The Uber Tier needs to become more than just a banlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my name is Blitzkreig Harmonic (yes, I know it's mispelled). You may know me better, if at all, as Shadow Light Master, a user who left GameFAQs for a higher quality of competitive discussion here on Smogon.

The primary purpose of the Uber Tier as dictated by Smogon has been to serve as a banlist for Pokemon that are too broken for ordinary play. We keep things out from the lower tiers, such as Wobbuffet, Kyogre, and Deoxys-E because they would overcentralize what could be an otherwise fluid, flexible, and varied metagame. If these things were not banned, creative, unorthodox, and game-changing strategies and ways of play would be stifled and stopped before they could even begin, and we would become bored. We play Pokemon to amuse ourselves, it is therefore only common sense that we would even out what would otherwise be a boring game. But this is all fairly academic to you. You should all know what the Uber Tier is and why it exists, so thus I'll cede that the primary purpose of this introductory paragraph was to make my post look bigger because I know when I hit "Preview" that it'll be stretched meagerly across the screen. I hope you got a nice little laugh out of that last line. Because while I'm not writing this intending to be antagonistic or a general jerk-off, now I get serious.

One of the arguments that I've seen that people use to justify Ubers staying the way it is is because it's a banlist and thus what happens to it is inconsequential. Its sole purpose, they say, is just to prevent the tier below it from being broken. But this really isn't an argument at all. Notice that I said "staying the way it is because it's a banlist." "The way it is" is being a banlist. I didn't write that out right away because not only would it look ridiculous, but because I wanted to bring that up here now to emphasize that very point. While it may seem I'm simply ranting at this juncture, what I'm saying now is that arguing that Ubers should stay a banlist is simply an argument of laziness. There's no reason for it to stay that way and not try to diversify and make fair what could be an even more beautiful and powerful metagame, and bring even more people into it so that it becomes less static.

Speaking of things being static, Smogon is not an immovable entity whose word never changes unless some magical beings decide so. That is, don't give me the argument that "Ubers should stay a banlist because that's how it's been decided to be all this time and thus should stay that way." Smogon is comprised of its users, and through the minds of its users, what the site dictates can change. Of course, here at Smogon we have a central authority that will prevent us from doing outright stupid things through mass ignorance (although that's hardly ever a problem given how easily users are banned for being idiots >_>). This is a good check, but don't mistake this iron-fisted-ness for narrow-mindedness. They've done some truly silly things before, just to humor us, such as testing Deoxys-E in the OU meta. We therefore shouldn't be afraid, through intelligent and reasoned debate, to make a difference in the way things are run.

Now I'll address the Uber metagame itself. Some notable users, such as Theorymon, have noted that it can be entertaining to play in Ubers because the overcentralization created by some Pokemon can be easily exploited to cause chaos. However, this really isn't a new idea or one exclusive to Ubers, it even exists in OU, the difference being that we actually try to keep OU stable. Due to the fact that there is such a limited pool of Pokemon and users in the Uber tier, the overcentralization and exploitation of the establishment only serves as a cycle and means that the meta will reach equilibrium faster. Because of the fact that we are human, and cannot assess which combinations have clear-cut absolute advantages over others with relative ease, some may argue that this is a non-issue. I disagree, however, because we have seen things come to a standstill too fast before. Not one that's been 100%, and that may very well be impossible, but ones that have come dangerously close. The very fact that we have a banlist at all proves it. Overcentralization and imbalance is a very real threat, and must be dealt with.

I was going to put this next point in with the previous paragraph, but I didn't want to write up walls of text that would strain your eyes (too late!). As you look at the Uber tier, don't tell me you don't care about how it's balanced. If it really was just a banlist, you wouldn't apply standard clauses such as Sleep and Double Team and the like because you really wouldn't care about how it would turn out. But this is untrue, people do care. If you canceled standard competitive rules, people would object from the time the idea was conceived. The only reason why you don't have an active movement to change things is because our minds, as humans, do not clearly and sufficiently see the mess the Uber tier is right from the get-go, and thus play in it under the impression that it has some sort of balance. You could argue that you never went into the tier with that notion. But I'd call bullshit. The very reason being because you'd never want to have those clauses lifted. There was a user named "flyingsolo" (if I remember correctly) that I saw in the Uber discussion thread, and while he was harsh, profane, and generally just rude when making his points, he was not entirely wrong, if at all, despite the fact that he exaggerated some things. Ubers is a mess. We should change it and attempt to make it more organized because we can, and it's in our best interest to do so for the sake of our own enjoyment.

