SubSplit Rotom-W (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

i think lefties is more useful than LO becuase ur using substitue. ur'll get warn down too fast unless u have a wish passer, even then hazards will wear u down

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, this Rotom-W is meant to be used as an offensive sweeper, not as a defensive pivot or check. This is certainly an effective set, especially under Rain.

I say stick with max Speed - being faster than Toxicroak helps, especially when using a Rain team. However, put those HP EVs into Special Defense since this would allow its sub to absorb Gastrodon's Scald better, and that's really the only purpose those defensive EVs have. In fact, make the spread 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe, since the extra 16 SpD EVs doesn't increase the chance of Sub surviving Gastrodon's Rain-boosted Scald (62.5% chance). I would mention an Alternative 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe Spread to have the highest chance of surviving Gastrodon's Scald without compromising too much of its SpA and Speed (330 SpA and enough Speed to outrun Dragonite, Gyarados, and +ve Spe Politoed / Breloom / Cloyster). Yes the 4 SpD makes a difference.

I have some nitpicks:
- This Rotom-W has the niche of being able to pull off Life Orb effectively
Mention that Substiute helps in utilizing Life Orb, as it prevents Rotom-W from easily getting revenge-killed or forced out, which was a problem I encountered with JellyOs's Offensive Rotom-W's set. In combination with Pain Split, it allows Rotom-W to stick around, while making use of the Life Orb boost.
- Discharge can be used for paralysis support. Paralysis support will allow Rotom-W to support its teammates better, set up substitutes more easily, and an option to threaten the Lati twins with.
This goes into AC.
- Due to the nature of using SubSplit, this set actually can perform as well, possibly better, when used in Sandstorm as opposed to Rain.
Completely false - Rotom-W wants to heal up with Pain Split only when necessary, and Sandstorm just exacerbates Rotom-W's longevity issues, especially when it is using Substitute and Life Orb. Rain is virtually the unconditional weather of choice for the immense power boost in Hydro Pump and Thunder. Please change this statement.
- A mono-attacking set is possible to use with Wil-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave, but this severely undermines the offensive presence of this set
Terrible option, especially since Hydro Pump has PP issues. Remove this statement.
-A Timid Nature can be used, but a Modest Nature is preferred here since it gives the most power and the paralysis chance induced by Discharge makes up for the lack of speed.
Change Discharge to Thunder, since this Rotom-W should be used in Rain for optimal performance, or otherwise Thunderbolt is arguably better than Discharge anyways.
- Pokemon who would benefit from paralysis support would pair well with this set
Remove this statement, since 30% is not a reliable source of paralysis, and this set is primarily meant to punch holes, not to spread paralysis (it doesn't have the bulk to spam weak Discharges).
- Tyranitar and Hippowdon make good teammates as well, since their Sandstorm will allow Rotom-W to have his HP closer to zero.
This is not a good thing, please remove.
- Toxic Spikes users greatly benefit this Rotom-W set. In particular Tentacruel and Roserade. Tentacruel works very well on Rain teams this Rotom-W might find himself on, while Roserade can beat the spinners so desperately trying to get rid of Toxic Spikes.
Mention that Roserade is also useful for dispatching Gastrodon and discouraging Gastrodon from switching into 1 layer of Toxic Spikes to only be inflicted with regular poison.
Celebi is a very big counter to this set, resisting both its STAB's while not caring about paralysis with natural cure. Due to Giga Drain and Recover, it is not as vulnerable to Pain Split as other Pokemon are, although she must watch out for Toxic Spikes. Breloom resists Rotom's moves, is immune to paralysis and Toxic Spikes with Poison Heal, and doesn't care about Pain Spilt because of Substitute and Poison Heal. Ferrothorn falls under a similar boat, except he must watch out for Pain Split crippling him.
Remove the mention of Breloom, since even Bulk Up Breloom is a 2HKO in the Rain. You should mention Chansey and Blissey, who are peeved by Pain Split but can still comfortably take 2 HPumps. Don't forget to mention the big bad boy Gastrodon

