The Everything NFL Thread - 2010 Season

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yep, it's underway now.

Cowboys might have lost John Philips for the season to a knee injury. I hate the Cowboys, but I hate seeing young players lose entire seasons to preseason game injuries much more. And the owners want to go to 18 games? Fuck them.

18 game season would be horrible. Plus as boring as the preseason games are for the fans, I like that the coaching staff gets a good look at rookies and other players and see how they play on the field, so all in all if someone gets hurt in the preseason, its not so bad. Getting injured in training camp sucks though

lol hey when you have the chance to further dilute your product for a little more cash now (but at what possible cost to the future?) you have to do it DM

HeroMasaki, I guess I will reply to last topic here? I can name a lot of wide receivers who were better last year...Andre Johnson/Calvin Johnson/Reggie Wayne/Sidney Rice/Miles Austin/Larry Fitzgerald/Anquain Boldin/Brandon Marshall/Miles Davis/Wes Welker/Randy Moss/Steve Smith probably still was/Santonio Holmes+Hines Ward probably still were/um Roddy White...that is 15 if they are all right. Packers had to have had one or two since Rodgers won fantasy football #1 spot, maybe still um...Donald Driver? I forget the rookie, but I remember Driver. Justin Gage was going to be a top 15 player, it seemed, but I have not heard his name in a while, got injured or something...just sucked?

Anyway Owens was not bad at all, not by any means, but there is no need to get overexcited about how good he is now...if he is top 15, then he will put up 1000+ yards and 8+ touchdowns when the time comes. He is not top 15 just because he has name recognition from being one of the two best receivers of the last generation (Moss the other).

18 game season would be horrible. Plus as boring as the preseason games are for the fans, I like that the coaching staff gets a good look at rookies and other players and see how they play on the field, so all in all if someone gets hurt in the preseason, its not so bad. Getting injured in training camp sucks though
Isn't that what they have offseason for?

I dunno, I personally wouldn't mind seeing 18 game seasons, it makes the games more relevant. I can't see how getting hurt in a preseason game would be much different than getting hurt in a regular season game, either way you're still injured and out for X weeks, so eh. I can see the argument for keeping 16 regular games though, as 2 extra preseason games is a chance to practice more, which could help some teams out.

Regarding T.O., he's still a good receiver imo, and probably worthy of a top 15 spot. He just doesn't have the elite QBs throwing to him, Palmer hardly qualifies as being better than the cycle of Bills QBs he went through last year based on the way he's been playing. I'm willing to bet that since he's unlikely to be double-teamed (as Ochocinco should be commanding most of the double teams anyways), he'll still post up very respectable numbers. Far as I'm concerned, Moss is only lingering because Brady throws to him, without Brady, he'd probably show similarly bad numbers.

thats actually a decent list although I'd drop (Veron?) Davis and add Holmes, Greg Jennings and DeSean Jackson.

Oh and Donald Driver is NOT better at T.O. at this point. The guy is about to get regulated to 3rd string in Green Bay.

Remember just because these guys (cough rice cough) put up better numbers does not mean they have more ability or a better skill set. Owens still displays that same elite athleticism and skill set he had two years ago when he was an unquestioned top 10 receiver.

The offseason? Bro, anyone can look good in shorts and a T-Shirt. Simulated live action is the closest thing to live action. How would having MORE games make each game more relevant? In the NFL, one or two games make or break your season. In other sports like the NBA or MLB, it's basically who didn't have the worst losing streak.

The players can barely hold up after 16 games, 18 is just too much. I heard Steven freaking Jackson saying he wanted no part in playing 18 games. When a dude who plays through severe neck and back injuries for a team that has won 5 games in the past 3 years tells you he doesn't think he can handle an 18 game season, you better fucking believe him.

If you want to shorten the preseason to 2-3 games, that's fine but you don't have to add them to the regular season.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The whole concept of adding games to the regular season is just a business proposition to get more money and interest in the league. They know that most people who aren't hardcore fans don't give two shits about the preseason, and that severely hampers the ratings. Extending the regular season to 18 games holds little or no benefit for the players or coaches themselves, it's purely for the fans. And for the most part, the fans don't know what's best for the sport, they only think selfishly. If the season is going to be extended, it needs to be a positive for everyone involved, not just a way for executives to make more money.

