The Everything NHL Thread

Ok so, Leafs and Rangers have to win a game 7 on the road. Detroit is winning a game 7 on the road atm. So far it looks like in the west it's the matchup everyone wants, DET VS CHI. Then LA VS SJS. In the east, it's to early to tell besides Pens and Sens. Honestly I think it would be the greatest thing ever if it will be Detroit and Pittsburgh in the finals.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok so, Leafs and Rangers have to win a game 7 on the road. Detroit is winning a game 7 on the road atm. So far it looks like in the west it's the matchup everyone wants, DET VS CHI. Then LA VS SJS. In the east, it's to early to tell besides Pens and Sens. Honestly I think it would be the greatest thing ever if it will be Detroit and Pittsburgh in the finals.
I would break my TV remote if that happened. 2 is enough.

Detroit definitely isn't good enough to make the finals. They'll be an easy out for the Hawks if they get to round 2, but I'd love to get one last series between those teams even though my home team will be on the losing side. Still a period to go though, would be surprised if Detroit doesn't need more goals to win.

Not real pleased about the way the Caps lost, but at least there's one more shot tomorrow. The games at MSG have been... strange. Lundqvist is having a hell of a series though, really wish the Caps and Rangers would stop getting paired up every year so I could root for him.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Brassard might find a way back into my starting line-up next fantasy season.

He's just about to make me root for the Rangers.

He's sure been amazing. While I'm definitely on board with the referee conspiracy theories as my primary excuse, I think Brassard has surprisingly been the best skater in that series. I remember watching him as a rookie and thinking he was going to be a star... looks like it's finally starting to happen. Amazed at how well the trades between New York and Columbus seem to be working out for both sides.

Speaking of people who surprised me: how good was Emerson Etem in the Ducks/Wings series? He went from someone I was surprised I knew the number of in Game 2 to the player I least wanted to have the puck in game 7. Crazy speed and unlike, say, Cogliano, he actually has the skill to do something with it.

I know people will just call me a shitty homer but I don't know how thinking the Rangers getting twice as many power plays over six games and 25 of the last 35 is bullshit makes me a homer. The officiating is shameful and needs to be investigated. The Caps have dominated possession for the most part as well which with fair officiating should generate power plays.

The officiating in all four major sports has been bad forever but with HDTV and DVR it can't be swept under the rug anymore. The only thing holding back the flood gates is this stupid mentality of "dont whine. bad calls even out." Which is horseshit. My football team has had to build a team the last two years with about 90% of the salary cap everyone else gets because of a rule that didn't exist and in fact would have been collusion if it did exist but these things even out and I'm just a whiner conspiracy theorist.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a neutral fan who doesn't watch much hockey, I saw the last two periods of the Rangers-Caps game and I saw a great deal of uncalled penalties on both sides. I realize it's frustrating when your team loses a close game and it's very easy to blame the referees, ESPECIALLY when your team doesn't get a single power play versus the other team getting several (6 I think?), but from what I saw the referees were really letting a lot of calls go and letting the guys play. The Rangers didn't even score on any of those power plays, so in the end the officiating didn't really affect the game's outcome. Game 7 is in Washington, so any conspiracy theories against the Caps should be irrelevant at this point.

Holtby and Lundqvist had monster games in goal, especially Holtby who stopped numerous shots in a short period of time during a furious burst by the Rangers. I think, despite Lundqvist getting the glory because of the shutout, Holtby performed better overall due to the sheer bombardment he received. The one goal was unfortunate, but it doesn't mean he played worse. Caps fans should be very happy about how he did.

You were on the money until you said it didn't effect the outcome -- shift to shift momentum is a big deal in hockey and it's pretty difficult to get it when you spend 1/6 of the game down a man. That's a lot of penalty killing and it leads to skilled players not getting as much ice time as they normally would and grinders getting tired for the team on the wrong side of it(which will probably hurt since they play B2B today). Hard to blame refs exclusively in a game the Caps scored 0 goals, but you could call a hundred penalties on both teams in any playoff game so the Rangers getting 0 is pretty ridiculous considering the other side... though it isn't corruption like Wikey is saying so much as the officials getting influenced by the home crowd, which happens everywhere on some level.

