1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on Discord and enjoy your stay!
  2. The moderators of this forum are DHR-107, Codraroll, and NoCheese.
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Fennekin, Nov 1, 2013.

1. EIFF

EIFF

What about the randomly generated IV, that is not inherid from any parents? Does that IV change or stay the same?

If it stays the same:
    Lets say that I breed some Pokemon where both have less than 31 IV in Atk. Still I get an offspring with 31 Atk, meaning that the RNG generated 31 Atk as the random non-inherid IV. If I now switch parents to two 5x31 IV parents lacking Atk IV, will they generate a 6x31 flawless baby (since 5 31 IVs are inherid, while Atk is "random")?
  2. lbottallo

lbottallo

So far, in my experiments, the random IV stayed the same as well. So yeah, you would be able to get a 6x31 baby, flawless.

EDIT : Also, I have a question. If I breed a Male pokémon with a Ditto, is the Ditto still considered the Male in the passing of IVs? Or since the other one is male, it inherits IVs from that one?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. iruchii

iruchii

Ditto assumes the female position (that sounded weird) in this case. Tested it already.
    And I'm also getting the same random IV every experiment. So I guess it's safe to say it stays the same. Now to roll for a 31!
    lucariojr and lbottallo like this.
  4. HabibsHotDogs

HabibsHotDogs

So what you're telling me is that, in theory, I could catch a couple of 3 and 4IV ditto. Then get a synchronize pokemon and catch a stack of pokemon I want (say petilil for example) with the nature I want. Then when I figure out the way the destiny knot works, i can go right from a 2 or 3IV pokemon to a 5IV one?

Sounds like a great idea when dealing with pokemon with low female rates (like Lucario for example).
  5. Hozu

Hozu RNGenius
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Kazo tested and found that the PID is kept too, but if the species of the egg has a different gender ratio than the previous breed, it may be changed to fit the predetermined gender. So for shiny 50/50 things, breed Magikarp one at a time, saving before the egg is generated each time. If it hatches shiny, reset, swap parents, done.
  6. Fennekin

Fennekin

This was addressed on page one -_- No, it does NOT work for shininess.
    Edit: Unless you meant what Hozu stated.
  7. BlakDragon

BlakDragon

I may have hit a snag.

I tried to bag me a flawless adamant Beldum using these steps, but the judge in Kiloude gave a review of it that didn't match the IV combination I was aiming for. I think the cause is the parent Beldum I used: it has a different OT from mine. Will edit this post later with results after I breed for a beldum with parents that are both under my OT.

edit: Yeah this method doesn't seem to work consistently...or at all if both parents are genderless. I keep getting mixed results, none of which is the result I want.
  8. iruchii

iruchii

Actually, genderless Pokémon have been giving me problems and inconsistent results. I will do more testing in regards to genderless stuff tonight.
  9. Goodbar

Goodbar

I don't know if this solves the issue for the above two posters, but are you using a test pairing that are ditto/genderless?

Also yea this is pretty interesting, thanks for the info. Not a HUGE help in most cases since if you had the right parents you could breed 1-2 flawless Pokemon in the same amount of time it takes to check a test egg but it gives you the option to produce any 1 thing you want with 100% results.

Now for the wildcard IV - does that stay the same if you reset as well or is it randomly generated the next time?
  10. MrBearington

MrBearington

Alright, I have to be doing something wrong here. So I:
    1. Put a Male Mawile with 31 in everything and a female Flabebe holding Destiny Knot with no 31 IVs in the daycare.
    2. Biked around till the guy had an egg for me.
    3. Rejected the egg
    4. Saved
    5. Soft Reset
    6. Biked around till he had another egg.
    7. Hatched it and took it to the IV checker

The IV checker said the hatched Flabebe had 31 in Attack and Speed, so I think cool! Now I'll just replace the Flabebe with a female Mawile that has 31 in everything but speed to see what the inheritances are. Since the baby is inheriting attack and speed from the father, one of HP/Def/Spa/SpD is the wildcard and the other three are inherited from the mother.

So I:
    8. Soft Reset
    9. Take the female Mawile out of the daycare.
    10. Take the Flabebe out of the daycare.
    11. Swap the Destiny know over the the female Mawile.
    12. Put the female Mawile in the daycare.
    13. Run around till an egg pops out.
    14. Hatch it.
    15. Take it to the IV checker

And I end up getting a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Mawile. What happened?
  11. Darkmaster77

Darkmaster77

I "set" an Egg with HA using Moxie Female Gyarados + Ditto, then swap parent for Hidden Ability Male Lucario + Ditto and the egg comes with the Hidden Ability, so it doesn't matter if it is Male or Female when u swap (well just remember that Male HA+Female non HA doesnt produce an Egg with HA), it just check for HA and produce an egg with it, i dont know if this was posted before.
  12. Hozu

