Star Wars Battlefront

Okay so this just came out, it's an FPS based on the Star Wars universe. Some of you might have played the old Battlefront games, and they are similar to this but there are some new additions. Probably the biggest addition this game brought which the previous Battlefront games didn't have, is heroes. In battles you can find hero pickups, which allow you to become either Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, or Princess Leia if you are the rebels, and if you are the empire you can choose between Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and Emperor Palpatine. They are very good and kill all enemies with just one or two hits, and have more health than ordinary troops. Yeah, they are really broken.

I've really been enjoying Walker Assault, especially Endor and Hoth, haven't really given other game modes a real try yet. The only thing I find annoying about this game is being on team with people who actually have zero idea about what the objective is, and just run past uplink stations without activating them and stuff like that. Otherwise this is a really good game and I highly recommend buying it. Tell me your thoughts about it!

Eh...I played it and it honestly feels VERY shallow at least compared to Battlefront 2. There are SOOO many maps, characters, modes in the previous games. I mean...only 4 maps? What kind of shit is that? There's no space combat. There's no Republic vs. CIS. It just doesn't feel worth $60 compared to what the previous games gave us.

SWBF2 actually had several playable heroes which were awarded to the players on each team, and a Hero Assault mode where everyone played as Heroes. It actually had a competitive following on PC; it was *incredibly* flawed, but many people at least wanted a sequel...

I dunno, on paper I would be its audience since I'm a big Star Wars fan. But I really never cared for FPS much, and this doesn't even have a single player campaign I thought I heard?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It has a few single player missions, but nothing "worthy" of being considered a campaign. It wouldn't even be that hard to do in all fairness because some of the cinematics for the Survival/Battle/Tutorial are actually really pretty. I think the main issue is the lack of "good" maps for a campaign mode. They would have to make new progressional maps, or change how some of the objectives work. A mode like Galactic Conquest wouldn't go a miss though (but again, only 4 planets atm with Jakku coming).

I've played this a reasonable amount over the weekend, and I am honestly not very good at it, but I am enjoying it all the same. The sound/audio is absolutely perfect. The gun handling can be a bit awkward sometimes though.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So my question is: is it worth getting a PS4 over (don't tell me to get a PC, please, I want to get the nostalgia factor by playing it on a console)?

So my question is: is it worth getting a PS4 over (don't tell me to get a PC, please, I want to get the nostalgia factor by playing it on a console)?
I'd wait it out honestly. It's certainly a fun game but it's no BFI or II and you better not go in with that expectation (it's much better when I accepted that it was only going to be Battlefront in name only). Maybe in a year or so, if it's still popular, they might release a special edition with all the DLC included or something. But, I will not say it's worth buying a whole system for (unless there's other things you were thinking of getting)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
From what I've seen so far, I think I prefer to stick with good ol' SWBFII. Running a few mods on it, and having loads of fun. The Hoth map might be my favourite, because of how the advantage seems to swing back and forth as the battle progresses. At the start, the rebels have all the defensive positions, turrets, ammo droids and the like, and they can comfortably pick off the Empire troops as they move across the wide open landscape. Then the AT-ATs show up, and everything turns sour. Turrets blow up, spawn points are overrun, everything out in the open is mowed down as the AT-ATs destroy anything in their path (while also acting as moving spawn points), pushing the rebels back. It takes effort to destroy the AT-ATs and turn the situation back to your advantage.

Or you could just use the hero characters and wreak absolute havoc.

Space battles are fun too, if a little repetitive. It's fun to dogfight for a while, but eventually you fall back to the more reliable tactic of infiltrating the enemy ship or going on bombing runs to win the battle faster.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just cracked this open today, and I've completed a few of the tutorial missions so far. I've never been very good at FPS type games so it will take me a while to get good at it, but it seems well put together. Sound and video are fantastic to be sure. I may need to up my controller sensitivity though, as aiming speed is painfully slow when you're trying to react to an incoming aerial target or shake the pesky TIE fighter who's been on your tail for 10 minutes

Acklow

tfw you buy a ps4 with this in the bundle on sale, tfw enjoy the game but wish to play w/friends.

I've been enjoying this game, but my biggest gripe is the minimap, which can often be deceiving of where to expect end its from. Supremacy is one of those game modes where you wish there was a minimap that gave you specific control point spots, because little arrows pointing you where to go often can lead you into taking a route where you waste time or get shot. Also if the other team knows what to do, they are going to do much better than you.

So far from what I can tell is this is the kind of game you would play with your squad. You will have more fun the more people you play with that you know, since you can collab on attacks.