On Owens, I think he's better than Ochocinco actually. Chad is talented, but I haven't seen anything from him that blew me away. I dunno, maybe if he wasn't stoned all the fucking time he would be a top 10 receiver...

I think I just wanted to be really sure MIles Austin was on my list...and the second time I thought up Miles Davis, the musician? lol whoops

Donald Driver is getting pretty old, it could just be Rodgers making him look good. I knew they had some other player who was a rookie a few years ago and Favre was in love with, the guy was great, but I could not remember the name. (I stared at each team name trying to think of meaningful players, a lot like Bucaneers Redskins et cetera I could not think of anyone who still matters at wide receiver).

Rice could have just looked good because of being Favres #1 last year in an elite year for Favre, but he seemed pretty legitimate...I guess a year without Favre now will show us, if he can still put up 1000+ and not on too many receptions.

Preseason games should be dropped (down to 3 is fine) and no extra regular season games.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Greg Jennings appears to be Rodgers' biggest target, but I don't think he was there when Favre was. I could be mistaken though.

Also lol @ Favre

Greg Jennings lead the Packers in receiving touchdowns in his second year with Favre under center.

He also caught Brett's record breaking touchdown pass.

Greg Jennings was there when Favre was. Favre, from how the media portrayed it, took him under his wing. At the very least Favre seemed to genuinely like the guy and want to hook up with him as a dominant passing combination (you know, until he fled for greener pastures).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Packers had to have had one or two since Rodgers won fantasy football #1 spot, maybe still um...Donald Driver? I forget the rookie, but I remember Driver.
This is late, but were you trying to think of James Jones? I think he was a rookie last year who came on strong at the end with Rodgers.

No, it was Greg Jennings with Brett Favre. I just made a post saying so.

The reason I had said anything vague before was trying to guess 15+ better receivers to prove his claim wrong, so I could not look people up. It was Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, although either could be a product of "Aaron Rodgers threw for a fucking ungodly amount of yards+touchdowns".

Shinryu, preseason is a lot different than training camp, because the coaches get to see the players actually playing against other teams, instead of basically just running drills and holding back on each other so that no one gets hurt. Also wouldn't adding more games make each game less relevant? If you were talking about the two preseason games that get turned into regular season games I see your point, but overall each game in an 18 game season would mean slightly less, the already high amount of injuries would just get higher, and the NFL needs to figure out what they are going to do with the Players Union for next season before it worries about expanding the NFL season

I thought the general idea was that 2 preseason games would get turned into regular season games?

And really, playing another team's basically backup players I'd think is only marginally better than pitting your own against your own, I mean some camps do contact with pads and all, some don't. It's not like they're exactly trying to kill each other in a preseason game also like they would in a regular season game. No team sticks their starters out for anything more than 2-3 sets usually anyways, so really preseason games to me seems like it makes you play your backups to protect your starters and to give them more training I guess for better lack of a word.

But yeah, they definitely need to get the players union and collective bargaining all straightened out before they do consider anything like a 18 game season. It would be weird if there was no NFL next season due to a lockout.

And finally...go Niners!

Redskins stomp all over the Bills, was kinda funny to look at. I think they'll definitely be competitive with McNabb at the helm.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I actually liked what I saw from our first team defense... once again, stupid penalties hurt us. Spiller looked good, Maybin finally showed that ridiculous edge rush.

gotta say I like what I saw from the chargers tonight. The offense looked very balanced with Mathews in the backfield, and the run defense held it's own tonight. The secondary looked a little vulnerable at some points, but overall San Diego is looking classy.

Comments from a somewhat first time watcher:

hmmm... First game of the year... I like the Lions' Defense, but they can only do so much when their offense keeps putting them towards the opponent's TD Zone...

Niners crush the Colts, I approve. Smith still sucks, but we'll see...they seriously need a good QB, they really should have pursued McNabb imo. Especially since the Eagles were willing to part with him relatively cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)