Team UUnderappreciated

So, after some weeks of basking in the UU environment, I've compiled a team that I hope will kick some serious ass. I'm still testing but with mixed results and I was hoping to see where I'm going wrong. I'm still new to this so please forgive any glaring weaknesses that are apparent.

Changes and removals in Red. Further commentary in Bold.

Drapion

Drapion (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Night Slash
- Rock Slide

. First of all let me say, Drapion is a beast. good Atk, good Def, and only one(!) weakness makes him a hardy poke. Drapion is my anti-lead and although EQ is very common in normal play most leads don't run it, and, it's easy to scout so he very rarely takes one. Ice fang deals with the fairly common Roserade lead as well as other grasses, EQ deals with Typhlosion, Arcanine and other fire types. Night Slash will 2HKO mesprit and deal serious damage to his psychic amigos. Rock Slide is there for one reason: Yanmega. Yanmega can seriously mess up my team if not dealt with quickly and a 4x weakness to rock does just that. It also deals with Moltres who can be tricky to take down as well. Factor in Sniper and the fact that most of these moves have a high CH ratio, as well as CB, and you have a serious monster. Still in Use.

Donphan

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard/ Assurance

I'm not quite sure I'm sold on Donphan yet. Previously I was using Sandslash and he seemed to last a lot longer, as well as having a more reliable way of dealing with those ghost types who appear at the sight of a Rapid Spinner. As I often don't get the chance to set up SR before one of them appears, Assurance doesn't do much damage. Anway, Ice Shard is good for revenge kills, and EQ is a good STAB. Okay, Donphan has proven his worth. Greater Atk and Def than Sandslash is a big plus. Running Assurance meant no Ice Shard which sucks, but the amount of Ghosts switching into him has proved it nessecary. Assurance hits hard enough to break through Mismagius Sub's which means it can't set up.

Drifblim
Drifblim (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP/252 Def/88 Spd/124 SAtk/32 SDef
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

I love this big ghost balloon and regardless, he will always find a place on my team. Switching in on Fake Out Ambipom and other normal types never fails to make me feel good. As well as hitting back with HP fighting. Shadow Ball is for STAB and Substitute allows me to Baton Pass on huge subs to this guy: Replaced with Dusclops. Rock and Electricity weakness was a big factor, as Rotom can run wild on this. As well, Linoone is gone too so there's no need for gigantic Subs no more. I still love it :(

Dusclops

Dusclops (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/36 Atk/20 Def/200 Spd
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
This guy rules. Full stop. Switch in on normal or psychic types, wait for the switch and then wallop what ever is coming in with a Focus Punch. This works great because it gets the two most common switch ins- Dark and Normal types. Houndoom comes in expecting a Wow to boost it's fire power but gets OHKO'ed. Shadow Ball for STAB, Wow to cripple incomers that are planning to do a number on it and Pain Split as recovery.

Linoone
Linoone (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 116 HP/252 Atk/136 Spd/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- Extremespeed
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Claw
Most people see this guy coming in off a Baton Pass with a huge Sub and know whats coming. After a Belly Drum this guy will sweep a good 2,3,4 pokes before going out in a blaze of glory. Haze Altaria and Milotic will spoil the party as well as steel types. This set pretty much explains itself but if any one can suggest better type coverage I'd be very happy to listen. Gone. To hard to get into play safely, and despite it's purpose, doesn't guarantee OHKO's on most pokes.

Ludicolo

Ludicolo (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
Much in the same vein as Drapion, Ludicolo is an underated pokemon. A unique typing allows it to overcome some of the more common counters each of its seperate types would succumb to. I decided to chose Grass Knot over Energy Ball because of the more common heavy waters in UU like Milotic, Quagsire and Slowbro/King. Surf as well for STAB, Ice Beam to deal with other grasses that don't run any poison moves and Toxic is good for a switch in that your unsure of. Switched to a Choice Specs variety. Changed to Swift Swim to benefit more from rain. Hydro Pump 2HKO's a common switch in, Registeel. Not sure about having two water attacks but Surf is good for when something NEEDS to hit, given the shaky accuracy of HP. Ice beam is pretty much guaranteed to kill any grass switch in.
Slowbro

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psychic
- Surf
My bulky water. With Calm Mind and Slack Off, slowbro can last for a very long time if the usual counters have been dealt with. Even at that, if allowed to set up a few CM's even typical counters will have a hard time. Psychic and Surf are, again, STAB. Still in Use.

