The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Following Ashenlock's doubles thread, this thread is dedicated for the general discussion of the Singles (3v3, mind you) metagame of the Random Matchup. Feel free to discuss trends, teams, gimmicks, advice, prominent threats, your experiences, laughs and rage, videos, and so forth.

Notable materials will be edited in when the time comes.

Useful stuff:
Mini Threat List and Metagame Background

Fire away!

One thing I seem to notice is that the people with a high amount of wins (like about 1200 or so), they just go for the kill, and don't really take the time to set up. Maybe they just want to get the match over with? I also like how those people go up against people with like the same amount of wins and lose only one Pokemon, if not any. They also seem to have the movesets you wouldn't see on other standard sets, and those seem to do better than standard sets.

Holy Crap, I was just thinking that there needs to be a section dedicated to Random Wifi.

Now if only I had a million dollars...

And so that this post isn't completely useless, I guess I should mention how effective Dual Screen Offence was if you have time to set up screens.

Uxie @Light Clay
(Forgot it's spread and whatnot)
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Memento
-Stealth Rocks

I find this to be very effective, as almost everyone lets me set up my screens + SR; You might be wondering "Why SR in 3v3?" The answer to this is simple: Focus Sashes always screw me over.

Double Posting to vent my rage.

I just faced an AMERICAN player with 1082 wins (free mode). It was a close match, however I lost due to a Latios getting a crit with Thunder (Obviously anti-rain). I could have won, (assuming that Thunder [50% acc in sun] missed) as Ninetales would have then been able to (Likely) survive anything that Latios could have thrown at me since it wasn't specs'd as I could have gotten off an Overheat (Even a Solarbeam would have sufficed), brought in Darmanitan (Scarf'd) and U-Turn would have KO'd, allowing me to get in my Slowbro for free, survived Golem's Explosion, and been able to damage Lucario in which Darmanitan could come in and KO with FB or Anything else for that matter.

/endrant

Did he D/C on you? Because losing to a high-win player usually isn't that rage-inducing alone, at least not as much so as losing to a much lower count player.

I think it's interesting that he packed Golem, and especially one with Explosion.

No, as I (barely) lost (It was in free mode btw). I was angry because I felt like that Thunder crit (and even hitting in the sun for that matter) was what kept me from winning. His entire team seemed surprisingly original for someone with such a high win count.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Weekend's log:
- Finally got myself to play Random Match after a while of not playing. This time, playing on my Pokemon Black to start a new record. I decided to play unrated (and probably will remain unrated until Season 2 of GBU ladder)

- Things went...fairly alright for me. Record at the moment: 20 wins, 4 losses.

- Enemy Disconnect count: 3

- Breakdown of my losses:
* First loss was due to a horribly dumb misplay involving a Shell Smash Gorebyss, Scizor, and Flareon...
* Second loss was just a terrible team match up case so I forfeited after like turn 3 when I realized I had no chance of getting back
* Third loss was due to an unexpected offensive Whimsicott with Switcheroo/Hurricane/HP Fire/Giga Drain @ Choice Specs x_x
* Fourth loss was due to a well timed Cursed Body hax...and Arcanine living with like 1 HP.

- "Notable" Pokemon seen: Regigigas (which failed), the aforementioned offensive Whimsicott, Dragon Tail/TWave/Waterfall/Fire Blast Gyarados (9.9), SubMinimizeBP Drifblim (which failed the pass due to getting Tricked on the Minimize), Moody Bibarel (with an absolutely terrible set thankfully (Protect Dive Dig Ice Beam))

- Gimmicks that failed to catch me: Endeavor Donphan, Mirror Coat Swampert, Eeveelution team... (._.)

- MVPs: Blaziken, Rotom-W

Sub-Minimize Pass Drifblim isn't too creative, it's the only other set it can run besides offensive Acrobatics.

Whimsicott with Switcheroo/Hurricane/HP Fire/Giga Drain @ Choice Specs
That's very interesting. Hurricane seems kind of redundant with HP Fire, unless he didn't have a good counter to Fighting-types, or maybe it's included because a Specs Whimsicott has so few options outside of those.