That's all I have to say on the subject. It's roughly 2:00 am here, and I've been staring at my laptop's screen all day long, so forgive me for any grammar or spelling errors -- I'm just too tired! In any case, I'm new around here (although not to competitive Pokemon), so I'll try my best to be a good user. I hope you found this thread informative and I hope it sparks a good discussion. Enjoy.

EDIT: Summary: I'm saying make a tier above Ubers where we ban things that overcentralize it.

You can't really make Ubers organsied and balanced because of the nature of the tier. It's a tier where any Pokemon can be used (except Arceus, but that's only for technical reasons), so therefore, you wouldn't expect it to be balanced. Trying to make a more organised Ubers may make it less of a mess, but in doing so, the actual tier list could become even more of a mess. So by your logic, since we need to balance Ubers, we have to re-organise every other tier because when you think about, every tier except NU is a banlist in some shape or form.

You're arguing that because any Pokemon can be used it can't become balanced, it's its inherent nature. I didn't spell it out, but what I'm saying is make Ubers balanced by making a banlist for it. You said that every tier could be thought as a banlist to the one that precedes it. Then make one to succeed Ubers, so it can become balanced as well. I'm not saying push things back down, that would be silly, and as you said, force us to reorganize all the tiers below it.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I didn't spell it out, but what I'm saying is make Ubers balanced by making a banlist for it.
In RBY, competitive Pokemon originally included all 151 Pokemon. The entire metagame revolved around using your Mewtwo and countering your opponent's Mewtwo. It was completely overcentralised. Soon after, it got banned, along with Mew. This was the original of Ubers and the standard OU list.

Ubers allows all Pokemon. If we try to reorganize Ubers, and we start using a banlist, we are going to end up banning all the Ubers (not just the "Uber" Ubers). Then we will end up with the OU metagame. Why? Because all those Ubers are broken, and they themselves cause overcentralisation in the Uber metagame.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Ubers can be made "balanced" then that metagame should be OU. By definition Ubers is unbalanced. If it is balanced, then something is wrong and that metagame should actually be OU.

Basically, "too bad". I didn't read most of your post due to its length, but the gist of what you're saying has been proposed before. If what you wanted was actually possible, then that metagame should be the OU metagame.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
to be honest, many people play ubers due to nothing being banned and making it a free-for-all nothing to hold back tier. If by some chance that Ubers did get a ban list, the majority of the players would probably move to play in the ban list. We've grown accustomed to our tier, and though you may argue that certain pokemon are overpowered, like Kyogre, you also must notice that because Kyogre is so common, it is barely a threat to most decent teams, where as a pokemon such as Mewtwo or even Shaymin-s prove to be more difficult to handle with the standard team as really they aren't used that often compared to others.

The metagame isn't stale, it is slowly changing with things like the rise of Darkrai usage, it is on the point where Kyogre may not be considered "the best" uber anymore, pokemon such as Groudon prove they can sweep more easily time and time again. Forretress is showing its ugly head everywhere, and Giratina-o is the only thing stopping Forretress from removing your rocks.

Whether or not you think it deserves a ban list is irrelevant, it is a full living breathing and functioning metagame, which neither needs a ban list or wants one.

What exactly could be banned from Ubers exactly? Items (soul dew) that are banned in regular play along with Pokemon (Garchomp) are allowed in ubers because of the fact they would overcentralize the tier. Although I haven't played Ubers, I am sure of it that there is at least some balance within the tier itself (the standard rules apply). What exactly is overpowering in uber/would make a pokemon overpowering in uber?

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
darknessmalice and chrisisme pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm not really sure what you could do to balance the game without it eventually becoming closer and closer to what would essentially be the OU tier with most pokemon in Ubers being removed and banned.

I appreciate the effort you put into your post and I don't mean to be a naysayer here so please feel free to elaborate a bit on how your proposal would work. Which pokemon potentially would be "perma-banned" so to speak and how would you go about proving some ubers are "super-ubers" while others aren't?

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
So what pokemon would you ban in Ubers? By banning some of these ubers wouldn't it just be some mesh of OU and Ubers were some of the ubers would be overcentralized again? It doesn't really need things to be banned because things are working for them.