Finally, a new addition:

Chansey

Chansey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Def/4 Spd/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Softboiled
- Body Slam
I know, it's an unconventional set. Chansey is basically team support. Healing Status and passing on Wish have really given my other pokes much more longevity, and if Chansey does this then it's doing its job. I'm still not sure about Softboiled as well as Wish but it's good for immediate healing when Wish would come too late. As for it's attack, I decided to go for STAB Body Slam instead of the more common Seismic toss. With Serene grace Body slam cripples 60% of the time, giving further team support. With Aromatherapy, Natural Cure is sort of redundant as Chansey is sturdy enough to waste a few turns if she's paralysed before Aromatherapy works.

So, there's my team. I'd be very grateful for any constructive criticism/ suggestions.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Problems:

Life Orb Roserade
Sub CM Mismagius

How to fix:

Your walls are really weak to Life Orb Roserade (with HP Ground) and without any legit check to it, it will be hard to take down the whole match because it has Synthesis to heal off damage. The same goes for Mismagius, because it is highly capable of setting up infront of Slowbro. My simple suggestion would be the addition of Registeel for Donphan, to check both these threats:

Registeel
@ Leftovers
Careful Nature (SpD+ / SpA-)
252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 SpD

- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave

This guy would make a solid addition, checking guys like Mismagius and Life orb Roserade. You still have SR which can help Linoone. Iron Head is your main weapon vs. Mismagius and Roserade. Thunder Wave scores a paralysis on Mismagius trying to Calm Mind instead of Subbing. Overall this would be a good addition for Donphan.

Although, I'm a bit iffy with Drapion lead, have you ever considered a Dugtrio lead with Life Orb or Focus Sash? Removes Arcanine early in the match and helps Linoone by removing unwanted Rock and Steel-types, gl.

First things first, your lead needs to know how to beat common UU leads if it is an anti lead. First of all, a CB lead isn't going places, and Drapion simply doesn't have the speed or bulk to compete with certain leads. Here are some common leads for you to think about beating before using Drapion as an unexpected lead:

- Scarfed leads (Moltres, Typhlosion) I guarantee you a Scarfed Moltres' Overheat coming from 125 Base Special Attack and unresisted is going to KO your Drapion. Eruption has an obvious KO as well from Typhlosion.
- Sashed leads (the majority of UU leads including Electrode, Roserade, Yanmega, etc.) Electrode's Explosion will leave Drapion in a serious health problem. Roserade will put you to sleep. Yanmega commonly runs HP Ground, and can also 2HKO with Bug Buzz without some serious Special bulk.
- Flinch and Flee (Ambipom, Persian) These leads are notorius for taking large chunks of another lead's health out. Most leads have to switch to avoid this. Technician + Fake Out + U-Turn/Return is doing a lot to your Drapion.
- SR leads (Donphan, Registeel) The leads are incredibly bulky, and Registeel may lose to Drapion, but Donphan will OHKO with EQ. Both will set up SR, making Drapion's attempts at killing them pointless. Drapion should have Taunt to deal with this.

Your Drapion is better off used late game. Even if he manages to dispatch a lead, most teams carry Dugtrio now, who will trap and KO you with STAB EQ. He should be your Pursuit user to revenge Rotom and Mismagius, who you cannot counter otherwise.
I understand Donphan's role on the team. I do however recommend Registeel + Claydol. Registeel does great with help from Slowbro.
Ludicolo is better off on a Rain Dance team, Linoone has no oppurtunities on your team to switch in and set up. Also, the mass users of priority in UU make Belly Drum a thing of the past, to put it straight and simple, it doesn't work anymore. Drifblim is outclassed by Spiritomb, Rotom and Mismagius. Donphan can be kept for insurance against Dragon Dance Altaria, who otherwise 6-0's you.

UU Teams are centered around status, stall, priority, and type advantage, so base your team as such. Know your UU threats, which is just as important as in OU. Good Luck on changes you decide to make, there is too little material for me to do much more.

