1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2015

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Antar, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blast

Blast bear with me now
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

Antar what's the cutoff for quickrises in the second month?
  2. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

This is more information than you asked for, but it comes up a lot, so this way I can just quote this post when it comes up again.

The cutoffs are calculated as the points at which there is less than a 50% chance of encountering the Pokemon once in N battles. The formula is:
    Code:
    1-0.5^(1/N)

For regular rises/drops, N=20 → 3.406%
    For first month, N=10 for rises, 40 for drops → 6.697% / 1.718%
    For second month, N=15 for rises, 30 for drops → 4.516% / 2.284%
  3. ChristheRaven

ChristheRaven

Guys, we need to use Hitmonchan. We can't let it drop, so the hate towards it continues. PLEASE
    galbia, Arik, Mikael and 3 others like this.
  4. Tymano

Tymano

No
    Kris, Brawl MK, Cowtao and 7 others like this.
  5. p2

p2
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

RU please take Audino next month and give NU Skuntank.

xd
  6. Magnemite

Magnemite
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

So YOU are why it always gets just enough usage to stay RU every third month?
  7. Talpr0ne

Talpr0ne

Use Typhlosion so there is a shiny new mon to hate on.
    TROP, Cowtao, MegaFlareon and 3 others like this.
  8. boltsandbombers

boltsandbombers i'm sorry mr. man
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

| 56 | Poliwrath | 4.207% |

Enjoy it for one more month PU :^)
    DJTHED, North Gate, Cowtao and 3 others like this.
  9. Magnemite

Magnemite
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I'll deal with any change as long as it shakes up this horribly stagnant meta that hasn't had significant changes in five months now (just give us a drop already ;-;)
    Kingler12345 and boltsandbombers like this.
  10. Tymano

Tymano

| 64 | Bouffalant | 3.280% |
    Magnemite at least PU gets something.
    Antar likes this.
  11. gasquakee

gasquakee

you guys are actually the worst tier ever(jokingly of course). You can't even drop one Pokemon. Basically a black hole.
  12. Antar

Antar
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

A large number of Pokemon with usage about 3.41% actually indicates that the tier is incredibly diverse. So some might consider it the best tier ever.*

*Technically if we're going by that metric, UU beats NU...
    Slayer95, thesecondbest and gasquakee like this.
  13. Magnemite

Magnemite

Yeah, and last time it looked like we were going to get drops in a month between tier shifts, all 7 of them got enough usage to stay NU, both in the following month and the one after that which had the tier shift. I don't really have my hopes up.
  14. Swede

Swede

I take it this is a recently added system, no? Torn-T didn't rise to OU during the April quick shifts even though it had over 4.516%.

If so, what is the reasoning behind this change?
  15. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

SwedishBiscuit, we've had this system in place since the old PS server (and all its logs) were lost at the start of ORAS. I'll have to check into the specifics of Torn-T, but keep in mind second-month quick-rises are based on the two previous months' stats combined (ratio of 5-1).

Edit: You are correct. Torn-T had enough usage in April to rise. Not sure why it didn't. Might have accidentally applied the one-month threshold.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Swede likes this.
  16. Imanalt

Imanalt I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

on the other hand it also likely means you have a high percentage of teams built by people just clicking things that are listed in the tier in teambuilder, since that tends to have a pretty large effect on buffing up the usage of mons that should drop.
    Syncrasy and phantom like this.
  17. Antar

Antar
    Official Data Miner

Imanalt, theoretically players at the 1630-level should have some idea of what they're doing.

Legit question: how does the size of the NU viability rankings compare to those of other tiers?
  18. Imanalt

Imanalt I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

given im fairly sure there's an observable change in usage of mons when they change tiers, even at the 1630 level, they don't seem to have enough of an idea (or at least a couple percent of them don't)
  19. Quite Quiet

Quite Quiet sleep life away
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Articles Co-Leader

In order of Pokemon listed (S-D rank):

OU: 156
    NU: 143
    UU: 115
    RU: 105
    Antar likes this.
  20. avocado

avocado call me mr. worldwide
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

[02:30:22] G Thang: wow smogdex really hates on hitmonchan
    [02:30:26] G Thang: fuck it... just for that ima use him

relevant to Hitmonchan dropping.
    Kurona, Kris, Choice Banned and 5 others like this.
  21. Lukethehedgehog

Lukethehedgehog

22. boltsandbombers

boltsandbombers i'm sorry mr. man
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Apparently naming the set "DONT USE HITMONCHAN" somehow didn't get the message across -_-
    nv, Swinehart Guy, Kris and 4 others like this.
  23. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

meanwhile in Doubles we only actually bothered ranking 74 (78 if you include the "please do not use these" rankings)
  24. Karzahni14

Karzahni14

Rip Cobalion
    May your time in RU have been the best ;(

Time to try out Mega Steelix I guess
  25. Karxrida

Karxrida Travels at the speed of DARKNESS
    is a Community Contributor

You know maybe if you RU guys decided to not have an analysis for it, people couldn't look the fucker up and use it with the sets you're "recommending".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)