Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

We haven't got consistent information about the shininess. Is the shininess locked when you use this method?

Also, is this method any good when you breed with flawless parents? From what we understand it is faster to spam eggs that way.
I can confirm for 100% that the if you hatch a shiny and reset, you will not be guaranteed a shiny, at least with the setup I had. This happen yesterday.

- Test parent Rotom + (JPN) Ditto
- Hatched a Shiny Rotom with correct IV allocation
- Reset and inserted True Parents (another Rotom + Ditto)
- Hatched baby, perfect IV spread, but was not shiny.

Holy shit, you mean instead of using Magickarps, use Magnemites and dittos ? I mean, that's nice, but wouldn't you be better off breeding normally when it comes down to genderless pokes ?
It is still faster to use this method (egg reset). I have been doing it with Rotoms. The only issue I run into is that sometimes I do not have the Dittos to fulfill the perfect IV spread. The only time both breeding methods would be equal in time is that you are using a perfect Rotom with a perfect Ditto to breed.

Last edited:
I can confirm for 100% that the if you hatch a shiny and reset, you will not be guaranteed a shiny, at least with the setup I had. This happen yesterday.

Shiny then SR? NO YOU DIDN'T.

Shiny then SR? NO YOU DIDN'T.
Yeah I did. The IVs were terrible on it. Max HP Rotom with trash Speed and Satk. I also took a gamble on that if the shiny was to be retained, I would end up with a perfect shiny Rotom. Gamble failed, but I learned something valuable that I can pass down as well. I am okay with losing out on a crappy shiny Rotom. I do regret not testing it out more, but was tired + committed to a trade.

Last edited:
Yeah I did. The IVs were terrible on it. Max HP Rotom with trash Speed and Satk. I also took a gamble on that if the shiny was to be retained, I would end up with a perfect shiny Rotom. Gamble failed, but I learned something valuable that I can pass down as well. I am okay with losing out on a crappy shiny Rotom. I do regret not testing it out more, but was tired + committed to a trade.
Hmm... I agree yeah and I like the way you use crappy and shiny xD
Anyway, good luck breeding that Rotom :D

Well, someone had to do something stupid like that for science.

You know what? That's actually awesome news! If it turns out right that means that we can soft-reset shinies without worrying about getting the wrong IVs. It's a shame you did not get a good shiny Rotom, but that knowledge is invaluable to soft-reset perfect shiny Pokemon.

SomeRandomKid, so you replaced both the awful first Rotom, and the Jap Ditto with a new Rotom and Ditto? Do you think that could've messed up the process by removing the MM?

I was literally just about to breed a 31/31/31/31/31/x Female Pawniard with a 0/0/0/0/0/31 Male Pancham in hopes of obtaining a shiny and swapping it out for my 2 hex flawless Tyranitar's to get a shiny, but I want to make sure it'll work before I attempt to waste my time. I had also planned on testing out the theory that tipping waiters increases your chance for shiny, but I just wanted to clear a few things up beforehand:

1. So before I set any parents into the Daycare, the egg that they will eventually make is already locked, correct? Meaning that I can stick them in there, then go around tipping people (assuming that has any affect on shininess at all) before rejecting it to generate a second egg that may be shiny

2. By rejecting the first egg, then hatching the second with the correct spread, there isn't a set 'time limit' on it, is there? Like I can make sure it's the egg I want, then turn off my DS and pick it back up tomorrow, and the time change+delay before turning the game on won't affect anything will it?

Last edited:
SomeRandomKid, so you replaced both the awful first Rotom, and the Jap Ditto with a new Rotom and Ditto? Do you think that could've messed up the process by removing the MM?