I've been seeing a bunch of Conkeldurr everywhere, usually with Drain Punch/Mach Punch. Breloom seems quite popular as well.

I feel like ever since UU was "released" that I've seen many more UU teams around. Or maybe I just didn't pay much attention before. On a side note, I got absolutely raped by a belly drum/E-Speed Linoone the other day. TBQA I completely forgot that Linoone got Extremespeed from an event until it was too late... It almost OHKO'd my Uxie with E-Speed (And I'm pretty sure most carry Shadow Claw and/or Return...)

As for common pokes, I see Jellicent, Latios, Garchomp, Gyarados, and Haxorus quite often. I think it'd be "fun" to make usage statistics for random wifi matches...

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
UU FTW. My MVP is consistently Mamoswine. With a focus sash equipped, he always nets 1-2 kills a match. He also does a great job of eliminating all the Garchomp, Gliscor, Latios, and Haxorus I see. All extremely common.

As for some oddball sets I've seen, how about... Life Orb Gyarados with Fire Blast / Thunder / Hydro Pump / something? It OHKO'd my own bulky Gyarados. I was =_=; Or Primeape that used Thunder on my Mamoswine, just so happening to hit my Gyara switch-in (which hit for only 70%, lol)? Mamoswine once fell to a Quick Attack Vaporeon on an Eeveelution team (and cost me the match that time...). Japanese players seem to LOVE carrying ridiculous attacks on their mons, just for a random, gimmicky KO.

Speed boosters are extremely deadly in random matchup, though. I don't have much respect for teams carrying speed boost Blaziken, but I was swept by Speed Boost Yanmega the other day.

My record with my UU team is 22-5, with 12 D/Cs. With my generic sandstorm team I'm 8-0 in singles, 14-1 in doubles, but it's so boring I've stopped using it.

I've haven't seen many SB pokes, but Azumarill seems to counter them fairly well.

And on a side note, I've been inspired to make an E-Speed Linoone to put on my Dual Screen team. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Ideal moveset for Linoone; This far I have Belly Drum, E-Speed, Shadow Claw, and..?

2. Who the better user of Dual Screens is: it's between Uxie, Meganium, and Serperior. Pros and cons I see:

Uxie - Great defensive prowess; best typing; shut down completely by taunt (U-Turn doesn't count as attacking); Support Moves: Yawn (Only forces a blind switch, which could potentially end up hurting me), SR, T-Wave, Heal Bell,

Serperior - Not as defensive, however, has a far better support movepool (Glare, Leech Seed, Dragon Tail, Mean Look). Not entirely shut down by taunt.

(My favorite Pokemon) Meganium - "Middle Ground"; Good at setting up screens and support, however it's defense isn't as great as Uxie and it's support movepool isn't as good as Serperior's.

Opinions?

I've haven't seen many SB pokes, but Azumarill seems to counter them fairly well.

And on a side note, I've been inspired to make an E-Speed Linoone to put on my Dual Screen team. This leaves me with two questions:

1. Ideal moveset for Linoone; This far I have Belly Drum, E-Speed, Shadow Claw, and..?

2. Who the better user of Dual Screens is: it's between Uxie, Meganium, and Serperior. Pros and cons I see:

Uxie - Great defensive prowess; best typing; shut down completely by taunt (U-Turn doesn't count as attacking); Support Moves: Yawn (Only forces a blind switch, which could potentially end up hurting me), SR, T-Wave, Heal Bell,

Serperior - Not as defensive, however, has a far better support movepool (Glare, Leech Seed, Dragon Tail, Mean Look). Not entirely shut down by taunt.

(My favorite Pokemon) Meganium - "Middle Ground"; Good at setting up screens and support, however it's defense isn't as great as Uxie and it's support movepool isn't as good as Serperior's.

Opinions?
Mine is ES/BD/Sub/SClaw.

Also, I'd probably go with Uxie to resist Fighting.

I feel like sub would only be limiting it's sweeping potential. But if there are no better options...

Shroomisaur

Uxie is undoubtably the best dual-screener of those three. Serperior's support movepool is not "far better" - you forgot Uxie's Memento, Trick, Trick Room, Knock Off, Magic Coat, etc... Leech Seed is the ONLY thing Serperior has over it, and Serperior is just as much taunt bait as Uxie. Meganium could work, but lacks bulk as you said.

