1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The CAP Kitchen: Non-Competitive Discussion Goes Here

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by bugmaniacbob, Sep 2, 2012.

1. srk1214

srk1214 That ain't Hoopa!
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

This happened way back in 2008 and you can find threads from it here
    darkie likes this.
  2. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

Would this be a good place to discuss an anime about the CAP's with official Pokemon mixed in? I wanted to ask just in case anyone would be interested.
  3. Mos-Quitoxe

Mos-Quitoxe
    is an Artist

Mr. Magical Manticore, while I don't believe that there are any specific rules against such a discussion in this thread, I believe that you would be very hard-pressed to find anyone to progress the idea with. We tend to focus on the videogame aspects of the franchise here.
  4. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

If that's the case, then would a discussion about a CAP game similar to Colosseum and XD be okay? You know, no Gym Leaders or actual Pokemon League, except for Smogon University itself? Which CAP's would the player start off with then?

But where would Smogon University be located, and where would they keep the "CAP's?" Wouldn't the program in that universe be called "Rent-A-Pokemon" or something?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. Fuzzie

Fuzzie

When you say similar to Colosseum and XD, I automatically think Shadow Pokemon. It 'could' work with Shadows, giving access to some of the more popular egg moves such as Necturna's Sketch, and it would explain how you get the CAP's, as opposed to the other 700+ real Pokemon.
    And in any case, the starter would obviously be Syclant, or if you had a choice, Syclant, Revenankh and Pyroak. The original CAPs.
  6. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

I was thinking that if it's more like Colosseum, you could get all three of the original CAPs at the same time. What kind of plot would there be if there were Shadow CAPs?

Also, I've always thought of the CAPs as some sort of rare Pokémon that are occasionally seen in Sinnoh, Unova, and possibly Johto, but could be common in some uncharted region. That's why people believe that they are Fakemon, which explains the lack of recognition by the Pokédex. Smogon University seems to be the only place outside of that region to give a domestic home to these particular Pokémon.
  7. ferraferra

ferraferra

I would like to see all pre-CAPs completed and added to showdown one day. I was actually really dissapointed when I found out they weren't. Especially brattle. He and malaconda are the best cap creations.
  8. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

They will likely never be implemented unless a huge change of heart is taken by both the PRC and the CaP Leadership team.
  9. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

I've looked over some of the arguments made at the time for an evo mon, and they are solid reasons. I can't claim to be a huge CAP member but I've always been peeking in. However with the introduction of the Mega Stones I do think there is a viable way to keep such a project competitive in nature as per the ideals of CAP. Lets review everything that can be changed in a Mega Evo

-Total BST +100, some can be lowered in turn
    -Height change, weight change
    -Adding a secondary type
    -Change a secondary type
    -Ability can change

Suddenly the fanboyism of upgrading a mon can be put in check, you can only raise stats so high, and the most difficult change is that there can only be one Mega ability. As some players have discovered as well, sometimes the mega form just isn't as useful because they lack those leftovers/choice items they loved so much. So a CAP-mega could go into two routes, one where the normal and mega are both useful (Ttar/Scizor), or one where the mega is meant to bring the mon to OU (Absol/Kanga).

It might be an interesting experiment and I'd be interested to see how a mon that already exists could be upgraded by us.
  10. srk1214

I can confidently say that the topic of Mega Evolution will be discussed in the upcoming PRC session. Feel free to apply for it if you'd like to put in your 2¢.
  11. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

Creating a mega evo for an existing mon feels pretty wrong to me, even moreso than a regular evo would. Ultimately inventing a regular evo is still creating a new Pokémon, just one constrained by having to seem similar to an existing one. Creating a mega evo is actually changing how an existing Pokémon works since you don't know it has a mega stone when you see it in team preview, which seems outside the spirit of CAP.

Creating a CAP alongside its mega evo could be interesting, though. The response was pretty lukewarm last time the idea came up in #cap as I recall but I kinda like it, even if it does violate the in-game precedent that there are no gen 6 mons with mega evos. In-battle forme changes are something that keeps being proposed for CAP that we've still never done, mostly because all previous ones involved a Pokémon-specific move or ability which we don't do, but now there are a whole bunch of Pokémon that transform in the same way.

Whether either of these are even allowed is a PRC issue, of course, and honestly smart money probably goes towards neither of them being allowed, especially for CAP 1.
    DetroitLolcat likes this.
  12. Yarnus of Bethany

Yarnus of Bethany

I wonder if if a pokemon seems to be similar to another one, you could submit art specifically to make it look like the evo of something.
  13. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] mysterious birds
    Shiruba, Hollymon, Seed and 3 others like this.
  14. Luigifan

Luigifan

Hmm, I wonder how many of them have potential with Eviolite.
  15. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

I currently know one who might have any potential with Eviolite, and that would be Scratchet (Tomohawk's pre-evo) with Scrappy, in the non-existent CAP RU or NU.
  16. Luigifan

Luigifan

Ooh, CAP RU. Sounds intriguing.
  17. srk1214

We made this flashcap about 2 weeks ago but never got around to posting it here.