Hozu RNGenius
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Seems like gender is kept, and because of it, it can modify the stored PID.
  13. BlakDragon

BlakDragon

There. Don't soft reset after rejecting eggs. Continue biking until he has a new one for you. Idk if that's why you've received your error, but SRing right after rejecting the egg isn't something you're supposed to do.
  14. Uranicus

Uranicus

I don't think the soft reset would have changed anything. We specifically save after rejecting the first egg because at that point the RNGs are fixed. Any soft reset after that won't change anything. The best I can come up with is that the attack was actually the RNG, and it happened on 31. But because of the fixing, it should always be 31, and he should have produced a 6/6 baby. On a slight side note, this is why I use two pokes that I all have different IVs that I know exactly, helps eliminate a little of that 'hoping it didnt random 31'. But, anyhow, if he didn't produce a full 6/6, then he's missed telling us something. Might want to double check your poke's you are using. Using a pair of pokes that you KNOW all the IVs and are all different makes this a lot easier.
  15. Hitokiri Battousai

Hitokiri Battousai

i do things sightly differently myself i use parents that between them cover every possible max IV but for the stat i want to be random i make sure both parents have the 31 for it this way as soon as i take them to the IV judge im very likely to know if the stat i wanted to be random is (unless it happened to roll a 31) as if the judge doesn't comment on it that means it is the random this time

as an example im breeding for a Adamant Hidden ability Dratini with 31/31/31/?/31/31 so i have a Female adamant Hidden ability Dratini with
    31/31/?/31/31/31 and a Ditto with ?/?/31/31/?/? so should i not see the judge mention Sp.attack i know it was inherited from neither parents and its my random
  16. Homeslice

Homeslice

So what I'm getting is when you dump the parents, Destiny Knot immediately chooses which 5 ivs will be chosen for the next egg you receive? Like I can reject egg, check ivs, and if its the five I want for any random mon, I soft reset and can put in literally any parents I want that fit the bill? I.e. find out dad gives HP/Def and mom gives Atk/SpD/Spe and I swap both for completely different egg group parents (Magikarp + Something else for Abra and Mienfoo, for example) and same ivs should be passed down?

Maybe that's whats causing inconsistencies in Genderless Pokemon, maybe this RNGing needs to be the same egg group for it to work?
  17. Kyurem

Kyurem

Should be noted, someone in this topic on GameFAQs did get a shiny during this process, but when he reloaded his save file to check if the egg would remain shiny, it no longer was. Same IV spread though.
  18. AdmiredFob

AdmiredFob

Yes, this makes a lot more sense now. It involves "locking" the IV's the game will pass down from either parent and whatnot. Worst way for me to rephrase that, ever. Thank you for clearing it up. :)
    Mario With Lasers likes this.
  19. DunnoBro

DunnoBro

Does the HA stay locked too? Like, rattled female karp passes it on to the child, will another HA female be guaranteed to pass down the HA?

And would this also work for pokemon with multiple abilities, assuming you use a scout with them? (not just HA) As in, thick fat(1st ability) gets passed down by female marill scout, would it be guaranteed to be sturdy(1st) on sudowoodo?
  20. Agonist

Agonist The day the world went away
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

21. SeanAxel

SeanAxel

So is the IV inheritance locked forever, or will the inheritance of IVs change with what pokemon is stored in the daycare?

Also, do you only have to reject the egg the first time, or rejecting another egg changes up the RNG?
  22. DunnoBro

DunnoBro

I'd also like to know if it ever gets reset without actually getting another egg.

Could you trade after a reset, take the pokemon out, then ideally get a proper breeder traded to you to take advantage of it? I'd imagine this could be helpful if you find a child inherited a random 31, 30 iv(for hidden powers) or 0 iv.
  23. iruchii

iruchii

Each time you reject a new egg, the inheritance RNG changes.

I'm not sure if trading messes it up, but I don't think it should.
  24. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx

This is probably good for having 3x31 IV dittos and a random 2iv pokemon from the safari, then pretty much getting an easy 5x31 IV Pokemon.
  25. Shinryu

Shinryu

Can confirm or at least back up gender ratio affects egg rng abuse. Spent a couple of hours wondering why the hell a Kangaskhan wasn't inheriting the IVs breeding with my Bulbasaur that was predicted by my pair of Magikarps. Someone on IRC said that gender ratio might be affecting it, so I swapped out Kangaskhan for a female Bulbasaur and bam, it inherited the IVs predicted by my Magikarps.

So yeah, kinda messes up breeding for Kangaskhan it looks like, possibly other 100% male/female Pokemon? I don't have a Ditto atm so can't test that out, but I dunno, maybe that would let it inherit the IVs since genderless breeding works with Ditto using this method I thought I heard.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)