The 6v6 metagame

Approved by several cruel and abusive Pokémon Mods active on IRC at the moment. Please do not ban me. Thanks, the administration.

As many of you know PokéLab generously includes the ability to battle with up to six Pokémon out at a time, among other reasons to make the implementation of Triple Battles easier. DP has nothing but 1v1 and 2v2 though, so anything above those numbers is simply a metagame that does not exist. But I think they can be fun to discuss. This thread will be about the most chaotic of them all, the 6v6 metagame. It's artificial, but just because it isn't real doesn't mean it's not possible!

When PokéLab was first being tested, 6v6 was very popular. Most people didn't play it with any rules at all and so far there hasn't been an official ruleset released. Since there's no Ladder for it either, I prefer to schedule my 6v6 matches with the rule set agreed upon beforehand. So actually, we should be talking about 6v6 metagames, in plural.

The main three rules that upset the balance of 6v6 if removed are Species Clause, Uber Clause and Sleep Clause. Many teams I've seen like to break all three. Personally, I think it would be more balanced to have all three intact. But in this thread, I think it's excusable to go over all possibilities.

The first archetype is probably the obvious Rain abuse. In battles with Ubers allowed, Kyogre is your obvious #1 Pokémon. Otherwise, I think the best choice is to go with Electrode with either Choice Scarf, Focus Sash or Lum Berry to set up Rain Dance.

Obvious partners for the Rain set-up are Kabutops, Ludicolo, Omastar, Toxicroak, and practically any other Swift Swimmer you can think of. It's easy come, easy go: just use your absurdly powerful Water attacks to crush the opposition. Surf hits everything on the field at once, which makes Specs sets really viable on some of these. Kabutops can make great use of Rock Slide, which also hits everything on the field and has a 27% chance of flinching an individual Pokémon (factoring in miss chance). In non-Species Clause games, I can see multiple Kabutops being a good idea. Teams that make use of physical attacks might want to put Haze on Omastar, so they can negate the threat of...

Intimidate teams. Intimidate reduces the Attack of every opponent on the field by one stage, and they stack. This was actually the first team I used and I loved it whenever it worked, even though it was silly. I used Staraptor, Arcanine and Gyarados as my Intimidators, and then Snorlax and Blissey to take advantage of the opponent's lowered Attack and their own high Special Defense. My final Pokémon was what I call a "tech": Azelf. Imprison/Explosion/Protect/Psychic I believe was what I ran, used to stop people from using Explosion and Protect, both of which could be annoying. The great thing about the Intimidators is that they pack moves that can kill Pokémon with Clear Body, most notably Metagross.

Either way, the idea of that team was to set up Curse Snorlax, while using Blissey to paralyze opponents with Thunder Wave and cleaning status with Aromatherapy. It was gimmickish, and possibly less successful than a team with more Intimidate. Keep in mind this team assumed the ban of Salamence, even though sometimes it ended up facing people with Kyogre and Darkrai.

Speaking of Darkrai, obviously without Sleep Clause there's no reason not to abuse Sleep to the maximum extend. Dark Void sleeps everything on the opponent's side, which allows you to do whatever they do not want you to. Choice Scarf Darkrai is a good idea since it will allow you to put enemies to sleep before they exploit Darkrai's relatively low defenses, or anything else on your team.

Another funny archetype is flinch abuse, hinted at with Kabutops in the rain. With Ubers allowed, a good Pokémon for this is Deoxys-S or Deoxys-A. As mentioned, Rock Slide hits all 6 opponents, and for each of them there's a 27% chance to flinch them with one Rock Slide. A single slower Pokémon facing six Rock Slides in a turn has about 15% chance of acting, which is disgustingly good. Of course, each of these Deoxys still has three moveslots remaining, which you can use for whatever you like. Maybe a coverage move such as Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Superpower (White Herb can be used to stop the attack loss) or Grass Knot to OHKO one of the opponents on the field. Personally I only used 5 Deoxys on my version, putting in one Darkrai that I could use in Sleep Clauseless games, plus Haze for against Intimidate teams. In non-Uber games, obviously Kabutops with Swift Swim can be abused for this, or else there's Aerodactyl.

And obviously there's Explosion, which pretty much kills everything on the field. It has some problems, but all of them can be worked around. Stop Protect with Imprison, kill Ghosts with Darkrai or Tyranitar, etc.

This is just the metagame as I perceive it, which might look very close-minded considering how few battles I've done as of yet. So please talk about your experiences!

Please, discuss away! When talking about a strategy, please provide the assumed ruleset to avoid confusion.

The Social group I make can be found here. 6 v 6

A notable stragery is abusing Lava Plume, Heat Wave and Flash Fire. If a Flash Fire Pokemon uses protect, it can still recieve a Flash Fire boost from lava plume, without taking any other damage. Using 5 Flash Fire Pokemon and multiple Lava Plumes, you can easily despatch of the opponents Pokemon.