You can also mention Spikes support as well as Toxic Spikes support to bring those special walls (yes even Blissey / Chansey) into Rotom-W's 2HKO range. 220 HP Celebi is a 2HKO with 1 SR & 1 Spikes; Chansey and Blissey is a 2HKO with 1 SR & 2 Spikes. This is taking into account the boost from Rain.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, don't emphasize paralysis support, and emphasize Rotom-W's sheer power that sets it apart from the more utility-oriented Rotom-W variants. You should emphasize Rain & Toxic Spikes, too. And I agree with PK Gaming - make Thunder the main electric STAB of choice and drop the rest into AC. I may even say Discharge isn't even worth an AC, since Thunder and TB outclass it.

Plz make these changes PillsburyDoughBoy, so we can get your set on-site!

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
However, put those HP EVs into Special Defense since this would allow its sub to absorb Gastrodon's Scald better, and that's really the only purpose those defensive EVs have. In fact, make the spread 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe, since the extra 16 SpD EVs doesn't increase the chance of Sub surviving Gastrodon's Rain-boosted Scald (62.5% chance).
How is surviving Gastrodon's Scald significant if this set can't do a thing to it? I would keep the EVs in HP, since Rotom's HP is much lower than its SDef and would thus buffer its overall bulk more.

Also, I think you might have done your calcs wrong because I'm getting:

Gastrodon 0 SAtk Scald vs. 32 HP / 0 SDef Rotom-W: 22.9% - 26.9%
Gastrodon 0 SAtk Scald vs. 0 HP / 20 SDef Rotom-W: 22.4% - 27%

More or less the same damage.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well the idea is that among an unbreakable Substitute, Pain Split, and Toxic Spikes, Rotom-W can stall and force Gastrodon out so that it can launch an attack against Pokemon more vulnerable to it.

How is surviving Gastrodon's Scald significant if this set can't do a thing to it? I would keep the EVs in HP, since Rotom's HP is much lower than its SDef and would thus buffer its overall bulk more.
Gastrodon is a signifigant benchmark because with Toxic Spikes support (or if Gastrodon is Toxic'ed) it gives this set the oppurtunity to beat it 1 vs 1.

Thanks for clearing some things up Pocket. The OP has to be editted because it has not been updated in a while. I'll try to make these changes ASAP and see what I can do (posting this from my phone, my internet has been acting a little wacky just recently).

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
How odd, I haven't seen damage calculators disagree before xD.

I would still keep the current spread. It's more efficient and yields a LO number. The situations where surviving that Scald would make a difference are few and far between anyway.

I can't believe we are debating something so trivial.

Pocket

Honestly I don't think that LO number / Leftover number prevails all - esp. when Substitute, Pain Split, SR comes into play. I'd much rather prioritize efficiency in EV spread before adding HP EVs just to end up with 9 HP after 10 LO recoils (and somehow Rotom-W doesn't use Pain Split or Sub, or took damage from weak hits / SR).

I wasn't the one who started this debate -_-

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I dunno why you mention efficiency when 32 HP / 0 SDef is clearly better in that regard. I just feel it makes more sense to invest in HP on a Poke that has low HP and good SDef.

I wasn't the one who started this debate -_-
:P

Pocket

I only wasted 20 EVs in defenses which was originally 32 EVs - that's efficiency. This Rotom-W isn't meant to take hits anyways, so mine as well put those EVs into SpD to optimize the chance of surviving Scalds.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Well, I would agree with you in that regard, but our damage calculators disagree with each other. Can anyone confirm which calculation is correct?

The few times that I've used SubSplit Rotom in the past, it has had amazing results. Under rain, it 3hkos even Blissey and Ferrothorn, treating the former as a free heal via pain split. Although Toxic Spikes have already been discussed at length, I'd like to re-emphasize just how useful to rotom they are. They put a timer on gastrodon and allow rotom to stall him out, and they also help rotom beat a great number of other specially based walls that he would otherwise have quite a bit of trouble with. They also help to bait in spinners that rotom can dispatch from behind a substitute.