Ubers allows all Pokemon. If we try to reorganize Ubers, and we start using a banlist, we are going to end up banning all the Ubers (not just the "Uber" Ubers). Then we will end up with the OU metagame. Why? Because all those Ubers are broken, and they themselves cause overcentralisation in the Uber metagame.
Yes, but what I'm saying is that even in the Uber tier there are things that overcentralize it. That is, there are degrees of overcentralization, and more things to be banned to an even higher tier to make the one underneath it playable. I know you're saying that it wasn't meant to be playable, but it should be made so.

If Ubers can be made "balanced" then that metagame should be OU. By definition Ubers is unbalanced. If it is balanced, then something is wrong and that metagame should actually be OU.

Basically, "too bad". I didn't read most of your post due to its length, but the gist of what you're saying has been proposed before. If what you wanted was actually possible, then that metagame should be the OU metagame.
Refer to above. And please read all of my post. :( I took a long time writing it.

to be honest, many people play ubers due to nothing being banned and making it a free-for-all nothing to hold back tier. If by some chance that Ubers did get a ban list, the majority of the players would probably move to play in the ban list. We've grown accustomed to our tier, and though you may argue that certain pokemon are overpowered, like Kyogre, you also must notice that because Kyogre is so common, it is barely a threat to most decent teams, where as a pokemon such as Mewtwo or even Shaymin-s prove to be more difficult to handle with the standard team as really they aren't used that often compared to others.

The metagame isn't stale, it is slowly changing with things like the rise of Darkrai usage, it is on the point where Kyogre may not be considered "the best" uber anymore, pokemon such as Groudon prove they can sweep more easily time and time again. Forretress is showing its ugly head everywhere, and Giratina-o is the only thing stopping Forretress from removing your rocks.

Whether or not you think it deserves a ban list is irrelevant, it is a full living breathing and functioning metagame, which neither needs a ban list or wants one.
This is where I have to disagree. Not with you saying that people will just move to the higher tier, that is fully possible, but I disagree with it "not" needing a banlist because things are not stable right now. The Darkrai usage rising and falling... it's just reaching equilibrium faster than OU metagame. That's it. The combinations are finite, yes there is such thing as innovation and change, but you can stretch that only so far. Leads have basically whittled down to a group of basic Pokemon in OU, only with gimmicky anti-leads to oppose them. Ubers is in danger of that very same stagnation, not only with leads but throughout its whole meta.

What exactly could be banned from Ubers exactly? Items (soul dew) that are banned in regular play along with Pokemon (Garchomp) are allowed in ubers because of the fact they would overcentralize the tier. Although I haven't played Ubers, I am sure of it that there is at least some balance within the tier itself (the standard rules apply). What exactly is overpowering in uber/would make a pokemon overpowering in uber?
Well that requires a whole couple of stages of testing, but things such as Arceus are proposed to be game-breaking for instance.

darknessmalice and chrisisme pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm not really sure what you could do to balance the game without it eventually becoming closer and closer to what would essentially be the OU tier with most pokemon in Ubers being removed and banned.

I appreciate the effort you put into your post and I don't mean to be a naysayer here so please feel free to elaborate a bit on how your proposal would work. Which pokemon potentially would be "perma-banned" so to speak and how would you go about proving some ubers are "super-ubers" while others aren't?
See my fourth rebuttal. There would have to be stages of testing. We would have, as you said, "super-Ubers." It would just take time and testing to see what qualifies as one. The process would take a lot of hard work, yes, but we already invest so much effort in stabilizing OU. I know because this is just a casual proposition the amount of work involved is a huge turn-off because there isn't sufficient demand. But I do think that at some point in the future it should be taken into consideration. Maybe if we cleaned it out we would get more people playing Ubers just as we have UU and NU players.

So what pokemon would you ban in Ubers? By banning some of these ubers wouldn't it just be some mesh of OU and Ubers were some of the ubers would be overcentralized again? It doesn't really need things to be banned because things are working for them.
See above.

I can get what your saying however what your saying in ludicrous in most terms. To come up with a ban list for ubers would be like removing pretty much every legendary in uber. Most (With a few special exeptions) legends can define the term super uber and would be banned from the uber tier.

I don't see the point in this. Like many have already said, trying to balance Ubers will make a new tier, sure, but will result in another "Uber" tier bing formed. Then people like you will again question why the "new Ubers" isn't balanced. I think you understand my point now.

I can get what your saying however what your saying in ludicrous in most terms. To come up with a ban list for ubers would be like removing pretty much every legendary in uber. Most (With a few special exeptions) legends can define the term super uber and would be banned from the uber tier.
I don't understand this. If most legends broke the Uber tier, their wouldn't be an issue of balance in the first place since most of them break it.

