SPOILERS! Sun & Moon In-Game Discovery Thread

Can you retest this somehow? This is potentially very important as Tapu Koko can summon electric terrain on switch in. How far into the post game plot is finding Xurkitree?
He's the 3rd Ultra Beast. Klefki seems to be immune to sleep as expected, but Decidueye falls asleep. So I'm not entirely sure what is going on.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
He's the 3rd Ultra Beast. Klefki seems to be immune to sleep as expected, but Decidueye falls asleep. So I'm not entirely sure what is going on.
There anyway you could post a video of this? Decidueye isn't holding an Air Balloon etc?

maybe decidueye is an exception due to an oversight. It loses the flying type on evolution, but they might have overlooked making sure it was grounded.

Probably worth looking at Gengar too if it is recreatable

Don't know if its been mentioned, but I was watching a free for all on YouTube, Jangmo-o Dragon Dance'd, Oricorio's Dancer kicked in ... and failed. They assumed it's because it had already moved that turn and was locked into a Choice Spec'd Air Slash, so that's something to consider if anyone was in a dancing mood.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Don't know if its been mentioned, but I was watching a free for all on YouTube, Jangmo-o Dragon Dance'd, Oricorio's Dancer kicked in ... and failed. They assumed it's because it had already moved that turn and was locked into a Choice Spec'd Air Slash, so that's something to consider if anyone was in a dancing mood.
Can you link said video? That sounds like something that Showdown would like to know.

Something is off with Electric Terrain - While catching Xurkitree, it knows both Electric Terrain and Hypnosis.

However, Electric Terrain prevents grounded pokemon from falling asleep, no big deal, right?

There presents the issue. Decidueye is grounded, but despite Electric Terrain being up, when Xurkitree uses Hypnosis, Decidueye will still fall asleep. So I'm not sure what changed with Electric Terrain, but it seems not -all- grounded pokemon are immune to sleep while Electric Terrain is up anymore, either there's a hidden "Grounded" or "Not Grounded" stat now, or something else.
I just tested this in a random battle. I sent out Tapu Koko to bring the terrain up, then switched to Decidueye. Had Decidueye Brave Bird to get chip damage on itself and then used Rest next turn. As expected, Rest failed due to the terrain.

There doesn't seem to be any special circumstances with Decidueye, it's appears to be grounded as you'd expect it to be.

Can you link said video? That sounds like something that Showdown would like to know.

At about the 16:20 mark. Warning about language, if you care about that kind of thing.

EDIT: Is it me, or does the colour you get/mouth you come out of in Battle Royal depend on the colour of the Pokemon you lead off with? Not that relevant, but I swear that's how its determined.

Last edited:
4/12/16:
Updated to current. DHR's post up to island 3.
Split main post in to 4 (by island)

I'm currently doing a Sun playthrough so i'll plug in any missing points as I go -- but thank you to everyone for taking the time so far to contribute!

maybe decidueye is an exception due to an oversight. It loses the flying type on evolution, but they might have overlooked making sure it was grounded.
I'm going to look in to this a little more -- very interesting point.

It's been commonly said that going to the "alternate dimension" (bring the cover legendary to the top of the mountain where you caught it) goes to a world where the time is offset by exactly 12 hours (normal Moon is day when it's night, but in the alt world it will be night at night). But has anyone experienced some weird time changes when going through the wormhole? When I went through it the first time, it was 11 PM (11 AM ingame), so the alt world should have been flipped to 11 PM. But when I got there, it was actually 6 PM (the guy in the Pokemon Center cafe tells you the time). That's not even a 6 hour difference, let alone 12. The next time I left the portal and then came back in, the hours were properly flipped by 12 hours as expected. Was this a glitch, or did Game Freak actually add a feature where you can (randomly) encounter unusual time offsets in the alt world? There's a GameFAQs topic where other people are also reporting oddities in the alt dimension, although it's hard to tell whether their issues were the same as mine.

So something regarding island scan...
Am I misunderstanding the QR codes?
I scanned starting with rowlet on Thursday, on Friday it told me I couldn't scan Rowlet since I already scanned it. Fair enough, I thought and proceeded to scan other codes. Same on Saturday and Sunday. Now, on the next Saturday, it suddenly lets me scan rowlet and the other codes I had already scanned. Is this normal?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Is it me, or does the colour you get/mouth you come out of in Battle Royal depend on the colour of the Pokemon you lead off with? Not that relevant, but I swear that's how its determined.
I've only ever done it once, but in the scripted one against Hau/Gladion/Kukui I came out of the green corner despite leading with Araquanid