In my opinion, the superior item for rotom is Life Orb. He really appreciates the extra power, and with some hp investment and pain split on his side, the recoil is no large issue. With a life orb, rotom is doing ~45% to ferrothorn under rain, which comes in very handy.

Just my two cents.

Pocket

Super Mario Bro, we got the same calcs, but you somehow calculated the chance of Sub breaking wrongly.

The damage range is in 1/16th interval, so I have no clue how you get 46.15 or 53.84% chance of survival, since those are impossible chance rates.

Here are the 16 damage choices for 32 HP (249 HP): 57, 57, 58, 59, 60, 60, 60, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64, 65, 66, 66, 67 - 9/16 success rate
Here are the 16 damage choices for 20 SDef (241 HP): 54, 55, 56, 57, 57, 58, 59, 60, 60, 60, 61, 62, 63, 63, 64, 65 - 10/16 success rate

The bolded damage range is when the Sub breaks. This is why I like the damage calc I use, cuz you can make these accurate calculations.

I say stick with max Speed - being faster than Toxicroak helps, especially when using a Rain team. However, put those HP EVs into Special Defense since this would allow its sub to absorb Gastrodon's Scald better, and that's really the only purpose those defensive EVs have. In fact, make the spread 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe, since the extra 16 SpD EVs doesn't increase the chance of Sub surviving Gastrodon's Rain-boosted Scald (62.5% chance). I would mention an Alternative 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe Spread to have the highest chance of surviving Gastrodon's Scald without compromising too much of its SpA and Speed (330 SpA and enough Speed to outrun Dragonite, Gyarados, and +ve Spe Politoed / Breloom / Cloyster). Yes the 4 SpD makes a difference.
Not to bring up another EV'ing debate, but here it goes:

For this spread: 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Could we shave off one more EV off of speed and put it into special attack since Toxicroack is 269 and max speed Rotom is 271 (unless we want to tie with a tricked non-scarf Modest Rotom). That one EV makes us 270 which still outspeeds i.e. 248 Spe.
For this spread: 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
In a similar vein could we shave off one more speed EV for it to be 262 Speed as opposed to 263 speed unless 263 outpaces something I don't recognize, 262 outspeeds Adamant Gyarados. For this EV spread I am unsure where to put that extra EV: defense, HP, or SpA?

I'll make the edits to the original post tonight with your/you guys suggestions. Before getting the final check I just want to clear up two things. First, should thunderbolt get a slash or should I just have Thunder (making "exclusively Rain" set not just optimized in Rain). Second, SD Toxicroak (yes he is found on rain teams), really worth outspeeding by sacrificing Max SpA/Bulk? It's a set found as much as Flygon in OU and he can bypass the speed with Sucker Punch. We have Substitute on the Sucker Punches, but if we have Sub doesn't that bypass his speed anyway? Now I could see this argument being null if max SpA doesn't guarantee any KO's that 236 EV's wouldn't, but I have a feeling it could help out with Dnite (from experience Dnite has lived with 2% after SR and Thunder). I don't really know, its pretty minor so I'll let you decide.

Pocket

Nah, stick with max Speed. Dragonite dies to a LO Thunder after Rocks, 87.5% of the time anyways, and the extra point in SpA wont improve your chances.

263 Spe outpaces Jolly Breloom, Timid SpecsToed, and Jolly Cloyster - and again, the extra SpA point wont change anything.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the first spread: The extra SpA won't make a difference, and tying with the odd max Speed Rotom-W will be more favorable in that same situation. Keep it the way it is.

Second spread: That amount of EVs allow Rotom-W to tie with max speed Politoed, Breloom, and Cloyster, so keep it the way it is as well.