Try using Screens/Yawn/U-Turn on Uxie. You say Yawn works against you, but you obviously aren't using it with U-Turn - it works wonders because it turns the "blind switch" Yawn causes into a complete switch advantage for you, and also deals minor damage, breaking sashes/Sturdy which could ruin Linoone's sweep.

I'm also thinking of running that Uxie set for my lead, but I don't have a decent Uxie to use for it....

Uxie is undoubtably the best dual-screener of those three. Serperior's support movepool is not "far better" - you forgot Uxie's Memento, Trick, Trick Room, Knock Off, Magic Coat, etc... Leech Seed is the ONLY thing Serperior has over it, and Serperior is just as much taunt bait as Uxie. Meganium could work, but lacks bulk as you said.

Try using Screens/Yawn/U-Turn on Uxie. You say Yawn works against you, but you obviously aren't using it with U-Turn - it works wonders because it turns the "blind switch" Yawn causes into a complete switch advantage for you, and also deals minor damage, breaking sashes/Sturdy which could ruin Linoone's sweep.

I'm also thinking of running that Uxie set for my lead, but I don't have a decent Uxie to use for it....
Thanks, I'll give that set a try.

I see a LOT of dragons, Gyarados, and Conkelderp. Seems like every team has at least one of these. More than that though, most sets seem standard. Except for Japanese players with high win counts, they tend to use anti metagame sets or just gimmicks instead.

I also see a lot of people going for luck based strategies... mostly because they can ragequit if it doesn't work. OHKOs have been surprisingly rare, but a few people I've seen try and boost evasion, or otherwise make hail mary styled maneuvers to pull off a crazy win or disconnect.

Is leading with a trick scarfer a good idea? I imagine you can stop set upers, BPers, and focus sash users. Something like trick scarf Metagross or Lati@s who can also rip stuff apart.

Is leading with a trick scarfer a good idea? I imagine you can stop set upers, BPers, and focus sash users. Something like trick scarf Metagross or Lati@s who can also rip stuff apart.
I see trick leads (albeit not scarfers) almost every time I get on; It's really effective at times, however, to a skilled player it's quite obvious what pokes go for trick almost every time (Rotom [most forms], Manectric usually does, Whimsicott isn't uncommon). I'd go for something a little unorthodox to use as a trick scarfer.

I see trick leads (albeit not scarfers) almost every time I get on; It's really effective at times, however, to a skilled player it's quite obvious what pokes go for trick almost every time (Rotom [most forms], Manectric usually does, Whimsicott isn't uncommon). I'd go for something a little unorthodox to use as a trick scarfer.
Persian, Manectric, Rotom, Latios, Banette, Seviper, Lopunny, etc. are all Trick-abusing Pokés that I know of as soon as I see them.

Shroomisaur

Honestly, I've only seen a few Trick users; almost every time I see one, it's Rotom-Wash. I'd also like to repeat the fact that Gliscor is on 50% of teams I see. Thankfully, they are so easy to predict with Protect that I almost always beat them.

Something I've noticed is how common Destiny Bond is... and in 3v3 battles, it's incredibly effective. Essentially if you get ahead in a match, DBond is a win condition.

Almost all Rotom forms I've seen utilize trick; however, Rotom-W seems to be the most common form.

And I don't see destiny bond that often, but it always catches me off guard when I do see it; if I get lucky I can usually just use them as setup fodder as they burn away their DB PP.

Shroomisaur

Yes, if the DBond is obvious it is a good idea to PP stall it, but I always seem to be down to only my choiced Poke/someone with only attacking moves...

I just retired my UU team after a record of 32-6. To replace them I slapped OTR Bronzong and Reuniclus onto my team; while Bronzong is so-so, LO Greenblob tears things up. TR Reuniclus is on a surprising number of teams, especially amongst Japanese players (two of the last players I beat had Reuniclus too, although both used Thunder...)

Also, as a desperate attempt to curb D/Cs, I recently changed my introduction message.

It now reads, "Do you think CONNECTION will WORK?"

I get a chuckle when people ragequit against me now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)