Tangrowth (OU Tank Revamp) [GP 2/2]

I think that Leaf Storm should stay in the AC. Sure it is strong and Tangrowth switches out a lot, but with Leaf Storm, SubSD Terra in sand, can abuse the SpA drops, since at -2 LS does only 37% - 44,5% on Terra. Also SubDD Gyara could set-up on you, since at -2 LS doesn't guaranteed break Gyara's subs, while at -4, it always doesn't. Giga Drain always breaks SubDD Gyra's subs btw.
Wow I didn't realize it was so weak. I guess I'm just so used to it being so powerful on my Celebi (which has lower base SpA but obviously the Life Orb and SpA investment makes a big difference). Alright, AC it is then.

@Pocket: Starmie isn't a bad deal in other respects for Tangrowth. Takes Fire and Ice type attacks (to a point, it's hardly a wall obviously) and can beat dragons that haven't boosted their speed. Finally, for something that switches as often as tangrowth spin support is always appreciated. Still, I will add Haxorus in. Not sold on Scizor though, what with the shared Fire type weakness (course Mamo has that too but Ice Shard is better for dragons than BP, and if the Fire type is slow they get wasted by EQ). I'm a little tired right now though so maybe I'm not seeing all the benefits. Haxorus gets the nod though, shared Ice weakness is worth it. Not like you're banking on Haxorus taking hits anyway right?

EDIT: Oh, and Starmie isn't exclusively for Dnite either, it makes a good check for Gliscor and Landorus too, both of which cause trouble to Tangrowth without HP Ice. Of course it has trouble taking U-turn from Scarf Lando, but Scarf Lando doesn't really threaten Tangrowth anyway since it usually doesn't want to lock itself into HP Ice :P.

ahhh thank you Bloo, I was just about to start PMing people asking where the heck my 3rd QC approval was ; ). I'll get to writing it right away. Of course, I just noticed this now 3 days after you gave me it soooo that puts some of the blame on me XD. Hey, it had sat here without replies for two weeks, how was I to expect it'd suddenly get approved out of the blue (or BLOO HAHAHAHAHAHA oh god I'm going to hell for that gawd-awful joke).

Should have a first draft up in an hour or two, feel free to post any suggestions you have for things to include/omit in the meantime. There's too much stuff here for ALL of it to be included in the final product; some tidbits are going to need to be cut.

EDIT: Wrote up a first draft, let's get this puppy on the road again!

It is my personal conviction that Tangrowth is not as successful at breaking through VoltTurn chains as this analysis may suggest and thus it should be edited accordingly.

It is my personal conviction that Tangrowth is not as successful at breaking through VoltTurn chains as this analysis may suggest and thus it should be edited accordingly.
And it is my personal conviction having actually USED Tangrowth to break through Volt-Turn chains that it can. I've already been over this, and have others who've actually USED Tangrowth to back me up, such as Alexwolf and Iconic. It's not going to beat Volt-Turn all by itself, but it DOES cause them trouble unless they happen to have Celebi.

Any OTHER suggestions?

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This looks like it's ready for a GP sheck so...

Placeholder for amcheck

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive Tank
move 1: Power Whip / Giga Drain
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Leech Seed / Knock Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes all of Tangrowth’s greatest strengths and rolls them into one set ties them together. With maximum defensive investment, Tangrowth has physical bulk to rival old standbys like Skarmory and Hippowodon, while still maintaining the ability to hit back thanks to its naturally high offenses. Combined with Regenerator, this makes Tangrowth a tremendously effective defensive pivot in the current OU metagame, able to switch in and threaten top threats such as Haxorus, Dragonite, Scizor, Rotom-W, Terrakion, <add coma> and more, <remove comma> and ; <add semi-colon> it can then switch out afterwards none the worse for the wear. This set can also can potentially break Volt-turn chains, since Tangrowth’s massive physical bulk and resistance to Rotom-W’s STABs allows it to sponge U-turns and Volt-Switches before hitting the switch-in with Sleep Powder or a super-effective move. Regenerator also makes it very hard for Volt-Turn (or any team for that matter) to wear it down over time, meaning Tangrowth will frequently survive the entire match if played carefully</p>