The rest of your concerns: The rest of the Rotom-W sets don't slash Thunder as an option, and they all work well in rain, so don't do it. Thunder also OHKOs Dragonite after rocks 87.5% of the time, so, again, don't do anything about it.

Pocket

Thanks for making the changes, ThePillsburyDoughBoy! Just 3 things.

1) Under Teammates, suggest Ferrothorn for providing the Spikes necessary to nab that 2HKO on Chansey / Blissey / Celebi.

2)
In a similar vein, Rotom-W can annoy Chansey and Blissey if they have Flamethrower. Ferrothorn can find himself in a tough position if he lacks Power Whip.
  • Any good Blissey / Chansey would have Seismic Toss, so I would not say this. You could mention instead that Rotom-W can even dent these premier special walls thanks to the boost of Life Orb and Rain.

3)
- The current EV Spread gives Rotom-W the most speed and power while giving it a good chance to survive Gastrodon's Rain boosted Scald. An alternative EV spread of 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe gives Rotom-W the best chance of surviving Gastrodon's Scald without compromising to much speed or power. However with the alternative EV spread you will miss out on outspeeding certain threats such SD Toxicrock and tieing with opposing max speed, Modest Rotom-W.
  • The red highlighted part makes no sense, since this Rotom-W does not have max Speed. Just remove that part.

That is all - Good work!

QC Approved (3/3)

EDIT - 3 things, not 2 :x

Thanks Pocket btw:

3)
  • The red highlighted part makes no sense, since this Rotom-W does not have max Speed. Just remove that part.
Perhaps I should have made myself clear, but it sounded cubbersome. A Rotom-W that used trick however looking at the analysis on site it doesn't even slash Modest anymore for the Scarf Rotom. However on the usage statistics 53.3% use Modest Nature but only 38.5% are the bulkier Rotom-W's. I will remove nevertheless.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ch-Check it out I'm GPing.

GP 1/2

[SET]
name: SubSplit
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 236 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-W's low base HP makes it an excellent user of SubSplit. Rotom-W's typing grants himit multiple opportunities to set up Substitute during a match. The threat of Volt Switch found on the other of the washing machine's other sets can make obtaining the first substitute easy. By using Life Orb in combination with Pain Split and Substitute, Rotom-W has the most power baris stronger than any set, excluding Choice Specs, while not being prone to revenge killing or being low on healthmaintaining enough bulk to avoid being revenge killed. Under the right conditions, Rotom-W's usual counters will find themselves in tough positions.</p>

<p>Substitute and Pain Split form an effective combo that can put dents into opponents while safely restoring Rotom-W's health. The EV's's and a Modest nature are designed to give Rotom-W the most power and sSpeed while giving its Substitute a good chance of surviving Gastrodon's rain-boosted Scald. Hydro Pump provides Rotom-W a powerful STAB. In a similar vein, Thunderbolt is chosen for power over Electric movesto provide power while still remaining reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This Rotom-W by far works best in the rain, which powers up hiits Hydro Pump as well as giving himit access to us100% accurate Thunder. Not only is Thunder marginally more powerful than Thunderbolt, it gives himit a 30% paralysis chance to threaten typical switch-in's such ass, including Latios and Latias. While Discharge could be used over Thunderbolt for the paralysis chance, the power of Thunderbolt is preferred, while on rain teams, Thunder provides the same paralysis chance. A Timid nature could be used to outspeed certain threats, but again a Modest Nature is used as it offers the most power. Also, Substitute provides a way to bypass Speed, therefore Modest is the best option. An alternative EV spread of 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe to offers the best chance to have an intact Substitute after Gastrodon's rain boosted Scald without compromising too much speed or power. However, by using the alternative EV spread, you lose out ondo not outspeeding certain threats such as SDwords Dance Toxicrock and Jolly Cloyster.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Toxic Spikes greatly improves the effectiveness of this Rotom-W set. With two layers of down Toxic Spikes, Rotom-W has the potential to force out or stall out Gastrodon 1 vs 1. Thus, Tentacruel and Roserade are excellent teamates for supplying Toxic Spikes. Tentacruel also works great on Rrain teams t. This Rotom-W might find himitself on rain teams as well, as providing burn support in the form of Scald to make his Substitutes sturdierhelps the whole team. Roserade can beat the spinners that would so desperately try to spin away the Toxic Spikes while simultaneously dissuading Gastrodon from switching into only 1one layer of Toxic Spikes. As with any other Pokemon Spikes and Stealth Rock support is appreciated. In the rain, 220 HP Celebi finds itself 2HKO'ed by Hydro Pump with 1one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Similarly, Blissey and Chansey find themselves 2HKO'ed by a rain-boosted Hydro Pump with 2two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock. For this reason, Ferrothorn makeis a great teammate;, resisting Grass and providing Spikes. Of course, Politoed makeis a great team mate bypartner, providing Rrain whichto makes this set substantially more powerful.</p>

