The Cricket Thread

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Fantasy Cricket - The Smogon Version

I'll keep this post short and sweet because there's really no other way to do this.

Basically, Hip had this brilliant idea to have our own fantasy cricket league for the IPL this year.

If you don't know, the IPL starts in roughly 15 days time so its the perfect time to get this show on the road.

We'll be playing this over at www.cricinfo.com.

Register on the website and then click this link.

Here, create your very own fantasy cricket team! I'd suggest you read up on the scoring system, its rather interesting and might change your opinion on who to pick!

After that, just drop me a PM with the email you used to register on cricinfo with. I'll send you an invite to the Smogon Cricket League!

In any case, we'll probably limit this to something like 16 teams but if there's only a couple more we'll go with that.

Here's a list of people playing:
  1. Shiv
  2. HIpmonlee
  3. Kumar
  4. McGraw
  5. Salami-Nator
Hope to see you guys on there soon!

The overseas player list is fucked. I suggest you guys wait till this is fixed before you make a team.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
So New Zealand pulled off a draw thanks to the weather (and the impressive Ross Taylor)... but India should have won the test match easily. Dhoni lacked the ruthlessness to go for the win, and that is not the sign of a good captain. He should have factored in the possibility of a wash out and declared much earlier. The Indians could have thrown caution to the wind for a few overs after Gambhir got out and still set 550. Instead, Dhoni delayed until he reached his half century... a selfish and meaningless innings. I cannot see any Australian captain setting a target of 617, not even Ricky Ponting, and certainly not his predecessors. Moreover, It is not good for the game.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is it too late? I wish to join this crap. I'm sure that the English players are going to dominate.
Maybe so, but they are bloody expensive. It is virtually impossible to fit a decent team around Pietersen... he alone costs $125k. At $115k, Flintoff is not cheap either.

The IPL does not start until April 18th, so you have plenty of time to sign up for the Smogon league.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I was dissapointed with Dhoni's approach to that test.. Does anyone have any idea how test rankings are calculated though? It obviously is based off individual test results but maybe if series results are counted and rated particularly heavily it would be more understandable..

Have a nice day.

Yeah I agree with most others on the Dhoni part and I too want to know how they calculate the rankings because even after winning the series India infact lost 1 rating point ._.

And had they won it 3-0 they would have still only gained 1 point which is really messed up. I think this is mainly because NZ are ranked 8th so beating them doesn't count for much in terms of rankings. I think if you beat a higher ranked opposition the more points you gain and if you lose to a lower ranked opposition then you lose quite a few points.

Also I got a question about the Fantasy Cricket thing. I made my team but since you get points if your player performs well what happens if you pick a player that leaves in the middle of the tournament? Doesn't that mean you won't be getting as much points since one of your player is missing? Or did I miss something?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I assume you'd have to swap him for another player. You have 30 trades once the tournament has started.

Have a nice day.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
No, its not too late.

Also, quite a few people confirmed here but didn't pm me, can you guys get done with that already?

Also, for anyone who PM'ed me but didn't get an email, just send me a PM so I know!

I'm not able to join the league. I know that I've been troubling shiv for a while with this and he has also sent me three invitations in two different e-mail IDs but I was unable to get in. I am posting here to know how the others got into the league.

Shiv

mostly harmless
From what I saw everyone made a team, picked it and pasted that code.

It should work :(

I sent a mail to cricinfo regarding this anyway.

In

oh and i managed to have both Pietersen and Flintoff in my pretty decent team but 4 overseas players only fucked it up for me. Pietersen out and Sehwag in. Yeah!!

Double posting for bump and a question.

Why has no one got Flintoff in their team? Is he leaving during the IPL or something. I'd like to know as he's my trump player.

i just based my team according the scoring. Despite not liking Flintoff, I can't deny that he can take wickets and hit sixes, which (especially the latter) are a bonus. Personally, I find Yuvraj Singh overpriced, considering he did fuck all last season, IIRC.

Um yeah the price of Flintoff makes it so he can't have a place in my team. Besides I find ablie morkel alot better in T20 and he performs the same role.

Yuvraj needs to use himself properly. Coming in at #4 is not good in a T20 match especially for Yuvi.

you know who I find more over priced KP. I haven't seen him do anything major in T20 to deserve that kinda money.

Anyway GL guys it starts tommorow :)

I don't find KP to be overpriced at all. I have him in my team and is also my trump player. I'm supporting RCB mainly because of Kevin Pietersen though I'm a Chennai dweller(right now I'm stuck at Slovenia is a different issue). I find Yuvi to overpriced because he is a highly form dependant player. If he is in form, he can smash the bowlers and if he is off form, he doesn't provide any support to the team other than fielding. Fortunately, he wasn't in form in the previous IPL(I hate KXIP). I hope that he is not in form in the current IPL as well. My next priority is Chennai and Flintoff is excellent though he was quite expensive today. My IPL fantasy has been going well and I'm happy that Nayar scored because he is in my team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)