<p>The choice between Power Whip and Giga Drain is somewhat of a tossup, as while Power Whip hits most targets harder, but Giga Drain recovers health and isn’t affected by Burn. Giga Drain also hits some specific targets harder than Power Whip, such as Slowbro. What Hidden Power Tangrowth uses determines what Tangrowth it can check and what it can’t, so it is vital to pick the appropriate one for your team. If dDragon-types and Gliscor are a bigger threat to the team, then Hidden Power Ice is generally the move of choice. If Scizor is a bigger concern, or the team can’t afford to be set up on by Ferrothorn or Forretress, then Hidden Power Fire is a solid option. Both can be used on frailer gGrass-types <add hyphen> that resist Tangrowth’s other attacks, though bulky ones such as Virizon and Celebi will probably shrug off the hit. Sleep Powder is a given on almost any set, as it allows you to instantly eliminate one of Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> counters. The choice of utility move in the last slot yet again depends on what the team needs most. While Leech Seed is very useful for discouraging opponents from setting up on Tangrowth and increasing Tangrowth’s longevity, Knock Off is an interesting option that can cripple almost any Pokemon permanently. Knock Off also reveals the opponent’s item, which can be crucial to know with some Pokemon such as Salamence and Haxorus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The above EVs and a Relaxed nature serve a simple purpose; <remove semi-colon> : <add colon> to maximize bulk without hampering Tangrowth’s ability to hit back. However, Tangrowth can also run a Bold or Impish nature along with Speed EVs to outrun and KO certain threats, at the expense of being able to reliably check things such as Terrakion when Tangrowth is not at full health. 28 Speed EVs let you outrun Tyranitar, 84 lets you outspeed most Jellicent, <add comma> and 136 EVs let you outspeed standard Scizor. All of these take heavy damage from at least one of Tangrowth’s moves, <add comma> but can severely damage Tangrowth if they go first, allowing Tangrowth to function as a lure of sorts for these Pokemon should you need it.</p>

<p>Asside from the listed moves, Tangrowth has several more support and coverage options that it can run should the team need them. Earthquake can be run over a support option to hit Heatran and Magnezone hard on the switch, but usually it’s usually a better idea to put them to sleep with Sleep Powder or just double-switch out. Stun Spore is an interesting option should Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> teammates like need paralysis support, but the accuracy is a letdown and usually other Pokemon are usually better suited to the task. Toxic can be run to give Tangrowth the edge on walls like Jellicent, Blissey, <add comma> and Chansey, but in the vast majority of cases Leech Seed is superior, especially since many targets Leech Seed doesn’t work on are immune or semi-immune to Toxic anyway. Finally, Leaf Storm is another option for a more powerful STAB that takes advantage of the hit and run nature of this set. Unfortunately, <add comma> though, the Special Attack drops will make you set-up fodder for many powerful Pokemon such as Gyarados, and it doesn’t hit much harder than Power Whip anyway.</p>

<p>This set is fairly dangerous on its own, but it needs team support to function to its fullest. Hazards in general are extremely useful, as they not only allow Tangrowth to score many crucial KOs, but also take advantage of the vast number of switches Tangrowth causes. On the flip side, Tangrowth also appreciates Rapid Spin support so it can best take advantage of Regenerator. Just be careful not to compound Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> Fire-type weakness when picking a hazard layer or spinner. Tangrowth is very vulnerable to special attacks, particularly Ice- <add hyphen> and Fire-type ones. As such, Tangrowth appreciates special walls that can easily switch into the Pokemon that like to switch into Tangrowth. Heatran and Tentacruel are especially good partners, having great offensive and defensive synergy with Tangrowth while also either providing hazards or removing them. Finally, Tangrowth also likes having a secondary physically defensive Pokemon it can switch places with in order to abuse Regenerator. Rest-Talk Gyarados and Vaporeon are good examples of Pokemon that can do this for Tangrowth, while also being able to support in other ways as well. Finally, Tangrowth greatly dislikes status, especially if it’s using Power Whip, so a cleric can be of help. The pink blobs, Blissey and Chansey, can take special hits for Tangrowth and cure its status problems, and can even as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock should you need it.</p>

