1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 10

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Cooper, Jan 6, 2008.

?

What will be the name of our new pokemon?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2008.
  1. Aufylus

31 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. Dorylus

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Syclant

132 vote(s)
    53.7%
  4. Apocritz

21 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Vishicle

38 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Eiskungia

18 vote(s)
    7.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EconBiscuit

EconBiscuit

Yes but to give it a complete immunity? Mountaineer's can still get killed by rocks, heck climbing up mountains give them more of a vunerability.

All it does is allow a free switch in to sweep. Yippeee.

yes, little blue dots, but look at the pokemon with compound eyes, they have big big eyes.

Why not make it an Ice type Solid Rock then? Lower effective hits rather than completly remove them
  2. Scrubs

Scrubs

Apocritz FTW
  3. sanjay120

sanjay120

Complete SR immunity and Rock immunity on the switch in. And the idea is that it lives in mountains, so it would have adapted to the falling rocks by way of an icy shell.

Solid Rock is better on more defensive stuff.
  4. EconBiscuit

EconBiscuit

yes Defenses are shit, but what pokemon out speed it that it won't kill?

Anyways with abilities you have to think what other pokemon that ability can be applied too
  5. Lawman

Lawman

Rampardos says hi to this thing. Mold Breaker ftw.
  6. sanjay120

sanjay120

That ability can be applied to Cloyster (hard shell), Regice (lives in a cave), and Lapras (both). And since flavor-wise it isn't Ice only, it can also go to Forretress, the Golem line, etc.
  7. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

Not necessarily [spelling?]. Normalize is only on Delcatty and Skitty, and they are the same Evo line. This goes for a lot of other Abilities.

Edit: Nice call there Lawman. Didn't even think about that.
  8. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I don't think any of the choices look like pokemon names. Very subjective, I know... but, my opinion. None of them have straightforward pronounciation, which stinks too. I really liked the Exofrost and Hexafrost suggestions, mainly because the pronounciation was so clear.

But, this poll can't really be argued. Pick the name you like. In the end, a lot of people aren't going to like the name anyway, so whatever...

I picked Syclant, only because I disliked it the least.
  9. sanjay120

sanjay120

How is that relevant? I was giving examples of other Pokemon it could go on.

Gyarados's pronunciation is about the same level of difficulty.
  10. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Personally, if Ninty take this pokemon and actually make it real then I'll lol soo fucking hard. Not only would they be rubbing this into all the weeabo pokemon fans but actually show they want to appeal a more older and wider group of people.
  11. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

If you are talking to me: Well, i was saying that because not all pokemon share abilities. Most pokemon have their own abilities.
  12. Lawman

Lawman

I can actually see Abomasnow getting the mountaineer ability too.
  13. sanjay120

sanjay120

Levitate, Intimidate, Synchronize, Trace, Solid Rock, Static, Flash Fire, Water Absorb, Keen Eye, Sturdy, Solar Power, Leaf Guard, Chlorophyll, Sandstream, Swift Swim, Dry Skin, Clear Body, Pressure, Rock Head, Static, Own Tempo, Poison Point, Rivalry, Oblivious, Immunity, Limber, Magma Armor, Flame Body, Water Veil, Inner Focus.

I could go on all day.
  14. DiamondDust

DiamondDust

i don't think we should give it compound eyes...
    only mountaineer.
    ghandi, you are exaggerating the immunity, it is only immune to stealth rocks and things when it switches in. the ability is perfectly fine so stop bitching about it please. a free switch in makes mountaineer like levitate which is a great ability. would you rather it just get raped by stealth rock? besides who the hell wants to use death fodders all day?
  15. Lawman

Lawman

I thought it meant all rock moves, as in rock slide and stuff too
  16. dragonsyth1

dragonsyth1

syclant, its the only one i could say = p
  17. DiamondDust

DiamondDust

it does. but the ability is mainly for stealth rock.
    it gives him an ability like levitate. here lemme give an example..
    lets say you have a pokemon weak to rock, tyranitar uses rock move on your pokemon, ohGNOES, you switch in this bug pokemon and his ability makes him immune, preceed to focus blast. did we decide on letting him keep focus blast? but it is a very useful ability
  18. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

War-Cloud didn't explain it well [no offense]. Your makes people think its completly immune. Its not. Only on the switch. Rock Slide on the switch doesn't effect it but rock slide on the 2nd turn does.
  19. DiamondDust

DiamondDust

no i didn't say anything about it being immune only on the switch..
    read both my posts and i clearly state that it is only immune on the switch in.
  20. futuresuperstar

futuresuperstar

I just realized that this thing has a switch-in resistance to Ground / Rock, as well as Ground / Ice. Damn, yo.

Anyway, I voted for Aufylus.
  21. GengarCrysis92

GengarCrysis92

Sorry Dark-War-Cloud. I must have missed that part.
  22. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Keep in mind that Pokemon is a Japanese game; they haven't used words from German except in the German version, and they haven't used Latin at all. Most other Pokemon names have nothing to do with what exact genus or species it would be in. Instead, they exaggerate specific features of the Pokemon. The Nido's, for example, all have Nido, which is kind of like Needle.

I chose Syclant because it is not overly complicated, the 'ant' part is subtle enough for the reader to not immediately know that he/she is actually saying Icicle Ant, and also because Sickle actually makes sense. If you look at all the Pokedex entries people have made, they all show this Pokemon as a predator. Its wings also resemble blades, so it makes sense to have a portion of the name to have a weapon in it, much like Skarmory (Sky+Armory), who has similar wings.
  23. ~Trogdor~

~Trogdor~

Looks like the name Syclant is really getting all the votes....
  24. sanjay120

sanjay120

They used French for Gardy. >O

Syclant is going to win. I voted for Aufylus.
  25. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Syclant is too obvious.

and for those saying Nintendo likes obvious names, look at Gardevoir, Kirlia, or Ralts. Those are all really obscure names that don't go "Oh like its an ant with icicles on it, Icicle+Ant = Syclant. Subtlety is something this forum seems to be lacking in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)