The Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Premier League games matter in Europe because? xD

Anyway, I'll say this again. Liverpool and Chelsea's first teams, are IMO, more adept to going and playing away in Europe and getting a result. Liverpool are a better attacking side than Chelsea, so they can also take it to teams at home. So they're the most complete side for European ties, if their first teams is fit. United still have more strength in depth over both, though.

But like I said, Liverpool may be the best at 2-legged affairs, but if we play you in the final it's completely different. It's anybody's, it just matters who plays better on the day and you can't rely on bringing teams back to Anfield. You have to play a one off game.

If United had to face Liverpool, I'd much rather it be the final since I think we'd have more of a chance of winning that then having to play you twice.

I think that Messi is the best right now, although C. ronaldo is not far behind. Its just that C. ronaldo is less consistent then Messi.

Dang Liverpool beat Fulham..
Still, United will take home the treble again! :D
Glory, glory Manchester United <3

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've decided that I disagreed with Pillo's comment on my Facebook: "At least we deserved to win." In regards to Liverpools win at Fulham and Manchester United's win today. In the first half I would agree that Aston Villa were the better side, and for a bit of the second half this was again true.. But somehow, overall I just don't think that statement is true.

Manchester United vs Aston Villa
Ronaldo 14', 80' - Carew 30'
Macheda 90+2' - Agbonlahor 58'
Goals
3 - 2
Shots On Target
7 - 6
Shots Off Target
7 - 0
Blocked Shots
4 - 3
Corners
8 - 4
Passing Success
76.7% - 67.2%
Possession
64.1% - 35.9%
Territorial Advantage
57.6% - 42.4%​

Every positive stat is in Manchester United's favour. We tried to win the game more, we gambled in a situation where it was now or never. We had so many first team players out, still pushed for the win and got it. I can't see how we did not deserve to win.

Aston Villa put in a good performance both offensively and defensively, but in all fairness most of the saves made today by Van der Sar (and Friedel to an extent) were routine saves that you'd expect quality keepers to make without any trouble.

However, if you're basing 'deserving to win' on the opposing team putting in a good performance (although still second best in every area of the field) then Fulham put in a good enough defensive performance to frustrate Liverpool and get a point (albeit being saved by the woodwork countless times). Six of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

Manchester United deserved the win today, hopefully this is the start of another run on the final stretch of our race to an 18th League Title. Now you know how we feel having to watch Liverpool score eight goals in stoppage time this season!

my predicted team vs porto

VDS

O'Shea
Vidic
Evans
Evra

Scholes
Carrick
Fletcher

Park
Rooney
Ronaldo

Maybe with Tevez over Carrick or Fletcher but he looked extremely knackered on Sunday and had played in somewhere in the stratosphere vs Bolivia as well last week so I think he'll be rested. Scholes and Carrick both need to shape up their form as well sooner rather than later.

edit:

1845: TEAMS Man Utd v Porto
Man Utd: Van der Sar, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Park, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, O'Shea, Evans, Fletcher. Subs to follow.
Porto: Helton, Bruno Alves, Lucho, Lisandro, Rodriguez, Hulk, Rolando, Raul Meireles, Sapunaru, Fernando, Cissokho. Subs to follow.

obviously i'm right :)

norulz

excellent
ok, I was really thrilled to see Porto score and lead the game at 15 minutes but then that mistake pass by Bruno Alves may have cost the team more than the tie...

nothing is ever comfortable against you cheating bastards, I still remember that blatantly onside goal Scholes scored but was disallowed :(

Still confident for the second leg though. I was really pissed off that we didn't slow the tempo when it was clear like 10000000000000 times it was 1 vs 1 on the counter attack

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Actually, you can hardly call them cheating. If anything, Porto had two viable penalty claims.

I was starting to think Man.U would do it again, but that last minute goal put a smile on my face :D

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm glad that Man Utd didn't win =D
Porto has a good chance now to come into semis
But I would have liked to see Villarreal beating Arsenal, but I believe that they'll win in London

Actually, you can hardly call them cheating. If anything, Porto had two viable penalty claims.

I was starting to think Man.U would do it again, but that last minute goal put a smile on my face :D
when they were banned from the champions league last season for match fixing i think you can...

chelsea chelsea chelsea...oh the joy

edit: tuned into the stream "gerrard gerrard what's the score" and now "where's your famous atmosphere"

what the fuck happened
and that was one of the least influential performance i have seen by gerrard.
chelsea were marvelous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)