Pokémon Talonflame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice how most of your arguments rely on 'Bulk Ups beforehand'?

Sableye is far from helpless...

0- Atk Sableye Foul Play vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 151-178 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As for Clefable

0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 96-114 (24.3 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're running out of PP or health before Clefable goes down even if you resist all its attacking moves (I won't even mention thunderbolt/seismic toss), also remember you have to Taunt every three turns to prevent it from just healing off the damage, and roosting to stop yourself dying so it becomes more like an 8HKO, not to mention extra recovery from Protect stalling if it has Wish/Protect rather than Softboiled.

I just don't buy it, it reminds me of Calm Mind Sableye which IMO is an unviable set.

0- Atk Sableye Foul Play vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 151-178 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

As for Clefable

0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 96-114 (24.3 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

You're running out of PP or health before Clefable goes down even if you resist all its attacking moves (I won't even mention thunderbolt/seismic toss), also remember you have to Taunt every three turns to prevent it from just healing off the damage, and roosting to stop yourself dying so it becomes more like an 8HKO, not to mention extra recovery from Protect stalling if it has Wish/Protect rather than Softboiled.

I just don't buy it, it reminds me of Calm Mind Sableye which IMO is an unviable set.
Who the heck runs a 0 Atk Talonflame?

As for Clefable

I can post calcs too!

+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 246-289 (90.4 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO, guaranteed with SR
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 219-258 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 219-258 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 205-243 (67.4 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just get one Bulk Up on a forced switch, and most of your "sure stops" end up dying. With Clefable, if you are sure of Unaware, Taunt and get out.

I can post calcs too!

+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 246-289 (90.4 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO, guaranteed with SR
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 219-258 (65.5 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 219-258 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 205-243 (67.4 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just get one Bulk Up on a forced switch, and most of your "sure stops" end up dying. With Clefable, if you are sure of Unaware, Taunt and get out.
I never said Espeon and Xatu were 'sure stops' lol, they were basically an afterthought when I tried to think of some of the most passive pokemon on a stall team I could; yet I noted they still do hefty damage/check Talonflame. Standard Espeon runs 252 HP and Reflect, while the next set listed is fully physically defensive so that calc is a bit biased I think. I could argue that standard Jellicent is physically defensive as well and that some Sableye users go physically defensive. You can cherry pick the sets you can beat to use in the calcs but I do acknowledge that we don't know standard sets yet though. Still, seems a gamble to go with a set designed to beat these pokemon and then get killed because they invest EVs slightly differently to what you expected.

I'm just refuting your claim that this set 'destroys stall' or whatever, these are the pokemon you claim you want to be setting up on in the first place.

You're forgetting that Xatu, Jellicent and Sableye have 50% recovery moves so you must waste a turn using Taunt or you'll kill yourself with recoil which gives them enough time to kill you. If you need two free turns to get past the pokemon you're apparently supposed to beat it's not a good set IMO.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I never said Espeon and Xatu were 'sure stops' lol, they were basically an afterthought when I tried to think of some of the most passive pokemon on a stall team I could; yet I noted they still do hefty damage/check Talonflame. Standard Espeon runs 252 HP and Reflect, while the next set listed is fully physically defensive so that calc is a bit biased I think. I could argue that standard Jellicent is physically defensive as well and that some Sableye users go physically defensive. You can cherry pick the sets you can beat to use in the calcs but I do acknowledge that we don't know standard sets yet though. Still, seems a gamble to go with a set designed to beat these pokemon and then get killed because they invest EVs slightly differently to what you expected.

I'm just refuting your claim that this set 'destroys stall' or whatever, these are the pokemon you claim you want to be setting up on in the first place.

You're forgetting that Xatu, Jellicent and Sableye have 50% recovery moves so you must waste a turn using Taunt or you'll kill yourself with recoil which gives them enough time to kill you. If you need two free turns to get past the pokemon you're apparently supposed to beat it's not a good set IMO.
Alright, apparently you do need convincing. Let me name some of the Pokemon Talonflame can set up on (provided they don't have any Rock moves):

Sylveon, Florges, Ferrothorn, SubToxic Gliscor, Hippowdon, Scizor, Bisharp, Mamoswine, paraflinch Togekiss, Mega-Mawile, Chansey, Blissey, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Mandibuzz, Volcarona, Donphan, Heatran, Swords Dance Aegislash, and Dusclops (less relevant :P). And then there are instances where you can just grab a Bulk Up on an opponent who can't hit you hard enough, like the aforementioned Gengar in the replay or physical Mega-Lucario.