I don't see the point in this. Like many have already said, trying to balance Ubers will make a new tier, sure, but will result in another "Uber" tier bing formed. Then peopl like you will again questio why the "new Ubers" isn't balanced. I think you understand my point now.
Then we'd later balance New Ubers if it ever becomes an issue, but if it ever does I'd only see that very far down the road. We'd continually balance each tier until we have fairness. But, we wouldn't jump to balance it either if it was a scenario like in RBY where the only two Ubers were Mew and Mewtwo, only if the metagame is diverse enough to justify organizing.

I tried reading your post but your constant ranting got me distracted from what I was actually reading.
From what I understand you want to play with "Uber" pokemon without the centralization? Wouldn't the more logical solution be to test these pokemon in OU (which has been done, is being done, and is going to be continued)? Not making a ban list for Ubers isn't out of laziness, it's just tediously unnecessary. It's not supposed to be a balanced metagame. It's not even supposed to be a metagame. Yes you can play there if you like, but the problems you find within it are pretty much what define it.

Then we'd later balance New Ubers if it ever becomes an issue, but if it ever does I'd only see that very far down the road. We'd continually balance each tier until we have fairness. But, we wouldn't jump to balance it either if it was a scenario like in RBY where the only two Ubers were Mew and Mewtwo, only if the metagame is diverse enough to justify organizing.
You're not listening: I meant that you will never suceed in balanceing the Uber tier, since the pokemon there are just too powerful. If you will try to balance the tier, you'll find yourself with only a small amount if ubers in it (I'm not sure about even that), while OU will be messed up. You just don't get that.

I'd like to say I can see where you are coming from, and support it totally. The number of Ubers is rapidly increasing. We already have more Pokemon in the DPPt Uber tier than we did in RBY OU - arguably, DPPt Ubers is less centralized than RBY OU because there are 21 Pokemon defined as commonly used for DPPt Ubers, and 14 for RBY OU. Now, here's a hypothetical situation:

What happens when the number of Ubers reaches 50 or so? As we've seen with DPPt so far, it's difficult to mantain a tier size of more than about 50, simply because of how usages work. By this time, despite the fact they are banned from OU, some Ubers simply will not be used at all (it'll probably be Ho-oh, but that's another story). These Ubers will not receive usage in the Uber tier, and will be banned from the OU tier. Similarly, at the other end of the spectrum, there may be certain Ubers that beat the seven hells into everything else. Let us say Nintendo creates a 255/255/255/255/255/255 base stat Pokemon with an Ability called SupBitches that gives it STAB on everything, and it has everything in its movepool. This Pokemon would dominate the entirety of Ubers.

It seems to me at this point that, if certain Pokemon were removed, Ubers as we understand it now could become a balanced tier in its own right. We're constantly expanding downwards - we went from just OU, UU (usage tiers wise), to OU, UU, and NU, and now there are talks of something below even NU. So, we've proved that eventually the lower tiers grow large enough to be balanced, requiring an extra tier. Why can't the Uber tier be expanded upwards? You could end up with something like this:

Super Ubers
Borderline 1
Ubers
Borderline 2
OU
Borderline 3
UU
Borderline 4
RU
Borderline 5
NU

Where each tier, with the exception of the Borderline tiers and Super Ubers, is balanced.

The uber tier IS balanced. Everything other than wynaut and deoxys are usable. The fact that there are so few pokes in the tier is what causes the ridiculous centralization. Imagine if standard had only 20 pokes in it. It would have ridiculous numbers too. The fact is that everything in the uber tier is pretty competetive and has a niche in the metagame. Even Manaphy can at least make an excellent Darkrai counter in the rain. The ubiquity of certain ubers in fact creates a metagame where extremely strange things like parasect, primeape, and shedinja usable. It is quite a learning experience to see how such a dependable metagame can be exploited.

I don't understand this. If most legends broke the Uber tier, their wouldn't be an issue of balance in the first place since most of them break it.
That's the thing though. Most legends are broken which is the reason for the uber tier in the first place.

In all truth I'd like to agree with you on this fact but because their are so few in the uber tier and almost all of them are broken in the first place (Which puts them at equal ground against one another) I just can think of a reason to put a ban list on this tier.

