The Everything NFL Thread - 2010 Season

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't follow college ball, so I have no idea who you should draft. One of the hot names may not even be the answer for the Bills. The next Tom Brady might be lurking around the lower rounds or so :). A project isn't a bad thing either because that's what the Bills NEED.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If you guys don't think you need a Quarterback then you're deluding yourselves.
I never said we don't need an upgrade, but we could do a LOT worse than Fitz. (See: Edwards, Trent, and Losman, J.P., and Holcomb, Kelly, and Van Pelt, Alex, and...)

That said, VY wouldn't be a smart option for Buffalo but the Bills definitely need to be looking for a Franchise QB. Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a career backup, don't be fooled by a couple high yardage games against shitty defenses mostly in garbage time.
This reeks of someone who didn't watch a Bills game all year. You only missed him having his way with the Steelers defense, being a dropped pass from winning the game and surpassing 300 yards, and also putting up 382 against the Ravens. Their pass D isn't what it used to be, but nobody looked as good against them this year as Fitz. We lost 7 or 8 games in a row by a touchdown or less and lost 3 in overtime, so don't talk that bullshit about garbage time.

That "train wreck" is 30-17 as the starter and went 8-2 after inheriting an 0-6 team.
I don't give a shit what an average NFL quarterback did with an amazing running game and defense to back him up; the Bills could have gone 8-8 this year if we could stop the run. When it comes down to it, VY cannot be considered an elite quarterback. He is "good" at best, none of his skills in college translate into the NFL. I'm not even going to bother going into his mental/off-the-field problems, suffice it to say he is the antithesis of a leader, a completely me-first player. We don't need a cancerous presence like that on this young, growing team.

Name one reason (aside from his W-L record) he is a clear upgrade over Fitz.

If you don't have a franchise quarterback (especially when you play in the AFC East), you are not winning shit in this league. Shitzpatrick is NOT a franchise quarterback. He's garbage.
I know it's not saying much, but he just had the best statistical year of any Bills QB since Bledsoe's first season here. That's garbage? His play this year has earned him the right to be considered the starter going into next season, when the offensive line begins another season healthy and he is no longer throwing to practice squadders brought up because of injury, we can decide just how "garbage" he really is.

It's this knee-jerk mentality of certain Buffalo sports fans that really pisses me off. A TEAM DOESN'T TURN INTO A COMPETITOR OVERNIGHT. Have some fucking patience. This is a new regime, exactly what this team needed after Jauron destroyed everything, so give it another year before jumping down Nix's/Gailey's throats.

Here's a thought: McNabb in Buffalo? He'd be a good choice to have a young QB learn under him.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

We need to stop bringing in other people table scraps. It never worked for the New York Rangers or the Washington Redskins, and it certainly won't work here. We are already giving Shawne Merriman his last shot, we don't need to be bringing another washed up retread player to see what he has left.

Again, who the hell are the Bills supposed to draft? Luck will be gone, Mallett is terrible, and Locker is a project at best.
Easy: a defensive difference-maker, hopefully someone who can rush the goddamned QB.

No, the Bills need to win NOW.
Stop following my team. Go be a Cowboys or Redskins fan, you don't have the patience it takes to be a Buffalo fan.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually DM, I meant McNabb to be there only to groom the young QB, not turn the franchise around. That's what they wanted him to do in Washington. His purpose in Buffalo would be different, but I understand your reluctance to want that. It was just an off-the-top thought, not really meaty. I do stand by my statement though that the Bills need a project and not a quick fix. Maybe they don't need a vet QB, just a really good QB coach?

Fitzpatrick isn't garbage, but he's certainly not a franchise QB either. I definitely think the Bills should target a QB in the draft, but I also think it would be wise for them to pick up a good vet to groom the kid before he becomes the starter. Fitzpatrick can pull off the starting job for a few more years while a young QB learns, and then when the kid is ready he'll take his place. The Bills can't afford to rush someone into the fold too quickly, or they will set themselves back yet again.

Here's a thought: McNabb in Buffalo? He'd be a good choice to have a young QB learn under him.
I like that. I think a big if though is if McNabb can come down on how much he wants. I still think he is going to expect more money than we are willing to pay him (or than what he's worth, for that matter), but if we could agree on a reasonable price it would make sense. Any thoughts on who the bills should target in the draft?

