State of the Game: 02/27/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
While my suggestion isn't as important/necessary for CaPASB, but I believe to have your team approved it must be checked over by two refs so we can avoid the mistakes that occurred with Thunder on Joltik (cancelling the battle it was in). This allows less room for mistakes (*coughKAXTARcough*), and it's rather easy since most of you are on at similar times. In response to your questions:

1. How are the new buffs to 4x weaknesses impacting the game?
Personally, these new changes haven't affected me that much because none of my current Pokemon have 4x weaks, however a situation where one of my Pokemon has a 4x effective move against an opponent will come up in a round or so (Horsea is the more badass dragon, fucker Gible).

2. There are very few Item Enabled battles. What are the reasons for this hesitancy?
For one, at this stage of the game, items are rather rare, plus they aren't particularly cost effective. A berry is used up - Pokemon are not.

3. Chills were buffed to 12% Energy after the last SotG. Are there still complaints about energy cost/healing or has the increase made enough of an impact?
idk this hasn't occurred in my battles yet because Cubchoo is a badass Pokemon usually faint after after fainting another Pokemon (except Slowpoke that fuckers bulky).

4. Evolution and Single Stage Rarity Cost were greatly extended in the last SotG. Are you pleased with the new evolution/capture pace of these changes?
As much as I hate them, I feel they are necessary.

I agree that the confusion/attract/sleep nerfs are unneeded. Maybe over time for repeated use, but there's no reason the first use of sleep shouldn't be guaranteed to sleep a Pokemon for at least 2 turns. As for items, battles without them are easier. More permanent items would probably see more usage (I'm testing this by trying to get a Thick Club) but berries being lost after battles makes them worth less than a Pokemon. Anybody who plays more than 1v1 with items shouldn't be expected to have a net loss on Trainer Counters just by paying to replenish berries.

My solution to sleep with old mechanics: Sleep Talk. I suggested last SotG a change of mechanics, if sleep talk could choose what attack to use and only added on a few Energy points (Sleep Talk + Selected move) it would make Sleep more effective at slowly draining Energy than disabling them entirely.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Might as well answer the questions.

Deck Knight said:
1. How are the new buffs to 4x weaknesses impacting the game?
I really haven't experienced it all too much, but it made my battle with Venser quite a close one.

2. There are very few Item Enabled battles. What are the reasons for this hesitancy?
Cost-efficiency is the main issue here. A lot of people agree that this stuff costs too much for what it's worth. Personally, I would like to see these items having their effects buffed (specifically regenerative items like Oran Berries). Items like Signature items should also allow more Pokemon to use them (maybe have Pokemon in the same evo line be able to use them, so Luck-Punch would allow Blissey to use it as well). I don't think complexity is an issue as much as cost-efficiency, because I could get a Pokemon who knows Recover for cheaper than an Oran Berry. Also, maybe items deserve to be used multiple times in a battle (or sold in quantity for the price they are currently worth, so Oran Berries would be 3 TC for 5 Oran Berries).

3. Chills were buffed to 12% Energy after the last SotG. Are there still complaints about energy cost/healing or has the increase made enough of an impact?
The metagame is way too fast-paced to see the effects of chills. I don't think that any stall-wars have occurred, and energy doesn't go down quick enough to see any changes. Personally, I want to see chills buffed a bit further, but I don't think that this kind of thing will happen...

4. Evolution and Single Stage Rarity Cost were greatly extended in the last SotG. Are you pleased with the new evolution/capture pace of these changes?

I think that the change is good and it makes sense.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a few days overdue, but anyway.

Sleep/Confusion/Attract:

I'm thinking of changing it to 2/3/4 then 1/2/3 subsequently. Currently there are other resitrictions on them like 11+ BAP moves sending down a stage or striking self in confusion.

Items: I don't really want to add an Item Counter to a mon since that doesn't seem like a thing that should be individualized, and I don't necessarily want to add to TC either.

I'm thinking about having a trade-in for every consumable, where you can claim a consumable item of equal value to the attached consumables at the end of the match. So if you're in a 3vs3 you can trade in your 3 used berries for a more expensive berry that has 6 cost for example. Then again this problem might fix itself with RPs.

RE Trainer Tiers:

I don't think its neccesary now since every new Pokemon starts off the same when obtained by players both old and new. It might be something to consider in the future though.