<p>The specific counters and checks for this set vary greatly depending on what Hidden Power Tangrowth is using. If it is using Hidden Power Ice, it’ll have a lot of trouble with Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, <add comma> and other Steel-types using it as set-up fodder. In this case, a Fire-type Pokemon like Heatran is a must to keep from having hazards littered all over your side of the field. If Tangrowth is running Hidden Power Fire instead, then it has trouble dealing with Dragon-types and Gliscor, who will set up all over it and threaten to sweep, especially if Tangrowth also passed up Leech Seed. In this instance a sturdy phazer is appreciated, with Vaporeon getting a special mention for defensive synergy and Heal Bell support. If all else fails, a revenge killer such as Scarf Haxorus, Mamoswine, <add comma> or Starmie can be a good investment to prevent these Pokemon from getting a clean sweep.</p>

Just a few things:

"Smogon uses the serial comma (the comma before "and" in a list)." This is why

It should always be [type]-type. IE Grass-type. You only had a mistake or two there. Also, even use it if it is referring to more than one type: Grass-, Water-, and Ground-types.

Don't forget to put in those apostrophes! Even if It's am mistake double check it! :)

A few changes on top of Redew's
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes all of Tangrowth’s greatest strengths and rolls them into one set. (this is fine) With maximum defensive investment, Tangrowth has enough physical bulk to rival old standbys like such as Skarmory and Hippowodon, while still maintaining the ability to hit back thanks to its naturally high offenses. Combined with Regenerator, this makes Tangrowth a tremendously effective defensive pivot in the current OU metagame, able to switch in and threaten top threats such as Haxorus, Dragonite, Scizor, Rotom-W, Terrakion, <add coma> and more, <remove comma> and ; <add semi-colon> it can then switch out afterwards none the worse for the wear. This set can also can potentially break Volt-turn chains, since as Tangrowth’s massive physical bulk and resistance to Rotom-W’s STABs allows it to sponge U-turns and Volt-Switches before hitting the switch-in with Sleep Powder or a super-effective move. Regenerator also makes it very hard for Volt-Turn (or any team for that matter) to wear it down over time, meaning Tangrowth will frequently survive the entire match if played carefully</p>

<p>The choice between Power Whip and Giga Drain is somewhat of a tossup, as while Power Whip hits most targets harder, but Giga Drain recovers health and isn’t affected by Burn. Giga Drain also hits some specific targets harder than Power Whip, such as Slowbro. What Hidden Power Tangrowth uses determines what Tangrowth it can check and what it can’t, so it is vital to pick the appropriate one for your team. If dDragon-types and Gliscor are a bigger threat to the team, then Hidden Power Ice is generally the move of choice. If Scizor is a bigger concern, or the team can’t afford to be set up on by Ferrothorn or Forretress, then Hidden Power Fire is a solid option. Both can be used on frailer gGrass-types <add hyphen> that resist Tangrowth’s other attacks, though bulky ones such as Virizon and Celebi will probably shrug off the hit. Sleep Powder is a given on almost any set, as it allows you to instantly eliminate one of Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> counters. The choice of utility move in the last slot yet again depends on what the team needs most. While Leech Seed is very useful for discouraging opponents from setting up on Tangrowth and increasing Tangrowth’s longevity, Knock Off is an interesting option that can cripple almost any Pokemon permanently. Knock Off also reveals the opponent’s item, which can be crucial to know with some Pokemon such as Salamence and Haxorus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The above EVs and a Relaxed nature serve a simple purpose; <remove semi-colon> : <add colon> to maximize bulk without hampering Tangrowth’s ability to hit back. However, Tangrowth can also run a Bold or Impish nature along with Speed EVs to outrun and KO certain threats, at the expense of being able to reliably check things such as Terrakion when Tangrowth is not at full health. 28 Speed EVs let you it outrun Tyranitar, 84 lets you it outspeed most Jellicent, <add comma> and 136 EVs let you it outspeed standard Scizor. (This is a tad repetitive; maybe mix it up a bit?) All of these take heavy damage from at least one of Tangrowth’s moves, <add comma> but can severely damage Tangrowth if they go first, allowing Tangrowth to function as a lure of sorts for these Pokemon should you need it.</p>