Tailwind also deserves a mention as a very useful move

I had success with masquerain as an intimidator on my own team. It intimidates first turn, and then uses tailwind. After that, it can use twister to try flinching opponents. Quite effective.

Earthquake abuse is also fun. With protect on arcanine, you can use earthquake with gyarados and tauros (another good intimidator), with most of the rest of your team being immune.

I tried out a blizzard spam team. Scarf everything with a powerful blizzard and abomasnow. Blizzard hits everything, has a 10% freeze chance per hit, and has a chance to hit through protect (in d/p)... It worked out pretty well.

I never ran water absorb, but surf spam with water absorb seems pretty effective.

Didn't see any trick room teams, but they seem nice in theory.

Anyone try eruption/water spout abuse?

Tailwind and intimidate seem useful in this metagame.... Also I would love to see teams revolved around explosion + TTar + Protect. You don't have to predict the switch into a ghost making it much easier.

Used Rock Slide abuse with 5 Deoxys-E and an Aerodactyl. Worked near flawlessly against a Sunny Day team.

Cherrim, anyone?

I used a kingdra-based RD team on one of my friends who was using a blizzard team.

And quite surprisingly, I won. I think using moves like hail/sandstorm/sunny day/rain dance are more effective in this metagame than just having instant-weather inducers. There's only a 50/50 chance that your weather effect is going to get up, and if it doesn't, you're pretty much fucked from the start.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Well I guess I'm way late for this fad.

Trick Room is hilariously powerful. Running something like max speed Starmie with Trick Room lets me set up most of the time while the rest of my team protects. Rhyperior/Gorebyss/Bronzong/Machamp/Ursaring take care of it from there with "fast" Rock Slides (and a Muddy Water) and various other moves. Flinching abounds under four powerful Rock Slides, one of which is backed by No Guard. If Starmie is still alive at the end of the second turn, Gravity goes up. Bronzing also carries Trick Room and Gravity in case of emergency. It's worked out decently well! I think this is the best of my 6v6 teams so far.

Flash is an obnoxious piece of work, if very gimmicky. Have a fast Exploder and four or so Endure -> Custap abusers. Have a utility ghost around to set up whatever you need to counter the opposing team, like Rain versus a sandstorm team, or what have you. Turn two, unless four priority Flashes on them, reducing their accuracy to less than 43%. Whatever's left of your forces (usually two-three flashers and your ghost) go on to casually dismantle the remainder of their team. It's gimmicky, but very fun to pull off.

Surf Abuse is a very real threat. Water absorb and Dry Skin are just common enough to build a reasonable team; and with either an Electrode to rain and explosion, or a Crobat to carry rain and tailwind, you can easily just set up and press the Surf button until everything on the other side of the field is dead. The mirror match is hell, though.

Icy Wind is powerful enough to build a team around. Four or so users is usually plenty; putting all of your foes at -2 to 4 Speed without using a mon for Tailwind is extremely devastating. Compounding this is the fact that you'll access to plenty of Ice Shard on this sort of team, meaning enemy Priority doesn't present much of an issue. Metagross is sort of a prick for this sort of team if they lack a couple of good Shadow Balls.

Discharge suffers from a lack of abusers but can still be put to decent use alongside some Ground-types. Run some Volt Absorbers and Electivire. They wreck things really nicely. Dugtrio makes a good partner for this with a fast Rock Slide; Flygon and Gliscor are also worth considering.

Earthquake is ridiculously noob-friendly. Just find yourself six physical-attacking flying-types and/or levitators and run Protect / Earthquake / Rock Slide / ??? on each one. Easy.

I'll investigate Flash Fire / Lava Plume and Intimidate if I can find enough opponents. The demand for this must have dried up real fast. Sad, because this is some of the most fun I've ever had with Pokeymans, and I would love to have a few dozen quickies with various teams on some sort of ladder.

Can you stack Flower Gift boosts? Because if you can, it seems like a team of Groudon + 5 Cherrims would be good.

The point, obviously, is that you have a Groudon on the first turn with +5 in every stat, whic seems like it would be able to run over an entire team.

Can you stack Flower Gift boosts? Because if you can, it seems like a team of Groudon + 5 Cherrims would be good.

The point, obviously, is that you have a Groudon on the first turn with +5 in every stat, whic seems like it would be able to run over an entire team.
Sorry, doesn't work that way. Flower Gift only raises attack and special defense, not every stat, and it does not stack.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Well there seems to be a snafu in my last post: Flash is single target. Should've tested it. I attribute all of its success to explosion Electrode.

Anyway, testing Intimidate in a sec.

Intimidate teams are alright. The usual suspects for this, sadly enough, don't have access to the good AoE attacks beyond the suicidal Earthquake. I suppose you could just drop Arcanine and run Staraptor and Gyara, but then you have to deal with Metagross' Clear Body. Tauros, however, makes an excellent Intimidating 'mon with access to a very fast Tail Whip (total of -6 defense) and Rock Slide. Tail Whip followed by Star's CC, Gyara's Waterfall, and Arcanine is exceedingly boss.

