- New format
- Change "Toxic Spiker" to "Rapin Spin Support"
- Add Knock Off and Ice Beam in AC of Rapid Spin
- Change "Sleep Talk Support" to "RestTalk"
- new SD EV Spread
- new RestTalk EV Spread

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tentacruel

[Overview]
<p>Tentacruel found its niche in OU through a very concentrated form of stall. Its ability to supply Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, and great special bulk all at once is extremely helpful. Tentacruel is less at home on balanced and semi-stall teams than it is on pure stall. However, its supporting abilities for the team should not be overlooked, since it is very reliable at what it does.</p>

<p>Despite carrying weaknesses to the common attacking types Ground and Electric, Tentacruel still manages to be a great defensive asset to stall teams, especially with its high Speed, which is unusual for a tank. It's a good consideration when building a defensive team, as while it isn't the best at most of the jobs it does, it does a lot extremely well.</p>

[SET]
name: Rapid Spin Support
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Surf
move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Sludge Bomb
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
nature: Calm
ability: Liquid Ooze
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is easily Tentacruel's most effective set, as it is able to provide the team with both Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin support. Tentacruel's Water/Poison typing alone lets it switch into a multitude of threats, and also lets it clear Toxic Spikes without even using Rapid Spin. Due to its considerable bulk and good defensive typing, Tentacruel can switch in without fear on some of OU's more powerful sweepers, such as Infernape and Scizor. By setting up Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spinning other entry hazards, Tentacruel makes a great pivot for balanced and stall teams, although without recovery, it won't be switching in repeatedly. Despite this, it is still an extremely good tank, as it can threaten common sweepers with a super effective STAB Surf while being able to switch into a variety of threats without fear.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>When it comes to moves, there isn't much Tentacruel can use. Surf is the reliable STAB move of choice, since unless it carries Choice Specs, Heatran's Earth Power will fail to KO, allowing Tentacruel to Surf for the 2HKO. Similarly, Infernape's Grass Knot / Thunderpunch won't OHKO while Tentacruel's Surf does. Hidden Power Electric is the best choice in the fourth moveslot since it allows Tentacruel to nab a quick KO on the likes of Gyarados, while also preventing Tentacruel from being walled by bulky Waters such as Suicune or Vaporeon.</p>