<p>Asside from the listed moves, Tangrowth has several more support and coverage options that it can run should the team need them. Earthquake can be run over a support option to hit Heatran and Magnezone hard on the switch, but usually it’s usually a better idea to put them to sleep with Sleep Powder or just double-switch out. Stun Spore is an interesting option should Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> teammates like need paralysis support, but the accuracy is a letdown and usually other Pokemon are usually better suited to the task. Toxic can be run to give Tangrowth the edge on walls like Jellicent, Blissey, <add comma> and Chansey, but in the vast majority of cases Leech Seed is superior, especially since because many of the targets Leech Seed doesn’t work on are immune or semi-immune to Toxic anyway. Finally, Leaf Storm is another option for a more powerful STAB that takes advantage of the hit and run nature of this set. Unfortunately, <add comma> though, the Special Attack drops will make you it set-up fodder for many powerful Pokemon such as Gyarados, and it doesn’t hit much harder than Power Whip anyway.</p>

<p>This set is fairly dangerous on its own, but it needs team support to function to its fullest. Hazards in general are extremely useful, as they not only allow Tangrowth to score many crucial KOs, but also take advantage of the vast number of switches Tangrowth causes. On the flip side, Tangrowth also appreciates Rapid Spin support so it can best take advantage of Regenerator. Just be careful not to compound Tangrowth's <add apostrophe> Fire-type weakness when picking a hazard layer or spinner. Tangrowth is very vulnerable to special attacks, particularly Ice- <add hyphen> and Fire-type ones. As such, Tangrowth appreciates special walls that can easily switch into the Pokemon that like to switch into Tangrowth. Heatran and Tentacruel are especially good partners, having great offensive and defensive synergy with Tangrowth while also either providing hazards or removing them. Finally, Tangrowth also likes having a secondary physically defensive Pokemon it can switch places with in order to abuse Regenerator. Rest-Talk Gyarados and Vaporeon are good examples of Pokemon that can do this for Tangrowth, while also being able to support in other ways as well. Finally, Tangrowth greatly dislikes status, especially if it’s using Power Whip, so a cleric can be of help. The pink blobs, Blissey and Chansey, can take special hits for Tangrowth and cure its status problems, and can even as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock should you need it.</p>

<p>The specific counters and checks for this set vary greatly depending on what Hidden Power Tangrowth is using. If it is using Hidden Power Ice, it’ll have a lot of trouble with Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, <add comma> and other Steel-types using it as set-up fodder. In this case, a Fire-type Pokemon like Heatran is a must to keep from having hazards littered all over your side of the field. If Tangrowth is running Hidden Power Fire instead, then it has trouble dealing with Dragon-types and Gliscor, who which will set up all over it and threaten to sweep, especially if Tangrowth also passed up Leech Seed. In this instance,(comma) a sturdy phazer is appreciated, with Vaporeon getting a special mention for defensive synergy and Heal Bell support. If all else fails, a revenge killer such as Scarf Haxorus, Mamoswine, <add comma> or Starmie can be a good investment to prevent these Pokemon from getting a clean sweep.</p>

Good work, Redew. I only had to change a few little things ^.^

Trampstamp 1/2

Thanks for the GP check Jellicent, I made all the changes you recommended. This time I had no problem with any of them (I don't know if any of you remember my Vaporeon set, but there was a fairly heated debate over my use of "she" to describe it in that one XD. One I'm pretty sure I lost honestly lol.)

I have to say I'm rather embarassed at all the apostrophes and hyphens I missed. I DID proofread it, I assure you. I guess I was still tired from all the garden work my mom had me do earlier in the day or something. As for the serial comma, I simply completely forgot about Smogon's policy with regards to that. I'm pretty sure I actually went back and REMOVED all the serial commas in my original draft, following my old high school lessons XD.

I have word from another GP checker that was rather eager to get this going, so I expect the final one will be up soon. I'm not as worried about the length as I was before, as the vast majority of it is in the AC section anyway. I can't help that there's a lot of details to discuss with this set can I? :P

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes all of Tangrowth'(curly apostrophe)s greatest strengths and rolls them into one set. With maximum defensive investment, Tangrowth has enough physical bulk to rival old standbys such as Skarmory and Hippowodon, while still maintaining the ability to hit back thanks to its naturally high offenses. Combined with Regenerator, this makes Tangrowth a tremendously effective defensive pivot in the current OU metagame, able to switch in and threaten top threats such as Haxorus, Dragonite, Scizor, Rotom-W, Terrakion, and more; it can then switch out afterwards none the worse for the wear thanks to Regenerator. This set can also potentially break Volt-Turn chains, as Tangrowth's massive physical bulk and resistance to Rotom-W's STABs allows it to sponge U-turns and Volt-Switches before hitting the switch-in with Sleep Powder or a super-effective move. Regenerator also makes it very hard for Volt-Turn teams (or any team for that matter) to wear it down over time, meaning Tangrowth will frequently survive for the entire match if played carefully</p>