<p>Celebi is a very big counter to this set, resisting both its STAB's while being able to hit back with super effective attacks. Ferrothorn falls underis in a similar boat, except he must be more wary of Pain Split. However, Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip will find themselves unable to break Rotom-W's sSubstitute easily. Chansey and Blissey can take 2 Hydro Pumps, but dislike taking a Pain Split sapping away their health while refilling Rotom-W's. Lastly, Gastrodon counters this set completely, but must watch out for being Toxic'ed as well as being annoyed byToxic and Pain Split.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-W's low base HP makes it an excellent user of SubSplit. Rotom-W's typing grants it multiple opportunities to set up Substitute during a match. The threat of Volt Switch found on the other of the washing machine's other sets can make obtaining the first substitute easy. By using Life Orb in combination with Pain Split and Substitute, Rotom-W is stronger than any set, excluding Choice Specs, while maintaining enough bulk to avoid being revenge killed. Under the right conditions, Rotom-W's usual counters will find themselves in tough positions.</p>

<p>Substitute and Pain Split form an effective combo that can put dents into opponents while safely restoring Rotom-W's health. The EVs and a Modest nature are designed to give Rotom-W the most power and Speed while giving its Substitute a good chance of surviving Gastrodon's rain-boosted Scald. Hydro Pump provides Rotom-W a powerful STAB. In a similar vein, Thunderbolt is chosen to provide power while still remaining reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This Rotom-W by far works best in the rain, which powers up its Hydro Pump as well as giving it access to 100% accurate Thunder. Not only is Thunder marginally more powerful than Thunderbolt, it gives it a 30% paralysis chance to threaten typical switch-ins, including Latios and Latias. While Discharge could be used over Thunderbolt for the paralysis chance, the power of Thunderbolt is preferred, while on rain teams, Thunder provides the same paralysis chance. A Timid nature could be used to outspeed certain threats, but again a Modest Nature is used as it offers the most power. Also, Substitute provides a way to bypass Speed, therefore Modest is the best option. An alternative EV spread of 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe to offers the best chance to have an intact Substitute after Gastrodon's rain boosted Scald without compromising too much speed or power. However, by using the alternative EV spread, you do not outspeed certain threats such as Swords Dance Toxicrock and Jolly Cloyster.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Toxic Spikes greatly improves the effectiveness of this Rotom-W set. With two layers of Toxic Spikes, Rotom-W has the potential to force out or stall out Gastrodon. Thus, Tentacruel and Roserade are excellent teamates for supplying Toxic Spikes. Tentacruel also works great on rain teams. This Rotom-W might find itself on rain teams as well, as providing burn support in the form of Scald helps the whole team. Roserade can beat the spinners that would so desperately try to spin away the Toxic Spikes while simultaneously dissuading Gastrodon from switching into only one layer of Toxic Spikes. As with any other Pokemon Spikes and Stealth Rock support is appreciated. In the rain, 220 HP Celebi finds itself 2HKO'ed by Hydro Pump with one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Similarly, Blissey and Chansey find themselves 2HKO'ed by a rain-boosted Hydro Pump with two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock. For this reason, Ferrothorn is a great teammate, resisting Grass and providing Spikes. Of course, Politoed is a great partner, providing rain to make this set substantially more powerful.</p>