Because they aren't broken amongst themselves? Ubers are broken in the context of the OU metagame, in Ubers, everything is roughly on equal terms, there is a rough sense of balance. If you place Groudon in Ubers, asssuming he'd never existed before, you coldn't go "wtf he's broken as shit", because compared to the other Ubers, he's not broken - they're around the same level of strength. That said, there are arguably a few who are broken even within the context of Ubers - Kyogre, if placed in the Ubers tier assuming it had never been in that tier before, would destroy most teams with ease.

How would creating a banlist for Ubers actually change things?

Ultimately, the banlist you create will be equivalent to Ubers now, and so the tier below it will end up being equivalent to OU now, give or take a couple of changes.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't want to say much here

Centralization is what's unique about Ubers, and trying to eliminate what IMO is the best quality about the metagame by trying to balance it is ridiculous. Ubers has the biggest room to exploit weaknesses because people use the same stuff everytime, and these events has happened in the past (most notably by the skyrocketing of Wobbuffet, Giratina-O, and Lucario usage).The only way there could be an ubers banlist if something comes out that is so powerful it makes Arceus look like Ariados (because Arceus himself is not enough to break the barrier). I'm talking about 255/255/255/255/255/255, Electric/Steel Pokemon with Levitate...or something along the lines of that.

I'm sorry but this won't be happening.

I'd like to say I can see where you are coming from, and support it totally. The number of Ubers is rapidly increasing. We already have more Pokemon in the DPPt Uber tier than we did in RBY OU - arguably, DPPt Ubers is less centralized than RBY OU because there are 21 Pokemon defined as commonly used for DPPt Ubers, and 14 for RBY OU. Now, here's a hypothetical situation:

What happens when the number of Ubers reaches 50 or so? As we've seen with DPPt so far, it's difficult to mantain a tier size of more than about 50, simply because of how usages work. By this time, despite the fact they are banned from OU, some Ubers simply will not be used at all (it'll probably be Ho-oh, but that's another story). These Ubers will not receive usage in the Uber tier, and will be banned from the OU tier. Similarly, at the other end of the spectrum, there may be certain Ubers that beat the seven hells into everything else. Let us say Nintendo creates a 255/255/255/255/255/255 base stat Pokemon with an Ability called SupBitches that gives it STAB on everything, and it has everything in its movepool. This Pokemon would dominate the entirety of Ubers.

It seems to me at this point that, if certain Pokemon were removed, Ubers as we understand it now could become a balanced tier in its own right. We're constantly expanding downwards - we went from just OU, UU (usage tiers wise), to OU, UU, and NU, and now there are talks of something below even NU. So, we've proved that eventually the lower tiers grow large enough to be balanced, requiring an extra tier. Why can't the Uber tier be expanded upwards? You could end up with something like this:

Super Ubers
Borderline 1
Ubers
Borderline 2
OU
Borderline 3
UU
Borderline 4
RU
Borderline 5
NU

Where each tier, with the exception of the Borderline tiers and Super Ubers, is balanced.
First off, many people have already stated this, but as much as you try to organize the Uber tier, it will just make more problems. The Uber tier isn't just a ban list for lower tiers; some look at it like that and some don't.

There are 22 (23 if you count Wynaut) Ubers in the metagame right now. There is no need to split the balanced and unbalanced Ubers into a Super Uber tier above the main Uber tier. It'd take all the options from playing Ubers out of playing Ubers, if you follow what I mean. The Uber metagame is a free-for-all metagame, and that's why you see such things as Blissey and Scizor and Heatran, etc go into Ubers. But there is nothing so strong in Ubers that another Uber or Pokemon can't take on. It's why Pokemon such as Garchomp went into the Uber tier from OU, because it was too powerful for that metagame.

Now, if things like what Deucalion2 says, which is hypothetical, but still far from where we are now in the Uber tier, reaching a number such as 50 or higher with Uber Pokemon would result in a split if things are too powerful for the current Uber tier. Much like how OU and Uber tiers are now. But, like I said, and again, there is just nothing so powerful currently in the Uber metagame that is to be banned from the tier. I can only think of thing that would be banned from the Uber tier and that is Arceus. Many things can take on Arceus, and even though it is and probably will still be banned unless chosen in the match, even when it's completely legal to obtain Arceus through a event. I'm sure that it will still be banned from the Uber metagame as it is very powerful and it's base stats, movepool and everything else that it can do puts it into a higher tier and since there is no higher tier it results to banning it from the tier unless both players choose otherwise.

