Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I'm doubtful of Snake's return...I think Sonic is a more likely candidate for obvious reasons, and they probably don't want to have too many third-party characters, 3-4 at most. If Snake does return it probably won't be in his Brawl condition, i.e. Solid Snake. Maybe we'll get Old Snake to reflect canon or Big Boss to promote the new MGS game.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I predict either Bowser Jr. or Waluigi will be playable in this installment, the former being more likely, and neither of which being very desireable :/

breh

強いだね
I predict either Bowser Jr. or Waluigi will be playable in this installment, the former being more likely, and neither of which being very desireable :/
I could see something going for Bowser Jr. He does have a giant paintbrush to work with; you could do something there. He does giant jumps in nsmb, so that could be his recovery move. Have him breathe fire and you can also make him spawn koopa shells to throw (this happens in nsmb). If you want, you can also incorporate some stuff from yoshi's island (although I realize this is a different bowser jr. altogether) and use that as his final smash.

He's mooooostly sports games, but to say that that's his only thing is, thankfully, untrue.

I don't want to see Waluigi either, though.

Characters I considered my mains last time I played:

64: Fox and Pikachu
Melee: Jigglypuff, Peach, Fox
Brawl: Olimar, Diddy, Wario, Ice Climbers

And to be clear: I mained Fox in Melee before he got #1 spot. Same with 3/4 Brawl mains being #2-4 now...

edit: Oh god this is perfect. This is one of those articles you'd actually think were real because they seriously act like this.
Apparently it did fool a lot of irrational counter-haters. Counter-hating is still hating and it can get just as irrational.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Thought that was pretty obvious but nobody's mentioned it in 18 pages... Hoping Snake and Sonic are still in.
Agreed.

I remember reading Sakurai and Kojima were friends so I don't see any difficulty in Snake's return, should this be true. With Sonic's recent WiiU exclusivity I feel thats a pretty easy return.

I'm doubtful of Snake's return...I think Sonic is a more likely candidate for obvious reasons, and they probably don't want to have too many third-party characters, 3-4 at most. If Snake does return it probably won't be in his Brawl condition, i.e. Solid Snake. Maybe we'll get Old Snake to reflect canon or Big Boss to promote the new MGS game.
Old Snake wasn't on a Nintendo format, at least Big Boss made an appearance on 3DS. Big Boss and Snake are similar to the point where it doesn't make a difference competitively, Shadow Moses and the Codec conversations are the only way you could really tell it was Solid Snake from the game itself. I'd prefer Solid Snake because I feel his codec conversations have more potential to be humorous, Otacon or Campbell will be much more entertaining than Major Zero or Paramedic.

I thought Lucario was a better fit for Smash than Mewtwo but with the new form I can definitely imagine a swap.

I'm really exited to see what they do with veteran move sets more than anything, I think. We've already seen some nifty stuff in Bowser and Pit, and that just makes me even more excited on potential changes. One change I really hope sees light is removing F.L.U.D.D from Mario's Down Special spot Nd re-replacing it with Red Tornado from Melee. I know it's his DAir, but I would prefer it as a Down Special again as tbh I've never really felt the need to use F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I like the Dair being the spin, it makes it more natural for me to jump and then use it rather than using a special. I've only found fludd useful a grand total of once in brawl, but the one kill I got by pushing somebody off the stage was probably one of the most satisfying things I've done. It has its uses, however small they may be.

The FLUDD was an interesting utility in Brawl but... really that was it. A utility that took up a move slot that looked like it was headed for an amazing buff in brawl judging by the Luigi Cyclone. If the FLUDD were to come back (which, unless they have plans to change that soon, it is given the Sakurai vs translator battle), I'd like to it carry some extra usefulness given the situation Mario's in. For example, maybe if you use it while in the air, you gain the hover nozzle, or when you use it while running, you switch to the turbo nozzle.

Who knows, maybe the FLUDD was all a remnant from Brawl they plan on editing out later similar to Kirby's old midair Side B in Melee. Personally, I'd love to see his Down B become the spin attack from Super Mario Galaxy or the spin jump from Super Mario World.

Mario really is in for a buff regardless. Though the dojo proclaimed he was an all around balanced character, he was really a floaty character with an above average air game, short range, and bad recovery. I'd love to see him buffed since I loved the Mario Bros' air shenanigans in Brawl.

I agree that Mario really needs a buff. Some nice range would be really helpful for his ground game, for sure. One thing I really wanna see is his hammer getting some use in his move set. Really, it's the first power up Mario had ever used in a video game (at least I think so. Idk if there were power ups in the original Mario Bros. or if Donkey Kong even came before Mario Bros.). He still uses is pretty often in the RPG games as well. It could be a workable DSmash, or FSmash even, but I wouldn't want his FSmash to go as it's a pretty damn good move.

FLUDD was mostly a dumb novelty, though. If you play Mario or Doc in Melee, you appreciate using the Down+B Mario/Doc Tornado to help aid your vertical recovery, following up with an Up+B. Mario already had mediocre recovery methods, it's not like he needed to have one less option.

Mario's best trait is his gimping, and FLUDD is the best thing for gimping. Just aim it down and fire and anyone with a linear recovery is dead. If you really want to buff his recovery, just make his jumps bigger.

From the footage I've watched so far, at least Mario's Fireball has been buffed. It looks like it moves faster and has a longer range. Hopefully this is just one of many buffs to him.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
If it moves faster that's generally a bad thing.

If it's not moving as fast as a laser, you generally want projectiles to be moving slower.

This is part of why Doc's pills are such good projectiles in Melee.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here are my own guesses to the Megaman palette swap

Should be relatively simple, standard blue for blue team, the green white is used for both Bombman and Woodman, probably some others too so it's good. Protoman colours to represent the older brother, Bass as well no doubt, and X armour or some Zero styled one, and of course the MM1 box art colour to round it all off.

I came across a pretty interesting article lurking on smashboards (you have to shovel through a lot, but there's some cool stuff in there). To summarize it, Sakuri states:
  • He takes including characters very seriously and always has fan disappointment on his mind.
  • For this reason, he takes outright roster cuts VERY seriously.
  • Mega Man was apparently very easy to have implemented into smash in terms of negociating the process with Capcom.
  • We can expect less verbal updates about SSBU/3DS from Sakurai this time around.
What do you folks think of all this?

I came across a pretty interesting article lurking on smashboards (you have to shovel through a lot, but there's some cool stuff in there). To summarize it, Sakuri states:
  • He takes including characters very seriously and always has fan disappointment on his mind.
  • For this reason, he takes outright roster cuts VERY seriously.
  • Mega Man was apparently very easy to have implemented into smash in terms of negociating the process with Capcom.
  • We can expect less verbal updates about SSBU/3DS from Sakurai this time around.
What do you folks think of all this?
"Brink of death"? Jeez, that's a bit dramatic. Although I guess you would have a big workload if you start such a huge project from scratch every time (explains why the games take so long to come out).

The one thing that stuck out at me in the article was how seamless and easy it was to acquire Mega Man, and how Capcom cooperated almost right away. It's like they've been waiting for the chance to make someone else responsible for putting him in a game, and jumped at the offer ASAP.

he said "verbal" updates, guys. the article says he'll still post a lot of images, he's just not saying anything/as much about them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)