Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Ok I know this works. I've created like a few 5 IV pokemon, but the question is. If I get the stats I want being passed down. If I keep getting that egg and hatch it. And it's not shiny. I just soft reset and repeat. Will it have a chance of being shiny? Or it's locked once I generated that egg or whatever.

Are you sure, iruchii? I've tried this with a 5 IV egg where Attack was the uninherited, nonperfect stat and it seemed to be set in stone. No number of resets changed the value.
Ok I'm like 10 years late.
I still haven't tried this method though and can't because school has started -.-
So it seems it does not work?

Any confirmed data on abilities passing down? If I'm using two magikarp without a HA to scout IV's, the ability is always going to be swift swim. Now when I put in two pokemon with two abilities, how does it determine which ability will pass down? Is it always going to be the ability that's in the same spot as swift swim? That's assuming it get's locked when it determines the IV's that are passing down, and isn't random. I'm getting frustrated because I find the correct spread of IV's with magikarp, then I switch to my two drilbur (female with sand rush, male with sand force) who fit those IV's, and I keep getting a baby with sand force instead of sand rush.

I figure that the best way to get flawless Pokemon is to breed two of the same species with the same gender ratio as what you're aiming to get with no perfect IVs. Then, once you notice a 31 in one stat, you can switch in the appropriate parents to get a flawless child. I've been using two Pidgeys as my scouts, and a 31 IV in Sp. Attack just appeared. I happened to have a 31/31/31/x/31/31 male Ekans and female Bagon from previous breeding attempts, so I switched them in. A few thousand steps and one application of Hatching Power Lv. 3 later, a flawless Naive Bagon hatched from the egg.

As such, I'm inclined to agree with the poster who said that this method works best for any IV combination with less than a 1/96 chance of occurring. It's far better to increase your effective chance of getting a flawless child to 1/32 than it is to bike around for a 1/192 chance.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any confirmed data on abilities passing down? If I'm using two magikarp without a HA to scout IV's, the ability is always going to be swift swim. Now when I put in two pokemon with two abilities, how does it determine which ability will pass down? Is it always going to be the ability that's in the same spot as swift swim? That's assuming it get's locked when it determines the IV's that are passing down, and isn't random. I'm getting frustrated because I find the correct spread of IV's with magikarp, then I switch to my two drilbur (female with sand rush, male with sand force) who fit those IV's, and I keep getting a baby with sand force instead of sand rush.
Magikarp can have Swift Swim as Ability 0, or Ability 1. So you should use Marill instead, since it has two different abilities (Thick Fat and Huge Power, in that order), which you can use to determine what ability the eggs with have if you replace them.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Here is a list of useful alternatives to Magikarp that have multiple abilities and varying gender ratios.

Togepi - 11 egg cycles, 7:1 male-female
Abra - 16 egg cycles, 3:1 male-female
Skitty - 16 egg cycles, 1:3 male-female
Pachirisu and Croagunk - 11 egg cycles: 1:1 male-female
Kangaskhan - 21 egg cycles, 100% female
Tauros - 21 egg cycles, 100% male
Magnemite - 21 egg cycles, genderless

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Oh hey this seems really useful. A shame it won't work for me as I can't check IVs that easily while I play (on my way to work/college at the bus).

I have something to ask, based on sprocket's post. Has anyone tried breeding for unreleased DW abilities? I know iruchii tried Skrelp already, but it has a 1:1 gender ratio and he used Nidoran-F for that, which obviously messed the inherintance. I think Croagunk would work (two abilities+DW, same gender ratio) but I don't know how many egg cycles it would take for Skrelp. Graveler has the same gender ratio and also three abilities but needs 16 egg cycles, so there's another possibility.

I'll probably try this myself if no one else does two hours from now

After rejecting the first egg, saving, and locking the frame of the next inheritance, will wild battles, speaking to npc or doing any sort of thing afterwards advance the locked frame? I know by reading the previous comments that trading has no effect on changing the frame.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh hey this seems really useful. A shame it won't work for me as I can't check IVs that easily while I play (on my way to work/college at the bus).

I have something to ask, based on sprocket's post. Has anyone tried breeding for unreleased DW abilities? I know iruchii tried Skrelp already, but it has a 1:1 gender ratio and he used Nidoran-F for that, which obviously messed the inherintance. I think Croagunk would work (two abilities+DW, same gender ratio) but I don't know how many egg cycles it would take for Skrelp. Graveler has the same gender ratio and also three abilities but needs 16 egg cycles, so there's another possibility.