Anyways, hmu if you want to play, we can share psn accts and stuff.

if anyone wants to play BFII on pc feel free to get in touch, there's an easy patch you can use to replace the (defunct) official server list

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
if anyone wants to play BFII on pc feel free to get in touch, there's an easy patch you can use to replace the (defunct) official server list
Does it actually work? Cause matchmaking on PC is totally fucked right now... It's impossible to find a game since Jakku came out :(

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Played this game when I went over to a friend's house today.

I honestly feel like II was significantly better and more fun because it felt like Star Wars; this game just feels like your average FPS with a Star Wars skin. Also having less content (from what I've seen) than II is pretty bullshit.

It wasn't unplayable or horrible since I still enjoyed myself with my friends, but the game feels empty and manipulative.

It didn't have clone wars or as many heroes but it still was really fun to play and it had load outs and hero abilities, as well as more multiplayer modes. The gestures they added are very funny...

jay

I’m thinking bout changing the culture
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've invested around 30 Hours or so into SWB, and I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. While I am heavily disappointed due to the lack of content in the vanilla game, this also makes me look forward to DLC even more. The only notable issue I've noticed are the rebels spawns, they have objectively better spawns than the empire in every game mode with more than 12 players. Other than that I love the game and plan to play it for a while.

I've invested around 30 Hours or so into SWB, and I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. While I am heavily disappointed due to the lack of content in the vanilla game, this also makes me look forward to DLC even more. The only notable issue I've noticed are the rebels spawns, they have objectively better spawns than the empire in every game mode with more than 12 players. Other than that I love the game and plan to play it for a while.
I agree, somehow, EA have made the game very fun to plan still....

do the vehicles/weapons balance out the spawns at all? battlefront maps have always been very asymmetrical.

jay

do the vehicles/weapons balance out the spawns at all? battlefront maps have always been very asymmetrical.
The rebels have the A-Wing which beats every other vehicle in the game in 1v1 situations 98% of the time and weapons could balance out the spawns if all of the rebel players had no gun skill at all. Hopefully they will give the empire's vehicles a buff in the next patch because they 100% need one.

Acklow

Yeah and a nerf to the fucking DL-44 which everyone and their mother uses. At least make the gun a 3-4 shot to kill instead of a 2 shot...

jay

Yeah and a nerf to the fucking DL-44 which everyone and their mother uses. At least make the gun a 3-4 shot to kill instead of a 2 shot...
Eh, it's not as bad as the bowcaster+jumpack imo.

Acklow

tfw the new survival map doesn't even have Ion Rocket or Ion Shot to deal with the Tie Fighters. You literally have to rely on luck getting the Smart Rocket and hoping you can hit the damn things.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/outer-rim

Okay... So the newest DLC is out sometime soon... And they added fucking Nien Numb and Greedo as heroes...

The former never wields a gun in the films (I am aware of his involvement in the book Twilight Company) and the latter shoots and misses at point blank range in the re-released special editions (otherwise he just dies for no reason apart from showing Han shoots first and asks questions later). Just... What the hell are Dice even thinking? These are two very minor characters... They are in no way "iconic" in the slightest and the Rodian and Sullustans skins are already in the game!

Considering that there are four planned dlc heroes and villains, I guess they were just getting the least underwhelming characters out of the way first (My guess is Chewbacca, Lando, and Obi-Wan being the last three heroes). That being said, it's hard to call Greedo "in no way iconic", especially with Han shoots first becoming one of the largest movie quarrels in cinematic history during the 80s. I'm pretty sure Nien Numb was a fan favorite in the 80s as well, similar to how we glorify TR-8R despite being seen for 30 seconds. I do agree that Dice is going least-influential to most-influential, however.

There's not that many villains in the original trilogy that I can think of for dlc, either. Tarkin is one, and the rest that pop into mind are those bounty hunters with five seconds of cameo in Empire, who each acquired large fanbases and EU backstories.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Well, there is a lot of arguing over how EA have worded the Hero stuff..

They stated "Four new Heroes and Villains"... We don't know if this is four of each, or two of each (totaling four). If it's the latter, I can't really imagine then NOT putting in Chewie OR Ben (Or hell, even Lando)... But I would be amazed if they added both and had uneven Heroes Vs Villains... Only other "Villain" you didn't mention might be General Veers (who led the Hoth attack). A lot of people are pushing for Bossk as the other Villain as he has rivaly with Chewie... Imo Tarkin is too old to lead troops in battle, he'd essentially be a Leia clone.

The only reservation I have with Chewbacca being added is how tall he is compared to everyone else. You can get away with a bit of artistic license with Vader (Who is supposed to be like 6'6 or something), but not with Chewbacca who is over 7 feet. He might be too tall to be a character...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)