SPOILERS! Sun & Moon In-Game Discovery Thread

What would be the best way of getting an Alolan Geodude with Galvanize? They keep Self Destructing, so I caught a Poliwag (now a Poliwhirl) with Damp, but that's weak to Thunder Punch. Paras is weak to Smack Down / Rock Throw. Might use Golduck instead as that's bulkier. I blew most of my money because I forgot about soft resetting. I thought about waiting until you fight the Gravelers, but they also have Self Destruct.

If anyone would be willing to trade me one, that would be great. Not fussed about IVs or level, would prefer Adamant, Naughty or Brave nature (but really if it isn't a -Attack nature I'll be happy). The best I can offer in return is a shiny Mankey nicknamed Sparkle. Can't remember its nature, but it has no EVs. I'm at route 12 right now and I have Moon, so if there's something else I can give you (within reason, I'm not farming for another shiny).

What would be the best way of getting an Alolan Geodude with Galvanize? They keep Self Destructing, so I caught a Poliwag (now a Poliwhirl) with Damp, but that's weak to Thunder Punch. Paras is weak to Smack Down / Rock Throw. Might use Golduck instead as that's bulkier. I blew most of my money because I forgot about soft resetting. I thought about waiting until you fight the Gravelers, but they also have Self Destruct.

If anyone would be willing to trade me one, that would be great. Not fussed about IVs or level, would prefer Adamant, Naughty or Brave nature (but really if it isn't a -Attack nature I'll be happy). The best I can offer in return is a shiny Mankey nicknamed Sparkle. Can't remember its nature, but it has no EVs. I'm at route 12 right now and I have Moon, so if there's something else I can give you (within reason, I'm not farming for another shiny).
imprison smeargle?

imprison smeargle?
Getting Imprison + Self Destruct would be incredibly difficult. The only way I can see is to have a Wild Smargle Sketch Role Play / Skill Swap, switch in a Pokémon with Damp + Hypnosis (catch a Poliwag), put the new Smeargle to sleep, switch in the Self Destruct mon then use Self Destruct and then the wild Smeargle will Sketch that when it wakes up. However, I don't have anything with Role Play and Smeargle will still get quickly worn down by the Geodudes as it's so frail.

I may have just completely failed to notice him the first time around and everyone else already knew this, but there was a guy in Seafolk Village Pokemon Center who had a shiny Exeggute and gives you six Nuggets afterwards.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Assuming you don't have a synchronizer in your party when you fight Tapu Koko right after your League victory, will Synchronize still work on it if you beat it and then go battle it at the Ruins of Conflict? I'd rather not shelve a mon just for Abra, but I want a good nature on Tapu Koko when I get it

In Battle Royal, Zoroark's Illusion ability instantly broke when it used it's Z-Move (it was the first to move in battle, so nothing had broken it before hand). So, if you thought you were going to do any trickery with Pokebank with Zoroark and Z-moves, tough.

In Poke Pelago, you don't have to click every single bean individually on Isle Abeens, you can simply hold and drag the stylus to collect them all. Thank god.

Last edited:
Island Scan pokemon aren't listed on serebii as spawning at specific routes and colloquially it seemed like they were random. But I've noticed they seem to spawn on routes where their (completely static) level makes sense, usually as the highest possible level available on that route.

For instance:
-Venipede on route 4, at level 14. The level range for that route is 11-14
-Bellsprout on route 5 at level 16. The level range is 13-16
-Gothita on route 6 at level 17. 14-17. I specifically tried SRing for this and it was always route 6
-Shinx on route 8 at level 20. 17-20.
-Emboar, level 43, ancient poni path. Level range caps out at 43

Coeur7 found his totodile in the same place i did: Seaside cave. He also found a reddit thread where 4 people found litwick at hauli's cemetery.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I didn't SR for anything, but my Totodile was LV12 in Seaward Cave, my Litwick was 10 at the cemetery, Cyndaquil was 10 (I think, might have been 12) at whatever that cliffside route where you get Rufflet is, and when I backtracked for Chikorita it was LV10 on Route 2.

So i was on my way to the Battle Restaurant and the "queen" shows up as soon as i enter. I dont know why, i actually dont go there to often and i have like 4 days with out going in.

