1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 1, 2009.

1. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Yes, it was all a big joke.

If you haven't seen it by now, please read this post by Noah, the vigilant flood-protection moderator on the Smogon Shoddy Battle server. That post is the punchline of a huge April Fools prank to make an Anti-Hax Clause and implement it on the shoddy server.

When I say big joke -- I should emphasize the word "BIG". This prank was a huge undertaking, and involved a lot of planning and work by many individuals. We actually approached it like a performance. Since I was the writer and director of the whole thing, I'm making this thread to give everyone a "behind the scenes" look at the production, and to give the many members of our wonderful cast a chance to come out and take a bow.

The whole idea for this prank actually started over a year ago, when discussing April Fools on IRC.

Last month, the idea was brought up again, and a lot of badgeholders really liked the idea. But, we realized there was no easy way to spring something like this on the community at the last minute. If it was going to be convincing, it needed a lot of advance planning and setup by a wide range of people in the community. Since it was my idea, and I like planning big projects -- I wrote a "script" and decided to make this into a community performance.

Here's the initial script that started it all.

As the performance unfolded, we made many changes to the script and timeline. But, all in all, the whole thing unfolded fairly close to the original plan. As you can see, there was a defined cast for the whole thing. Here's a list of the participating cast members (I'll let you try to figure out what roles they were playing):
    Ancien Régime
    Articanus
    Articuno64
    august
    Blue Kirby
    Caelum
    Calciphoce
    darkie
    DM

Elevator Music
    Imran
    JabbaTheGriffin
    Jibaku
    Jimbo
    Jumpman16
    Kevin Garrett
    Lee
    Lorak
    maddog
    MS
    Obi
    QibingZero
    RBG
    reachzero
    SoT
    Tangerine
    TAY
    tennisace
    Twash
    Twist of Fate
    X-Act
    zerowing

We had one non-badged member of the cast -- XxBlueCookiesxX. If you read the script, you will see it was planned all along. But, the role was not cast until late in the production, when BlueCookies was accidently given access to a private discussion about the prank. We decided to use the mistake to our advantage, and BlueCookies did a great job in the role!

I'd also like to recognize two users that were not part of the cast, but deserve special mention.
    Lemmiwinks MkII
    Blame Game
    These two users participated heavily in the PR thread, and had no idea this was a prank. I commend both users for their polite and respectful handling of the situation -- even in the face of all the absurd arguments and discussion happening around them. Internally, we were making bets as to when these two would "crack" and go off on a flame spree. But they maintained their composure throughout, which was remarkable.

Although this whole thing was a joke, I prefer to think of it as a sort of "morality play". We intentionally painted a gross caricature of the Smogon decision-making process, and tried to poke fun at ourselves in the process. While we take competitive pokemon seriously, I hope this joke shows that we try not to take it TOO seriously. Every cast member was intentionally trying to play on their reputation and history within Smogon. I'll let the public judge the quality of their performance.

I also think that through all the chaos and arguments that came out of this joke -- we have actually gotten an interesting look at how the community views the importance of luck in the metagame. I was fascinated by many of the points made in the various discussions around this, even some of the "fake posts" made by cast members. I'm not sure of all the lessons learned here, but it's certainly food for thought. For all those that despise hax and wish it could be eliminated, I think the moral of the story is -- "Be careful what you wish for."

To all members of the cast and community, feel free to post commentary on the joke in this thread. If anyone out there really got their feelings hurt, or was legitimately pissed off by the whole thing -- please don't spew invective here. Take a minute, relax, and look at everything that happened -- and I think you'll start laughing with the rest of us!
  2. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

3. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This was an amazing prank, well done to everyone involved. I should've got more involved lol
  4. Aldaron

Aldaron All da lil birdies chirpin
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

Wasn't as involved with this as I would have liked, but I complained / whined a bit in #biuret to make up for it!

Anyway, great prank, and it was awesome reading all the responses to this on other forums.