I was literally just about to breed a 31/31/31/31/31/x Female Pawniard with a 0/0/0/0/0/31 Male Pancham in hopes of obtaining a shiny and swapping it out for my 2 hex flawless Tyranitar's to get a shiny, but I want to make sure it'll work before I attempt to waste my time. I had also planned on testing out the theory that tipping waiters increases your chance for shiny, but I just wanted to clear a few things up beforehand:

1. So before I set any parents into the Daycare, the egg that they will eventually make is already locked, correct? Meaning that I can stick them in there, then go around tipping people (assuming that has any affect on shininess at all) before rejecting it to generate a second egg that may be shiny

2. By rejecting the first egg, then hatching the second with the correct spread, there isn't a set 'time limit' on it, is there? Like I can make sure it's the egg I want, then turn off my DS and pick it back up tomorrow, and the time change+delay before turning the game on won't affect anything will it?
Unfortunately that thought did not occur to me immediately to test out MM as I do not intentionally breed for shinies. I just use a foreign ditto to increase egg spawning speed for genderless test pokemon. Definitely the next step in testing would of had been to SR and reuse the original parents to see if a shiny would of spawned. Then use the JPN Ditto along with a different rotom to see if it would retain the Shiny factor.

Bad luck that it was me who encountered this situation as my non-existent motivation to hatch shinies did not quite trigger the brain process to continue experimenting on shinies. I only encountered this thread the day after as I am bored at work.

As for your second question. There doesn't seem to be any time limitations in regards to the IV spread, according to the other posts I have seen on this thread and from personal experience. The shiny mechanics seem to be different, so I have no other comments on it.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Oh wait, you swapped the JPN Ditto for a US Ditto? I guess that's why the Egg wasn't shiny anymore, you completely screwed the inherintance doing that.

When I used a Miltank and a Smeargle as test parents, then used a Rotom and a Japanese Ditto as real parents, having one parent hold Destiny Knot both times, the inheritance actually seemed to be OPPOSITE of the Miltank. Where the Miltank would inherit from the mom, the Rotom inherited from the dad and vice versa. This needs testing. (Is it reversed because of the nationality of the Ditto or because of the gender ratios being opposite? Is this just a coincidence?) If it helps I didn't use an everstone and both children ended up Modest.

I did this to see if reciprocal gender ratios would be compatible.

When I used a Miltank and a Smeargle as test parents, then used a Rotom and a Japanese Ditto as real parents, having one parent hold Destiny Knot both times, the inheritance actually seemed to be OPPOSITE of the Miltank. Where the Miltank would inherit from the mom, the Rotom inherited from the dad and vice versa. This needs testing. (Is it reversed because of the nationality of the Ditto or because of the gender ratios being opposite? Is this just a coincidence?) If it helps I didn't use an everstone and both children ended up Modest.

I did this to see if reciprocal gender ratios would be compatible.
This happened because your test parents had genders, while your others were gender less. You need to use gender less test parents.

This happened because your test parents had genders, while your others were gender less. You need to use gender less test parents.
I know that it's supposed to mess it up if the gender ratios are completely different. But, because Miltank is female only, and Rotom is genderless only, I thought it was worth testing whether the calculation would be the same, because I was really hoping that it was. (Or at least telegraphable as it would be in the case that the inheritance really IS just the inverse.)

I know that it's supposed to mess it up if the gender ratios are completely different. But, because Miltank is female only, and Rotom is genderless only, I thought it was worth testing whether the calculation would be the same, because I was really hoping that it was. (Or at least telegraphable as it would be in the case that the inheritance really IS just the inverse.)
Information like that could be useful. Mind testing it again? If the results are inverse, it could be helpful for breeding genderless pokes since ones caught in the FS have three 31's.

Information like that could be useful. Mind testing it again? If the results are inverse, it could be helpful for breeding genderless pokes since ones caught in the FS have three 31's.
Originally I was going to be too lazy to test this in the first place. IV calculating is boring. But I did it anyway. And I'm not going to do it again myself, but what I am going to do is see what happens when I use the Everstone. And again, the inverse results might be because of the Japanese Ditto and I don't want to take the time to calculate IVs for my own Ditto or its child.

Originally I was going to be too lazy to test this in the first place. IV calculating is boring. But I did it anyway. And I'm not going to do it again myself, but what I am going to do is see what happens when I use the Everstone. And again, the inverse results might be because of the Japanese Ditto and I don't want to take the time to calculate IVs for my own Ditto or its child.
Then I may test it myself later tonight.