So something regarding island scan...
Am I misunderstanding the QR codes?
I scanned starting with rowlet on Thursday, on Friday it told me I couldn't scan Rowlet since I already scanned it. Fair enough, I thought and proceeded to scan other codes. Same on Saturday and Sunday. Now, on the next Saturday, it suddenly lets me scan rowlet and the other codes I had already scanned. Is this normal?
yeah, happens with me too

I'm guessing there's just buffer (probably of a week) where you can't scan the same code twice. Probably to prevent you from just reusing one code 280 times

There anyway you could post a video of this? Decidueye isn't holding an Air Balloon etc?
I've already captured all of my Ultra Beasts/etc. sadly. I think Decidueye is the only pokemon I've had this happen with though. Like I said, Klefki wasn't able to be put to sleep, and later on on my second Xurkitree attempt, Smeargle wasn't as well.

Not sure if it's important either - but I was soaking Xurkitree as well.

It's not so much a discovery, per say, but if you're interested in the rough ball park of zygarde cells you currently have, you can just keep popping out zygardes out of the machine.

it will prioritize 50% first, and then give as many 10%s as it can make. So I've got my 50% and 4 10% so I'm somewhere between 91-99 cells

e: I HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED YOU CAN JUST FRIKKEN

CHECK THE ITEM AND IT WIL LTELL YOU HOW MANY CELLS

Last edited:
It's been commonly said that going to the "alternate dimension" (bring the cover legendary to the top of the mountain where you caught it) goes to a world where the time is offset by exactly 12 hours (normal Moon is day when it's night, but in the alt world it will be night at night). But has anyone experienced some weird time changes when going through the wormhole?
Not sure if anyone even read this or cares, but I figured out the mechanics for this. When you go through the wormhole, the alternate world starts at exactly 6:00 (either AM or PM, the opposite of what your ingame time was when you entered). It is NOT a direct 12 hour offset, it just jumps straight to 6:00 regardless of the original time. So the offset could be anywhere from 1-12 hours from "real time" depending on when you enter. Time flows normally in the alt world so you can basically make your offset whatever you want without changing your 3DS clock, just by going through the wormhole at a certain time of day and then staying there.

Not sure if anyone even read this or cares, but I figured out the mechanics for this. When you go through the wormhole, the alternate world starts at exactly 6:00 (either AM or PM, the opposite of what your ingame time was when you entered). It is NOT a direct 12 hour offset, it just jumps straight to 6:00 regardless of the original time. So the offset could be anywhere from 1-12 hours from "real time" depending on when you enter. Time flows normally in the alt world so you can basically make your offset whatever you want without changing your 3DS clock, just by going through the wormhole at a certain time of day and then staying there.
Very interesting, so in Moon, if I wanted to achieve a permanent switch to a timezone that matches my real life one, I just have to jump into the hole at 6PM?

Very interesting, so in Moon, if I wanted to achieve a permanent switch to a timezone that matches my real life one, I just have to jump into the hole at 6PM?
Exactly, and I suspect that this will be the #1 use for the wormhole once more people figure it out, lol.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
re: hypnosis + electric terrain vs decidueye

Tested vs Golf Buddies Tara and Tina

I have Xurkitree and Decidueye

Turn 1 I set up Electric Terrain
Turn 2 Xurkitree used Hypnosis on Decidueye.
"Decidueye surrounded itself with electric terrain!"

Turn 3 I decided to fire off a Hypnosis to the enemy Oricorio and it hit, putting it to sleep.