RE Taunt:

Since it's come up in some other threads, I see no problems with Taunt. It's now got an energy cost on par with weather and lasts 2/5ths as long. It can be reflected by Magic Coat, and even if Taunted, "attack mercilessly" is a perfectly viable strategy that Taunt invites. Almost every status can be inflicted via the right damaging moves, and so can stat drops. There's no denying its a powerful move, but that's why it eats up 10% of your energy per use.

RE Taunt:

Since it's come up in some other threads, I see no problems with Taunt. It's now got an energy cost on par with weather and lasts 2/5ths as long. It can be reflected by Magic Coat, and even if Taunted, "attack mercilessly" is a perfectly viable strategy that Taunt invites. Almost every status can be inflicted via the right damaging moves, and so can stat drops. There's no denying its a powerful move, but that's why it eats up 10% of your energy per use.
Just curious - did this change in BW? Because Magic Coat didn't reflect Taunt in the 4th gen.

Magic Mirror has the same affect as Magic Coat in 5th gen. (also for the record, Deoxys-s uses magic coat sometimes to be able to reflect hazards/taunt :P)

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
It's been absolutely ages since the last State of the Game thread, but I have a suggestion for it. Clearly we don't have enough refs at the moment. People like Flora (who has 8 battles on the go now, and that's just reffing) are the only ones holding the system together because so few people are reffing. Can I suggest that you get three times the number of ref tokens, and that tokens owned now are multiplied by three, and that you have to use two to get anything? It might increase the number of refs we get. Either way, something will need to be done.

It's been absolutely ages since the last State of the Game thread, but I have a suggestion for it. Clearly we don't have enough refs at the moment. People like Flora (who has 8 battles on the go now, and that's just reffing) are the only ones holding the system together because so few people are reffing. Can I suggest that you get three times the number of ref tokens, and that tokens owned now are multiplied by three, and that you have to use two to get anything? It might increase the number of refs we get. Either way, something will need to be done.
I understand your concern, but as a person who reffed a lot of games so far I can tell you it would be way too much of a reward for reffing. If that was the rate of the Ref counters, as of now I'd probably have full-fledged movepools with at least 3 of my Pokémon, and probably a couple more fully-evolved mons.

However, doubling the Ref counters gotten would probably be fine. As of now, getting 1 Ref token for a 1v1 battle is not that much of an incentive, since it's still something like 2-3 hours of work for 1 mere token. Maybe if it were 2 tokens it would be more attractive.

Anyway, once I'll be back on Monday from Venice, expect me taking on as a referee more matches^^

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
As someone that has reffed / is reffing almost ten battles, I think I'm qualified to state my opinion.

Ref Tokens are an amazing form of currency right now. If you look at my registration page and click on the Token Pocket section under "Backpack," you will find that I have obtained 17 Ref Tokens. That's almost enough to evolve a Bagon and a Dratini to a Salamence and Dragonite right off the bat (disregarding the rule about having to battle). 17 Ref Tokens is also enough to buy four 4th Generation TM moves, the most expensive moves you can buy. Like zarator, I don't support having another added bonus to reffing.

What I'd like to see in terms of reffing, however, is a change in how rewards are issued. Currently, a 3v3 Singles battle nets you 3 Ref Tokens, while a 4v4 Doubles nets you twice as many (6 for those who don't like arithmetic). However, even without looking at the ref tokens, I would much rather ref a 4v4 Doubles than a 3v3 Singles. Personally, I want reffing to be an enjoyable activity, so more actions lead to a more interesting update. In a Singles battle, I end up having to go "X uses Y, which hits/miss Z. Z takes the hit well, and (counters/retaliates/counterattacks) with A, hitting for (trivial/small/some/significant/huge) damage." In a Doubles battle, there are twice as many actions, which means you can use some creativity and writing it isn't so tedious. Along the same vein, I'm loving reffing Tag-Team battles right now, mainly because of the actions taken in each round. I'd like Singles battles to have a small increase in rewards, since they actually are tedious to ref. I'd also like for 1v1 Singles to get an increase in rewards, since it's actually too much work for too little gain.

Another idea if it's not too tiring for the moderators; is there some way of cleaning up the Battle Tower / Prize Claiming thread? Something such as deleting matches requests/accepts once the people and the refs have been found could work. Similarly, you could delete prize claims and the confirmation once both were found (or after a week or something). Of course, this is only if the mods have the time to do so.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any major concerns can be brought up in the new SotG thread. I know it took a while, but I think the timeframe has actually been good, since it gives people an idea of what the game is like with a more prolonged time before rule changes. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)