Anyone knows when or why she shows up?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Assuming you don't have a synchronizer in your party when you fight Tapu Koko right after your League victory, will Synchronize still work on it if you beat it and then go battle it at the Ruins of Conflict? I'd rather not shelve a mon just for Abra, but I want a good nature on Tapu Koko when I get it
As far as I am aware this does not "count" and a "new" Tapu Koko spawns the next time you go to the altar and activate it.

In terms of Discoveries: I haven't made many others that haven't already been found in this thread. Just reading through it and saying things I remember which aren't listed MikeAU :

Hau'Oli Cemetary has Drifloons during the day and Misdreavus at night

Definitely worth picking up Brick Break before the trial considering what you come up against. Alolan Raticate in Moon and Yungoos in Sun.

Route 3 Berry Tree does not always guarantee a Crabrawler. This was kinda frustrating.

Seaward Cave needs access to Surf before you can get to the Grass in this area (Where Bagon is more common than on top of the cliff, and I also presume this is where Totodile spawns from Island Scan). This isn't available until Island Two.

Farthest Hollow also has Rockruff as a wild Encounter.

There's no information here about Hala's team (under Iki Town). He's a Fighting type trainer [Mankey/Makuhita/Crabrawler].

Might be an idea to "Split" the walkthrough as different Islands? Or put in a break or dashed line etc between the islands so you know where one ends and another begins.

There is an Oval Stone near the Nursery (In the small fenced off area in front of it).

Brooklet Hill has a teeny mention of Lana and the fact there is a trial there. Wishiwashi is potentially very scary at this point. The Scald TM is also located here and is definitely worth the 20 second detour to get (Second Pool, eastern side). It massively amps any water Pokemon up that you have available at that point.

Wela Volcano Park doesn't mention a Totem Trial or Kaiwe. It's also duplicated for some reason? Salazzle isn't as scary as Wishiwashi, but could potentially pose a problem due to its high speed. Kangaskhan is also available here as an ultra rare encounter (1%).

There's no mention of Lush Jungle, Meadow or her Trial either. Lurantis is a giant pain in the ass regardless of your team (you're very unlikely to OHKO). All you need to do is hunt around for a few items and the Grass Knot TM is also there. Lots of cool Pokemon in that location too.

Olivia's Store in Konikoni also sells the Fossils (Skull/Cover/Plume/Shield [I think those are the names, for Cranidos, Tirtouga, Archen and Sheildon]). Two of them are Moon and two are sun (one of each Gen 4/5).

Ruins of life is where you battle Olivia herself. She's a Rock trainer [Nosepass/Boldore/Lycanroc].

Hano Grand resort, and by extension Hano Beach (which is to the east) has some interesting things. The Beach allows you to get paid for picking up Pyukumuku repeatedly (20k a pop for a 2 minute minigame type thing). The Beach also has Staryus and Sandygasts on its northern end.

Malie Garden also has Araquanid/Poliwag and Magikarp available.

Route 11 also has Pancham as a wild Encounter. I think you've also managed to copy some info from the City into this route?

There is no mention of Mount Hokulani anywhere. Considering this is the location of Sophocles' Trial that kinda surprising. You also fight Molayne here too. Wild Pokemon in this area include Beldum, Fearow, Cleffa (night), Ditto, Minior and Skarmory.

Tapu Village/Route 14 should have the information about Captain Acerola and her Trial, as opposed to Route 15. Totem Mimikyu can be a real threat.

Route 15, Grimsley also gives you access to Sharpedo, which is basically Tauros on the water. It's also a lot of fun just zooming around all over the place. Route 14 is the location of the MegaMart, not 15.

I think you fight Nanu before you head off to the Aether Paradise again. He's got a Dark theme [Sableye, Krokorok, Alolan Persian].

Aether Paradise Round 2 is awesome and probably the most interesting part of the game. Things start coming to a head here.

Poni Island: Come on, at least name the Boats as the Pokemon they are! Huntail (I think) has a guy who gives you Magamarizer and Electarizer (To evolve Magmar/Electabuzz) [Same boat as Aerodactyl], Wailord has a place where you can get Heart Scales.
Ancient Poni Path is where Hapu lives and is also where you get the Machamp Pokeride for Strength.

Exeggutor Island has a forced Alolan Exeggutor encounter, it's also where you pick up the Sunne/Moone Flute.