Speaking of such things as Tail Whip, how have you guys fared with them? AoE Defense drops are essentially a free +1 Attack to to the rest of your team, and the faster the user the more of your mons can take advantage of it. Likewise, offensive debuffs should see use, although they really pale compared to stacked Intimidate.

Anyway, time to try Lava Plume spam.

Ok I have a new idea...

Scarfed Perish Song user (1 pokemon)
Three pokemon knowing Wide Guard (3 pokemon)
And some Soundproof ability pokemon (2 pokemon)

If your Perish Songer survives long enough to use its attack, then you just use Wide Guard to stall for three turns until you win

Besides, wide guard doesn't protect against single targeting attacks.

Regardless, I've been meaning to try out the madness of 6v6 mon. I come suggesting something completely unlikely, Hail. Stallrein + snowcloak abusers + 100% blizzard is an underrated opportunity. It might not be as strong as rain or sun per say, but it'll over ride the other two thanks to snow's slowness. There are plenty of fast pokemon that can abuse blizzard and the hail will likely weaken pokemon along the way.

I will build a team to playtest this strategy. Tally ho!

I recall battling LegalizeIt in the early days of this meta with no Ubers, and as far as I could tell, I was the 16th consecutive victim of his strategy before he got banned. Still, props to him for breaking the meta so soon.

From what I could tell, his first turn consisted of a combination of Protect, Icy Wind and Tailwind to slow me down and speed himself up, then the second turn was when he unloaded his master stroke: Gengar went and used Eruption after Protecting last turn, and me without a Flash Fire meant my entire team went down. I have the log in case anyone wants it.

Myself, I was trying to go for a Gravity + Earthquake combination at the time, and while it doesn't work vs. Flying-types, I still had a Blizzard user to take care of that. ;)

I recall battling LegalizeIt in the early days of this meta with no Ubers, and as far as I could tell, I was the 16th consecutive victim of his strategy before he got banned. Still, props to him for breaking the meta so soon.

From what I could tell, his first turn consisted of a combination of Protect, Icy Wind and Tailwind to slow me down and speed himself up, then the second turn was when he unloaded his master stroke: Gengar went and used Eruption after Protecting last turn, and me without a Flash Fire meant my entire team went down. I have the log in case anyone wants it.

Myself, I was trying to go for a Gravity + Earthquake combination at the time, and while it doesn't work vs. Flying-types, I still had a Blizzard user to take care of that. ;)

*sigh* now I don't feel so original.
But yeah, icy wind and tailwind when you're not sure of a 1st turn killer, Scarf Typhlosion's Eruption (gengar's eruption???? how in the) and blizzard on froslass for main offense, and priority moves as back up for second turn. Half my team usually protects.

EDIT: I have 3 logs, two that ended first turn, last took 2 turns, none of the teams I faced were designed for 6v6, so I still need a real opponent. Rules are standard battle...realize now that hail has been tried twice...XD

I don't know if it still works like this, but No Guard affected the entire field for a long time which meant you could abuse things like perfect accuracy Blizzard, Muddy Water, and Zap Cannon. Based on No Guard's description it seems like it should only affect Machamp and things that target Machamp, so it might be a glitch.

In the first couple days I came up with

Crobat @ Choice Scarf; Tailwind
Typhlosion @ Life Orb; Protect, Eruption
Vaporeon; Protect, Muddy Water, Blizzard, Helping Hand
Machamp; Protect, Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Earthquake
Electrode @ Choice Scarf; Thunder, Light Screen, Explosion

and it's lost very few games (if any legitimately)...

Crobat has Inner Focus, outspeeds pretty much anything and sets up Tailwind. The only things that can really stop it are strong Bullet Punches/Ice Shards.

Scarf Electrode outspeeds notable base 130s like Crobat and Aerodactyl which set up Tailwind, so it can pick them off with Thunder before they get a chance to do anything. Sometimes I also boost it with Helping Hand if I want to pick off something bulkier/neutral to Electric.

If No Guard is a bug/was fixed, it might need a little reworking, but it would probably still be a pretty solid strategy.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
How is everyone finding 6v6 battles? Challenging random people? I'd like to get into it (I'm thinking of a rain dance team) but there seems no easy way of finding people to battle.

I actually used a very gimmicky Intimidate team with Gyarados, Staraptor, Arcanine, Hitmontop, Blissey, and Togekiss. -4 Attack the second the match began with Gyara, Hitmontop, Blissey, and Kiss all having above average Special Defense was a rather interesting combination.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
How is everyone finding 6v6 battles? Challenging random people? I'd like to get into it (I'm thinking of a rain dance team) but there seems no easy way of finding people to battle.
Wondering about this too. Do you use PL or is there a ladder on Shoddy?

Is there any possibility of making 6v6 use mechanics similar to 5th Gen Triples, in that, a Pokemon can only hit its allies adjacent to it and the three Pokemon directly across from it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)