SpeedShuffling: A Discussion of Swift Destruction (+1 example set!)

What do you think?

• Total voters
Just thought I'd bring this up.... Weavile and Infernape get assist in HG/SS.
If Infernape does get Assist, then we got out answer to all those levitators(Bronzong and Flygon).

A set that could work for it would be

Infernape@Choice Scarf
252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 filler
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Modest
-Assist
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power

A set like this can act both as an Assist user and a way of dealing with Bronzong and Flygon. The reason why I chose a modest nature is that Infernape with a Scarf is already fast enough with, and it would need the power to dent Bronzong with Fire Blast.

If Infernape does get Assist, then we got out answer to all those levitators(Bronzong and Flygon).

A set that could work for it would be

Infernape@Choice Scarf
252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 filler
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Modest
-Assist
-Fire Blast
-Hidden Power

A set like this can act both as an Assist user and a way of dealing with Bronzong and Flygon. The reason why I chose a modest nature is that Infernape with a Scarf is already fast enough with, and it would need the power to dent Bronzong with Fire Blast.
A set like that is undesirable as if/when Infernape dies, your other assist users have a less chance to choose a phazing move (Roar/Whirlwind). Also, you lose one pokemon with Roar/Whirlwind so the chances of phazing are lowered by a lot.

Edit: However, I just checked and Infernape learns roar as well.

So similar to the Persian/Purugly set. Maybe something like

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
252 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly/Timid
~ Assist
~ Roar
~ Magic Coat
~ Counter

The thing is, the plan can be easily spoiled by Taunt; especially on a team with multiple taunters. If that happens, such as a Taunt Gyarados, it can Dragon Dance on the next turn and devastate your entire team.

That's unlikely as the Assisters have about 500+ speed. But it is possible to be taunted if you choose a move other than Roar/Whirlwind.

Teams based around a strategy such as assist/speed-shuffling or baton pass always have a set of things that'll badly screw them.
There are theoretically ways around the problems but you probably won't be able to avoid your worst fears 100% of the time.
That said, I don't think the fact that a strategy can be countered makes it infeasible unless the counters are really easy to pull off.

Someone playing against a speed-shuffling team that wishes to taunt will have to hope that when their taunter is dragged out something occurs other than assist selecting a phazing move.
Otherwise they'll need to have a taunter faster than the 500+ speed assisters which is very unlikely unless it's a scarfed aerodactyl/crobat that's designed as a counter.

Anyway, I like the idea of the infernape as a scizor check and for bronzong etc.
Also, the fire attack and hidden power will not be selected when infernape uses assist.
However, if there are other assisters they might pick up infernape's moves.

I must say that I read this thread with interest as I have never thought of something like this before.
It would be an absolutely annoying way to lose. I love it!

I've actually been testing that set of Latias lately, with DP being the last move.

It works surprisingly well!

Exactly, your honor! The very existence of his statement causes a contradiction in it: this thread is obviously alive! Take that!

This thread makes be grumble because I thought up this idea years ago! But instead of whining I will discuss things.

The issue with this type of team is always the luck: for every non-phaze move you have the chance of getting a phaze move from assist decreases. You also need at least two non-phase moves: stealth rock and a way to kill the last Pokemon. Even if your way to kill the last pokemon is not assist-clickable, you've still removed a percentage or two from your "accuracy" thanks to stealth rock and probably spikes. This is the primary issue, not mentioning things that will screw you to no end like taunt leads and scizor.

We've already established this, if only roundaboutly. But what this unfortunately means is that this thread's trolls are right: this strategy is but a gimmic. We could go for ages doing silly things like scizor lures with counter and it will be great fun, but from a competitive standpoint it will be little more. Don't get too into it.

That all said, I say that being little more then a lot of fun is more than enough, so let's give slap a focus sash on Rhyperior and give him counter!

Sounds like a fun option to any shoddy/PO griefer :naughty:. I look forward to further testing of this.
...this thread has been dead for months. why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)