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Tentacruel's bulk, allowing it to survive most special attacks. This makes Tentacruel very difficult to KO, thus aiding its stalling abilty. It is possible to run Knock Off as your fourth move instead, since Tentacruel is most commonly found on a stall team; if it comes to a match of stall versus stall, removing the opponent's Leftovers will be beneficial. You can adjust the EVs to be more physically defensive, or you can add some more Speed to allow Tentacruel to get past some slower threats; however, the reduction in bulk means this is is not recommended.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Toxic Spikes
move 4: Surf
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
ability: Liquid Ooze
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Tentacruel has no reliable form of recovery, so it is often forced to rely on Blissey's Wish or something similar to avoid being quickly weakened. However, with a tweak to its EV spread, Tentacruel can be made to avoid KOs from common physical attackers such as Infernape and Machamp, and if it has set up Toxic Spikes beforehand, it can stall them out and let poison take its toll. Sleep Talk makes Rest viable, as while asleep Tentacruel can still attempt to set up Toxic Spikes or wear the foe down with Surf. This set can stick around longer, but again, Tentacruel cannot stand up to strong threats alone, or it will be hit by a strong, super effective attack. Despite this, Tentacruel can afford to set up and recover endlessly against weaker attackers or defensive Pokemon, giving its teammates safer opportunities to switch in.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EV spread has been designed so that Tentacruel isn't KOed by Heatran's Earth Power or Shaymin's Seed Flare, while also doing slightly better against more physical threats like Dragonite. However, you can try to run some more Special Defense EVs if physical threats are not a worry. This set functions most effectively on less stall-oriented teams, as it can still set up Toxic Spikes without needing full-on support. This set is more about support than defense, so don't be worried if Tentacruel dies after it sets up Toxic Spikes. Anything carrying Taunt is the best counter to this set, more so than the previous set. You can forego Toxic Spikes altogether for one of the attacking moves mentioned in the previous set, although this takes away from Tentacruel's supportive niche. Avoid Acupressure instead of Toxic Spikes - it is a gimmick, since Tentacruel will get phazed too often, and will require a lot of stat boosts to be a viable threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Poison Jab
move 4: Hydro Pump
nature: Lonely
evs: 232 Atk / 80 SpA / 196 Spe
ability: Clear Body
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Tentacruel's base 70 Attack is underwhelming, but it can do reasonable damage once it obtains a Swords Dance. Combine this with its useable Special Attack and it can utilize Hydro Pump to become an effective mixed sweeper. This means that physically-oriented defenders like Skarmory can be 2HKOed by Hydro Pump with proper EV investment. Tentacruel's STAB moves - Poison Jab and Waterfall - even provide reasonable coverage coming from its newfound strength. Occasionally, Tentacruel can catch the opponent by surprise and gain a second Swords Dance boost as they switch again in fear of the first. However, even with a single Swords Dance boost, Tentacruel has enough power to 2HKO many common attackers, while its own natural bulk prevents it from getting OHKOed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs give Tentacruel enough Speed to outpace Pokemon in the base 80 Speed group. This includes the likes of Dragonite, Mamoswine, and Togekiss, which Tentacruel can then proceed to KO with Poison Jab or Waterfall. An alternative EV spread of 212 Atk / 80 SpA / 216 Spe and a Hasty nature can be used as this lets Tentacruel outspeed Gliscor and KO with Hydro Pump, as well as KOing Gyarados with Poison Jab, since Clear Body prevents Intimidate from working. However, the drop in power will be extremely noticeable, and Tentacruel will not get the 2HKOs it needs. Gliscor and Flygon are still good counters, as Flygon will always outspeed Tentacruel, and Gliscor can be EVed to survive Hydro Pump. After switching in, both can OHKO Tentacruel with STAB Earthquake. This can be remedied by attempting a Hydro Pump on the switch to weaken them, but this makes it harder to obtain an Swords Dance boost later on.</p>

<p>To show the effectiveness of Tentacruel, here are some damage calculations against common defensive Pokemon, especially ones that are likely to switch into Tentacruel:</p>

<ul class="damage calculation>
<li>Life OrbHydro Pump vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 87.1% - 102.9%</li>
<li>Life Orb Hydro Pump vs 252 HP / 252 SpD Forretress: 46.9% - 55.4%</li>
<li>Life Orb Hydro Pump vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 61.4% - 72.8%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Waterfall vs 252 HP/ 252 Def Bold Blissey: 63.0% - 74.1%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Poison Jab vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Celebi: 88.1% - 104.5%</li>
<li>Life Orb Hydro Pump vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 41.6% - 49.0%</li>
<li>Life Orb Hydro Pump vs 252 HP / 80 SpD Rotom-A: 44.41% - 52.30%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Poison Jab vs 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Gyarados: 52.5% - 61.9%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Poison Jab vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune: 58.9% - 69.8%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Waterfall vs 252 HP / 120 Def Tentacruel: 40.9% - 48.4%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Waterfall vs 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Swampert: 46% - 55%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Waterfall vs 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Rotom-A: 55.3% - 65.1%</li>
<li>+2 Life Orb Poison Jab vs 156 HP / 96 Def Gyarados: 106.5% - 125.7%</li>
</ul>

