The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

But you can't get him until after you have his badge iirc, so you're prolly gonna have a hard time using Mightyena and Nuzleaf ):

As far as I know, you can... I think? You can find Sableyes in Granite Cave, right? Im not sure anymore, :(.
Unless there is something im not sure about (like needing the Mach bike to get to a room where you can find them or something) then im completely lost because I thought you just had a rare chance of finding them like Ralts.

I think your right. You can get a Sableye in the Granite Caves without needing Flash. With a Sableye, Brawly will be a piece of cake!

Oh my bad then; I thought you needed rock smash to get through the cave or something haha; I haven't touched R/S/E in a while : P

I HIGHLY reccomend getting yanmega for your team, with tinted lens no pokemon resists his STAB attacks making very good use of the choice specs from the lake of rage. He also gets ancient power and has a much higher SpA then butterfree.
I need national dex for Yanmega. So I'd be stuck with a Compound Eyes Yanma until the turnover.

I'll probably go with either Bug or Psychic. I want Psychic bad but only Unown until Azalea is just gruesome. ;_;

EDIT: Decided on Ground. ;_; Any tips for Sprout Tower? >____>
Hmm. Well Vine Whip being physical means Geodude has a better shot than before, but Onix is probably better since it has a better chance of outspeeding the Bellsprouts and KOing them with their weak defenses. That's really all I can think of.

Finished my Mono-Ghost about 4 days ago, but I was on holiday, so I've only just got around to posting this.
Final team of:
Driflblim
Haunter
Dusclops
Froslass
Giratania
w/ Tropius + Bibarel HM slaves.
Cyrus was hell. Had to do Distortion World twice. Flints Houndoom was horrible too. Cynthias Spiritomb was trouble, but died eventually. I had various levels of trouble with everything else. Lucian was lol. I didn't bother with Shedinja. Restarted, and now just randomly playing through, at the Elite 4. I want to do mono-bug, but it'll have to wait until I can get a friend to help me trade my pokemon to SS.
Also, I'm amazed by how many pokemon I forgot about. Lumineon, Kriketune, Wormadam...
P.S I love Mothim OK. It's the best bug type ever, even if it did take me 3 days to get one.

I started myself a mono-bug run on my Heartgold cart and honestly there has been no challenge whatsoever.
My team is :
Butterfree
Heracross
Scizor.
right now I'm at the lighthouse 1 or 2 shotting everything. Butterfree is surprisingly effective and also learns it's powerful STAB move very early. 98% accurate sleep powder doesn't hurt too.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a lot harder if you breed them from eggs. Their levels don't start to catch up unyil you reach Clair. I myself am on the way to Victory Road with a team of levels 37-40 Pinsir, Heracross, Scizor (fucking troll), Ariados, Yanmega,

I've finished two mono runthroughs so far, Water in pokemon blue:
(Blastoise) Shell lvl55
Skull Bash
Submission
Earthquake
Surf

(Gyarados) Splash! lvl55
Dragon Rage
Thunderbolt
Strength
Surf

(Vaporeon) Vapour lvl55
Blizzard
Haze
Surf
Acid Armor

(Tentacruel) Sting lvl55
Surf
Supersonic
Barrier
Mega Drain

(Seadra) Clip-Clop lvl55
Agility
Smokescreen
Ice Beam
Surf

(Cloyster) Hermit lvl55
Explosion
Aurora Beam
Supersonic
Surf

and Poison on leaf green:
(Venusaur) Bulbs lvl53 (M)
Mild
Strength
Sleep Powder
Leech Seed
Razor Leaf

(Beedrill) Honey lvl52 (M)
Bashful
Poison Sting
Twineedle
Focus Energy
Rock Smash

(Nidoqueen) Peach lvl52 (F)
Calm
Body Slam
Poison Sting
Surf
Superpower

(Crobat) Vampira lvl53 (F)
Naive
Fly
Mean Look
Confuse Ray
Poison Fang

(Gengar) Spectre lvl52 (M)
Bold
Shadow Ball
Spite
Curse
Night Shade

(Tentacruel) Jell lvl53 (F)
Impish
Constrict
Acid
Wrap
Waterfall

all in all, some pretty good runs, tentacruel being beast in both runs

Im at the E4 on gold in a Bug runthrough with
Ariados
Butterfree
Heracross
Forrtress
Parasect
Shuckle
grinding before i go in.
Bug is hard as hell
edit:how do you do spoilers here?

I was thinking of doing a mono-water on HGSS

Gatr is available at the start, so its a no brainer

Once you get the old Rod, you can get the Polis, Gyara and Tenta pretty fast

Slowpoke isn't too far away, and Wooper is even earlier

Skip forward to when we get Surf... LOL

Late game, you can get Suicune and brute force your way through Kyogre and none of the gyms are really hard

Maybe something like this;

Feraligatr
Gyarados
Quagsire
Tentacruel
Quagsire
Slowbro

I'm looking at HM users for a Bug mono in Diamond version, (I will just Pokésav level 1 Pokémon so I will have access to Pokémon,) and I compiled the list, not including unevolved Pokémon like Skorupi or Scyther:

Surf - Arceus

Waterfall - Arceus

Fly - Arceus

Strength - Pinsir, Forretress, Shuckle, Ledian,
Scizor, Heracross, Arceus

Rock Climb - Pinsir, Arceus

Rock Smash - Beedrill, Parasect, Scizor, Pinsir,
Ledian, Forretress, Shuckle, Kricketune, Arceus

Defog - Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Scizor,
Yanmega, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain,
Ninjask, Mothim, Vespiquen, Arceus

Cut - Beedrill, Parasect, Scizor, Pinsir,
Heracross, Shedinja, Ninjask, Armaldo,
Kricketune, Arceus

So unless I use a wildcard which I really don't like doing, I'll have to use Bug Arceus for Surf, Waterfall, Fly, and either Bug Judgement or Rock Climb most likely. I know Arceus is kind of like cheating, but it's the only (kind of) Bug type Pokémon to learn those 3 HMs. It's very hard to believe that so many Bug types have wings yet none of them can fly, while Arceus can Fly through some odd means...