Route 17 is back on Island 3, Probably worth explaining WHY you come back here and what happens next. Definitely worth talking about the summoning of the version legend and the tough fight which comes soon after.

Poni Island (Island 4), has proper names for all of its routes.

Vast Poni Canyon is also where Charjabug finally evolves into Vikavolt. You also fight newly crowned Kahuna Hapu who has a very strong team [Ground typed, Alolan Dugtrio, Gastrodon, Flygon, Mudsdale]. This area was absolute hell, it's very long and there are not many heal spots, but Lillie does her best to keep you going. You fight the Totem Kommo-O here, which is a tough fight all round. It loves spamming Clanging Scales quite a lot though.

After that, you head back to Tapu Village... And then up the mountain. You fight Gladion again, climb the mountain, fight Hau and then you head up to the Elite 4... Probably the toughest E4 for a while actually. A good mix of Pokemon and types.

Might have other stuff to add later.

One thing that I discovered for SOS chaining is to keep using Adrenaline Orbs instead of being PP stalled. The first one will be effective and use up 1, but the other ones will not use up any orbs and be ineffective. This will allow you to burn turns instead of attacking and switching. I don't know if anyone else has discovered this.

One thing that I discovered for SOS chaining is to keep using Adrenaline Orbs instead of being PP stalled. The first one will be effective and use up 1, but the other ones will not use up any orbs and be ineffective. This will allow you to burn turns instead of attacking and switching. I don't know if anyone else has discovered this.
wait, i knew that you can use the orbs to waste a turn, but i didn't know that the subsequent orbs wouldn't be consumed, even if they do use up a turn?

DHR-107 said:
Seaward Cave needs access to Surf before you can get to the Grass in this area (Where Bagon is more common than on top of the cliff, and I also presume this is where Totodile spawns from Island Scan). This isn't available until Island Two.
Totodile spawns in the cave itself. You don't need surf. (Pretty sure the grass outside counts as part of Kala'e Bay anyway.)

Completely trivial, but it seems like you can't encounter an Ultra Beast in an area where it's roaming if you don't have any Beast Balls in your bag. I'd been scheming them from Looker and had two as held items and none in my bag. After like 10 straight non-UB encounters, I took them back and the next encounters were the UBs.

Something is off with Electric Terrain - While catching Xurkitree, it knows both Electric Terrain and Hypnosis.

However, Electric Terrain prevents grounded pokemon from falling asleep, no big deal, right?

There presents the issue. Decidueye is grounded, but despite Electric Terrain being up, when Xurkitree uses Hypnosis, Decidueye will still fall asleep. So I'm not sure what changed with Electric Terrain, but it seems not -all- grounded pokemon are immune to sleep while Electric Terrain is up anymore, either there's a hidden "Grounded" or "Not Grounded" stat now, or something else.

there are no repeatable double battles as far as i can see, but s.o.s battles with wild smeargle (route 2, stay close to edge of first grass patch so the moving patch doesn't attack you) work very well for sketching, it's even easier than in previous gens because low-level smeargle will never really interfere with your plans. false swipe the first one and then switch to your "pivot" carrying the desired move. from that point, you are nearly guaranteed to reach a situation wherein you attack a smeargle with false swipe and the other one sketches your move. then switch in your own smeargle

encore was a bit more painful for me to sketch this way as its user lacked false swipe, but it all worked out. another tip: equip a chesto berry on your smeargle in attempts to sketch spore this way, for instance
It's much easier to use ditto for hard to get moves like encore. Move delete every move but that one move (like encore). Start with said pokemon in front. Encounter ditto. Let it transform into said move user. Switch in the smeargle you want to sketch the move with. Voila.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Something is off with Electric Terrain - While catching Xurkitree, it knows both Electric Terrain and Hypnosis.

However, Electric Terrain prevents grounded pokemon from falling asleep, no big deal, right?

There presents the issue. Decidueye is grounded, but despite Electric Terrain being up, when Xurkitree uses Hypnosis, Decidueye will still fall asleep. So I'm not sure what changed with Electric Terrain, but it seems not -all- grounded pokemon are immune to sleep while Electric Terrain is up anymore, either there's a hidden "Grounded" or "Not Grounded" stat now, or something else.
Can you retest this somehow? This is potentially very important as Tapu Koko can summon electric terrain on switch in. How far into the post game plot is finding Xurkitree?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)