[Team Options]
<p>Tentacruel is most commonly found on stall teams with the likes of Skarmory (which is immune to the Ground-type moves to which Tentacruel is weak) and Blissey (whose Fighting-type weakness is covered by Tentacruel). Generally, Wish support is the best form of support for the non-Rest set, since Tentacruel has no recovery method otherwise. Vaporeon is a good provider due to its physical bulk, although you must beware of the Electric-type weakness that it shares with Tentacruel. Skarmory is one of the better partners for Tentacruel, since it can switch into Ground-type moves and set up Spikes to rack up entry hazard damage. It can also use Whirlwind to shuffle the opponent's team, poisoning the opponents, doing damage, and scouting. Similarly, Hippowdon is immune to Electric-type moves and can set up Stealth Rock, while giving Tentacruel opportunities to switch in on Water- and Grass-type attacks. On less defensive teams, something to take Ground- and Electric-type moves is helpful, since offensive teams will tear holes in Tentacruel's defenses. Rotom-A and Flygon can be effective partners due to their ability to force many switches, which racks up Toxic Spikes damage even more. Tentacruel can work as an effective counter to the likes of Infernape and Breloom, so Pokemon like Swampert can also be effective in their defending.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Tentacruel's support options aren't as limited as you might think. It has Giga Drain for dealing with Swampert and other Ground-types, even if its power is lackluster. Ice Beam can be useful for hitting Flygon and Gliscor on the switch, although they're going to beat you with Earthquake most of the time. Confuse Ray and Mirror Coat can be good for hurting the foe more, but Tentacruel's other options are generally better. Tentacruel can attempt to use Accupressure to sweep when it's the last Pokemon on your team, but this is a bad idea as it'll likely be KOed before it can accumulate enough boosts.</p>

<p>Aside from Leftovers, Tentacruel, being a Poison-type, can use Black Sludge to heal HP,. This makes Trick users more wary about using Trick, but if that happens then they also have a damaging item to Trick onto your non-Poison Pokemon. You can try running an alternate EV spread with Timid and more Speed in order to 2HKO the likes of Gliscor and Roserade with Ice Beam, although 252 HP is a priority. 216 Special Attack EVs let Tentacruel always OHKO Dragonite with Ice Beam, and 132 Special Attack EVs let Tentacruel OHKO Infernape with Surf.</p>

[Counters]
<p>Despite Toxic Spikes hampering most of Tentacruel's counters, Swampert still has enough bulk to come into any attack Tentacruel has and launch an STAB Earthquake. The likes of Bronzong and Forretress are unaffected by Toxic Spikes and sometimes carry Earthquake. Similarly, Gyarados and Metagross have high-power Earthquakes while being immune to Toxic Spikes. Gengar and Rotom-A can be annoying since not only do they prevent Rapid Spin, but they also have Levitate (making them immune to Toxic Spikes) and Thunderbolt, which hits Tentacruel super effectively. Jirachi can also be a pain if it's the Calm Mind variant, as it will easily set up on you.</p>

Yeah I wouldn't try it on the main set.. but its a good late game win condition on RestTalk if your using Tentacruel as a check to Mixape, etc. during most of the game.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree. Accupressure is a good move for hitting Rotom-A switch-ins (and Starmie), even though they aren't hit particularly hard. The main issue with Accupressure is that there's trouble fitting it onto the main set, as the moves on the set are very crucial. However, it can definitely be mentioned in AC.
Acupressure isn't an attack.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah RL, I was thinking of Assurance...which Tentacruel doesn't even get -.- man, I'm tired.... when I read it I was like, "wait, Tentacruel gets Assurance?" and then I was like "oh, I guess it does!" and started theorymonning it as a good option on Tentacruel.

In any event, I've used Accupressure Tentacruel a long time in the past, and it worked quite decently.

EDIT: by the way, everyone, RL didn't double post; I deleted my post in between his two :P

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh, thought I had replied to this already with the last QC changes -- sorry.

Anyways, here is what´s been done:

Tentacruel
- Sleep Talk Support: My decisions remain without changes. I'd also like to see this set named "RestTalk" or "RestTalk Support".