To everyone who was actively involved: good job!
  5. Panthera

Panthera

Well played. A few things gave it away enough that I sort of expected it to be a joke, but at the same time it was handled well enough that it being real wouldn't have been surprising. All in all, quite amusing.
  6. Bosgoed

Bosgoed

Well, this was easily the best pokemon related April Fools joke ever. Hats off to everyone involved.
  7. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

beep beep

this was so fun.

edit

oh forgot, fuck darkie and his hax!
  8. Lorak

Lorak *leekspin*
    is an Artist Alumnus

To be honest, I never really considered myself a "celebrity", but DougJustDoug said that quite a few people in Wi-Fi and other places look up to me because of my stance in breeding, etc. as well as the art I do. It's been a fun joke, to be sure. To all of those who supported my stance against the clause, IMs or IRC, it's appreciated.
  9. iKitsune

iKitsune

I wish it was real now. Well done to all.
    I can now go and laugh.

Edit: This should definitely go in the Greatest Hits.
  10. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I didn't actively argue my point in Policy Review but that's because I haven't really posted in Policy Review since the Order of Operations thread so I didn't want to go too crazy lol. It was fun as hell arguing with jrrrrr on AIM and a few people in biuret at one point I even started believing in some of my arguments which was pretty sad lol.

Oh and so much fun today going "what the fuck why was my win overturned"
  11. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This was fun, and huge props to Doug who did 90% of the work!

M_Dragon: Analyzing battle data for luck factors...
    M_Dragon: ???????
    M_Dragon: Analyzing battle data for luck factors... Paradise wins!
    M_Dragon: i have 6-0ed him
    M_Dragon: WHAT THE FUCK

This alone made it worthwhile..

I should've been more involved but got caught up with other stuff.

Well done on everyone involved, this was excellent.
  12. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

Oh boy, i look like a retard now for agreeing about this so much.

Anyways, nice joke.

Ummm, so all the battles we lost in the ladder to the 50% coin toss will be like that? I mean, lots of people lost a lot of points (just asking) =/
  13. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

This was a lot of fun. I liked seeing everyone's reactions and the discussions in the main chat. :)
  14. Chozo

Chozo

[​IMG]

Well played, gentlemen. Well played.
  15. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

So even XxBlueCookiesxX was reciting?That's incredible... Congratulations!!!
  16. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Oh great
    I have lost 12 points because that
  17. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

smogon <3
  18. StarmanXL

StarmanXL

Wow, I have to admit that was gold.

Kinda makes me wish I still played Standard so I coulda said something about it.
  19. Tleilax

Tleilax

Fucking BRILLIANT. Now I'm glad I hadn't finished the enormous anti-feature rant I was typing out.

Kudos to you guys, you sadistic bastards.
  20. Griffin

Griffin

Hahahahaha, good stuff good stuff.

I was almost going to post in that discussion thread, had I had any interesting experience with the "Hax Clause".

Props to the ones involved.
  21. Aldaron

Aldaron All da lil birdies chirpin
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

The ratings will not be reset.

Sucks to be you guys!
  22. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Today I ran around on the standard ladder occasionally with an Explosion-based team to turn battles to 1-0 or 2-0 (since that was the original idea - to make it only coinflip in those close battles, but apparently the mechanic just went all-out here)...I did enjoy everything related to it, though I did not post in the PR thread at all on purpose.
  23. QibingZero

QibingZero

..and here we have Doug solidifying his command of next year's Smogon Awards too! This was great fun, and I was glad to be a part of it. I didn't post as much as I'd have liked to, but I did my best to argue it on IRC and shoddy as often as possible. All credit goes to the mastermind himself, though!

I'm glad this stayed as secret as it did. A large amount of people were in on it, and for everyone to keep 'in character' for a month was quite a challenge.
  24. Veedrock

Veedrock

The time frame made this work a little too well.

Good job to the cast. It really doesn't get much better than this.

Oh damn, all those older members saying they were coming back was part of the play? Doh.
  25. PurpleWeezing

PurpleWeezing

Awesome. Simply awesome. Well played =)
    PS: I haven't lost a single game due to the clause xD

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)