Votes: 32 20.8%
  • Within the next week

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Within the next month

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Eventually

Votes: 82 53.2%

• Total voters
Just got this today, having a lot of fun with it.
Apparently computer gamers are pissed but I couldn't care less because I personally think games like Skyrim should be as far away from computers as possible.
quicksaving, tons of mods, better graphics/resolution, and faster load times are bad things now? You can even use a PS3/360 controller if you don't like mouse/kb (which is what I'm doing, actually).

I'm loving it so far, half way through the Eye of Magnus quest in the mages thing. Really solid quest, getting a little difficult now, though. I'm having to just conjure shit, run away, regain magika, conjure shit...

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
already encountered a few glitches -- one of them preventing me from advancing the Companion Guild quest after Blood Honor. i'm pretty sure the quest line is broken for me now. silly Bethesda.
yeah i was pissed as fuck when i ran into a glitch preventing me from doing the companion guild quest line too. i hear a lot of people are having trouble at random spots in the quest line. (for me i think it's just a weird glitch + bad luck. i'm supposed to intimidate maurice jondrelle but he doesn't exist in my game. arrow pointing to where he should be standing but he's just not there).

i'm hoping i don't run into similar glitches in the quest lines i really want to do like dark brotherhood/thieves.

at first i really wanted to dual wield swords, but after realizing the usefulness of magic/sword dual wielding i'm definitely never switching (and this is only with shitty spells right now).

the only thing i hate right now about this game is that they released it right as i need to start studying for finals :/

SkyNet

MediEvil!
I'm loving it so far, half way through the Eye of Magnus quest in the mages thing. Really solid quest, getting a little difficult now, though. I'm having to just conjure shit, run away, regain magika, conjure shit...
Haha, I loved that side quest branch, keep at it as the end reward is very nice!

Lots of people in my class talk a lot about it, and looking at some gameplay and reviews I'm considering getting it. I can pick it up for €45 (most new games are €60+), is it worth it for that price?

i havent played skyrim yet, but ive been keeping up with people's general reviews and so far all i know about it is th
is

Since I know a couple people have mentioned it recently I think the whole mage's college thing was really mistuned. Great sense of accomplishment at the end, but my Destruction spells did basically zero damage to nearly every enemy from midway through Mzulf on and many of them could easily kill me in two hits. Not sure if it was just a mistake to rush there without progressing the main plot much or what my conjured friends did significantly more damage than I did throughout the quest chain and I even ended up needing to resort to melee attacks for a couple boss types because it inexplicably did more damage with less risk than casting magic as a mage. Things got slightly less risky (but even more tedious) once I picked up the horrifically overpowered Equilibrium but ugh, I feel like I have the defenses of a glass cannon but none of the offense that should come with it.

Still enjoying the game and the Mage content in Skyrim was much more fun than in Oblivion but I just don't HURT anything.

It seems like everyone with the game is saying that magic is horribly underpowered later in the game. So is this true, then?

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah FUCK amazing mods, better graphics, and higher FPS. Who in the hell needs that!!

I'm only about two levels in, I have a nasty habit of playing games /really/ slowly unless I'm super into them. Skyrim has the potential but it does require a bit of effort before the game really gets going I feel

My game, which was supposed to be shipped express Friday last week (Monday at the latest), has apparently been delayed in customs, which means it's most likely to arrive this Friday.

So angry, yet so eager

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes magic so much weaker later in the game? Is it elemental resistances? Perhaps being a mage requires chaining through spells, or dual casting? Is it that the spells themselves are weak? It saddens me to hear that this is the case, so if anyone has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Finishing animations against dragons are so well made.

Also, going one handed, while having a good shield saved my hide plenty of times. Against mages or necromancers though, I usually equip destruction magic on one hand, and a weapon on the other.

I haven't been playing as long as some people here have, but I must say, this game is truly immersive, and addicting as hell. The gameplay is very polished, and I can always find tiny details that shows that the developers put lots of care into it.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
It seems like everyone with the game is saying that magic is horribly underpowered later in the game. So is this true, then?
I had the same problem as Synre did, my spells did hardly anything to anyone late through the mage line of quests....but when you unlock the higher level spells (Adept onward) your damage output is pretty good! So I wouldn't say its 'underpowered'

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Skyrim is the best game I have ever played in Autumn, second is Arkham City, I am having so much fun right now. Plus,has anyone ever found the "Notched Pickaxe" on top of "Throat of the World?"

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
in my attempt to fix my glitched Companion Guild quests with the console, i think i fucked up Whiterun pretty hard -- Belethor won't open his shop and i've seen TWO Adriannes manning her blacksmith (which neither of them enter...and is always locked). it's kinda funny. but what is a Bethesda game without glitches?

anyways, the power gamer in me has compelled myself to level smithing and enchanting to 100 already. running around at level 32 with all Daedric equipment (great stats...horrible aesthetic appeal). kinda regret it but sooooooooooooo powerful. after 37 hours, i still have only done so far as kill the first dragon in the main quest...perhaps i should continue. there is just a ton of stuff to do and it doesn't feel stale, like in Oblivion.