- Swords Dancer

• New spread to be used (thanks to Blue Kirby for the respective input): 232 Atk / 80 SpA / 196 Spe.
  • The slash of Adamant as an optional nature to use should be removed, as if it's used Tentacruel won't be able to utilize Hydro Pump properly.
  • A Hasty nature and a spread of: 212 Atk / 80 SpA / 216 Spe should be mentioned in AC. The spread allows Tentacruel to outrun max Spe Gliscor (a huge threat to Tentacruel) and OHKO it with Hydro Pump. The lose of power should be mentioned as well; perhaps showing some of the calcs I put in my post below this one would be the appropriated.
  • Reword a couple of sentences that refer to Hydro Pump vs. Skarmory, Hippowdon, etc.
  • Emphasize on the threat Pokémon such as Flygon and Gliscor pose to this set, and therefore the importance of having teammates that can eliminate them in order to make Tentacruel's sweeping much easier. The current analysis only mention Metagross and Swampert as threats.
Basically, mention Knock Off and Ice Beam in the Rapid Spin Support set. Change the spread on the RestTalk Support set. Implement all the changes made in the SD set. If you come up with any doubt, don't hesitate to post either here or in my QC thread and I'll reply back to you ;).

cim

Knock Off has always been a waste on Tentacruel for me. I tried using it and I've literally never not regretted it. Either I want the extra residual damage of Life Orb, or I'd prefer they remain Choice locked.

If Knock Off gets added I would like people to post specific examples of it being useful so we can include them in the analysis.

Knock Off has always been a waste on Tentacruel for me. I tried using it and I've literally never not regretted it. Either I want the extra residual damage of Life Orb, or I'd prefer they remain Choice locked.

If Knock Off gets added I would like people to post specific examples of it being useful so we can include them in the analysis.
Knock Off is fantastic for Hail Stall.
I've run the standard Rapid Spin supporter EVs with Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, Knock Off, and Protect. It's always proven to be a great team player. Removing Rotom's item on the switch-in has never been a "waste" for me.
Thus far, there has never been a situation where I thought "Man, I miss Surf!", but it may just be because of the way my specific team is structured.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Knock Off is a pretty good asset on that set of Tentacruel. Having the opportunity to remove the item from Pokemon such as Blissey, Rotom-A, Heatran, Suicune, Gengar, Infernape, Tyranitar, (etc) is an excellent option that should not be overlooked.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I updated the Skeleton with all changes.
I'll wait for this to be approved before I start writing it up.

On the subject of Knock Off - Tentacruel's Defensive sets a usually more common in Stall, and Knock Off doens't help against offense, but rather it helps more against defensive teams - killing their Leftovers is always handy.
Alternatively, things like Jolteon or Lucario who need their Life Orb to score crucial KOes are also kinda lol'ed at.
It's worth a mention.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Before I approve this, wouldnt you want max speed on a base 100 pokemon for the SD set? This is pretty important to me as you want to outspeed or at least speed tie things that probably think are faster than you, I can see why SPA evs are needed for physical walls but id rather still use max speed + nature

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
I think the big thing about the speed is, now that Salamence is gone, the common base 100's in OU are; Jirachi, Flygon, Celebi and Zapdos. The first two are more commonly seen holding a Scarf, the second two can beat you with their STAB atacks (depending on the set), and even Celebi rarely runs Max Spe, so I don't see much of a need. 196 with Lonely is enough to outspeed all it needs to, and 216 with Hasty is mentioned in AC if you want to put it above everything it can.

cim

Knock Off is fantastic for Hail Stall.
I've run the standard Rapid Spin supporter EVs with Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, Knock Off, and Protect. It's always proven to be a great team player. Removing Rotom's item on the switch-in has never been a "waste" for me.
Thus far, there has never been a situation where I thought "Man, I miss Surf!", but it may just be because of the way my specific team is structured.
Knock Off is a pretty good asset on that set of Tentacruel. Having the opportunity to remove the item from Pokemon such as Blissey, Rotom-A, Heatran, Suicune, Gengar, Infernape, Tyranitar, (etc) is an excellent option that should not be overlooked.
Blissey and Suicune rarely depend on Leftovers to live through things, and while it makes them recover a little faster, it rarely matters in the context of full stall.

Heatran is often either carrying Choice Scarf, which for stall purposes is worse than no item at all, a Life Orb which you want on Heatran because it makes Spikes add up way faster as you force it out all the time, or Choice Specs which you'd rather keep so you can play around resists if you need to and so Heatran can't explode purely at will on Blissey.