EDIT: wow a lot of posts i got ninjad by. DM, if we bring in McNabb he wouldn't be a long term starter, he would be a guy who could "man the fort" until a young quarterback was ready. The thing is, im not sure he's ready to be a "man the fort" type of guy yet.

EDIT 2: oh god that list of quarterbacks in DMs post makes me so sad. Also any attempt for the Bills to win now will only end in failure and hurt the franchise in the long run. Al Davis is an example of what we would get if we wanted to win now. He always wants to win now every year, and has continually sabatoged his team for a decade trying.

I never said we don't need an upgrade, but we could do a LOT worse than Fitz. (See: Edwards, Trent, and Losman, J.P., and Holcomb, Kelly, and Van Pelt, Alex, and...)
And we could do a lot better than Fitz.

This reeks of someone who didn't watch a Bills game all year. You only missed him having his way with the Steelers defense, being a dropped pass from winning the game and surpassing 300 yards, and also putting up 382 against the Ravens. Their pass D isn't what it used to be, but nobody looked as good against them this year as Fitz. We lost 7 or 8 games in a row by a touchdown or less and lost 3 in overtime, so don't talk that bullshit about garbage time.
And did you watch that second Patriots game where he was responsible for FIVE of the seven turnovers?

I don't give a shit what an average NFL quarterback did with an amazing running game and defense to back him up
VY has only had a top five defense once in his entire career (2007).The Titans' defense were dead last in 2006, 28th in 2009, and 26th this season.

The Titans were 0-6 before VY stepped in. That great run game sure did win them some games!

It seems you're stuck in 2000 and still think you can win a Super Bowl with someone like Trent Dilfer. Your fear of quarterbacks makes you look really stupid.

I know it's not saying much, but he just had the best statistical year of any Bills QB since Bledsoe's first season here.
I don't care about stats, kid. I want wins, something Shitzpatrick has never done.

Easy: a defensive difference-maker, hopefully someone who can rush the goddamned QB.
The Dolphins have the league leading sacker. What has that done for them?

you don't have the patience it takes to be a Buffalo fan.
LOL

Kid, I've been following the Bills since I was in diapers. I still own a Jim Kelly jersey that I got when I was a wee lad. This team hasn't been to the playoffs since the Music City Miracle. I've earned the right to be impatient.

Again, who the hell are the Bills supposed to draft? Luck will be gone, Mallett is terrible, and Locker is a project at best.

mallett is incredible, he is a pro-style quarterback, which is why he isnt as successful in college. all he needs is like a year or two of "practice" in the big leagues and he will be a star. trust me. if you are going to judge his performance off his bowl game, its not really his fault, his passes were dead on but his recievers literally dropped the ball on him.

aaaaannnyyyyyywhooooo i was really dissappointed in my team (the broncos) this year. we did fuck all and it was frustrating to watch. imo, we should trade tebow (and maybe another guy or so) to a team like the vikings for a good reciever or so that we can produce something offensively. we got a couple of "decent" backs and a talented defense, we just cant move the goddamn ball. maybe we can draft mallett :pimp:

Dude, I've watched the entire Sugar Bowl. Mallett is nothing more than a glorified Derek Anderson. He's slow. He's stupid. He sucks.

Remember when Clausen was the "most pro-ready prospect ever?"

People need to stop idolizing Fischer for the past, he made a lot of coaching fuckups this year. The way the Titans played this season is typical of a poorly coached team. Any losing team should take Vince Young, he wins the games! Vince Young to the Panthers to revitalize the top running attack in the league? Hell yes!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Kid, I've been following the Bills since I was in diapers. I still own a Jim Kelly jersey that I got when I was a wee lad. This team hasn't been to the playoffs since the Music City Miracle. I've earned the right to be impatient.
If you were still a wee lad when Jim Kelly was the Quarterback, then DM is probably older than you...

I'm not usually in favor of quarterbacks leaving college early, but I'm not so sure about Luck's decision. He's turning down about $55 million guaranteed, and if a new CBA is put into place it's likely that it will include a rookie wage cap. Not to mention his coach, Harbaugh, is almost certainly going to coach in the NFL next year.

With him gone, though, there aren't many (I'd say, there aren't any) truly pro-ready quarterbacks ready to start next year. Mallett and Locker should be viewed as projects, and both (especially Mallett) need a solid offensive line to defend them. Honestly, if I was a Bills fan, I'd hope for them to take a quarterback in the second or third round. Locker is the only true top 10-15 QB pick this year, but chances are someone's going to draft/trade up for him like the Jets did for Sanchez a couple years ago simply due to the lack of quarterbacks in the league.

