that game was weird

i went from relaxed and patient
to really pissed off and frustrated
to suprised and amazed
to scared and suprised more
to shock
to excitement, and finally
to anticipation

that was an intense series. I dont really want to talk about this, but im curious whats gunna happen to this detroit team for next year.

Back on track to the playoffs, LA vs Bos will definately get the ratings david stern and the nba want. I dont believe and never did in him rigging it so certain teams would suceed for ratings, so i believe these are the best two teams in the NBA headed for a full out war. The history between these two franchises is amazing, half the time the celts make the finals its against the lakers, and thats quite amazing considering the celts have been in the finals 20 times before. 16/20 winning championships when in the finals is also an amazing statistic, also 8-2 vs the lakers in the finals. I am very excited about this, and should be not only great games for their respective fans, but basketball fans, hell just sport fans in general to watch.

Getting into the matchups is kind of interesting. Without a doubt LA has the better offense, but Boston clearly has the better defense. The celtics dont have any really regular rotation players that can guard kobe well, but their team defense can make up for it i believe. You can also try to figure out whose gunna guard pierce/kg, one of them will have a missmatch in boston's favor. The two regular season games were both blowouts by boston, and don't mean much considering they were both before gasol arrived, BUT bynum did play both games. LA has improved a ton since then so im not taking those games as a big deal.

In the end im going by what i've said from the very beginning. If the celtics keep their turnovers down, they will win the nba title.

Well, Celtics take game 1, unsurprising since it was home. But the next what, 3 games are in LA I think, so there's a definate boost for the Lakers...then game 5 is at Boston, game 6 at LA, and game 7 at Boston again.

Game 1 was terrific. Pierce really came through big. I thought the Celts were done when he had to exit the game but when he came back, you could just hear that place roar.

I'd say Celts win in 6.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna say Celts in 6.

We beat LeBron, now we'll beat Kobe!

Boston is King of Sports :D

I'm thinking Celts in 5. They're looking unbeatable at home, and even if Lakers win game 2 (which they should), Boston can easily win their 3 home games.

Non-playoff related notes, the Suns get a new coach:

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/porter_080607.html

Now, not to be rude or anything, but I think there's a bit of a conspiracy going on here with Kerr. First, he says that the coach hiring process would be going on for a while, but all of a sudden we get Terry Porter, somewhat out of the blue today (though I guess rumors have it that he was the leading choice). Second, he's also a buddy of Kerr as well, which in itself is a bit suspicious imo. Granted, I don't know too much about Porter, he may very well turn out to be what the Suns need. But at the same time, I can't but help wondering if Kerr is playing favorites with his friends.

Btw, Lakers in 7.

I watched the last 8 minutes of it.. I loled how the Lakers almost came back when they were down by 24 points. Crazy stuff. Hopefully the Lakers can take the next game to make this interesting.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I watched that match, and was so frustrated.

We defended like the Denver Nuggets/Golden State Warriors and the sooner Vlad stops trying to be a hero, the better.

That and I was pissed off that Paul Pierce got those 2 shots when we were down by 2, there was barely enough contact to warrant the call.

Still, hopefully we will take the momentum into game 3 :)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This might sound stupid but I have a question regarding home-court advantage.

I understand the principle when it comes to Baseball, since every stadium has different metrics on field size or other factors (like Fenway's Green Monster), but as far as I'm aware all basketball courts are indoors and a standard size. Theoretically the better team should always win regardless of where the court is. Better team is of course subjective when you're talking about something as instense as the NBA Finals, but it is still a mystery what tangible benefits home-court advantage has. Obviously no one wants to get schooled on their home court and there is more fan support, but I don't think those are huge factors is an intensely skill-based game like basketball.

Well, if you take into account the vast difference in scoring between home games and away games, I would say home-court does give some advantage. I don't have the exact statistics on hand, but during the Lakers-Spurs series, they showed the difference in Spurs' scoring. They scored well above 100 at home games and in the 80s at away games. I'll try to look for the exact stats now and edit them in if I find them.

I watched that match, and was so frustrated.

We defended like the Denver Nuggets/Golden State Warriors and the sooner Vlad stops trying to be a hero, the better.

That and I was pissed off that Paul Pierce got those 2 shots when we were down by 2, there was barely enough contact to warrant the call.

Still, hopefully we will take the momentum into game 3 :)
Hell yes. FUCK that game is frustrating.

lakers still in 6. yes theyll turn it around.

nobody should be happy with this result. not even the celtics. i saw it in rivers' and kg's faces when they just barely squeezed out a win, they were frightened and may not be looking too confident right now.

as for powe, i have to give him soooo much credit. he is playing his ass off lately.

Nobody should be happy? Proving the world wrong is nothing to be happy about? Kevin Garnett should not be happy that after years of toiling in Minnesota he is up 2-0 in the finals?

The coach firings and hirings have been kind of fucking insane. Firing Flip Saunders, Avery Johnson, and Mike D'Antoni? Really?! Not a single one of those is really sensible to me. Maybe if they missed the playoffs for two or three straight years, but when each one has been very successful..uh?! Mike D'Antoni was pretty stupid to take the Knicks job (he should have waited to find out lottery positions at least, obviously, not that I am the first to comment)

Deck Knight - it is clearly mostly a psychological advantage (playing in THEIR house, with THEIR fans mostly, more pride, whatever), but the crowd also (if a good crowd) cheers at the right moments, shuts up at the right moments, and helps the home team while fucking with the road team!

by nobody i meant both Lakers and Celtics teams. You have Powe practically dominating the Lakers, the big three showing up for both games, AND keeping Kobe in check for 7 quarters, all coming down to a slim victory against a Laker team that you have ALMOST demoralized up until 7 minutes left into the game.

Kobe and the Lakers should be fucking worried to see themselves down 2-0, but neither should the celtics see themselves as sure-fire winners already when you cannot sustain a 25 point lead throughout the entire game. Letting a team score 31-9 in a span of half a quarter (or whatever statistic it was) is disgraceful. KG, Ray and Pierce should know better.

it just matters what happens in LA because we know anything can happen if they win at their home games.. because imagine if it was late third quarter and the Lakers came back! Theres no way that they should have came back as much as they did.. that was really sad but entertaining at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)