<p>Celebi is a very big counter to this set, resisting both its STABs while being able to hit back with super effective attacks. Ferrothorn is in a similar boat, except he must be more wary of Pain Split. However, Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip will find themselves unable to break Rotom-W's Substitute easily. Chansey and Blissey can take 2 Hydro Pumps, but dislike taking a Pain Split sapping away their health while refilling Rotom-W's. Lastly, Gastrodon counters this set completely, but must watch out for Toxic and Pain Split.</p>

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 2/2

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-W's low base HP makes it an excellent user of SubSplit. Rotom-W's typing grants it multiple opportunities to set up Substitute during a match. The threat of Volt Switch, which is commonly found on the other of the washing machine's other sets, can make obtaining the first substitute easy. By using Life Orb in combination with Pain Split and Substitute, this Rotom-W's power is stronger than any other popular set, excluding Choice Specs, while maintaining enough bulk to avoid being revenge killed. Under the right conditions, Rotom-W's usual counters will find themselves in tough positions.</p>

<p>Substitute and Pain Split form an effective combo that can put dents into opponents while safely restoring Rotom-W's health. The EVs and a Modest nature are designed to give Rotom-W the most power and Speed while giving its Substitute a good chance of surviving Gastrodon's rain-boosted Scald. Hydro Pump provides Rotom-W with a powerful STAB. I; in a similar vein, Thunderbolt is chosen to provide power while still remaining reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This Rotom-W by far works best in the rain, which powers up its Hydro Pump as well as giving it access to 100% accurate Thunder. Not only is Thunder marginallyuch more powerful than Thunderbolt, it also gives it a 30% paralysis chance to threaten typical switch-ins, includingsuch as Latios and Latias. While Discharge could be used over Thunderbolt for the paralysis chance, the power of Thunderbolt is preferred, while. When on rain teams, Thunder is best as it provides the same paralysis chance. A Timid nature could be used to outspeed certain threats, but again a Modest Nnature is used as it offers the most power. Also, Substitute provides a way to bypass Speed,gives Rotom-W a layer of safety, making Speed not such an issue, so therefore Modest is the best option. An alternative EV spread of 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe to offers the best chance to have an intact Substitute after Gastrodon's rain boosted Scald without compromising too much speed or power. However, bywhen using the alternative EV spread, you dobe aware that Rotom-W will not outspeed certain threats such as Swords Dance Toxicrocak and Jolly Cloyster.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Toxic Spikes greatly improves the effectiveness of this Rotom-W set. With two layers of Toxic Spikes, Rotom-W has the potential to force out or stall out Gastrodon. Thus, Tentacruel and Roserade are excellent teamates for supplying Toxic Spikes.; in addition, Tentacruel also works great on rain teams. This Rotom-W might find itself on rain teams as well, as providing burn support in the form of Scald helps the whole team.; Roserade can beat the spinners that would so desperately try to spin away the Toxic Spikes while simultaneously dissuading Gastrodon from switching into only one layer of Toxic Spikes. As with any other Pokemon, Spikes and Stealth Rock support is appreciated. In the rain, 220 HP Celebi finds itself 2HKO'ed by Hydro Pump withafter one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Similarly, Blissey and Chansey find themselves 2HKO'ed by a rain-boosted Hydro Pump withafter two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock. For this reason, Ferrothorn is a great teammate, doubly resisting Grass and providing Spikesmuch-needed Spikes and Stealth Rock support. Of course, Politoed is a great partner, providing the rain tohat makes this set substantially more powerful.</p>

