Summer Olympic Games - London 2012

Surprised I didn't already find a thread about his.

http://www.london2012.com/

http://www.teamusa.org/

Olympic Games 27 July-12 Aug 2012

Youtube Channel

Facebook

Twitter

Well we're pretty much a few days from the day it starts. You may not be hyped now, you may not be hyped tomorrow, but you will get caught up in the excitement when the U.S. starts to dominate in every event. :p

I'm looking forward to soccer, swimming, diving, gymnastics, rowing and canoe/kayak.

What is everyone else looking forward to?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I love the gymnastics, aside from the obvious reasons, I just love it when they fall. Not because I am a jerk, or at least not as much of a jerk as you might think, it's just so tragic and moving when these people who spend years working towards something and push themselves to the limit only to fuck it up.

It's amazing TV. I really love the olympics tbh. The timezones are kinda shit for me, but I expect to be watching a couple of hours every night over the next month or so..

I love pretty much every single event. I love the atmosphere, I love the competition, I love it all. The Summer Olympics is about as good as it gets for me unless it's the NBA Finals or the Super Bowl and shit.

Thank god this is up. Was going to post something tomorrow if nothing was up. Besides baseball, the Olympics (especially the Winter Olympics) is the only other sports event that I really follow with a great passion. As a follower of pretty much every event (only event I don't watch at some point is Olympic boxing because it is a joke), I'm looking forward to the Opening Ceremony the most because it gets the whole thing started and it is truly beautiful.

Even though I will only root for two countries, the USA and whoever is playing Russia, I might have to make an exception to that guy who has no country in the Olympics. Wonder how they will announce him in the opening ceremonies. You can't put him ahead of Greece or have him come in after England. Regardless, my Tivo is going to be very very busy for the next few weeks. =P

I hope this NBC app is worth a damn, reviews make it sound like junk but if I can turn on the Olympics at work with it on my iPad (as the work computer obviously can't be used), I'll be happy.

I'll primarily be watching out for basketball and fencing, maybe taekwondo if I see it. Other than those, just tune into anything else on.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I really wanted UAE to hold on over Uruguay, but they just couldn't. Still YEAH JAPAN

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
posting to say this should be moved to chcl3 before some idiot makes another thread about the olympics there
umm these opening ceremonies are really awkward

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As evidenced from my new IRC nick ALEXMORGAN13, I'm a big fan of the US Women's Soccer Team. I really love almost all of the events, though.

@Hipmonlee: Yeah, gymnastics is one of the weirdest sports because you get only one or maybe two chances to get to the Olympics, which makes it so much more important for those participating in it.

VKCA

Hmm do you really think this should be moved there? If so, can a mod move it please?
lol

anyways,, case and point!

Balance beam and diving are what I'm looking forward to the most. Just so cool seeing these awesome things. Balance beam because I was an honorary judge at one of my sister's gymnastics comps so I've always felt entangled with it, diving because that shit is an art.

It's perfectly fine here.
Okay :)

Anyways, what did everyone think of the Opening Ceremony? For those of us that just watched it on the livestream, what did you think?

The James Bond thing was awesome, and Paul McCartney ending it was just perfect.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't follow sports, but when the Olympics come I get into it as much as others.

Couldn't be much more excited. The Olympics is such an awesome event, and I intend to watch as much of it as I possibly can.

Swimming is what I'm most interested in because that's my sport. Michael Phelps only needs three medals to become inarguably the greatest Olympian ever. Unless he gets really sick he will win way more than 3 (plus the US could just throw him in on the prelims of the 3 relays and that will get it done), but not all of them may be gold. Ryan Lochte, who's rightfully been getting a lot of press leading up to the games, will push Phelps in the two events they swim together, the two individual medleys. The Americans and the Australians also look to have a great race brewing in the 400 freestyle relay, but it can't possibly top the 2008 relay where Lezak came scorching back half a second faster than anybody has ever done 100 meters of freestyle. So stoked for swimming.

USA vs China in women's gymnastics will be interesting for the rivalry, and the inevitable controversy over the Chinese girls' ages. The USA seems deeper than in '08, and are actually favored to win which surprises me.

Then there's Bolt vs his teammate in the sprints and the American and Brazilian (I think) beach volleyball duos. I get especially excited about the rivalries.

Wasn't especially impressed by the opening ceremonies. Bits and pieces were well put together, and Mr. Bean was funny, but overall lacking. It'll be a great few weeks.

VKCA

Seriously? He completely messed up at the beginning of the song... I don't know exactly what went wrong but he was out of time with his backing track or something.
Yeah this was really fucking awkward. I heard echos of the song and just thought people were getting hyped up and singing before him, then he came in and started singing at the same time and then there was the double music etc..

I don't follow sports, but when the Olympics come I get into it as much as others.
I was going to say something about this but I guess the mods know best.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I thought the opening ceremonies were awesome.

And maybe it's just the teenage guy I am, but I've been a Jordyn Wieber fan for a while now and am super excited to see her compete ;)

Couldn't be much more excited. The Olympics is such an awesome event, and I intend to watch as much of it as I possibly can.

Swimming is what I'm most interested in because that's my sport. Michael Phelps only needs three medals to become inarguably the greatest Olympian ever. Unless he gets really sick he will win way more than 3 (plus the US could just throw him in on the prelims of the 3 relays and that will get it done), but not all of them may be gold. Ryan Lochte, who's rightfully been getting a lot of press leading up to the games, will push Phelps in the two events they swim together, the two individual medleys. The Americans and the Australians also look to have a great race brewing in the 400 freestyle relay, but it can't possibly top the 2000 relay where Thorpe snapped the Americans like guitar strings. So stoked for swimming.

USA vs China in women's gymnastics will be interesting for the rivalry, and the inevitable controversy over the Chinese girls' ages. The USA seems deeper than in '08, and are actually favored to win which surprises me.

Then there's Bolt vs his teammate in the sprints and the American and Brazilian (I think) beach volleyball duos. I get especially excited about the rivalries.

Wasn't especially impressed by the opening ceremonies. Bits and pieces were well put together, and Mr. Bean was funny, but overall lacking. It'll be a great few weeks.
Fixed

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This. The transition from the agrarian to the industrial era thing was way too dragged out and super boring. The children storybook and doctors thing was kinda boring too, though Voldemort looked really cool. The overall theme song was OK but got really repetitive and wasn't at all as impressive as the Beijing opening.

Anyway, as for the Olympics themselves, I'm super super pumped for nearly every event. I'm especially psyched for Misty May and Kerri Walsh tomorrow (I think they start tomorrow), and the swimming events.

I just love everything about the Olympics, so I'm going to be mega TV crazy for the next couple weeks lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)