Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Within the next month

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Eventually

Votes: 82 53.2%

• Total voters

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, here is the perk plan.

Archery (10)
5 Overdraw
1 Eagle Eye
1 Critical Shot
2 Steady Hand
1 Power Shot
1 Quick Shot

One Handed (9)
5 Armsman
1 Fighting Stance
1 Bladesman
2 Dual Flurry
1 Dual Savagery

Restoration (4)
1 Novice
1 Regeneration
2 Recovery

Enchantment (8)
5 Enchanter
1 Insightful Enchanter
1 Corpus Enchanter
1 Extra Effect

Light Armor (8)
5 Agile Defender
1 Custom Fit
1 Unhindered
1 Matching Set

So thats level 40 do this. Idea is just a quick melee character who is self sufficient for healing and who can create own enchanted weapons.

Any thoughts on where I am not getting good bang for the buck or where I could get better results within these perk trees?

So, I'm thinking I'm going to pick this game up at everyone's suggestion.

I'm planning to run a spellsword initially, dual-wielding spell and one-handed weapon early, and then gradually shifting away from the spells and towards enchanted weapons as the game progresses. What race should I choose for such a plan?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I've been playing Spell Axe this game and while having an axe in one hand and fire in the other is cool, you really no gameplay incentive to do so. Melee will vastly overpower magic very quickly and really I rely more on Restoration now, but I wish I had invested in fewer trees.

So I've played for about 12 hours now, and I'm pretty well amazed. I had some troubles with lag early on, but after making some minor changes to the Skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini fies, and lowering the graphics, it now runs perfectly. I'm a dualcasting dark elf mage, because half the enemies I face seem to have an elemental weakness of some kind for me to capitalize on (vampires weak to fire, giants slowed to nothing by ice). And it's fun to go around electrocuting things. I also use bows whenever I'm too far away to use magic, which is fun. Headshots deal bonus damage, and combined with a sneak attack you can substantially lower an enemy's health before they even get close.

after playing as a pure mage Altmer for awhile, Destruction definitely seems kind of weak, even with two items that decrease the cost. Early on it would kill most enemies pretty easily but now it often takes all of my magica to kill one, so I have to use potions/run away/melee if there's more. Some Enchanting can probably turn that around though.

Also the game has been throwing tons of dragons at me, twice I fast traveled to a town only to have a dragon attack immediately. I have more souls than learnable shouts atm.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So does anyone not know what the fuck they're doing and putting perks in randomly in skills that sound good? I've been putting points into archery, blocking, one handed weapon, and destruction mainly.

I also feel that my weapons are underpowered and my armor is terrible. I'm level 14 and I have a hard enough time keeping up with bears and sabre tooth cats (although taking down dragons isn't too bad). Anyone know where to get some decent armor and one handed weapons?

Finally, I can't seem to find a good place to grind and level up.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to pick this game up at everyone's suggestion.

I'm planning to run a spellsword initially, dual-wielding spell and one-handed weapon early, and then gradually shifting away from the spells and towards enchanted weapons as the game progresses. What race should I choose for such a plan?
Dark Elf without a doubt

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Oh Lydia, my love.. I'm so sorry..

I didn't know.. I could hear you crying out for help, but I couldnt reach you. There were just too many. I couldnt move, and I didnt know where you were.

When there was the explosion at the college, I should have told you to wait behind.. How could I have known?

And in the end I couldnt even offer you a proper burial, the best I could manage was a pathetic attempt to drag you in the direction of the sea, only for your body to vanish into the snow. I am sorry.

All I can do for you now is kill that motherfucker Ancano, I only hope he survives long enough for me to make it back with the staff, so that I can enjoy the pleasure myself.

As a side note, jesus christ, the battle for that staff is fucking hard.. He was doing like 80% per hit.

Lucky for me potions are utterly broken.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Lucky for me potions are utterly broken.
Yeah, I was really hoping that they would institute a Dark Souls/Monster Hunter style healing system. It really breaks immersion when I can pause the battle and eat 20 cheese wedges to heal all of my health while a dragon just chills there waiting for me to finish my meal.

Yeah, Hip, that was kind of the fight that set me over the edge with the whole "what the fuck my magic does no damage I'm just going to melee as a mage here" thing. I would later discover it was because the guy with the staff was 37 levels higher than me...

Or at least, started out 37 levels higher than me. The fight was so long and tedious I leveled up three times because of all the restoration skillups, mostly. Had to save in combat to get through that one which feels like cheating to me.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I lost Lydia at the end of that story arc as well.