<p>The choice between Power Whip and Giga Drain is somewhat of a tossup, as, while Power Whip hits most targets harder, Giga Drain recovers health and isn't affected by Burn. Giga Drain also hits some specific targets harder than Power Whip, such as Slowbro. What Hidden Power Tangrowth uses determines what it can check and what it can't, so it is vital to pick the appropriate one for your team. If Dragon-types and Gliscor are a bigger threat to the team, then Hidden Power Ice is generally the move of choice. If Scizor is a bigger concern, or the team can't afford to be set up on by Ferrothorn or Forretress, then Hidden Power Fire is a solid option. Both can be used on frailer Grass-types that resist Tangrowth's other attacks, though bulky ones such as Virizon and Celebi will probably shrug off the hit. Sleep Powder is a given on almost any set, as it allows you to instantly eliminate one of Tangrowth's counters. The choice of utility move in the last slot depends on what the team needs most. While Leech Seed is very useful for discouraging opponents from setting up on Tangrowth and increasing Tangrowth's longevity, Knock Off is an interesting option that can cripple almost any Pokemon permanently. Knock Off also reveals the opponent's item, which can be crucial to know with some Pokemon such as Salamence and Haxorus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The above EVs and a Relaxed nature serve a simple purpose: to maximize bulk without hampering Tangrowth's ability to hit back. However, Tangrowth can also run a Bold or Impish nature along with Speed EVs to outrun and KO certain threats, at the expense of not being able to reliably check things such as Terrakion when Tangrowth is not at full health. 28 Speed EVs let it outrun Tyranitar, 84 lets it outspeed most Jellicent, and 136 EVs let it outspeed standard Scizor. All of these take heavy damage from at least one of Tangrowth's moves, but can severely damage Tangrowth if they go move first, allowing Tangrowth to function as a lure of sorts for these Pokemon should you need it.</p>

<p>Aside from the listed moves, Tangrowth has several more support and coverage options that it can run should the team need them. Earthquake can be run over a support option to hit Heatran and Magnezone hard on the switch, but it's usually a better idea to put them to sleep with Sleep Powder or just double-switch out. Stun Spore is an interesting option should Tangrowth's teammates need paralysis support, but the accuracy is a letdown and other Pokemon are usually better suited to the task. Toxic can be run to give Tangrowth the edge on walls like Jellicent, Blissey, and Chansey, but in the vast majority of cases Leech Seed is superior, especially because many of the targets Leech Seed doesn't work on are immune to or semi-immune to or don't mind Toxic anyway. Finally, Leaf Storm is another option for a more powerful STAB that takes advantage of the hit and run nature of this set. Unfortunately, though however, the Special Attack drop will make it set-up fodder for many powerful Pokemon, such as Gyarados, and it doesn’t hit much harder than Power Whip.</p>

<p>This set is fairly dangerous on its own, but it needs team support to function to its fullest. Entry Hazards in general are extremely useful, as they not only allow Tangrowth to score many crucial KOs, but also take advantage of the vast number of switches Tangrowth causes. On the flip side, Tangrowth also appreciates Rapid Spin support so it can best take advantage of Regenerator. Just be careful not to compound Tangrowth's Fire-type weakness when picking a hazard layer or spinner. Tangrowth is very vulnerable to special attacks, particularly Ice- and Fire-type ones. As such, Tangrowth appreciates special walls that can easily switch into the Pokemon that like to switch into Tangrowth. Heatran and Tentacruel are especially good partners, having great offensive and defensive synergy with Tangrowth while also either providing hazards or removing them. Finally, Tangrowth also likes having a secondary physically defensive Pokemon it can switch places with in order to abuse Regenerator. Rest-Talk Gyarados and Vaporeon are good examples of Pokemon that can do this for Tangrowth, while also being able to support it in other ways as well. Finally, Tangrowth greatly dislikes status, especially if it's using Power Whip, so a cleric can be of help. The pink blobs, Blissey and Chansey, can take special hits for Tangrowth and cure its status problems, as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock should you need it.</p>

