does go to UU, then scrafty and or toxicroak, or for that matter any of those really low usage fighting types.

Cutoffs fall around 3.41%, or 1 in 20 battles (don't quote me on the 1:20). The tiers won't be updated until next month though so it doesn't really matter right now.
A pokemon is OU if you have at least a 50% chance of seeing it at least once in 20 battles.

(1-p)^20=0.5

Solve for p.

Not sure why 20. You'd have to ask DougJustDoug.

Will june really have a new OU/UU/whatever tierlist? I am asking it because bw2 release is on june 23 and we will certainly have some new OU members and maybe the game changes to a completely different metagame...

Come on, if chansey actually does go to UU, then scrafty and or toxicroak, or for that matter any of those really low usage fighting types.
Um.... what?

Will june really have a new OU/UU/whatever tierlist? I am asking it because bw2 release is on june 23 and we will certainly have some new OU members and maybe the game changes to a completely different metagame...
Yes

Latias doesn't really "beat" voltturn since it's pretty common for voltturn to carry Tyranitar, which traps Latias.
Tyranitar isn't considered a standard on volt-turn teams, therefore its fairly safe to consider Latias a good check to said teams.

Tyranitar isn't considered a standard on volt-turn teams, therefore its fairly safe to consider Latias a good check to said teams.
Um, tyranitar/landorus/rotom-w/scizor is on pretty much every voltturn team out there. In my experience, it's really hard for latias to perform effectively when the opponent is pivoting aound and tyranitar is still alive. That said, if ttar does go down, HP Fire latias performs amazingly against voltturn.

If youre running a Latias with HP Fire, you should be running Latios instead lol it hits harder and is just BETTER offensively

It is unlikely that the BW2 changes will be ready for implementation in PO by July 1 (new movesets are easy--formes are not). The hope is that they'll be ready soon thereafter, though. It's likely that the October 1 (July 1 + three months) tier update will be a big one, but if anything is "broken" in the meantime, that's what the suspect councils and the borderline tiers are for.

If youre running a Latias with HP Fire, you should be running Latios instead lol it hits harder and is just BETTER offensively
Latios doesn't take hits nearly as well, the reason why Latias is used is because it can be a great defensive pivot and a great calm mind sweeper. Why would you limit its coverage just because there exists a better outright sweeper out there?

Not sure why 20. You'd have to ask DougJustDoug.
Two mysteries solved!

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45752

20 was chosen arbitrarily back in the ADV days to correspond to ~50 pokes in OU (what I find fascinating is the near unanimous opinion that 20 was too high).

Also, the 1-3-20 three-month stat weighting was chosen based on a fit for best prediction for the next month's usage. One day, I'd like to make some time and test whether this is still accurate.

Um, tyranitar/landorus/rotom-w/scizor is on pretty much every voltturn team out there. In my experience, it's really hard for latias to perform effectively when the opponent is pivoting aound and tyranitar is still alive. That said, if ttar does go down, HP Fire latias performs amazingly against voltturn.
Latias is typically paired with fighting type partners, most notably Lucario (together, they resist every attacking type in the game, bar flying). In fact Tyranitar can be seen as an asset, as it provides a free switch in for your fighting type, allowing them to wreck havoc on the opponets team. And just to point out, Tyranitar isn't a standard on volt-turn, although its fairly common. Standards on volt-turn would be Scizor, Rotom(s), Landorus, Mienshao, Forretress (Rapid spin is crucial here) etc. Any pokemon with U-Turn/Volt Switch that lives in OU can be considered standard.

In Ubers, Palkia rising to the 2nd spot doesn't necessarily suprise me. I find either her or Grassceus a must on all of my teams, with Kyogre dominating the tier.

Latias is pretty cool. If you're worried about Scizor and T-tar trapping, just use the defensive + reflect set. T-tar comes in to pursuit you... Reflect! Oh wait now it does like 22% if I stay in and I'll set up CM in your face, oh Scizor came in to U-turn, I'll just Reflect, now U-turn does like 43% and I'll recover as you use it and then continue to CM in your face.

In all honesty though, the Reflect Latias set is pretty cool, although admittedly it does not check rain nearly as well.

Give me my Chansey back. :( Hopefully it's UU again soon. Then again, I wouldn't mind it being BL cause she's a beast.

Aw fuck something just occurred to me.

Keldeo is getting released about a week before tier shifts. It'll almost certainly not be able to get enough usage to reach OU in such a short time. Keldeo's probably gonna go to UU until the next tier shift in three months.

Shit that's terrifying.

Aw fuck something just occurred to me.

Keldeo is getting released about a week before tier shifts. It'll almost certainly not be able to get enough usage to reach OU in such a short time. Keldeo's probably gonna go to UU until the next tier shift in three months.

Shit that's terrifying.
If everyone uses Keldeo all at once maybe it could be possible? Everyone seems super excited to use it. As a community effort I challenge everyone to use Keldeo: the goal being used 2,000 times EVERYDAY FOR THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS (june 23rd). The starting gun will be Antar's implementation announcement post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)