The Everything NHL Thread

i think these are probably my two favorite stats ever, im loling pretty hard

and i think you guys know how much i love stats

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gonna put on that tinfoil that says "Canucks nut head"

"Conspiracy theorists, start your conjecture. One of the many people Murphy sought advice from current Toronto Maple Leafs general manager and former NHL disciplinarian Brian Burke. Burke and Canucks general manager Mike Gillis aren't exactly tight, especially after a couple of successful tampering charges from the Canucks against the Maple Leafs."​
Per CBC's Tims Wharmsby.

If true, that's just fucking pathetic. Why would you go to another general manager for advice, when his opinion may not be impartial at all. Either way, if he gave a favorable look to the Canucks or the Bruins, it's not right for the disciplinarian to go to a potentially partial person for advice.

as a Canucks fan, you should be thanking god that Rome was suspended for the entire finals. He was the biggest liability on your team

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not sure I follow how one player handling the puck and the other not handling the puck doesn't make the play where the player doesn't have the puck dirtier -- at least Lindros should have have been expecting some sort of hit, since he was a legal target as the puckcarrier.
You don't follow.

-Because both were hits from the player's blind side. While you can expect a hit, it is hard to expect one you never see coming. But let's blame the player that got hit instead, if he had the puck, he just had to expect it, right? Similarly, when a player with the puck gets nailed from the back smack on his own player bench, it matters little if he had the puck or not. It would be a dirty hit, not any less than if the player was 10 feet away from the rubber thing. At the end of the day, puck or no puck, you'll need facial reconstruction and someone will get suspended.

-Because both hits were deliberately aiming the player's head with a high shoulder with intentions to cause as most damage as possible. There is no doubt Stevens was looking to injure on that play.This is the worst kind of behavior and you cannot relativise its gravity because there was no interference. Had Lindros shot the puck a second before, he would have received the same check from a player he probably wouldnt have had time to defend against. One second appears to be pretty much the only difference between the hit on Lindros and the one Nathan received.

Now I don't know this Rome guy and if that's his usual style of play but Stevens has a history of hits like that. At the very least the NHL is a lot less tolerant than it used to be on such hits... that Stevens hit used to make NHL highlights for fucks sake. Today, it probably would be an immediate suspension. There is still a lot of room for improvement, but it isn't as bad as it used to be.

But sure there was an added interference call possible on that play last night and because of that you ''don't follow'' how the hits are similar. Well then just don't follow.

I pretty much agree with Vince on this one. There is no place in the NHL for dangerous hits like that. A low hit with the shoulder or a hip check is perfectly reasonable. The whole purpose of hitting is to separate the player from the puck. There needs to be some level of respect in the game. It sorta goes back to that one saying "Treat others the way you wish to be treated." If you don't want to get checked into the boards or shouldered in the face, don't do it to other people. Those are extremely dangerous plays that can end careers. Obviously there should be a little bit of pain from a clean hit and that is fine. Players should suffer the consequences of not paying attention and it gives you an advantage when you can rattle a player with a good clean hit. It just seems like players are getting a lot stronger and bigger and the head shots are becoming all the more dangerous along with it. Is it going to take career ending injuries to Crosby, Ovechkin and Stamkos before this gets taken care of or what?

Launching off the ice and leading your shoulder into somebody's head is a 100% disrespectful move regardless of whether the player has the puck or not.

Flyers are goin' after Bryzgalov... I shudder to think what happens if they ACTUALLY have talent between the pipes...

Protip: You're reading Youtube comments. I doubt most rational fans would ever think that. That's the first time I heard that.

Suspend Rome. Dirty hit. According to McKenzie, they counted frames, and he was 1 second late on the hit, and the NHL limit is .5 seconds.

Horton needs to keep his head up though. Not defending Rome, but just saying.

And Synre, the dirtiest champions? Jesus, someone has a short memory with the 07 Ducks.
As a defenseman that has delivered quite a few big blueline hits there is nothing Horton is doing wrong. He made a play, he was turning to then crash the net but waiting to make sure his teammate controlled the puck (need to stay back and not crash if he loses the puck) had this hit happened while the puck was leaving Hortons stick it's fine. Rome didnt jump or leave his feet for the hit, it looks that way because of the force of the hit that knocked him off balance as well. The fact that he came after Horton long after the puck was gone is a lack of respect for the game and for the player. The most disgusting thing about this whole play, however, is that none of the bruins went down to Rome and forced a fight. That is 100% what should be happening there, every single time. He doesnt get to go to the box without having to fight. NEVER EVER.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Vancouver Cupcakes wanted to play a physical series, looks like they bit off more than they could chew. They can't flop their way to penalties in this series, and they're losing every physical battle despite a clear size advantage. The Bruins are a scary team when they play like this.

Not defending rome at all (good riddance) but you have to admit this was a pretty shitty hit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxLs-g9lPEc&feature=player_embedded

I'm not a huge hockey buff so can someone tell me why this isn't a penalty?
No one has responded to this so I might as well.

It should have been a penalty for interference or charging. A blindside hit on someone who doesn't have the puck and you leave your feet for the hit is definitely a penalty. Terrible blown call.

The reason the Rome hit was deemed worse was probably that Horton was injured. Which also makes you question: why wasn't Chara suspended?

I really hate the NHL's suspensions because they're so inconsistent with silly reasoning. It's like they roll a die and choose whichever number it lands on.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How many more times are the Canucks going to dive before they get called for a penalty? It's getting to the point where they're nearly giving up goals because they're looking for the refs instead of the puck. They actually got a call against them in the first but it was coincidental with a phantom Bruins penalty. Lapierre is the biggest sissy on the whole team and he winds up getting the goal, just like Burrows in game 2. The more I watch this series the more I fucking despise how the Canucks play, they're STILL mocking the fact that he bit Bergeron. The fact they've gotten this far is a black eye on the reputation of the NHL. The Bruins need to start throwing fists again like they were willing to do in game 4. Instead of letting these cowards get some momentum, shut them up right away because only 3 or 4 of the Canucks would ever dare get into a fight.

edit - well I guess it's not a series until the road team wins. gl boston

Its funny how the Canucks might be outscored in the entire playoffs and yet win a cup. Not sure if thats ever happened before.

In the nucks defense the refs were being brutally one-sided and not calling shit on boston even though they were clearly cross-checking 1-2 times and clearly tripped once. They also called an interference call on Kes when Chara was the one who was interfering vs his own goalie. On that face off, the bruin straight up tripped the nuck (don't remember which players) and they BOTH got penalties. Not that it makes sense to dive like they were, but they were getting desperate for a much-needed break in the way of penalties.

To be honest the bruins without Thomas would be terrible. They are more physical but they don't have the magic that the double Sedin line has. Boston barely has a second best player though I've been a fan of Marchand in this series.

To be honest the bruins without Thomas would be terrible. They are more physical but they don't have the magic that the double Sedin line has. Boston barely has a second best player though I've been a fan of Marchand in this series.
I hope you are just referring to game 5.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
On that face off, the bruin straight up tripped the nuck (don't remember which players) and they BOTH got penalties.
If you're referring to the faceoff where Burrows stepped on Lucic's stick and then dove in a manner befitting Crosby or the Italian soccer team, then I'd like to recommend you to several optometrists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)