Team F.*.C.K. Y.O.U. S.T.E.A.L.T.H. R.O.C.K.

Before gen V servers were released, I figured a sunny day team built of a Ninetales-Venusaur-Charizard Core may be sucsessful. One may or may not refere to this as the Ninevenazard™ core.

Then, I decided to try out what I though were the two coolest pokemon released this generation, Wargle and Gigigasu.

Finally, I added Sazandorra, a powerfull special attacker with good stats and a great typing.

I kept this team for a long time, but I felt like Gigigasu wasn't pulling his weight. He may be good in sand, but not as good in sun. I really tried to keep him, but no matter how I changed him around, he still didn't cut it. I Replaced him with forteress, to set up hazzards/spin. Bye wierd rock monster thing :/

The next cut went to Wargle. I liked him alot, and suggest using him, but he was just to slow (I scarfed him, but being locked into one move hurt). I changed him to a fellow bird, staraptor (with a choice band). Bye BC eagle :/

The next change went like this
  • I changed Forteress to the dual screens Cresselia with psycic in the last slot.
  • I changed Cresselia to a dual screens-stealth rock-rapin spin claydol set, but he wasn't bulky enough for my taste.
  • I changed back to Cresselia

The finall, and most recent change, was Starapor to Infernape. More power and speed and great type coverage.

Now, for defensive support, you guys suggested donphan

The current team

Remember, I play with the wifi-clause, so the order of my pokemon means nothing

The weather supporter

Ninetales@ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Drought
200 Defense/56 Special Defense/252 HP
~Fire Blast
~Solar Beam
~Will-o-Wisp
~Hypnoisis​

This is my bluky ninetales. Maxing bulk was a priority,so I could switch in at least a few times, although I am hesitant to switch him in before opponent permanant weather abusers have been removed, so that stealth rock dosen't screw me over. The ev's were selected to take maximum bulk from both sides of the offensive spectrum. Fire blast is there for manditory STAB, and solar beam, a grass type move, complements it well, (again, I stay away from switching into ninetales before weather changers have been eleminated) and dosen't require the charge turn. Will-o-wisp cripples any non-fire physical attacker, and hypnoisis is used for anything that resists will-o-wisp.​

The early game physicall sweeper

Venusaur@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Ability:Chlorophyll
252 Speed/252 Attack/ 4 HP
~Earthquake
~Power Whip
~Swords Dance
~Sleep Powder​

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why not go mixed with the buffed growth? Well, Power Whip is venusaur's strongest, most reliable STAB move, and it is physicall. Next, its earthquake/sludge bomb, a boosting move, and sleep powder. I choose earthquake>sludge bomb for more coverage, and ground is a better offensive type than poison. Sleep powder allows venusaur to remove a counter/check/whatever its called now, and boost with swords dance for a solid constant +2 attack, as they sleep or switch out. I choose venusaur for the team, as its new ability, chlorophyll, allows it to become a speedy and fearsome sun sweeper in the 5th generation.​

The late game special sweeper

Charizard@ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Ability:Solar Power
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense
~Fire Blast
~Air Slash
~Dragon Pulse
~Solar Beam​

If you were a little shackey with venusaur, your probably screaming "uBer nOOb! CHariZaRd is raPeD bY stEalTh RoCks aNd WaS iN NU aNd suCkS"(my impression of you is amazing, huh?) Anyway, charizard had made a huge comeback this generation. An amazing sun dependent ability, and a permant sun abuser were charizards greatest new toys this generation. Now, not having a rapid spinner, and charizards huge recoil may seem like a problem, but the last member of the team helps charizard get around it, but I'll explain that when I get to her. Anyways, fireblast/airslash are for reliable STAB with decent coverage, and dragon pulse hits dragons, and solar beam rounds coverage almost perfectly in the sun (only resisted by heatran, right?)​

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock​

Suggested by you guys, being tested.Works fairls well

The all game special sweeper

Sazandorra@ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Ability:Levitate
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/ 4 Hp
~Fire Blast
~Draco Meteor
~Dark Pulse
~Focus Blast

Sazandora is amazing. He is an important figure in every match, and often buys me early game momentum, or clinchs late game. Specs make any attack put a dent in any pokemon not resisting it that isn't blissey or chansey. Fire blast is usually my primary attack of choice, having great type coverage and ok reliability. Once steel types have been removed, I can spam draco meteor 1-2 times, before switching out. Dark pulse is a reliable STAB move, with decent coverage. Finally, focus blas is the newest addition to his moveset, that allows him to hit things like tyranitar, but leaves him open to ST shandera.