First things first, your lead needs to know how to beat common UU leads if it is an anti lead. First of all, a CB lead isn't going places, and Drapion simply doesn't have the speed or bulk to compete with certain leads. Here are some common leads for you to think about beating before using Drapion as an unexpected lead:

- Scarfed leads (Moltres, Typhlosion) I guarantee you a Scarfed Moltres' Overheat coming from 125 Base Special Attack and unresisted is going to KO your Drapion. Eruption has an obvious KO as well from Typhlosion.
- Sashed leads (the majority of UU leads including Electrode, Roserade, Yanmega, etc.) Electrode's Explosion will leave Drapion in a serious health problem. Roserade will put you to sleep. Yanmega commonly runs HP Ground, and can also 2HKO with Bug Buzz without some serious Special bulk.
- Flinch and Flee (Ambipom, Persian) These leads are notorius for taking large chunks of another lead's health out. Most leads have to switch to avoid this. Technician + Fake Out + U-Turn/Return is doing a lot to your Drapion.
- SR leads (Donphan, Registeel) The leads are incredibly bulky, and Registeel may lose to Drapion, but Donphan will OHKO with EQ. Both will set up SR, making Drapion's attempts at killing them pointless. Drapion should have Taunt to deal with this.

Your Drapion is better off used late game. Even if he manages to dispatch a lead, most teams carry Dugtrio now, who will trap and KO you with STAB EQ. He should be your Pursuit user to revenge Rotom and Mismagius, who you cannot counter otherwise.
I understand Donphan's role on the team. I do however recommend Registeel + Claydol. Registeel does great with help from Slowbro.
Ludicolo is better off on a Rain Dance team, Linoone has no oppurtunities on your team to switch in and set up. Also, the mass users of priority in UU make Belly Drum a thing of the past, to put it straight and simple, it doesn't work anymore. Drifblim is outclassed by Spiritomb, Rotom and Mismagius. Donphan can be kept for insurance against Dragon Dance Altaria, who otherwise 6-0's you.

UU Teams are centered around status, stall, priority, and type advantage, so base your team as such. Know your UU threats, which is just as important as in OU. Good Luck on changes you decide to make, there is too little material for me to do much more.
I have to disagree with your statement with Drifblim. Personally, the reason why Drifblim isnt is because of BatonPass and its ability unburden+Salac boost. Drifblim can learn a variety of support moves like CalmMind and StockPile which after a Salac boost can pretty much ensure a BP to someone else who cant take a hit like Linoone or even Bibarel, or maybe Cradily (bc of suction cups).
I can only suggest that your Drif have a Defensive nature with (max hpEV doesnt even matter considering its only a small fractional increase so Def+spDef EV and speed)

Drifblim SalacBerry
StockPile
Substitute
Baton Pass
Calm Mind/Ominous Wind

This Blimp can hold its own against the other ghosts except rotom. etc. Try it out.

Thanks to every one who commented, I really appreciate the help. As far as Drapion as my lead goes, I'm still using him for the simple fact that I find it works.

First of all, thank you for your detailed input. However, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the most part about Drapion. I do agree with scarfed leads, as they require me to switch to Slowbro or Donphan to survive.

-Sashed Roserade has nothing that can harm me too much, and provided sleep powder misses, gets hit with Ice Fang. I know that requires sleep powder to miss but it's no more risky for me to depend on that than it is for them to depend on it hitting. Since Drapion outspeeds theres no fear of sleep powder on the second turn.

-Yanmega ties with Drapion in base speed on the first turn, but with a Jolly Nature Drapion outspeeds and 1HKO's with Rock Slide with no Sash. No Yanmega would run a +Spe nature with Speed Boost. with a Sash, it becomes a bit more risky but more often than not, Drapion survives and again hits it with Rock Slide. Beyond that it all depends on what will kill Yanmega without getting killed in the process.

- I think I've only came up against one Electrode that Exploded on the first turn, as most are there to set up Rain Dance or Taunt. EQ 1HKO's unsashed varieties but with 1HP left you know an explosion is coming, so a ghost switch in deals with that.

-Flinch and Flee types like Ambipom are easy to spot a mile off. For this I just switch in my Ghost type and switch back to Drapion for a weak Payback, or to what ever resists a U turn. And about the CB, most leads like the pixies or SR/Toxic Spike types who stay in to put up barriers or lay down spikes/SR face getting a sizeable chunk of their HP ripped off by a CB'ed Super Effective attack (Ice fang for grasses, Night slash for the pixies etc) and then switch to something that can kill Drapion, forcing me to switch anyway. I guess I was a bit over enthusiastic about his Anti-lead moniker, but he does allow me to deal with leads without letting them do much damage.

So I made some major changes to the team, because it just wasn't working out. Again, I'd be very grateful for any feedback.

Wait a sec, you DO know Chansey has 48 Atk, and access to the 100% better Thunder Wave to paralyze foes? Put TWave, Toxic or Protect in that spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)