SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-114795

Replay of the above, couple of nice offensive teams with a couple threatening megas on both sides - mega pert is obviously very threatening to lochie's team if dod gets rain up safely, and dod has only a shaky check to lochie's m-scept in scarf garde. Early game dodmen manages to get some nice damage in with a liechi entei, taking out most of mence and coba before lochie managed to get rid of it. Dod then makes some weird decisions with his sableye on mscept in the midgame, dunno that I woulda stayed in there for that long against it - Mscept then goes on a bit of a rampage before the endgame. Unfortunate that it came down to rolls at the end but pokemon is a bad game.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Claw vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 103-123 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 4.8% chance to 3HKO What actually happened: 31.5
252+ Atk Doublade Shadow Sneak vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 58-70 (16.2 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO What actually happened: 17.7
252 SpA Gardevoir Moonblast vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 139-165 (39 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO What actually happened: 43.8

Assuming Dodmen was 60 hp Mega-Swampert, Gardevoir still needed a high roll to beat Swampert as it was 45% displayed (we don't know the actual amount cuz percentages arent exact but w/e.) Rolls didn't make too much of a difference as must of the rolls were close to the median anyways. A few more high rolls could've made CallofLochie win but the RNG Gods weren't feeling it today. But boy was it a fun game, really came down to the wire and that live was amazing. Definitely a good game and a joy to watch.

Rolls didn't make too much of a difference as must of the rolls were close to the median anyways.

The game was literally decided by the rolls, how does that mean the rolls didn't make a difference ?_?

Regardless, it was a very fun game, I thoroughly enjoyed it, I don't think there was much else I could have done. There were a few riskier plays that could have been that might have favoured me one way or another, but at the end of the day, I put myself in the best situation I could to win (thinking that Swampert was just a stock 252/252 spread) but unfortunately for me (and luckily for dod he put those 60 HP EVs on his Swampert), which was ultimately the deciding factor in the game. So kudos to him, I'm disappointed I lost in the circumstances I did but am more than happy that dod was able to pick up his first win, so yeah that's pretty much all i've got to say :]

P.S. The rest of you can critically analyse all mine and dod's plays and w/e as much as you see fit but at the end of the day, me and dod had no control over that outcome so it doesn't particularly matter :toast:

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
reposting this in here

ORAS UU: kokoloko vs dodmen still the best uuer in my eyes and will take this one
ORAS UU: teal6 vs Omfuga the hax gods of this tour themselves D: given it to teal tho
ORAS UU: xMarth vs Leftiez marth is just gonna keep on winnin
ORAS UU: Calloflochie vs Disenchanted not to be rude but idk who disenchanted is so ill give it too ex tier leader D:
ORAS UU: Hikari vs bugzinator both have brought fun teams so this should be an interesting one

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks like there are some shake-ups, with Leftiez and Disenchanted taking over dice and Mazar's slots this week. Should be an interesting set. Honestly every single game this week looks like it has a ton of potential - I'm looking forward to it!

fuga v. teal, koko v. dod, and hikari v. bugzinator should be really fun to watch, really hard games to predict. so i'm not going to lol. As for leftiez and disenchanted joining the fray this week, I'm not too sure what they're capable of since in my time on smogon i have never seen either of them play UU, but i know they're both competent players in OU so they should be perfectly capable of holding their own. The sheer surprise factor of not putting these guy in UU over say, BW OU, is strange, but again, perfectly capable players imo. Looking forward to all the matches this week!

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
kokoloko vs dodmen: I don't think dodmen has reached 100% in either of his matches yet and I think he will need to be at 100 to beat koko.

teal6 vs Omfuga: think Omfuga has a lil more tour experience which could make the difference here, although with the SPL these two have had so far I expect a few crits n misses along the way.

xMarth vs Leftiez: Marth has been v solid so far, only thing he has to worry about is making sure he varies his team choices because his play has been on point so far. A tough first UU game for Leftiez.

Hikari vs bugzinator: Been pretty solid so far, played very well in both weeks so I expect a return to winning ways here.

Never seen disenchanted play UU so not gonna bother trying to predict.

Last edited:
Ooo hogg you're not the first one to post the replay, how rare!

Seems like Marth gave his aero a lesson in evading blasts, allowing it to pursuitkill the tornadus early on which really sucked for leftiez. After that Marth kept adding pressure with some hard hitting knock offs from krook and a really-on-point switch to whimsi to keep cobalion from setting up; (don't really know if marth read the volt switch on whims when he u-turned cause that couldve gone very differently). The game kept making up to marth for the teal game with the flinch and surviving the stone edge which, depending on the used spread, was probably a roll (please correct me if i'm wrong because i used the "OU BULKY DRAGON DANCE SPREAD" given by the calculator and looks like ass to calc).

252 Atk Cobalion Stone Edge vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 206-244 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

another flinch (this time on cobalion) and that was that.

Conclusion: Nothing is stopping a Lucky Marth.
Don't let this get to you Leftiez, Marth kept his head up and came back strong you'll do the same

The turn 1 dazzling gleam basically won the game for teal given fuga's reasonably poor mpert answers at that point. Going to empoleon on that arcanine looked odd to me given that it ate shit from every one of its moves except espeed (which fuga wasn't clicking) assuming the standard fb/cc/wild charge/espeed set but I guess it was his least useful mon? The other option to sac was cloyster I guess which had the same problems.

I really liked fuga's team - fun offensive mons backed with a blissey/gligar defensive core. Probably twave blissey if I had to guess given how much cb arc and crab appreciate it.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
that was actually the saddest thing i've ever seen.

lochie brings the most stall-weak team ive ever seen and then happens to run tspikes on fucking megabee against the only stall that can't handle tspikes in the entire planet despite there being a billion ways to handle it including good grounded psns to use on stall

lol

hey kokoloko my fren

yea, not sure what that game was either, lochie played that well tho. he had some cool team choices as well, curious as to what set that lax was though, maybe it was cb or custap boom. i kinda wish vaporeon was good though x_x

A win is a win koko :]

And the Lax was curse, so there's that. Idk I think my matchup was rather poor but my play during the game was good enough to put me in a spot to win. People are always going to criticise the teams top level players use but at the end of the day I won so I don't really care :toast::toast::toast:

GG to disenchanted tho

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Damn, I was really hoping to see CM Gardevoir from team preview; it would have been insane in that matchup. Regardless, TrickScarf more than pulled its weight and TSpikes Beedrill made a fun appearance and pretty much saved the game. GGs both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)