The Mighty Duck (Porygon2 Discussion)

Having another 5 team members certainly isn't what I'd call team support. I'd call it having resistances.

Support is things like clerics and wishers, but IMO, he doesn't need them.

Ive always wanted to use P-2 but its limited usefulness has always prevented it from getting a spot on my team.

but a trick room P-2, maybe something to think about when shoddy has double battles. might try it out

Having another 5 team members certainly isn't what I'd call team support. I'd call it having resistances.

Porygon2 does need Aromatherapy. This way you can recklessly charge in a t-wave / toxic / burn your other wouldn't enjoy.
Scarf Rotom gets useless if you're using swampert as check.
You need to focus around Porygon2. Do not just put it in your team and see what happens.
Porygon2 can be frustrating to take down.

And, yes you need resistances, but isn't that included in any good team?

Multiple times I have found myself wishing for a cleric on my team when I use Porygon2. The usual problem is Toxic or Toxic Spikes.

Hmmm Porygon 2 has always been used as a very versatile pokemon I remember back in the Colosseum days all it's uses and sets and how they seemed to be really cool like the recycle sitrus berry porygon and so on.
I do have a question hope that someone can help me out
Is there anyway that a set with Conversion, Conversion2 is viable on Porygon??

Hmmm Porygon 2 has always been used as a very versatile pokemon I remember back in the Colosseum days all it's uses and sets and how they seemed to be really cool like the recycle sitrus berry porygon and so on.
I do have a question hope that someone can help me out
Is there anyway that a set with Conversion, Conversion2 is viable on Porygon??
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/porygon2
No set with Conversion2 is mentioned, and the attack is likely gimmicky/only useful against Scarfed pokemon. Conversion is not even mentioned.

Back on topic:
Porygon2 certainly is versatile, but it does need a coherent strategy guiding it.

Conversion would work to give one of your moves an effective +1 boost. But you're probably better off using Charge Beam (or on Porygon-Z, using Nasty Plot).
Conversion2 might make sense given Porygon2's generally used defensively. It'll probably change the game in unpredictable ways, by changing what threatens and does not threaten Porygon2. But I think it would be too unreliable. I'm not sure the type change stays if you switch out - anyone know?

It is very nice to recklessly charge P2 into status pokemon like Blissey and Roserade. But it seems like the metagame has moved away from Natural Cure pokemon for the most part.

The interesting thing about Porygon2 is that its strength is approximately that of the abilities in the current metagame. P2 doesn't have any use of Latias's Levitate, and when all else failed P2 was my 10% chance of victory to stop a Raging Garchomp in its tracks with a traced Sand Veil. The metagame has simply shifted away from P2.

P2 still is a useful pokemon on my team (at least, the last time I went on Shoddy), but it certainly misses the times when Blissey and Gyarados were more popular than Scizor.

UUs are not necessarily weaker than OUs. Many UUs fill in niche roles that no OU pokemon can fill. (even if it is as niche as say... Baton Pass Agility while threatening Fighting / fire STAB moves, or Technician Triple-Kick Substitute Breaker :-p)

That said, by definition, Porygon2 is UU. It does not overcentralize the UU metagame, and it is not popular enough to be OU. OU pokmeon, for the most part, are just significantly more popular than UU pokemon.

UUs are not necessarily weaker than OUs. Many UUs fill in niche roles that no OU pokemon can fill. (even if it is as niche as say... Baton Pass Agility while threatening Fighting / fire STAB moves, or Technician Triple-Kick Substitute Breaker :-p)

That said, by definition, Porygon2 is UU. It does not overcentralize the UU metagame, and it is not popular enough to be OU. OU pokmeon, for the most part, are just significantly more popular than UU pokemon.
Exactly. That's why Porygon2 deserves to be UU, at least. NU status makes it overlooked often.

Porygon2 is actually pretty near to OU, in November ranking 54th with 2.49% usage. In UU it's used more by percentage but less by ranking.
I guess in both metagames, it's a niche Pokemon.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Porygon2 does need Aromatherapy. This way you can recklessly charge in a t-wave / toxic / burn your other wouldn't enjoy.
You can do that anyway to some extent if you've scouted your opponents team - just switch in on the opponents Blissey/Celebi/Starmie/Roserade, trace Natural Cure and take it from there. Obviously it's no Aromatherapy but beggers can't be choosers. Quite important to note because Porygon2 is a Toxic magnet.

The thing that always bugged me about using Porygon2 is which 'filler attack' to use. Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Recover pretty much pick themselves but then you have a tough decision to make. Thunder Wave is too predictable, Toxic gives Steels a free switch and Tri Attack doesn't have the power or coverage to justify it's use without significant SpA investment. The other options (Magic Coat, Shadow Ball, Trick etc) are too situational. I suppose Hidden Power Fire is the best shot at the moment - deals with Scizor who could normally switch in all day long, stops Forry from setting up entry hazards on you, makes sure Luke doesn't get a free SD, 3HKOs Metagross and still allows you to revenge kill Magnezone efficiently. Problem is you're left with three unSTAB'd attacks coming off a humble 255 SpA. I realise you addressed a lot of this in the OP, I'm just thinking out loud.

That said, very nice OP, I like the format. I think you're playing him up just a touch though. I've used him a lot and I do appreciate his niches but...

- Yeah, he counters Gyarados very well but a few other Pokes can stand up quite well too whilst inarguably bringing more to the team (Vaporeon, Celebi, a defensive Gyarados of your own etc).

- He does quite well against half of the Salamences out there (DD is on 50.9% of Salamence but I always found that the higher up the ladder I went the more MixMences I saw but that's obviously unfounded and probably outdated). He still isn't all that though because +0 LO Outrage still does up to 72% so if Porygon2 isn't at full health (and lets face it, he's relied on to check so many things that he probably won't be when you reach the stage of game where 'Mence will typically DD- like the analysis says 'Unfortunately, its versatility leads to a downfall: it can be tailored to do anything, but as we all know from real life, multi-tasking is hard, and Porygon2 finds it hard as well.') he can still run into difficulty.

- And fair enough - he can come in on Heatran and Jolteon very well but they can also come in on with similar ease and they are far more dangerous than he is.

Useful Pokemon for sure and I do give him brief consideration when I'm making a team but there's always a Poke that can do a similar job whilst supporting the team more effectively. Most of the time a bulky water with HP Electric can counter/check similar things. Porygon2's cool if for whatever reason I can't squeeze in a bulky water but lack of resistances (like they say, resistances are more important that defenses in DPPt), lacking movepool, low damage output and one-dimensional, predictable nature are usually enough to put me off him.

First....Would not Dusknoir somehwhat outclass P-2 with it's movepool. However, the speed factor could be a counter to this argument
Second....P-2 should be UU, when is the next suspect test for UU because P-2 could be an avid suspect

Indeed. The only way Porygon2 is becoming UU is if it sees enough usage in UU. (Or if the usage thresholds were changed, but I don't think that's likely.) Similarly, if it sees enough usage in OU it would become OU.
The other way it could be shifted is if it was deemed too powerful for UU, and thus made BL. But that isn't going to happen. Porygon2's capable, but it's not overpowering.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I just have to say that Porygon2 simply dominates as my lead in NU. It's bulky enough to take a hit or two and with Download can hit back harder. Speed can become less of an issue with Thunder Wave.

With the prevalence of strong Physical attackers that have a way to deal with Thunder Wave, Machamp, MixMence, Toxic, Latias and Empoleon, Porygon2 isn't going to swim on the line of OU anytime soon if not ever. On a smaller note, Psych Up is a great option for Porygon2 to prevent Suicune and Latias from beating it down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)