Your opponent should have at least one of these on their team, giving you the opportunity to set up. If the opponent does not have the appropriate response, Bulk Up Talonflame can put in some work. And when I mean response, that means you have to be able to beat it, meaning for example: any Tyranitar cocky enough to go without a Rock move (thinking they can manhandle all Talonflames) can actually lose to Bulk Up Talonflame.

Last edited:
Another variant of BU Talonflame is the one that runs Sub instead Taunt. Any user of SubRoost knows how much you can fck the opponent up for making mispredictions while you have all the initiative in that mindgame. Every standard check to standard Talonflame lacking roar are royally fucked when they find themself against a Talonflame behind a Sub who doesn't give a damn about any status, while being easily able to PP stall every single 8 PP move with impunity since a +2 BU Roosting Talonflame can even tank Tyranitar Stone Edge and fishing for misses. The best thing about BU Talonflame is its sheer unpredictability, because it has a million and one way to royally fuck over every wrong switch in, and you wouldn't know if it is carrying Taunt or Sub until it actually uses the move, which easily gets it a free +2 or more.

Alright, apparently you do need convincing.
Seconding this. After reading the this argument I decided to try BU Talonflame, and if you get a set up opportunity, it absolutely destroys things. Here's a couple of battles that I only won due to BU Flame.

In the first I was up against a Rain team with a Hydration/Rest Vaporeon that I couldn't kill. Once I got rid of Azumaril, Talonflame went to work.

Theo Cosby, ya see? sent out Talonflame!

Start of turn 41
Talonflame used Taunt!
The foe's Vaporeon fell for the taunt!

The foe's Vaporeon can't use Rain Dance after the taunt!

Talonflame restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 42
Talonflame used Bulk Up!
Talonflame's Attack rose!
Talonflame's Defense rose!

The foe's Vaporeon used Ice Beam!
Talonflame lost 75 HP! (21% of its health)

Start of turn 43
Talonflame used Bulk Up!

The foe's Vaporeon's taunt ended!

Start of turn 44
Talonflame used Taunt!

The foe's Vaporeon can't use Toxic after the taunt!

Start of turn 45
Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Talonflame lost 76 HP! (21% of its health)

Start of turn 46
Talonflame used Roost!
Talonflame landed on the ground!
Talonflame regained health!

It's not very effective...
Talonflame lost 33 HP! (9% of its health)

Start of turn 47
Talonflame used Taunt!

The foe's Vaporeon can't use Toxic after the taunt!

Start of turn 48
Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Talonflame lost 70 HP! (20% of its health)

Start of turn 49
Talonflame used Bulk Up!

A critical hit!
Talonflame lost 115 HP! (32% of its health)

Start of turn 50
Talonflame used Taunt!

Talonflame lost 74 HP! (21% of its health)

Start of turn 51
Talonflame used Roost!

Talonflame lost 36 HP! (10% of its health)

Start of turn 52
Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Talonflame lost 70 HP! (20% of its health)

Start of turn 53
Talonflame used Taunt!

Talonflame lost 77 HP! (22% of its health)

Start of turn 54
Talonflame used Roost!

A critical hit!
Talonflame lost 51 HP! (14% of its health)

Start of turn 55
Talonflame used Brave Bird!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!
Talonflame is damaged by recoil!

Bustillo sent out Politoed!

the foe's Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!

Start of turn 56
The foe's Politoed lost 10% of its health!
The foe's Politoed fainted!

Theo Cosby, ya see? won the battle!
Bustillo: I let u Free win
Theo Cosby, ya see?: gg

Theo Cosby, ya see? sent out Talonflame!

Start of turn 20

"miniboss" called Salamence back!
"miniboss" sent out Gliscor!

Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Start of turn 21

Talonflame used Taunt!
The foe's Gliscor fell for the taunt!

The foe's Gliscor can't use Toxic after the taunt!

Start of turn 22

"miniboss" called Gliscor back!

"miniboss" sent out Salamence!

Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Start of turn 23

The foe's Salamence used Draco Meteor!
Talonflame lost 234 HP! (67% of its health)

The foe's Salamence's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
The foe's Salamence is hurt by its Life Orb!

Talonflame used Bulk Up!

Start of turn 24

Talonflame used Roost!

The foe's Salamence used Draco Meteor!
Talonflame lost 129 HP! (36% of its health)

The foe's Salamence's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Start of turn 25

"miniboss" called Salamence back!

Talonflame used Roost!

Start of turn 26

Talonflame used Taunt!

Start of turn 27

"miniboss" sent out Rotom-W!

Talonflame used Bulk Up!

The foe's Rotom-W was hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 28

The foe's Rotom-W lost 41% of its health!

The foe's Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!

It's super effective!
Talonflame lost 246 HP! (70% of its health)

The foe's Rotom-W was hurt by its burn!

Start of turn 29

The foe's Rotom-W lost 20% of its health!

The foe's Rotom-W fainted!

Start of turn 30

"miniboss" sent out Salamence!

Talonflame used Taunt!
The foe's Salamence fell for the taunt!

Start of turn 31

Talonflame used Roost!

The foe's Salamence used Dragon Claw!

Start of turn 32

The foe's Salamence lost 32% of its health!
The foe's Salamence fainted!

Start of turn 33

The foe's Gliscor used Protect!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Talonflame used Taunt!
The foe's Gliscor protected itself!

Start of turn 34

Talonflame used Taunt!

After that turn, with one monster left, he quit.

Nothing great, but I thought it demonstrated it's set up capabilities.

EDIT: nvm, saved the wrong log (thought it was one that showed TF setting up on heatran)

Last edited:
Talonflame @ shellbell
Adamant 252 atk/ 252 spd
Swords Dance
Flare Blitz
Brave Bird
U Turn

This set works great to keep momentum on your side. I use it in a volt turn core with Rotom W and it is pretty nice. Shell bell heals the same as leftys as long as you are able to 2hko your opponent, and heals double lefties if you ohko them, which is not very hard with such a hard hitting poke. Two pokes that constantly crap on this guy are Rotom W and Ttar (pre pokebank), so you can SD on the obvious switch and then hit those two for some pretty solid damage. The extra investment in speed allows Talonflame to outspeed +spd 110 which is really nice, and also allows you to outspeed other Talonflames that invest more so in HP.

Just a simple comment, but i personally think one of the best counters to talonflame is any fighting type with a focus sash that can use stone edge. It works great with my mienshao.

I'm not quite sure if someone has posted this, but i haven't checked all of the pages, so my apologies if someone has posted this.

also, my opinion on it's moveset

Talonflame Focus Sash/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adamant 252 atk/252 spd/4 hp
Swords Dance
Flame Charge
Acrobatics
U-turn/Tailwind/Roost

While not the most offensive set, this set can be used to prevent many threats, like the one that i said beforehand with the focus sash. It can't pull off quite as much damage with the non-powered acrobatics, when the focus sash wears off, talonflame becomes a powerhouse using acrobatics, not even having to quite be as needy of the flying gem. Flame charge increases speed, and while speed is not as necessary with gale wings, taking out the occasional scizor is easy. Roosting off small damage can make the focus sash actually useful, the priority tailwind can help many slow pokemon set up faster (useful in doubles), and the u-turn works very well with one of the choice items.

Just a simple comment, but i personally think one of the best counters to talonflame is any fighting type with a focus sash that can use stone edge. It works great with my mienshao.