The Everstone passed down Smeargle's nature and also Ditto's nature. What makes me not entirely sure is that the baby Miltank had all six IVs be the same as either of its parents so I have no way to be sure what the uninherited stat is. The baby Rotom did have one that was different.

EDIT: Also, after you test the genderless Pokemon, swap it out for a male only Pokemon.

Last edited:
Ok I have a question about this method I watched the tutorial on how to do this and have been reading the post but it seems I'm am having some problems with this method. I have gotten 2 magikarps and checked their stats at lvl 50. I've done all the steps needed then when I find good stats passed down from the parents the larvatars I'm breeding don't seem to get the same results that the magikarps have. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am new to breeding but I understand most of it and I understand how to do the method, but it seems like its just not working for me.

Ok I have a question about this method I watched the tutorial on how to do this and have been reading the post but it seems I'm am having some problems with this method. I have gotten 2 magikarps and checked their stats at lvl 50. I've done all the steps needed then when I find good stats passed down from the parents the larvatars I'm breeding don't seem to get the same results that the magikarps have. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am new to breeding but I understand most of it and I understand how to do the method, but it seems like its just not working for me.
It would help if you could list in order the steps that you are taking so we can see if you're doing something wrong/missing a step in the way.

Unfortunately that thought did not occur to me immediately to test out MM as I do not intentionally breed for shinies. I just use a foreign ditto to increase egg spawning speed for genderless test pokemon. Definitely the next step in testing would of had been to SR and reuse the original parents to see if a shiny would of spawned. Then use the JPN Ditto along with a different rotom to see if it would retain the Shiny factor.

Bad luck that it was me who encountered this situation as my non-existent motivation to hatch shinies did not quite trigger the brain process to continue experimenting on shinies. I only encountered this thread the day after as I am bored at work.
Oh wait, you swapped the JPN Ditto for a US Ditto? I guess that's why the Egg wasn't shiny anymore, you completely screwed the inherintance doing that.
I seem to be the only person who managed to keep my egg shiny after hatching it the second time. But maybe I was just extremely lucky.

Eh, guess we'll never know. I'm not trying it again. The fact that everyone keeps reporting their eggs aren't shiny after the second time leads me to believe I was just insanely lucky.

This does work well but since I was trying for a set of IVs where the attack is randomized, it took me about 7-8 tries before it happened. Now I have the spread but I want specifically a female. I am SR'ing this spread now. Can anyone save me time and confirm whether the gender and ability is reset? I'm dealing with 12.5% female ratio so I might end up wasting a lot of time otherwise. Thanks!

It's not ambiguous at all, but I'll try to explain it better. Put your Skarmory and Pidgeot in the Day Care, one holding the Destiny Knot, one holding the Everstone. Wait for the Day Care Dude to hand you an egg. Reject the egg. Save the game. Wait for another Egg to pop out. Get it, and check the IVs. Because of the Destiny Knot, 5 IVs will have been passed down from either parent. Now let's say your newly bred Skarmory has 31 HP, 0 Atk, 31 Def, 31 SpA, 12 SpD, 31 Speed. This mean it got its HP and Def from the mother, and its Atk, Spa and Speed from the father, while the SpD was the "wildcard" stat. But you knew this already. The point is that the game's RNG is now fixed in that spread: HP and Def from the mother, Atk, SpA, Spe from the father. So now you can reload your save (from after you rejected the first egg) go to your box and, for example, get a 0/31/0/31/0/31 female Spritzee (just an example) and breed it with your 31/0/31/31/0/31 Ditto. Yes, I mean, swap the Skarmory and the Pidgeot for the Spritzee and Ditto. The newborn Sprtizee will certainly inherit the Ditto's Atk, SpA and Spe and the female Spritzee's HP and Def. That's because the game has already pre-determined which IV values will be borrowed from which parent with the Destiny Knot mechanic. So if you want another spread of IVs to be passed down, just refuse the egg again and repeat the process until you get the desired inheritance. Is that clear now?