Dude, I've watched the entire Sugar Bowl. Mallett is nothing more than a glorified Derek Anderson. He's slow. He's stupid. He sucks.

Remember when Clausen was the "most pro-ready prospect ever?"
I hope Clausen makes you eat those words next year, its literally impossible to judge a QB after his rookie year... I guess you were the guy saying Peyton was horrible when he had a terrible rookie season

aaaaannnyyyyyywhooooo i was really dissappointed in my team (the broncos) this year. we did fuck all and it was frustrating to watch. imo, we should trade tebow (and maybe another guy or so) to a team like the vikings for a good reciever or so that we can produce something offensively. we got a couple of "decent" backs and a talented defense, we just cant move the goddamn ball. maybe we can draft mallett :pimp:
Tebow won you guys a game, and came just short against San Diego, and this is practically his first Pro-Games ever. He'll be well worth it within a year or two. And the Vikings wouldn't trade any of our receivers anyway, beside our defense our receivers are one of the strengths of this team, along with Peterson and Gerhart.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
WTF Alan you guys have Brandon Lloyd, Jabar Gaffney, and Eddie Royal. Why do you need to trade for another WR?

The Bills will never be good as long as Ralph Wilson is the owner. And I have seen some Bills games. My brother is a Bills fan and I went to go see Bills-Pats with him last month.

I'm just interested to see what the Titans do. ^^ As a TN native, I root for them in the AFC (but the Falcons overall, and I have since I was old enough to understand football, so it was before they were actually winning games.) The Titans have a great running game (don't give me the crap about how CJ only had 1,364 rush yards, cause he did it while having alot of under 50 yard games.) plus, Ringer is pretty good. The recievers are young and talented (Williams and Britt) and not to mention Nate Washington. The return game is getting better with Mariani.

NOW, they need a QB. Idk who they will go with, or what will happen. Idk if Moss will stay (Probably not). The Defense needs something. A dynamic CB would be nice, as Finnegan is great, and the safeties are good (Griffin is above average) The Line is FULL of great players. How many teams have at least 7 players to rotate on the D-Line? The linebackers are good, Tulloch is pretty good in coverage, and Witherspoon(sp) is a nice compliment. If they could get another LB, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

The main problems are with the lack of QB, and pass coverage.

Any thoughts?

I'm not usually in favor of quarterbacks leaving college early, but I'm not so sure about Luck's decision. He's turning down about $55 million guaranteed, and if a new CBA is put into place it's likely that it will include a rookie wage cap. Not to mention his coach, Harbaugh, is almost certainly going to coach in the NFL next year.

With him gone, though, there aren't many (I'd say, there aren't any) truly pro-ready quarterbacks ready to start next year. Mallett and Locker should be viewed as projects, and both (especially Mallett) need a solid offensive line to defend them. Honestly, if I was a Bills fan, I'd hope for them to take a quarterback in the second or third round. Locker is the only true top 10-15 QB pick this year, but chances are someone's going to draft/trade up for him like the Jets did for Sanchez a couple years ago simply due to the lack of quarterbacks in the league.
Pretty much my thoughts about Luck...I mean, sure for some people it's not about the money, but in the end, just about everything/one can be wooed by enough...if Harbaugh goes through and signs with an NFL team, I wouldn't be surprised if Luck reconsiders also; after all, it's only January, and the draft is still in April. I mean, look at how badly Locker's value dropped after this year, compared to him being projected as a #1 or so pick last year before he decided to stay with Washington.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bud Adams turning into Al Davis? You might say I was flabbergasted at his choosing Fisher over Young, not because VY is amazing or not-a-crybaby or anything (though he does winz da gamez...) but Fisher has done pretty much everything wrong he could have done this season. It's not like he played his part in that petty little fued as a saint and he never gave VY a fair chance from the beginning. Fisher's a dick and it's not like he's more than an average coach anyway.

Irrelevant, much?
You're trashing this guy after one season when he literally has no help on that entire offensive side of the ball... I'll say it again since he was compared to Tebow?? For some silly reason I cant imagine, wait until this guys 4-5 years into the league before you toss him aside

am I the only one who thinks that Orton is going to get traded to some team with an upstart WR corps and a half-decent defense and become the next drew brees

because jesus i was following that man like a hawk during fantasy and he is just

he really got shafted this year with denver, what can i say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)