I'm not quite sure if someone has posted this, but i haven't checked all of the pages, so my apologies if someone has posted this.

also, my opinion on it's moveset

Talonflame Focus Sash/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adamant 252 atk/252 spd/4 hp
Swords Dance
Flame Charge
Acrobatics
U-turn/Tailwind/Roost

While not the most offensive set, this set can be used to prevent many threats, like the one that i said beforehand with the focus sash. It can't pull off quite as much damage with the non-powered acrobatics, when the focus sash wears off, talonflame becomes a powerhouse using acrobatics, not even having to quite be as needy of the flying gem. Flame charge increases speed, and while speed is not as necessary with gale wings, taking out the occasional scizor is easy. Roosting off small damage can make the focus sash actually useful, the priority tailwind can help many slow pokemon set up faster (useful in doubles), and the u-turn works very well with one of the choice items.
Hazards. Keeping them off the field is too much work simply for a focus sash user with hardly any use other than cheesing something at a point in the match where it won't even matter

Sash fighting types can't switch into Talonflame, and Talonflame can U-Turn out to break the sash in a 1 on 1. The Talonflame user won't always know that you're sashed, but there are instances where I can strongly suspect it and U-Turn out

Using Flame Charge to keep Sash intact seems like a waste. You're sacrificing the 120BP move in order to have a chance to use the 50BP move twice. The Sash fighting that you mention seems like a super situational use, and I'd much rather U-Turn out in those situations. In every other situation, you're using a weaker move. The sash may give you two hits when otherwise you'd only have one hit, but I don't find that extra hit useful at all

Using Sash/Acro, you're RELYING on getting your sash broken. You lose the ability to switch into a resisted (say) grass attack and fire off powerful flying attacks.

I'd rather just go itemless and be able to fire off powerful attacks all the time than using a situational item like Sash. I just don't see Sash being activated consistently, and even when it does, you're using weak moves just to get it to work. What are some other counters that Sash gets through that other variants don't? I'm just not feeling the Sash Fighting argument. U-Turning out while being able to carry strong moves seems like a better solution than to get sleeped by Breloom or something

First off, fighting types with Focus Sashes aren't counters. A counter would be something that can come in on any one of Talonflame's moves, take little to no damage at all, and immediately threaten it. What you are describing are checks and pretty bad checks at that since entry hazards, sandstorm, or any prior damage completely ruin that strategy. Second, wasting an entire pokemon to check Talonflame when pokemon like Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar exist is dumb, frankly.

As for the set:

-You just can't have Swords Dance with Roost and Tailwind slashed and have a Choice item dude.
-Talonflame is already fast and has Gale Wings, it doesn't need Flame Charge
-You can't use Acrobatics to its full power with any of the items you listed

Jesus, I didn't realize it at first but this is seriously one of the worst most backwards sets I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Feel free to disregard this completely.

Talonflame @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Natural Gift (turns into 100BP Fighting move)
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance

makes a fine late game sweeper.
The idea is to come in on something that forces the opposition to go into their designated Talon counter of choice (usually T-Tar or Heatran) whilst you get up an SD, hillariously kill them with off with the newly buffed up NG before benefiting from the loss of your item and cleaning up with Acrobatics.

I fully appreciate this is somewhat of a gimmick (especially as NG is a 1 time move) but it definitely abuses the niche to its full potential.

Some calcs (not factoring hazards because the calculator is acting up for me)
252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 324-384 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 644-760 (159.4 - 188.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Salac Berry Talonflame Natural Gift (100 BP Fighting) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 332-392 (86 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

By all means scrutinise me, I feel silly even posting this but it's at least something until we get Flying Gem

I think Salac certainly has merit on the SD set. It's obviously situational (you've only one chance to make the most of it), but both Ttar and Heatran are common switch-ins so it's nice to have something to beat them.

With that said, if I was to use Natural Gift then I would probably opt for Liechi instead (100BP Grass-type). You essentially give up Heatran coverage for the ability to take on Rotom-W while also netting an attack boost. The extra speed from Salac is generally nice on other Pokemon, it's a bit overkill on Talonflame.

Last edited:
Not trying to beat any Mandibuzz drum but it is a good hard counter to Talonflame with same typing on its STAB. While recoil is happening for TF the roosting just totally stalls it in its tracks... I imagine any physically bulky 'mon that has access to reliable healing can tank it?