Get an HM Slave(Pelipper), which is better than using a uber legendary. No other choice. Don't use it in your team to level up, though. It is a slave, after all.
Who would've thought you'd need to get a slave for Fly and Surf? lol

Edit: Pelipper cannot use Waterfall, so you'll need two slaves now.

I have a mono-Water running on Ruby at the moment, which I haven't played in a while. It's currently just after Tate&Liza with the following team:

Poliwrath Lv34 (Rain Dance, Focus Punch, Protect, Surf)
Marshtomp Lv34 (Strength, Rock Tomb, Mud Shot, Surf)
Slowking Lv32 (Fire Blast, Surf, Psychic, Flash)
Ludicolo Lv32 (Dive, Nature Power, Surf, Giga Drain)
Sharpedo Lv34 (Surf, Scary Face, Crunch, Slash)
Lanturn Lv36 (Surf, Thunder Wave, BoltBeam)

Needs a lot of grinding before I carry on to Sootopolis.

I've been planning a mono-Flying of Diamond recently, and I have the team down to:

Staraptor (Brave Bird, Return, Close Combat, Roost)
Togekiss (Wish, Baton Pass, AncientPower, Fire Blast)
Tropius (Sunny Day, SolarBeam, Air Slash, Roost)
Drifblim (Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Embargo)
Altaria (Dragon Pulse, Fly, Ice Beam, Earthquake)
Crobat (Sludge Bomb, Air Slash, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot)

Shouldn't be too difficult. I'll probably move on to dodgier types after that run.

I don't allow Arceus since I've experienced first-hand how broken it is in-game. I used one to solo Red in SS.

Get an HM Slave(Pelipper), which is better than using a uber legendary. No other choice. Don't use it in your team to level up, though. It is a slave, after all.
Who would've thought you'd need to get a slave for Fly and Surf? lol

Edit: Pelipper cannot use Waterfall, so you'll need two slaves now.
The only non-legendary Pokémon to learn Waterfall, Fly, and Surf are Dragonite and Smeargle. I will probably just use Bug Arceus with Fly, Surf, Waterfall, and Rock Climb just so it can't be used effectively in battles and to keep my team uniform, because if I had a Pokémon that wasn't a Bug type, it would drive me insane.

I know I proposed a no-Arceus rule, but it's required for a mono-Bug and probably other mono-type challenges if you don't use a wildcard.

Edit: Fly is just so useful unless you're playing R/B/Y on the Dodrio Gameboy, then you can walk across the entire map in like 1 minute

I've taken a Dark challenge on Pokémon Emerald. Currently, I have 5 badges and this team:

Level 35 Male Mightyena
Rock Smash / Howl / Dig / Bite

Great Pokémon. He beat the third, the fourth, and the fifth gym without help. He set up w/Howl on the first Pokémon of each leader and then started to sweep with Rock Smash (3rd, 5th) and Dig (4th, 5th).

Level 34 Female Sableye
Fake Out / Faint Attack / Astonish / Night Shade

Second badge was really easy with her help.

Level 30 Male Nuzleaf
Flash / Cut / Fake Out / Bullet Seed

Not really helpful yet, but did well against first gym. Hits hard. Will evolve ASAP.

One of my rules was "No HM Slaves allowed", but I will have to catch one to surf until I catch a Carvanha or a Corphish.

Absol and Sharpedo will be on my team. The last slot is between Cacturne and Crawdaunt. What do you think?

PS: Excuse my english :P

First, I didnt notice any mistakes in your english. :P

Second, I think that you should take Crawdaunt, because if you get Cacturne, I think it would outclass Shiftry but Crawdaunt has more tanking ability then Sharpedo and Sharpedo gets more power.

I'm gonna try mono type fighting in my gold version. Main problem is I won't be able to evolve my machoke.
Team looks like
Heracross
Poliwrath
Primeape
Machoke
Tyrogue->One of the hitmon's Could breed it and get two, or even try to get all three and replace machoke.

There's only 7 fully evolved fighting types >_>

Yeah mono flying on ruby is pretty boss, however im stumped as to how im going to get past wattson with just a swellow and pelliper (no i will not get ninada!)

Current team is

Swellow- lv 22
Naughty nature =D
wing attack
quick attack
steel wing
double team

Wingull - lv 23
timid nature =DD
watergun
wing attack
supersonic
growl

and for future members i was thinking;
tropius
altaria
xatu

Are there any tricks to getting coins fairly easily at the slots? Im seriously struggling!

I started a Mono-Ground on Platinum when I was bored but I'm pretty unlikely to finish it now.

My current team after beating Cyrus at Celestic Town:
Lv33 Graveler (I can't be bothered trading it to another game of mine and back just to evolve it) - Tackle/Rock Throw/Earthquake/Rock Smash
Lv34 Gligar - Faint Attack/Fury Cutter/Slash/Defog
Lv27 Shellos - Water Pulse/Mud Bomb/Hidden Power/Surf
Lv32 Gabite - Sand Tomb/Dragon Rage/Slash/Take Down
Lv41 Torterra - Cut/Bite/Earthquake/Razor Leaf

My biggest problem is that I can't touch Gyarados, and that this run is becoming like more of a Torterra + others run with Torterra running through everything...

I don't know who to use the Earthquake TM on yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)