<p>The specific counters and checks for this set vary greatly depending on what Hidden Power Tangrowth is using. If it is using Hidden Power Ice, it'll have a lot of trouble with Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, and other Steel-types, who can all usinge it as set-up fodder. In this case, a Fire-type Pokemon like Heatran is a must to keep from having hazards littered all over your side of the field. If Tangrowth is running Hidden Power Fire instead, then it has trouble dealing with Dragon-types and Gliscor, which will set up all over it and threaten to sweep, especially if Tangrowth also passed up on Leech Seed. In this instance, a sturdy phazer is appreciated, with Vaporeon getting a special mention for defensive synergy and Heal Bell support. If all else fails, a revenge killer such as Scarf Haxorus, Mamoswine, or Starmie can be a good investment to prevent these Pokemon from getting a clean sweep.</p>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes all of Tangrowth's greatest strengths and rolls them into one set. With maximum defensive investment, Tangrowth has enough physical bulk to rival old standbys such as Skarmory and Hippowdon, while still maintaining the ability to hit back thanks to its naturally high offenses. Combined with Regenerator, this makes Tangrowth a tremendously effective defensive pivot in the current OU metagame, able to switch in and threaten top threats such as Haxorus, Dragonite, Scizor, Rotom-W, Terrakion, and more; it can then switch out afterwards none the worse for wear thanks to Regenerator. This set can also potentially break VoltTurn chains, as Tangrowth's massive physical bulk and resistance to Rotom-W's STABs allow it to sponge U-turns and Volt-Switches before hitting the switch-in with Sleep Powder or a super effective move. Regenerator also makes it very hard for VoltTurn teams (or any team for that matter) to wear it down over time, meaning Tangrowth will frequently survive for the entire match if played carefully</p>

<p>The choice between Power Whip and Giga Drain is somewhat of a tossup, as, while Power Whip hits most targets harder, Giga Drain recovers health and isn't affected by Burn. Giga Drain also hits some specific targets harder than Power Whip, such as Slowbro. What Hidden Power Tangrowth uses determines what it can check and what it can't, so it is vital to pick the appropriate one for your team. If Dragon-types and Gliscor are a bigger threat to the team, then Hidden Power Ice is generally the move of choice. If Scizor is a bigger concern, or the team can't afford to be set up on by Ferrothorn or Forretress, then Hidden Power Fire is a solid option. Both can be used on frailer Grass-types that resist Tangrowth's other attacks, though bulky ones such as Virizon and Celebi will probably shrug off the hit. Sleep Powder is a given on almost any set, as it allows you to instantly eliminate one of Tangrowth's counters. The choice of utility move in the last slot depends on what the team needs most. While Leech Seed is very useful for discouraging opponents from setting up on Tangrowth and increasing Tangrowth's longevity, Knock Off is an interesting option that can cripple almost any Pokemon permanently. Knock Off also reveals the opponent's item, which can be crucial to know with some Pokemon such as Salamence and Haxorus.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The above EVs and a Relaxed nature serve a simple purpose: to maximize bulk without hampering Tangrowth's ability to hit back. However, Tangrowth can also run a Bold or Impish nature along with Speed EVs to outrun and KO certain threats, at the expense of not being able to reliably check things such as Terrakion when Tangrowth is not at full health. 28 Speed EVs let it outrun Tyranitar, 84 let it outspeed most Jellicent, and 136 EVs let it outspeed standard Scizor. All of these take heavy damage from at least one of Tangrowth's moves, but can severely damage Tangrowth if they move first, allowing Tangrowth to function as a lure of sorts for these Pokemon should you need it.</p>

<p>Aside from the listed moves, Tangrowth has several more support and coverage options that it can run should the team need them. Earthquake can be run over a support option to hit Heatran and Magnezone hard on the switch, but it's usually a better idea to put them to sleep with Sleep Powder or just double-switch out. Stun Spore is an interesting option should Tangrowth's teammates need paralysis support, but the accuracy is a letdown and other Pokemon are usually better suited to the task. Toxic can be run to give Tangrowth the edge on walls like Jellicent, Blissey, and Chansey, but in the vast majority of cases Leech Seed is superior, especially because many of the targets Leech Seed doesn't work on are immune to or or don't mind Toxic anyway. Finally, Leaf Storm is another option for a more powerful STAB that takes advantage of the hit and run nature of this set. Unfortunately, however, the Special Attack drop will make it set-up fodder for many powerful Pokemon, such as Gyarados, and it doesn’t hit much harder than Power Whip.</p>