I'm not sure what triggers the electric terrain/decidueye interaction. If it's true, maybe it's just specific to the Xurkitree battle?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
[22:26:52] Its_A_Random okay this is weird
[22:27:07] Its_A_Random been using soft reset methods to breed some cottonee
[22:27:09] DHR ?
[22:27:18] Its_A_Random reject first egg then get next five
[22:27:23] Its_A_Random three times in a row
[22:27:29] Its_A_Random they have had the same gender
[22:27:31] Its_A_Random female
[22:27:37] Its_A_Random same iv spread as before
[22:27:47] Its_A_Random same... everything
[22:27:49] Its_A_Random like
[22:27:55] Its_A_Random yeah
[22:27:57] DHR Are you changing when you pick them up
[22:28:06] DHR like, are you walking around breifly after rejecting first egg etc
[22:28:13] DHR otherwise you might be hitting the exact same seed
[22:28:14] DHR idk
[22:28:25] LegoFigure11 So it's like TMM but without TMM?
[22:28:29] Its_A_Random not changing
[22:28:55] LegoFigure11 Are all 5 eggs the same?
[22:29:15] Its_A_Random though next lot will be different because I did pelago > plaza before rejecting and saving
[22:29:26] Its_A_Random they were the same as the last reset
[22:29:32] Its_A_Random not the same as each other
[22:29:36] Its_A_Random but same as in
[22:29:48] Its_A_Random egg four last three times has the same data
[22:29:54] Its_A_Random etc
[22:29:55] LegoFigure11 1=1, 2=2, 3=3 etc
[22:29:59] Its_A_Random yeah
[22:30:07] Its_A_Random not adjusting movement though
[22:30:22] Its_A_Random before initial rejection
[22:30:27] LegoFigure11 Sounds like you're hitting the same seeds
[22:30:29] Its_A_Random this was not like it in xy
[22:30:33] Its_A_Random or oras
[22:31:33] Its_A_Random but yeah it's like
[22:31:42] Its_A_Random they want you to wonder trade your breedjects
[22:31:48] Its_A_Random and not soft reset like I do
[22:32:06] Its_A_Random if I dont get a desired from the bunch
[22:32:30] Its_A_Random I'll try moving around soonish and see if it makes a difference
[22:32:55] Its_A_Random just that next batch will be different for other reasons
[22:40:05] Its_A_Random that time I got the same seed as my original batch so I'll "remember that now"
[22:40:17] Its_A_Random now we will try moving a bit
[22:43:23] DHR Will be interesting to know what you find
[22:46:48] Its_A_Random ran around for 10 secs before rejecting the egg
[22:46:57] Its_A_Random same seed as the original
[22:47:14] Its_A_Random same set iv's etc
[22:47:28] Its_A_Random running around did not change a thing
[22:48:12] LegoFigure11 try saving again before you pick up the first egg
[22:48:25] Its_A_Random I did that it changes the seed
[22:48:40] Its_A_Random [22:29:15] Its_A_Random though next lot will be different because I did pelago > plaza before rejecting and saving
[22:48:59] LegoFigure11 oh
[22:49:01] LegoFigure11 weird
[22:49:16] LegoFigure11 saving only used to advance the frame :(
[22:50:13] Its_A_Random conclusions: soft resetting for breeding: don't?
[22:52:23] Its_A_Random I guess I'll post this in ingame discoveries
[22:52:33] Its_A_Random or something
[22:53:08] Its_A_Random if you really really want to soft reset you are better off rejecting then saving and even then it seems to... yeah
[22:53:38] Its_A_Random first breed was the same as my recent, then the next three were on its own seed, then fifth and sixth were the same as the first

Basic thing is: Soft Resetting without saving at least for breeding will only get you the same batch of Pokémon datawise as before. If you plan to soft reset, reject then save and even then for whatever reason, doing that gave me the same batch as an earlier batch. I don't remember if it was also like this in XY and ORAS (I think it wasn't but it's been a year since I breeded something in ORAS hahaha).

[22:28:06] DHR like, are you walking around breifly after rejecting first egg etc
[22:29:15] Its_A_Random though next lot will be different because I did pelago > plaza before rejecting and saving
[22:32:30] Its_A_Random I'll try moving around soonish and see if it makes a difference
[22:32:55] Its_A_Random just that next batch will be different for other reasons
[22:40:05] Its_A_Random that time I got the same seed as my original batch so I'll "remember that now"
[22:48:40] Its_A_Random [22:29:15] Its_A_Random though next lot will be different because I did pelago > plaza before rejecting and saving
[22:53:08] Its_A_Random if you really really want to soft reset you are better off rejecting then saving and even then it seems to... yeah
[22:53:38] Its_A_Random first breed was the same as my recent, then the next three were on its own seed, then fifth and sixth were the same as the first

Basic thing is: Soft Resetting without saving at least for breeding will only get you the same batch of Pokémon datawise as before. If you plan to soft reset, reject then save and even then for whatever reason, doing that gave me the same batch as an earlier batch. I don't remember if it was also like this in XY and ORAS (I think it wasn't but it's been a year since I breeded something in ORAS hahaha).
in XY (and probably ORAS), some people figured out that the baby's inherited IVs are determined before the parents are even deposited in the box. Therefore, people could find out which IVs would be inherited, reset then match the right parents based on that knowledge. they also figured out that the non-inherited 6th stat is also fixed, as is gender and ability.
http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/428-pseudo-rng-abuse-for-eggs-in-pokémon-x-y/

i presume the mechanics havent changed

I think the same happens with berries and crabrawler, exact same battle yields same berries

So I could have misread/not been paying attention but it seems like twice now my Tapu Koko has not flinched after being hit by Fake Out in the battle tree. Can anyone test out if electric terrain guards against flinching?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)