252 Attack/252 HP/ 4 Def
Roobushin @Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability:Iron Fist
~Mach Punch
~Drain Punch
~Payback
~Stone Edge

Cresselia wasnt pulling her weight in battles, beeing to much of a defensive pokemon with not enough offense. Im sill testing him with this set I quite like, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sun teams really value having a rapid spinner on their team. I recommend either Starmi or Tentacruel.
Alas, neither of them do too well under the sun. atm, you have a fairly major Sandstorm weakness (it's extraordinarily easy for a SS team to OHKO Ninetales, and then set up weather of their own). Against them, you might say you play carefully, but a well-constructed team could pick you apart with Garchomp and Doryuuzu alone. I'd suggest putting in a physically defensive Donphan, in place of Infernape. In this high-paced meta, Infernape's pathetic defenses and mediocre offenses aren't really mediated by its Speed, and you have plenty of other wallbreakers in your team. Donphan provides the team with a fairly nice Doryuuzu counter, as it isn't OHKOd by a +2 EQ, and it can Spin away any hazards that would destroy Charizard.
Good luck with the team.

^nothing, i made it up and i was too lazy to make up what it stands for. ill make it mean somthing now.

Donphan will now be tested

EDIT: I got nothing. Anyone else want to give it a shot?

DOUBLE EDIT: Hows
Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
4/252/252 on ninetails is not a good spread. Max Defense/Max Sp.Def is only viable on a pokemon whose HP stat is much higher than either defence (i.e wobbufet.) Try a 252/200/56 spread. This allows you to always survive jolly Garchomp's earthquake at full health as well as giving ninetails great special bulk. Also, the donphan set looks good, however, you may want stealth rocks over ice shard/stone edge, as this team is notably lacking entry hazards. good luck on your team!

I notice some really fast STAB Rock attacks can tear your team to shreds, like LO Aerodactyl, Scarf Terakion or Flight Jewel Acrobat Aakeosu. Donphan should be a good choice here as your sole rock resist.

Also, Solarbeam on Ninetales is just asking for Tyranitar to switch in and Stone Edge your ass off while you charge you laser.

One quick, quick thing: you have no steel types. Seriously, that's bad. Random draco meteors or scarf outrages basically force you to sacrifice things, which is especially troublesome when common dragons are pretty good counters to a lot of your team. (And cressy is not a good dragon switch in, especially not now with Sazandora around, and especially not without recovery).

Bronzong over cresselia is the most obvious choice, and it can run stealth rock quite easily. It also checks or counters a lot of things on sandstorm teams and doesn't fair terribly against rain. Obviously, bronzong doesn't love sun, but it's a good option.

If you decide to keep cresselia around, run moonlight over lunar dance. I don't know how often you use it, but in my experience, lunar dance is really hard to pull off since you basically have to switch things in and out when you really, really don't want to.

Your other choice would be heatran: he could fit over infernape or charizard and add a lot more bulk to the team. Running heatran over charizard would make your team fairly ground weak, so you'd probably also want to replace infernape with something too. Heatran could run an effective support set, potentially providing SR, or perhaps a scarfed set to revenge kill (only venusaur/mach punch from infernape can really revenge things and venusaur can't revenge against weather). Either way, heatran would add a lot of bulk to the team, which is quite nice, while still being powerful unlike cressy/bronzong.

If you decide to keep charizard, and even if you don't, you probably want a spinner. One option you might not have considered is Doryuuzu. Although obviously not as good as he is in sand, he provides a valuable rock resist (although weak to ground, which isn't nice for your team). He also helps a fair amount against opposing sandstorm teams, especially if you run jolly, and even without sandstorm is a fantastic offensive spinner. Doryuuzu would fit best over infernape.

4/252/252 on ninetails is not a good spread. Max Defense/Max Sp.Def is only viable on a pokemon whose HP stat is much higher than either defence (i.e wobbufet.) Try a 252/200/56 spread. This allows you to always survive jolly Garchomp's earthquake at full health as well as giving ninetails great special bulk. Also, the donphan set looks good, however, you may want stealth rocks over ice shard/stone edge, as this team is notably lacking entry hazards. good luck on your team!
used this suggestion. op will be updated

I notice some really fast STAB Rock attacks can tear your team to shreds, like LO Aerodactyl, Scarf Terakion or Flight Jewel Acrobat Aakeosu. Donphan should be a good choice here as your sole rock resist.
in dream world, aerodactl is as common as rotom-s was in ou last gen.
Terakion is as common as porygon-2 was
Aakeosu is as common as swellow was
not verry concerning
also, donphan is on the team. check the op I just updated

Also, Solarbeam on Ninetales is just asking for Tyranitar to switch in and Stone Edge your ass off while you charge you laser.
quoted, from the op
"solar beam, a grass type move, complements it well, (again, I stay away from switching into ninetales before weather changers have been eleminated)"

One quick, quick thing: you have no steel types. Seriously, that's bad. Random draco meteors or scarf outrages basically force you to sacrifice things, which is especially troublesome when common dragons are pretty good counters to a lot of your team. (And cressy is not a good dragon switch in, especially not now with Sazandora around, and especially not without recovery).
actually, creselia takes on dragons like a champ

Bronzong over cresselia is the most obvious choice, and it can run stealth rock quite easily. It also checks or counters a lot of things on sandstorm teams and doesn't fair terribly against rain. Obviously, bronzong doesn't love sun, but it's a good option.
donphan has sr covered. im going to stick with creselia

