The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've skimmed over the nfl rulebook and did some google searches, and I still can't find a definitive answer. Though, Jim Schwartz knew about the rule due to that meeting back whenever they had it, so it's not like the refs or Texans did anything wrong(I mean you can say the refs not blowing the whistle was wrong, but you can't expect them to see everything, that's why we have plays reviewed). Imo, it was all on Jim and I think he knows that.

Though, it does seem like a severe penalty, it will depend on what excuse the nfl gives if I agree with it or not.

Well, because

1) That game wasn't on national television.
2) Atlanta still won.
I totally didn't know either of those two things. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well I've skimmed over the nfl rulebook and did some google searches, and I still can't find a definitive answer. Though, Jim Schwartz knew about the rule due to that meeting back whenever they had it, so it's not like the refs or Texans did anything wrong(I mean you can say the refs not blowing the whistle was wrong, but you can't expect them to see everything, that's why we have plays reviewed). Imo, it was all on Jim and I think he knows that.

Though, it does seem like a severe penalty, it will depend on what excuse the nfl gives if I agree with it or not.
This was the closest I could find to the rule:

2012 rulebook said:
Penalty: For initiating a challenge when a team is prohibited from doing so: Loss of 15 yards.

He must initiate a review before the next legal snap or kick and cannot initiate a review of any ruling against a team that commits a foul that delays the next snap (emphasis mine)

Ok, I think I understand the call, and I agree with it.

But seriously, what's it going to take to win this game. lol

Though I think Detroit is destined to lose this game.

lions deserved to lose that game with the pure stupidity of schwartz.

throw a flag on a reviewable play and then dont center the ball for a field goal to win the game

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
That's a seriously fucking retarded rule. Who came up with that shit? It's not about punishing the team for a foul, and that's what the unsportmanlike conduct penalty is for anyway (although it should just be delay of game... 15-yarder why?). It hurts the integrity of the game when you ignore overturning a blatantly wrong call. Might as well go back to fucking MLB's archaic no-replays-ever bullshit.

worse call than the end of the SEA-GB game, rigged horseshit

And now people aren't going to credit Houston for winning that game legitimately and there will be doubts about how good they really are with two very close, very lucky wins in OT against teams with losing records. Fucking Texans are NOT winning this conference lol. I'm calling it now, Pats or Broncos

Overdramatic as always are we Smogon.

Texans probably deserve to lose that game just on the basis of being completely tired and injured so let's not blow things out of proportion. The Lions still had the opportunity to win the game outright anyways.

Not that it "evens out" but refs did miss a very obvious PI call on the pass to Walter the exact play before that "touchdown."

not only does record not mean anything (do you even watch NFL) (schemes a team can execute and maximum performance matter a lot more), but the moment the Ravens only put up 9 points against the Chiefs they stopped being taken seriously by anyone with anything resembling a working brain
I just wanted to say that I don't understand at all how Capt. Kirby can vehemently trash the Ravens on a regular basis for only beating the Chiefs 9-6 yet unabashedly call the Texans the best team in football despite the fact that they gave up 37 points to the Jacksonville Jaguars and needed outrageously lucky gifts to beat both them and the Detroit Lions (both in overtime). Inconsistent logic.

Forget OROY.

If Redskins make the playoffs, RGIII should be the MVP. Period.
Agreed.

The NFC East is crap. Man the Giants can sleep walk to a playoff spot. Yes, the Giants are the best team in the division, by a long shot. I thought the Cowboys were going to make it interesting but seriously.. The Giants beating the Skins next week seals the division. Even losing it only makes it close on paper. Though no shot of them losing it even with a loss to the Redskins. Thats how pathetic the division is.

I just wanted to say that I don't understand at all how Capt. Kirby can vehemently trash the Ravens on a regular basis for only beating the Chiefs 9-6 yet unabashedly call the Texans the best team in football despite the fact that they gave up 37 points to the Jacksonville Jaguars and needed outrageously lucky gifts to beat both them and the Detroit Lions (both in overtime). Inconsistent logic.
Yeah thinking that putting up a pathetic 6 points against one of the worst defenses in the league and one of the worst performing teams of all time sure is a massive overreaction. What the fuck is wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!

You even quoted something where I said record does not matter so I do not get why you think I care. The Texans got dragged into an unexpected dogfight against Jacksonville and were the better team after the early going, against the Lions they got lucky but wow who would have thought a team could possibly struggle 4 days off of an overtime game. My feelings if the Texans lost both games would not be any different except maybe slotting Texans down to 2nd under the Patriots if they had lost to the Jaguars...they did lose to the Lions today in my book. The Texans threw the Ravens around like childrens' toys in last year's playoffs and then obliterated them this year. No other good team has a stain anything like that on their record except the Bears now, who simply have a better defense than the Ravens this year so I still trust them a lot more.

tl;dr stop overreacting to specific games

tl;dr2 people make a lot of predictions if they are right a lot more than 50% of the time (I can actually literally prove that I am) that means they are good, and will still also still get things wrong - not that I think I am getting anything wrong here

Agree with above. Stop overreacting guys. The Jaguars are a divisional opponent of the Texans. Divisional games are always tough. Thanks to all the film on the other team and how each individual play or player match up. They are rarely easy. Plus the Jaguars scored TDs on long plays, fluky in other words. What scares me about the Texans is the injuries. Also lets not forget the Lions are one of the most talented teams in the league.