I don't think the Caps pressured the Rangers into doing a lot of stuff the refs had to call, but as someone who lives in the home market of a team that the league seems to give preferential treatment to and was notoriously soft and disciplined for a long time I still can't remember the last time I saw a team take 0 penalties in a playoff game I watched all the way through and the Caps hadn't had a game without a PP in over a year.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I underestimated the other more subtle variables to a situation like that, so thanks for teaching me a little more about hockey :). It will certainly be an interesting game 7, especially if both goaltenders continue to play how they did yesterday!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY

but its just one series

edit: also lol, showing all the sad fans in Toronto, with thousands of people in a classy looking plaza. Then zoom to Boston where 3 dozen people are jumping and screaming getting shitfaced in a bar

Okay, I am now happy. Bruins V. Rangers. I can't wait to watch em' bang each other up. :D

I think if Toronto won, it might've been a easier series for the Rangers. But they did surprise me going into a Game 7 Overtime.

Great. Caps shit the bed and now everyone gets to pretend the refs didn't completely job them. I fucking hate sports fans. Officiating will never get better as long as we have this stupid fucking "quit whining" mentality. What happened in this series was unacceptable. Officials helped an overmatched team stretch the series and by series end the better team was out of gas and shit the bed.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion

round 1:
If the habs didn't completely fall apart at the end of the season I might have predicted them to go a round or 2 cause I like their depth and markov+subban. I also think teams that rely heavily on their PP have a greater chance of being upset, like I think the caps will be. The caps have been really hot though and finally have a good 2nd line, so who knows. Should be a great series though. I think toronto will actually make it a series, but they just aren't very good and will lose.

Anaheim is just not very good. Even if they win round 1 I can't see them going farther than that. The nucks and sharks was close, with kesler back/d sedin healthy/newly acquired roy I think they take this. The kings have dominated the blues for the past 2 years, can't see that suddenly changing.

round 2:
Picking the two 1 seeds and the defending champs, nothing to see here. I think the rags are better than their seed and they've been really good post gaborik trade. The rags handle boston well and will win this series should it happen.

round 3:
The hawks are the team of destiny this year. The rags usually have trouble with pitt so idk if they could actually win this series should it happen. But fuck picking the 2 #1 seeds, and I think the rags are a lot better than a #6 seed.

round 4:
hawks. fuck the rags, I couldn't bear watching them lift the cup
no big deal 7 for 8, can't believe I picked the nucks over sharks, that was stupid :evan: :evan: :evan:

Wikey said:
the better team was out of gas and shit the bed.
I think Tortorella just woke the Rangers up. They played every game last year like a playoff game, and this year I think they were just tired, or didn't have the mentality. I think the old Rangers are back now, Hank has proven himself to be the best goalie in the nhl the past few years.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Great. Caps shit the bed and now everyone gets to pretend the refs didn't completely job them. I fucking hate sports fans. Officiating will never get better as long as we have this stupid fucking "quit whining" mentality. What happened in this series was unacceptable. Officials helped an overmatched team stretch the series and by series end the better team was out of gas and shit the bed.
hahaha

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So what is it? You believe the refs get taken aside and receive instructions to favour a team over another?

Fairly sure no serious league would even take that chance considering the huge backlash it would create if it were ever known. It's just not worth it.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Torontonian reporting here: LOL the sadness. Everywhere.

Thank god I'm not a leaf fan.

So what is it? You believe the refs get taken aside and receive instructions to favour a team over another?

Fairly sure no serious league would even take that chance considering the huge backlash it would create if it were ever known. It's just not worth it.
Seems like you don't know kelly Sutherland

19/20 games Kelly reffed for the Canucks, the Canucks were penalised more.

Perhaps you should put down the coolaid, these guys aren't accountable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)