Not trying to beat any Mandibuzz drum but it is a good hard counter to Talonflame with same typing on its STAB. While recoil is happening for TF the roosting just totally stalls it in its tracks... I imagine any physically bulky 'mon that has access to reliable healing can tank it?
Talonflame can also Taunt Mandibuzz and set up 6 Bulk Ups in its face while it is powerless to do anything.

Also:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- 93.75% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not a safe counter.

Talonflame can also Taunt Mandibuzz and set up 6 Bulk Ups in its face while it is powerless to do anything.

Also:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 163-193 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- 93.75% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not a safe counter.
Might be showing my newness to X/Y here but wouldn't foul play be usable on taunt to use its physical power against it?

Might be showing my newness to X/Y here but wouldn't foul play be usable on taunt to use its physical power against it?
0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 114-135 (31.7 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Have fun with that kind of damage. It only hurts a bit more than Chansey.

This thing is completely broken and needs to be banned. How are people in here seemingly ignoring the fact that it can OHKO half the OU metagame without any set up. And if you switch in a counter (other then Rotom-W) good luck with that as it is going to just KO it next turn with its ridiculous 120BP priority. Unless you run a dedicated counter there is no way to stop it. With most other sweepers there is a trade off but this guy can jsut do whatever the fuck he wants. You can't counter it with Stealth rock because Defog can't be blocked which is what most of these Talonflame teams run. I just really hate the effect it is having on games and it is easily the main contributing factors to Rotom-W being on basically every team.

Rant over.

"Unless you run a dedicated counter"

Oh hey look. Its Rotom-W/Tyranitar/Heatran. Some of the most commonly used OU Pokemon.

Which aren't even dedicated counters for stopping Talonflame solely and 2 of them can set SR.

Rotom-W would not be as popular if it wasn't for Talonflame. It is a great Pokemon but it would be much less useful if it wasn't for the popularity of Talonflame, who can 2HKO it at +1. Heatran, Yeah he is a counter, fair enough. Tyranitar, again a check, Talonflame can U-Turn and take half its HP. Anyway so what if there are 3 Pokemon that that can check/counter it? Are you telling me I have to run one of those 3 if I want a successful OU team? I'm sorry but I don't think it should be the case that teambuilding is so narrowly constricted because of the presence of one Pokemon.

EDIT: With regards to Stealth Rock. As I already said it is not even an issue any more because of defog.

Rotom-W is one of the best mons in the metagame. It is a very good scout, pivot, tank, and general support mon with stuff like WoW, Pain Split, and Trick. It just happens to be able to beat Talonflame. Heatran is amazing in OU, though not as good as he as in Gen 4. Tyranitar is 3HKOed by Choice Band Talonflame's U-Turn, and that's only if Talonflame sees the switch coming, in which case it can get outpredicted. Tyranitar can also set up SR or Pursuit Talonflame as it flees.

TL;DR: Golurk moar.

"Unless you run a dedicated counter"

Oh hey look. Its Rotom-W/Tyranitar/Heatran. Some of the most commonly used OU Pokemon.

Which aren't even dedicated counters for stopping Talonflame solely and 2 of them can set SR.
I agree. For everyone who doesn't want to run these and struggles dealing with Talonflame, I advice trying rain. With Manaphy and Swift Swim legal, it's already quite intimidating, and it turns nearly everything resisting flying into a decent talonflame-counter.
Rotom-W would not be as popular if it wasn't for Talonflame. It is a great Pokemon but it would be much less useful if it wasn't for the popularity of Talonflame, who can 2HKO it at +1. Heatran, Yeah he is a counter, fair enough. Tyranitar, again a check, Talonflame can U-Turn and take half its HP. Anyway so what if there are 3 Pokemon that that can check/counter it? Are you telling me I have to run one of those 3 if I want a successful OU team? I'm sorry but I don't think it should be the case that teambuilding is so narrowly constricted because of the presence of one Pokemon.
Lol. You DO know that Rotom-W already had a really high usage in the gen before aka the-gen-without-talonflame? Acting like it's only or just mainly used because of talonflame is complete nonsense. Also, basically every rock-type walls it while threatening to OHKO, even after a bulk up, unless you run the gimmicky steel wing. He just mentioned the most common talonflame-counters, but by far not the only ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)