(prole paras is what I was calling the offspring paras)

Edit;
I'll try to illustrate it again, and in a way that shows how useful this is.
So I have a [18/x/23/x/31/x] male Larvitar and a [21/x/x/30/8/31] female Bagon. These are the only IVs I know of them, and they suck. I give Larvitar a Destiny Knot, and an Everstone to Bagon, and take them to the Day Care Center. When the dude tries to hand me an egg, I decline. I save my game. Then I get another egg, but this one I accept and hatch it. Now it's time to check the newborn Bagon's IVs. Let's say it got 21/x/x/23/30/31/31. This means the male Larvitar passed down its Def and SpD, while the female Bagon passed down its HP, SpA and Spe. So let's take a note of that:
Male: Def, SpD
Female: HP, SpA, Spe
Now I reload my save. Instead of getting a second LarvitarXBagon egg, I change the male Larvitar for a male Zubat with x/x/31/x/31/x and a female Swanna with 31/x/x/31/x/31. One of them must have the Destiny Knot equipped, of course. I then accept the egg. What will happen? The baby Ducklett will have, with 100% certainty, the father's Def and SpD and the mother's HP, SpA, Spe -- that is, all the 31 stats I wanted.
With this method I turned two useless, shitty IV'd Pokémon into a way to get the IVs I wanted in my baby Ducklett.

...does this make any sense now?
Dude, this is clearer than crystal. GOOD JOB!

This does work well but since I was trying for a set of IVs where the attack is randomized, it took me about 7-8 tries before it happened. Now I have the spread but I want specifically a female. I am SR'ing this spread now. Can anyone save me time and confirm whether the gender and ability is reset? I'm dealing with 12.5% female ratio so I might end up wasting a lot of time otherwise. Thanks!
I'm fairly certain gender is set when you reject the egg (at least, when I got a female torchic and switched to eevee, it was also female). Not sure about abilities, but I'm pretty sure the HA flag stays the same (assuming you have the conditions for HA met).

I'm fairly certain gender is set when you reject the egg (at least, when I got a female torchic and switched to eevee, it was also female). Not sure about abilities, but I'm pretty sure the HA flag stays the same (assuming you have the conditions for HA met).
My test was, male JAP dragonite with 31/x/31/x/31/31
bred with ditto x/31/x/31/x/x

I rejected the egg by not taking it from the day care guy and saved the game, then took the second egg then went to kiloude for IV check, it turned out female and x/31/x/x/x/31.
Reloaded the saved game.
Then I changed it with Blastoise 6IV male, destiny knotted, and blastoise female 5IV-attack and the result?

This: x/x/31/31/31/31 and male squirtle

what did I do wrong here?
Do i need not to rely on that purple headed guy in kiloude city and use whatever stats calculator that I dunno where to look for?
IS DITTO A BAD EXAMPLE?

Last edited:
My test was, male JAP dragonite with 31/x/31/x/31/31
bred with ditto x/31/x/31/x/x

I rejected the egg by not taking it from the day care guy and saved the game, then took the second egg then went to kiloude for IV check, it turned out female and x/31/x/x/x/31.
Reloaded the saved game.
Then I changed it with Blastoise 6IV male, destiny knotted, and blastoise female 5IV-attack and the result?

This: x/x/31/31/31/31 and male squirtle

what did I do wrong here?
Do i need not to rely on that purple headed guy in kiloude city and use whatever stats calculator that I dunno where to look for?
IS DITTO A BAD EXAMPLE?
They have different gender ratios. So a PID that would be female for a dragonite (50/50) could be male for a squirtle (87.5/12.5). Probably should've put that it only works for the same gender ratio.

They have different gender ratios. So a PID that would be female for a dragonite (50/50) could be male for a squirtle (87.5/12.5). Probably should've put that it only works for the same gender ratio.
But look at the IVs. They are not the same as the one I hatched after saving or am i doing it wrong? What IV calculator you guys use to calculate level 1 mobs IVs?

Is this a perfect test parents? I mean dragonite has outstanding cant be beat as the guy said in HP, Def, SDef, Spd and my ditto is Atak and SAtak?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)