Once it becomes legal, Smogon will probably run Suspect tests on it to see how it does exactly in the Uber metagame, and decided on it like every other suspect test they've done. Now, as most or all of us know that the event movie Arceus is coming out soon in Japan and probably soon after in the U.S. shortly after.

The moves that it learns are just immense and would dominate the Uber metagame along with many Uber Pokemon with ease. I'm not saying nothing can counter it, but with such moves as Special Rand with it, this allows Arceus to let Judgment run off another type rather from a Dragon Plated Arceus (not many people use that type for it anyways, but I'm just saying it to make a point).

With it learning such moves along with it's other amazing abilities and stats, a Pokemon such as this would be too powerful for the Uber metagame, thus it will be banned rather moved into a higher tier category since there is no higher tier at the current moment. It's just unnecessarily and a waste of time to move powerful Ubers from the most powerful tier. If something was too strong for the Uber metagame, and I'll say again, it will be banned instead of a new 'Super Uber' tier being made to put that/those specific Pokemon into. But for now, with a total of 22 in the metagame, and everything else that you can put from tiers under it.

If you want the Uber metagame to be balanced, then say there was a Super Ubers tier. A Pokemon like Kyogre is just too powerful for the Uber tier, let's say for example, and it's moved into the Super Ubers tier (or a borderline/limbo tier which is also just pointless). So this would mean, if I wanted to play with Kyogre, I would have to make a Super Uber team, rather a team with just Ubers. Then when there are like 17 Ubers in the Uber tier, some OU Pokemon will be strong enough and be able to survive in the Uber tier because it's main threat would be in the Super Ubers tier. Balancing the Uber tier now would be like making stairs that lead to nowhere. You'd just be shifting Pokemon higher and higher into tiers and just by changing the Uber tier, and shifting some Pokemon to a higher Super Uber tier, results in all the tiers under it and the Pokemon in them to be shifted into the tiers above them because they can now manage to do something and be effective enough to last in that tier.

If you want the very short version, then here you go: The Uber metagame will not be balanced or have Pokemon from it put into a higher tier. If something is too strong for the Uber metagame it will be banned from the tier because it's too powerful for it, or nothing can effectively counter it (kind of like a Garchomp in OU situation). A Pokemon in the Uber tier can also have a certain item banned if that item makes itself too powerful for that tier metagame, much like how Latias can be used in the OU tier but without Soul Dew.

Edit:
The only way there could be an ubers banlist if something comes out that is so powerful it makes Arceus look like Ariados (because Arceus himself is not enough to break the barrier).
Thank you! Someone gets what I'm thinking for once. I was waiting for your post, Jibaku, as you pretty much know the Uber metagame better than many people here on Smogon. But yes, I'm sure Jibaku too understands what I mean by if something is too powerful for the Uber metagame that it would just be banned from the tier since there is no higher tier than Ubers and no need to create one just to store one 'Super Uber' into. Or like how I said above, if that Pokemon has a certain item that boosts it's stats to a high enough stat or gives it some sort of unique way to pull off a moveset that many Pokemon just can't counter (and again, like Garchomp in OU situation and Latias in OU without Soul Dew attached to it).

~ Aether Nexus

Regarding Arceus, I personally would not want it banned at all, and I honestly don't think anyone is seriously considering it.

Regarding this thread, Ubers is defined as the OU banlist. As others have said, the whole point of Ubers is to be a free-for-all with all legally obtainable Pokémon allowed, and that creates what I and many others clearly think is a unique and interesting style of play. By calling to "balance" Ubers, you're actually missing the entire point of Ubers. If we were to balance Ubers, that defining characteristic of Ubers would be lost, and we might as well just call that the new OU, because it's practically guaranteed that it would become very similar to how OU and UU play right now.

Once Gen 5 comes out, the possible Uber tier will be expanded for sure. This actually has been discussed in the Policy Review forum. There were ideas thrown around calling to start with the Uber metagame and balance it by subtraction, creating an "Ubers-lite" that would essentially become Gen 5's OU. So really, there's no point in saying "Super-Ubers" or whatever, because the highest banlist will be Ubers by definition. It doesn't matter if this tier ends up containing Darkrai or Ho-Oh or [second Gen 5 title legendary]; it wouldn't be quite right to call it Ubers IMHO.

I think the consensus on the discussion was that there would be a preliminary OU that would appease the uninformed, and then once the "Ubers ban list" was solidified the remainder would be the real OU. Either that or make an arbitrary Ubers and balance OU by addition like they've done with all the other generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)