I had the same problem as Synre did, my spells did hardly anything to anyone late through the mage line of quests....but when you unlock the higher level spells (Adept onward) your damage output is pretty good! So I wouldn't say its 'underpowered'
my thoughts so far is that with smithing+enchanting, Destruction magic is kinda useless compared to melee. my Daedric sword currently has a displayed power of 156 (only 57 1H skill) and that is certainly not the highest it can go (not even close. but to get THAT high, you need all level 100 smithing, enchanting and alchemy...too much work). the perks required to use the high level spells at reasonable magicka costs(and you do need them...otherwise you only gettin 1 or 2 casts off before you run out of) are better off spent on the damage modifiers for weapons. i got lucky and found a +x% 1-handed damage necklace in a dungeon; using that to enchant armor is ridiculous (i get as high as +41%...i've seen some people get as high as +72%!). with good armor, now giants no longer launch me into the stratosphere on a single hit (takes 2 now haha).

still, it's overall more useful than in Oblivion and a mage is certainly viable option (i killed most grunts earlier in the game with 2~ costs of apprentice magicka)...but it's still badly outclassed by physical weapons, if only because of broken smithing and enchanting mechanics.

So is it the most effective to simply be a melee character? My style is to go half-and-half...blast with a fireball then pound with some nice axe. I don't have the game yet so I haven't made any decisions but I always like to plan a little bit.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
magic is certainly usable, it's just not as good as melee.

i played the first ~20 hours of this game as a pure mage...then found out how powerlevel smithing and enchanting.

To Outlaw, Genny, Fishin: I just don't like computer gaming, the mods that some claim improve the game ruin what the producers intended for it in my opinion, the easy access to cheats also "dumb it down", keyboard controls piss me off to no end, and I think that it also promotes pirating. I'm not against all pirating, but in this case I definitely think Bethesda deserves the money.

To Alan: Hiking exists in Skyrim, and not only does it exist, but it's much more significant than it was in Oblivion. Note - Hiking is my term for repeatedly jumping or running and looking for "soft spots" on steep hills or mountains

Also, I forgot to mention my glitch. When I first joined the Companions my quest marker said to "speak with (some member of the Companions)" to finish the quest. I did so and the quest was marked as completed but that objective was still marked as incomplete. So the arrow on my compas remained even while I did the next Companions quest. When I saved and quit it fixed itself

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you clearly haven't seen some of the beautiful graphical improvements that have been made due to mods in Oblivion

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I find the talks of Magic being weak quite ironic. In Oblivion, far to the contrary, Magic was pretty OP, especially if you picked Breton as your race with their 50% Spell Absorption perk. Additionally unlike in Skyrim, you could make spells in Oblivion as well as greatly increase your total Magicka with Sigil Stone enchanting. That said, I found mages to be among the more difficult enemies I have faced in Skyrim. I am currently rolling a pure melee Nord with a full set of Daedric Armor and a Lightning Daedric Sword. At my current level, I have no problem taking hits from Giants, but I die much more quickly when fighting against 3 Sith Lords spamming Lightning at me.

Regardless of whether you are playing on the PC or a console, I believe the most fun way to play Skyrim is to take the role playing aspect very seriously, instead of being the most powerful god character. Many exploits like the one mentioned by matt are common in this game, but they will only ruin your experience if you choose to use them. I may have a high smithing skill, but that decision was purely cosmetic, as I personally liked the intimidating look of Daedric Armor. For me, as a pure melee character, I play the role of a dragonslayer. I generally do not commit evil acts unless I absolutely must, and I only use magic to enchant my weapons, so I don't plan on joining the Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, or College of Winterhold. Additionally, I didn't join either the Imperial Legion or the Stormcloaks since I am trying to be righteous and not pick a side in the war, not to mention the only thing that matters is my deep hatred for the Thalmor, whom I kill on site.

I know that might sound a bit contrived or even cliched, but it really is a more rewarding way to play. I am already planning on starting a second character very soon, as I still wish to play this way while exploring all of the other factions in this game.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To Outlaw, Genny, Fishin: I just don't like computer gaming, the mods that some claim improve the game ruin what the producers intended for it in my opinion, the easy access to cheats also "dumb it down", keyboard controls piss me off to no end, and I think that it also promotes pirating. I'm not against all pirating, but in this case I definitely think Bethesda deserves the money.
So essentially:

1) You believe mods that enhance graphics, and put forward new story lines and quests are terrible and "ruins" the essence of the game, which is total fucking bollocks. There are thousands of mods for games that were great as it was, that totally improved the gameplay further. Sure, there's some shitty mods that no one downloads, but there are always the gems that further enhance your enjoyment of the game. You would have to be completely irrational to even try to counter this.

Let's put it this way: the developers and the studio are not creative or graphical gods. There will always be someone else who will put the time and effort to enhance whatever the original creators have done.

2) You believe every person who buys it for PC will pirate it. An even more retarded opinion. Skyrim was the most highly played game on Steam when it first came out, especially with competition from MW3, and TF2/CS, which have always boasted high numbers.

You don't have to like PC gaming, but you really shouldn't spout random bullshit trying to justify why it is. If you dislike PC gaming, then just fucking say it, without trying to sound all uppity and intelligent, while making a fool of yourself.

I'm getting the game in a couple days and I wanted to know the best race that can duel wield magic in one hand and a sword in the other. I know every race can do it, but which one is the best. And what are the differences between enchanted weponds and normal weponds. Is one better than the other? I'm basically looking for the race that can utilize magic and swordsmanship the best. I'm thinking it's the Dark Elf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)