How would you breed for it?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
How would you breed for it?
1. Put male Croagunk and female HA Croagunk in the Day-Care.
2. Walk for a while, reject the first Egg (*shrugs*), save.
3. Walk a bit more, get the second Egg.
4. Hatch it, check if it has Poison Touch (Hidden Ability).
5. If it doesn't, reset and return to 2.
6. If it does, reset, take both Croagunk and put two Skrelp in their place.

In theory, it *shouldn't* work because the mother doesn't have Adaptability, but we don't fully know how breeding works this gen so it's possible the HA flag is set for the Egg along with the inherintance spread and such. This is why I think it's worth a test.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

This is actually pretty well understood.

Mom HA + any Dad = possible HA child
Dad HA + Ditto = possible HA child
Dad HA + Mom no HA = Never HA child
Dad/Mom no HA + Ditto = Never HA child

So it is impossible to breed for unreleased hidden abilities (ie: Dragalge)

Last edited:
So I would need to use two regular parents if I used two regular ones in the first place? Would the same hold true if I used a Ditto + Normal to check?

Or do you mean that because it's 100% female, then it screws it up?

Last edited:
I'm using a Magikarp and a Japanese Magikarp as my stand-ins. Obviously there's some play with the abilities, but at the moment I'm mainly looking for Masuda-Methoding.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So I would need to use two regular parents if I used two regular ones in the first place? Would the same hold true if I used a Ditto + Normal to check?

Or do you mean that because it's 100% female, then it screws it up?
You need to use parents with the same gender ratio as the one you will ultimately use. IE if you want to use a Ditto + Kangaskhan, you should use a Ditto + Kangaskhan for confirming inheritances.

Hold up, someone help me clear a few questions.

I understand the whole process (reject egg, save, hatch, check, then rinse and repeat as needed) but I'm still confused on a few parts.

I can't use 2 magikarp to check the inheritance then swap them over for something like say two charmander and expect the same inheritance?

Also, what do I use to check IVs? I've been using 31/x/31/x/x31 and x/31/x/31/x/31/x magikarps but it's hard narrowing down the random IV when I keep having three left to deduce. Or would it be easier to use two 5 IV'ed mons?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Hold up, someone help me clear a few questions.

I understand the whole process (reject egg, save, hatch, check, then rinse and repeat as needed) but I'm still confused on a few parts.

I can't use 2 magikarp to check the inheritance then swap them over for something like say two charmander and expect the same inheritance?

Also, what do I use to check IVs? I've been using 31/x/31/x/x31 and x/31/x/31/x/31/x magikarps but it's hard narrowing down the random IV when I keep having three left to deduce. Or would it be easier to use two 5 IV'ed mons?
Ideally you really want to use two dummy pokemon that you figured out the exact IVs fer without any overlapping IVs of any kind (ie the HP Iv on one is 5, the other is NOT 5). That way you can figure out the EXACT inheritance occuring.

Two Magikarp works fine if your target Pokemon have a 50/50 gender ratio, which the majority do.

You see, this confuses me. You still have to breed the same number of eggs, and you still have to check until you get the spread you want. How is this any better from just breeding the two parents from the get-go?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
You see, this confuses me. You still have to breed the same number of eggs, and you still have to check until you get the spread you want. How is this any better from just breeding the two parents from the get-go?
It works best when you have a VERY large pool of parents to work with that have a wide mix of possible IVs. It also results in less spitbacks. But as far as time investment, its about the same.

This is actually pretty well understood.

Mom HA + any Dad = possible HA child
Dad HA + Ditto = possible HA child
Dad HA + Mom no HA = Less likely HA child
Dad/Mom no HA + Ditto = Never HA child

So it is impossible to breed for unreleased hidden abilities (ie: Dragalge)

At above post: ^

Only the female mon passes abilities unless a Ditto is involved. Thus, if you breed a Male HA mon with a female non-HA mon, you will never get a baby with an HA because the mother doesn't have the HA.

So the way I see it while this can be done using random "scout" mons (given their IVs differ), it would be much faster to actually have a 31/31/31/0/0/0 and 0/0/0/31/31/31 couple for all male:female ratios, since then you could simply use the IV judge in kiloude instead of having to go to the battle institute, which not only takes a bit more time but at level 50 the calculator isn't 100% sure about some stats.

Getting all those perfect pairs as scouters however seems like a huge effort, I wonder.

That's an idea I've had in my head for a couple of days now, but like you said, breeding it would be so annoying. =( It is indeed an amazing scout. And no Rare Candies or whatever evolved, just the judge. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)