<p>This set is fairly dangerous on its own, but it needs team support to function to its fullest. Entry Hazards are extremely useful, as they not only allow Tangrowth to score many crucial KOs, but also take advantage of the vast number of switches Tangrowth causes. On the flip side, Tangrowth also appreciates Rapid Spin support so it can best take advantage of Regenerator. Just be careful not to compound Tangrowth's Fire-type weakness when picking a hazard layer or spinner. Tangrowth is very vulnerable to special attacks, particularly Ice- and Fire-type ones. As such, Tangrowth appreciates special walls that can easily switch into the Pokemon that like to switch into Tangrowth. Heatran and Tentacruel are especially good partners, having great offensive and defensive synergy with Tangrowth while also either providing hazards or removing them. Finally, Tangrowth also likes having a secondary physically defensive Pokemon it can switch places with in order to abuse Regenerator. RestTalk Gyarados and Vaporeon are good examples of Pokemon that can do this for Tangrowth, while also being able to support it in other ways as well. Finally, Tangrowth greatly dislikes status, especially if it's using Power Whip, so a cleric can be of help. The pink blobs, Blissey and Chansey, can take special hits for Tangrowth and cure its status problems, as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock should you need it.</p>

<p>The specific counters and checks for this set vary greatly depending on what Hidden Power Tangrowth is using. If it is using Hidden Power Ice, it'll have a lot of trouble with Ferrothorn, Forretress, Scizor, Skarmory, and other Steel-types, who can all use it as set-up fodder. In this case, a Fire-type Pokemon like Heatran is a must to keep from having hazards littered all over your side of the field. If Tangrowth is running Hidden Power Fire instead, then it has trouble dealing with Dragon-types and Gliscor, which will set up all over it and threaten to sweep, especially if Tangrowth also passed up on Leech Seed. In this instance, a sturdy phazer is appreciated, with Vaporeon getting a special mention for defensive synergy and Heal Bell support. If all else fails, a revenge killer such as Scarf Haxorus, Mamoswine, or Starmie can be a good investment to prevent these Pokemon from getting a clean sweep.</p>

There were quite a gew curly apostrophes so I only pointed out the first one, but I think I got them all. Anywho...

GP approved 2/2

OK just want to point out a couple things.

"it can then switch out afterwards none the worse for the wear thanks to Regenerator."

I'm 90% certain the phrase IS "worse for the wear", not "worse for wear". "Wear" in that phrase is intended to be a noun, not a verb, so "the" is vital to the phrase making sense. I do however, agree with adding "thanks to Regenerator" on the end.

"Entry Hazards in general are extremely useful,"

While I'm ok with adding "Entry" I do feel the "in general" is important. It was intended to convey the fact that ALL entry hazards are useful to Tangrowth. Perhaps instead of "in general", something like "of all sorts" would be better?

After these issues are dealt with I think we're all set. Also, sorry about the curly apostrophes, that's the default on MS word and I had completely forgotten about it despite the trouble they gave me with Vaporoen's GP check in the past. In the future I'll try to remember to go back and replace all the apostrophes when I post it on the forum (easy enough, since on the forum the default is the straight apostrophe).

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I've just looked it up and your right about worse for the wear, sorry about that :)

I try and avoid using phrases and words like "generally" and "in general" because they're really vague. Try "All entry hazards are extremely useful" or variations of that and it should be good to go.

Yeah, I've just looked it up and your right about worse for the wear, sorry about that :)

I try and avoid using phrases and words like "generally" and "in general" because they're really vague. Try "All entry hazards are extremely useful" or variations of that and it should be good to go.
Alright then, I'm using "of all sorts" because that's more my style and means the exact same thing as what you said while still being grammatically correct. I'll make the edit right now, you'll know I'm finished when I change the topic category to "done"

EDIT: All done then, that brings my total set analysis number up to 2! I wish I could get more but all the good sets have been found already :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)