Also... START TEBOW!!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These Jets are about as lol as you get. I will particularly cherish the moment that MrE posted for a long time.

IT'S TEBOW TIME!

tl;dr stop overreacting to specific games
Where I'm from, we call this "pot calling the kettle black"

You say the Ravens suck because they barely beat the Chiefs despite their victories over New England, Dallas, and Pittsburgh?

Oh, okay.

Your logic makes zero sense and it's just babble to support your argument. It's impossible to bash the Ravens for barely beating the Chiefs without bashing the Texans for barely beating the Jaguars, who are arguably an even worse team (the Chiefs at least have a decent defense for god sakes...the Jags didn't even have MJD when they played the Texans).

Where I'm from, we call this "pot calling the kettle black"

You say the Ravens suck because they barely beat the Chiefs despite their victories over New England, Dallas, and Pittsburgh?

Oh, okay.

Your logic makes zero sense and it's just babble to support your argument. It's impossible to bash the Ravens for barely beating the Chiefs without bashing the Texans for barely beating the Jaguars, who are arguably an even worse team (the Chiefs at least have a decent defense for god sakes...the Jags didn't even have MJD when they played the Texans).
I specifically cited the Patriots, Cowboys, and Steelers wins as lucky and irrelevant lol...they won on a missed FG in one and on a very long punt return against a team missing its starting QB in another and you think this lends credibility? The Patriots game is a harder call - I might be picking too hard at the pass interference penalty because the FG would not have been impossible to make but all three games ended on a shaky leg. Even barring the Patriots win (a game the Ravens would have lost in any of weeks 8-12) I have damned the Ravens over 4 other games, damned them twice now for each of them because you are so butthurt you called me over things I already dealt with over the scope of several games, and I am not including the Eagles loss or anything because I do not think it had any meaning. 9 points against the Chiefs was easily 10x worse than that loss.

This was not you calling out some deluded hypocrite. This is you picking a fight you were not prepared to handle and are not CAPABLE of handling by picking at something specific when I have laid out plenty more than that before.

Most Games Scoring 50+ Points, Season, 3[12]
New York Giants: 1950
Los Angeles Rams: 1950
Dallas Cowboys: 1966
Minnesota Vikings: 1969

Notice how the last time was fucking 1969? The 2012 Patriots are fucking historic, people just do not realize it yet. Throw in that they have another 45 point game and a three game 35+ stretch and not only
WHY DID THEY PUNT
WHY DID THEY PUNT
WHY WOULD YOU PUNT FROM THE FUCKING 39!!!
BACK TO BACK 50S - NEVER DONE IN AT LEAST 20 YEARS
THREE 50S - NEVER DONE IN EVEN MORE DECADES
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
WHY DID THEY PUNT
WHY DID THEY PUNT
WHY WOULD YOU PUNT FROM THE FUCKING 39!!!
BACK TO BACK 50S - NEVER DONE IN AT LEAST 20 YEARS
THREE 50S - NEVER DONE IN EVEN MORE DECADES
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Hey CK. Gostkowski missed the FG in the first quarter that would've put them over the top.

(For the record I also think he missed FG's against the Ravens as well which resulted in that loss, iirc. I could be wrong on that though)

It was the Jets and the Colts (whose record was padded with a three game win streak against bad opponents) but nobody wants to play the Patriots right now. I really hope someone less vile somehow manages to beat them in the playoffs.

That gif is pure gold. I personally like Sanchez's reaction when he sees the Patriots' player pick the ball up. If that doesn't scream FML than I don't know what does.

Wikey I detailed with real statistics before how performance against winning teams is iirc much worse for picking Super Bowl winners and also a little worse at picking Super Bowl losers, when compared to blowing out bad teams at least. Who you kill is irrelevant, how many times you do it is relevant. Remember last year when the Patriots played nobody decent then barely lost a Super Bowl? Scoring 34 points 3 games straight is an unbelievable feat, doing it 4 straight is preposterous. Scoring 50+ and then 49 points in a row is absolutely preposterous (the only team to do it in the last 23+ years were the Raiders the year they went to the Super Bowl).

Nothing guarantees the Patriots are unbeatable because of all this, history shows us EVERY team is eminently beatable. What we do know is that the road to winning the Super Bowl 80%+ lies through Patriots...I really feel it is more like 98% at this point. With at least 20% odds to win it (which is where I put them LAST week, and thought it might take until the verge of the playoffs for bookies to get to...I think it will be sooner now!).

That's a seriously fucking retarded rule. Who came up with that shit? It's not about punishing the team for a foul, and that's what the unsportmanlike conduct penalty is for anyway (although it should just be delay of game... 15-yarder why?). It hurts the integrity of the game when you ignore overturning a blatantly wrong call. Might as well go back to fucking MLB's archaic no-replays-ever bullshit.

worse call than the end of the SEA-GB game, rigged horseshit
So if the Texans realized that a replay would have taken away the TD, they could have thrown the challenge flag themselves and just taken a penalty on the kickoff while ensuring it doesn't get replayed and overturned?

Is that rule fucked up or am I just misinterpreting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)