For me, it happened while actually fighting Ancano. Both Lydia and Tolfdir hit the deck when the Eye of Magnus reacted to the Staff of Magnus. When the fight was over, Tolfdir got back up again... but Lydia didn't. I don't know if Ancano was targeting her while she was down or something or if the Eye itself is to blame, but I definitely shouldn't have brought her in for that final battle.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I always restore if Lydia dies.

If anyone finds they have to run the game at the lowest setting, you could probably get by on higher settings just by turning anti-aliasing off. Anisotropic filtering is what makes the game actually look better without slowing things down.

Also, am I the only one who turns brightness all the way down and still thinks the game is too bright? By default midnight could pass for morning at best, and there is no reason to ever use light spells or torches. Even at the lowest settings things just glow way to damn much for it to be truly dark at night.

So what is everyone's favorite shouts so far? Mine is Marked for Death (lowers defense and life force), but I also enjoy Ice Form (freeze opponent) from time to time.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I love the slow time one. Has gotten me out of many a pretty pickle.

For the potions thing, wouldnt it be easy to make it so you can only drink one each time you pause.. I have been trying to follow that rule myself, but that battle was absurd..

Also lol 37 levels higher than you, that makes him 2 and a half times my level, if you fought him at level one.

My favorite shouts are Throw Voice (it's just so insulting) and Whirlwind Sprint (gotta go fast!!). I use Unrelenting Force and Elemental Fury more than those other two, but the former two are awesome in their own right. Also, Call Storm or whatever it's called is a god damn Nuke; don't use it with a companion or remotely near a settlement of friendly folk.

I'm currently a bard, and I'm getting loads of money with my high speechcraft and all the items that boost prices, such as the Masque of Clavicus Vile. The perk that allows you to sell any item anywhere is seriously good.

I've killed 5 Dragonpriests so far. Their masks are so good <3

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, here is the perk plan.

Archery (10)
5 Overdraw
1 Eagle Eye
1 Critical Shot
2 Steady Hand
1 Power Shot
1 Quick Shot

One Handed (9)
5 Armsman
1 Fighting Stance
1 Bladesman
2 Dual Flurry
1 Dual Savagery

Restoration (4)
1 Novice
1 Regeneration
2 Recovery

Enchantment (8)
5 Enchanter
1 Insightful Enchanter
1 Corpus Enchanter
1 Extra Effect

Light Armor (8)
5 Agile Defender
1 Custom Fit
1 Unhindered
1 Matching Set

So thats level 40 do this. Idea is just a quick melee character who is self sufficient for healing and who can create own enchanted weapons.

Any thoughts on where I am not getting good bang for the buck or where I could get better results within these perk trees?
if you're going with light armor, i would definitely level up smithing to 100. Dragon armor is ridiculously good.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
loving this game so far, miles better than Oblivion... although during the Diplomatic Immunity quest i tried to cheeseball it and go with no equipment... i wasnt able to and all my save files made me locked inside the castle! thank fuck for Werewolf form or i would have been trapped x_X

im about ~4 hours into this, level 7 (with some level up points built up, just gonna level up at a strategic time) nord with a few perks in one-handed, archery and sneak. i've always played as a thief/assassin type character because i find mashing left click to be pretty boring in fights and magic is hindered by having to look everywhere for spells

i know nord isn't the best race for this type of thing but i wanted to fit in with the locals :x

any tips on which perks to take

Who in the jesus is lydia?

And Yeah, that dungeon at the end was ridiculosly hard.I was level 19.Had two potions and am a battle mage(heavy armor,Double wielding fire spells and a melee weapon).Died a couple of times.I finally beat him using the flame cloak(8 damage on anyone in melee range for 60 secs) and a two handed sword I found on the way(8 fire damage.).I just ran up to it so my spell could be hurting it and bashed him with the sword.I leveled up as I was about to die.Best trick ever.

And to the poster above...hell no.the game is way too dark.I have it at the brighest and constantly have to cast candlelight so I can see inside places.I also always wait until 6am if I'm going to be waking around outside.hate the dark.

As a side note, jesus christ, the battle for that staff is fucking hard.. He was doing like 80% per hit.
Lol I beat him by running the hell away and spamming Flaming Familiar spells in random directions, since they are pretty much just homing Fireballs that prevent your opponent from attacking you.

I invested too much in Destruction lol. Conjuration is where it's at.

Just want to post how bloody amazing the orc's beserker rage is. Its just boss status. level 22 just smash everything with a warhammer. Shouts makes melee so much more fun because I can use magic. And summon dragon. Troll anything outside. THOUGH QUICK RAGE. I have had the same weapon since I was level 10 orcish warhammer. and too lazy to level smithing. its not a bad weapon and I 2hko anything, and have yet to lose a fight if I have beserk on. But I want teh new weapon.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Smithing at any given time gives you a much better set of equipment than anything you can find, then allows you to upgrade their values even further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)