Now it's here.
    more-or-less full log

Concept by Birkal: Sticky Web sweeper

Art by Birkal
    [​IMG]
    Sprite by Quanyails
    [​IMG]

Name by srk1214: Ampeater
    Height: 3'7" ft.
    Weight: 83.8 lbs.
    Typing: Electric/Dark
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Hidden Ability: Sand Force

Pokedex Entries by darkie:

X: Sticky traps surround Ampeater burrows. Some say this is to keep out potential intruders.
    Y: Ampeater prefer to keep to themselves, but will attack unwanted guests with a vengeance if disturbed.

stats (open)
    Stats (darkie/bugmaniacbob/srk1214/imanalt):
    85 HP / 48 Atk / 115 Def / 115 SpA / 85 SpD / 92 Spe (540 BST)

PT: 176.119007872448 (Excellent)
    ST: 132.399176450013 (Good)
    PS: 74.3481040440645 (Poor)
    SS: 171.096522033466 (Very Good)
    BSR: 299.715612452364 (Good)
    moves (open)
    Moves (darkie/bugmaniacbob/srk1214/numbuh214/jas61292): (61 total, 27 VGMs)

TMs and HMs: (42 total, 24 VGMs)
    *Hone Claws
    *Roar
    *Toxic
    *Hidden Power
    Hyper Beam
    *Light Screen
    *Protect
    *Frustration
    *Thunderbolt
    *Thunder
    Return (repeat *)
    Dig
    *Shadow Ball
    Double Team
    *Flamethrower
    *Aerial Ace
    Torment
    *Facade
    *Rest
    Attract
    Thief
    Round
    Fling
    *Charge Beam
    Incinerate
    Embargo
    *Payback
    Giga Impact
    Flash
    *Volt Switch
    *Thunder Wave
    *Poison Jab
    *Grass Knot
    Swagger
    *Sleep Talk
    *Substitute
    *Flash Cannon
    Rock Smash
    Snarl
    *Dark Pulse
    Confide
    Strength

Level-up Moves: (14 Total (new), 3 VGMs (new))
    *Start - Sticky Web
    Start - Thunder Shock
    Start - Poison Sting
    5 - Scratch
    7 - Sand Attack
    10 - Lick
    14 - Bite
    18 - Fury Swipes
    22 - Charge
    *26 - Discharge
    32 - Hone Claws
    39 - Electroweb
    *47 - Night Slash
    56 - Thunder (repeat *)
    64 - Electric Terrain

Egg (Field/Monster): (5 total, 0 VGMs)
    - Defense Curl
    - Eerie Impulse
    - Magnet Rise
    - Mud Shot
    - Magnetic Flux

Additionally, a prevo was decided upon with a name I submitted, Snoutlet. Feel free to draw us some beautiful baby electric pangolins :)
    topher4167, Hollymon, Shiruba and 2 others like this.
  18. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

Ampeater's sprite looks very nice. His stats remind me of Cyclohm in a way, probably because of the high Defense and Special Attack, but with higher Speed and Special Defense.

I would draw my version of Snoutlet, but I am afraid of making it look practically identical.

Oh, and happy belated 6th birthday to the CAP Project!
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  19. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

A small gift to Kadew and her design. :)

[​IMG] -->[​IMG]
    S0L1D G0LD, Kadew and Luigifan like this.
  20. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

Quanyails your sprite of Kadew's design looks very cute. I'd like to see your interpretation of Ampeater's pre-evo, Snoutlet.

Would it be okay to discuss what the 20th CAP will be like, even though we haven't even started Kalos CAP 1 yet? Even though it will most likely end up like any other CAP, I'd like to see a CAP Uber eventually.
  21. Luigifan

Luigifan

I actually have an idea for that - an ultimate disruptor 'mon that can allow you to literally take control of an opponent's 'mon. To keep things reasonably fair, the hijacking move would have relatively low accuracy (equal to Hypnosis), but the 'mon would also have a bunch of other disruptive moves. I don't want to go into too much detail here (if only because it would create a massive wall of text), so you can see my idea here. (And, yes, this is a concept I've wanted to submit to the CAP project ever since the days of Diamond and Pearl.)
  22. Tomohawku

Tomohawku

[​IMG]

obligatory top tier CAP, of course.

anyone have favorite CAP ideas? a personal favorite of mine is fast, frail, electric/fire wolf with speed boost.

protean defender iguana would be neat too, like a physically defensive malaconda.
    Luigifan likes this.
  23. Luigifan

Luigifan

Oh God, asking me to pick my favorite out of all the Pokémon ideas I've designed is pretty tricky. However, I must admit to having soft spots for Voltran, Frostran, Magihexy, Lediva, Arachion, Mistikal, Insego, Anthanine, Sowunamut, and Dolhran, among others (like the 'mon I'm currently working on, Lepidence).
  24. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

Protean and Speed Boost seem to be on the Ability Banlist if I recall correctly. Canine Fakemon tend to be overused in the flavor department.

My favorite idea was this Water/Fairy Pokemon which resembles a Selkie, and its stats reflect a physical Jellicent with a bit higher HP. It has better Special Attack to utilize Scald, and its Abilities are Natural Cure, Hydration, and Damp.

Even though I've asked about a CAP anime before, would a single 20-30 minute long CAP movie work better than a full anime? I could tell a story about the historical playtests in an animated form, or even write an entirely new story. The problem is that I don't know how to animate to save my life!
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  25. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

It's been almost 3 years since Scratchet was created.....

[​IMG]
    Xlstevo, Magistrum, nyttyn and 4 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)