<p>Celebi is a very big counter to this set, resisting both itRotom-W's STABs while being able to hit back with super effective attacks. Ferrothorn is in a similar boat, except heit must be more wary of Pain Split. However,Do note that Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip will find themselves unable to break Rotom-W's Substitute easily. Chansey and Blissey can take 2 Hydro Pumps with no sweat, but dislike takhaving a Pain Split sapping away their health while refilling Rotom-W's. Lastly, Gastrodon counters this set completely, but must watch out for Toxic Spikes and Pain Split.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Rotom-W's low base HP makes it an excellent user of SubSplit. Rotom-W's typing grants it multiple opportunities to set up Substitute during a match. The threat of Volt Switch, which is commonly found on the washing machine's other sets, can make obtaining the first substitute easy. By using Life Orb in combination with Pain Split and Substitute, this Rotom-W's power is stronger than any other popular set, excluding Choice Specs, while maintaining enough bulk to avoid being revenge killed. Under the right conditions, Rotom-W's usual counters will find themselves in tough positions.</p>

<p>Substitute and Pain Split form an effective combo that can put dents into opponents while safely restoring Rotom-W's health. The EVs and a Modest nature are designed to give Rotom-W the most power and Speed while giving its Substitute a good chance of surviving Gastrodon's rain-boosted Scald. Hydro Pump provides Rotom-W with a powerful STAB; in a similar vein, Thunderbolt is chosen to provide power while still remaining reliable.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> This Rotom-W by far works best in the rain, which powers up its Hydro Pump as well as giving it access to 100% accurate Thunder. Not only is Thunder much more powerful than Thunderbolt, it also gives a 30% paralysis chance to threaten typical switch-ins, such as Latios and Latias. While Discharge could be used over Thunderbolt for the paralysis chance, the power of Thunderbolt is preferred. When on rain teams, Thunder is best as it provides the same paralysis chance. A Timid nature could be used to outspeed certain threats, but again a Modest nature is used as it offers the most power. Also, Substitute gives Rotom-W a layer of safety, making Speed not such an issue, so therefore Modest is the best option. An alternative EV spread of 68 HP / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe offers the best chance to have an intact Substitute after Gastrodon's rain boosted Scald without compromising too much speed or power. However, when using the alternative EV spread, be aware that Rotom-W will not outspeed certain threats such as Swords Dance Toxicroak and Jolly Cloyster.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Toxic Spikes greatly improves the effectiveness of this Rotom-W set. With two layers of Toxic Spikes, Rotom-W has the potential to force out or stall out Gastrodon. Thus, Tentacruel and Roserade are excellent teamates for supplying Toxic Spikes; in addition, Tentacruel also works great on rain teams; Roserade can beat the spinners that would so desperately try to spin away the Toxic Spikes while simultaneously dissuading Gastrodon from switching into only one layer of Toxic Spikes. As with any other Pokemon, Spikes and Stealth Rock support is appreciated. In the rain, 220 HP Celebi finds itself 2HKOed by Hydro Pump after one layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Similarly, Blissey and Chansey find themselves 2HKOed by a rain-boosted Hydro Pump after two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock. For this reason, Ferrothorn is a great teammate, doubly resisting Grass and providing much-needed Spikes and Stealth Rock support. Of course, Politoed is a great partner, providing the rain that makes this set substantially more powerful.</p>

<p>Celebi is a very big counter to this set, resisting both Rotom-W's STABs while being able to hit back with super effective attacks. Ferrothorn is in a similar boat, except it must be more wary of Pain Split. Do note that Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip will find themselves unable to break Rotom-W's Substitute easily. Chansey and Blissey can take 2 Hydro Pumps with no sweat, but dislike having Pain Split sapping away their health while refilling Rotom-W's. Lastly, Gastrodon counters this set completely, but must watch out for Toxic Spikes and Pain Split.</p>

Alright this is done! I know it is late but maybe there should be a while in between these two sentences to makes flow/less robotic?

GP 2/2

<p>Rotom-W's low base HP makes it an excellent user of SubSplit. Rotom-W's typing grants it multiple opportunities to set up Substitute during a match.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)