If you decide to keep cresselia around, run moonlight over lunar dance. I don't know how often you use it, but in my experience, lunar dance is really hard to pull off since you basically have to switch things in and out when you really, really don't want to.
? I really lost you here. lunar dance recovers all the hp and statuses of the pokemon that switches in (they get in for free, however) I like the moonlight idea, and may put that in over psycic

Your other choice would be heatran: he could fit over infernape or charizard and add a lot more bulk to the team. Running heatran over charizard would make your team fairly ground weak, so you'd probably also want to replace infernape with something too. Heatran could run an effective support set, potentially providing SR, or perhaps a scarfed set to revenge kill (only venusaur/mach punch from infernape can really revenge things and venusaur can't revenge against weather). Either way, heatran would add a lot of bulk to the team, which is quite nice, while still being powerful unlike cressy/bronzong.
nape was replaced by donphan, and im sticking with charizard

If you decide to keep charizard, and even if you don't, you probably want a spinner. One option you might not have considered is Doryuuzu. Although obviously not as good as he is in sand, he provides a valuable rock resist (although weak to ground, which isn't nice for your team). He also helps a fair amount against opposing sandstorm teams, especially if you run jolly, and even without sandstorm is a fantastic offensive spinner. Doryuuzu would fit best over infernape.
dory sucks outside of sand, and donphans got rock resist/spining covered

thanks everyone

I'd try out Earth Power on Sazandora, hits Ttar hard and reliably. I'm not sure what exactly to drop for it. Perhaps Dark Pulse?

nah man, focus blasts hits t-tar hard, and dark pulse revenges pringles/shandera
earth power just isnt as appealing

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey sqwatt500. This is a really decent sun teamthat uses a potent core to do a lot of damage. However, you lack a steel type and a choice scarfer resulting in a lot of threats having the ability to do some serious damage to your team. I fully agree with suggestion a few posts above that says you should use a Heatran. I feel that a ScarfTran would work well as it adds some needed speed to your team and some extra bulk. Something like this would work really well:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
252SpA / 252Spe / 4HP
Timid Nature
~Fire Blast
~Earth Power
~Hidden Power Electric
~Dragon Pulse

This set gives you some insurance against stuff like Shaymin-s and Darkrai, whilst also performing as an exceptional sweeper with double STAB Fire Blast under the sun. HP Electric is for Gyarados who poses a small threat to your team after a Dragon Dance and Dragon Pulse is for dragons such as Yache Berry Garchomp and Sazandora.
Keep up the good work and good luck with the team!

Im tempted to throw tran in, but its fairly risky to play with two choiced pokemon. Too muck switching. Also, the team has become more and more specially based, and Im sick of being walled by blissey

Im tempted to throw tran in, but its fairly risky to play with two choiced pokemon. Too muck switching. Also, the team has become more and more specially based, and Im sick of being walled by blissey

You ask for a rate but simply ignores it.

Really, Solarbeam is a TERRIBLE move. First of all, you can never guarantee you have all the weather mons are down, Secondly, it makes you setup bait for the gigantic amount of pokes that resist it: CM Latias, DD Mence, DD Nite, Nattorei coming to set up entry harzards, NP or SD Luke.

Seriously, drop it. It's suckish and will cost the base of your team: your weather mon.

Finally: Terakion is uncommon??? What the hell?? RP Terakion is indeed very common.

Try to accept better the good advice given to you. And get rid of the terrible Solarbeam, please.

You ask for a rate but simply ignores it.

Really, Solarbeam is a TERRIBLE move. First of all, you can never guarantee you have all the weather mons are down, Secondly, it makes you setup bait for the gigantic amount of pokes that resist it: CM Latias, DD Mence, DD Nite, Nattorei coming to set up entry harzards, NP or SD Luke.

Seriously, drop it. It's suckish and will cost the base of your team: your weather mon.

Finally: Terakion is uncommon??? What the hell?? RP Terakion is indeed very common.

Try to accept better the good advice given to you. And get rid of the terrible Solarbeam, please.
First off dude, chill. Take a step back, its pokemon.
Seccond, solar beam isnt that bad. And as Ive quoted form the Op before
"solar beam, a grass type move, complements it well, (again, I stay away from switching into ninetales before weather changers have been eleminated)" If im barely going to switch into ninetales while poli/t-tar are around, i will most certainly NOT use solar beam if there still alive. Thats common sense
Third, its the facts. In dw,Terakion isnt to common, heres the link since you'll probably just blow that off anyway.Terakion is #78

I'd use claydol on this team
its resist the popular quakedge of gen 5
and it can rapid spin and isn't hurt by spikes and t xpikes you are trying to spin away
jsut make sure its very bulky
he can take cress' place and be a screen supporter too.
I'd replace infernape with tran or something to take dragon attacks

overall though, your team is too defensively weak to be balance
You should be going all out attack to hit pokes hard with boosted fire attacks/speed

again, infernape isnt on the team, its donphan
come on guys ive said this so many times. also, its donphan, who isnt weak in the sun>starmie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)