Gengar is something stall usually has to deal with directly.

Infernape isn't staying in on Tentacruel and isn't beating it with Life Orb (unless it's running a set that also beats it without it). Much like Heatran, you want to keep Life Orb on Infernape to promote its own death as it takes 37% coming in and another 16% every turn even before Tspikes.

Tyranitar is running Choice Scarf even more often than Heatran, and you beat it with resistances even more than you do Heatran.

Rotom with Trick is the exception to the rule because fuck trick

Knock Off is one of those moves everyone loves because it looks great on paper but in battles it's often way better to use the item on the opponent to your advantage.

I think the big thing about the speed is, now that Salamence is gone, the common base 100's in OU are; Jirachi, Flygon, Celebi and Zapdos. The first two are more commonly seen holding a Scarf, the second two can beat you with their STAB atacks (depending on the set), and even Celebi rarely runs Max Spe, so I don't see much of a need. 196 with Lonely is enough to outspeed all it needs to, and 216 with Hasty is mentioned in AC if you want to put it above everything it can.
Neither of the latter two are OHKOing you even with Psychic and Thunderbolt.

My only experience with Knock Off Tentacruel is in Hail stall.
As Zystral said, Knock Off is most useful against defensive teams. Removing the Leftovers recovery on walls is often invaluable in helping me win stall wars where I'm getting 6% recovery every turn to negate the residual damage of Hail and my opponent is not. Against offensive teams I don't find myself using it much, but removing choice items on wallbreakers (usually on the switch-in) can sometimes come in handy. I've never regretted having Knock Off on Tentacruel.
It is a kind of situational move, but it is definitely AC worthy.

Setsuna

Prototype
@Chris is me: your points of view are entirely one sided, and let me explain you why.

1. You can argue that a Pokemon without Life Orb will have more opportunities to attack and switch in on attacks, however, a Gengar / Infernape, / Heatran / whatever with a 30% less of power is an amazingly huge consideration.
2. The same applies for CS users. Remove the CS from Heatran, Rotom-A, Jirachi, and your opponent will have lost his revenge killer to something, or the Pokemon will simply not serve the purpose it was destined to fulfill at first anymore.

In my opinion, employ the reasoning to both faces of the coin before submitting the analysis.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're playing stall, again, Knocking off a Scarf does your opponent more good than harm. Considering that Tentacruel is a meh Pokemon for offensive support (there are much better TSpikers out there for more offensive teams, like Roserade), it's unlikely that your opponent is going to actually need a Choice Scarf to revenge stuff on your team, and as such, all the Choice Scarf does is guarantee that they'll get walled horribly without great prediction.

I'll buy the Life Orb bit, but I still think that Knock Off is dead weight much of the time, relegated only to AC/OC rather than getting a slash.

If you're playing stall, again, Knocking off a Scarf does your opponent more good than harm. Considering that Tentacruel is a meh Pokemon for offensive support (there are much better TSpikers out there for more offensive teams, like Roserade), it's unlikely that your opponent is going to actually need a Choice Scarf to revenge stuff on your team, and as such, all the Choice Scarf does is guarantee that they'll get walled horribly without great prediction.

I'll buy the Life Orb bit, but I still think that Knock Off is dead weight much of the time, relegated only to AC/OC rather than getting a slash.
Yes, but also consider that the removal of Tyranitar, Heracross, or [insert wallbreaker here]'s Choice Band/Specs can be pretty nifty.
I agree that it should be AC material, though. It's far too situational to deserve a main slash on any of Tentacruel's listed sets.

Setsuna

Prototype
Seven Deadly Sins, although I disagree with some of the points you made, I think that I have not proposed Knock Off for being slashed; I want it to be AC material ;)

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
-------------------------~
~---------------------------

<- approves this topic 3/3

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
well, that felt like a lot but looking at it now, it's actually pretty short. Guess there's not much to say about Tentacruel.

If this could get GP checks now, it;'ll be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)