The UU Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why would anyone want this job between all the time spent with consistently beating hax on the ladder and having to deal with a lot of shitty np arguments

could actually deprieve your life of all joy and at the very least give you bad acne
Joining the senate endows you with a responsibility greater than yourself, and the people who understand that would have no problem putting in the effort necessary to balance this metagame for the community. People who complain about the time and dedication they don't have are a non-issue to me; that just means they weren't right for the job in the first place.

Not to mention some of us already do this for a living because we are fools and enjoy this terrible game. ;)

Just my two cents, but most pokemon players play pokemon because they enjoy playing it. As such it seems a better use of one's time to play on the ladder and have fun then to get into longwinded debates on the forums. This is maximisng one's enjoyment. As such I feel it is unfair to lean towards postcount rather than ladder rating as most users would rather be actually playing the game than talking about it.

Just my opinion, feel free to critisize if you wish.

That's a baseless assumption. If that were true, then we would not have huge groups of people on this site who write analyses, rate teams, and do general site-related stuff that either used to play the game and stopped, or simply don't play the game much at all.

And where did it say that post count matters? That's not listed anywhere as a criterion for a senate member.

What about maintaining a voting req system in which only [arbitrary high ranking] can nominate Pokemon. The Senate can then only vote on the Pokemon the community nominated?

That's what made the most sense to me, atleast. Still has a motivation to ladder and maintains community involvement but has a more educated group make the decisions. It also still has motivation to ladder. Out of personal experience, but now that there are no OU suspects, I don't really ladder at all. I need some sort of motivation outside of the enjoyment I get playing Pokemon. I enjoy playing--I don't enjoy laddering.

And have multiple nominations influence TC or something.

I guess it's pretty similar to the previous system, but...I think I'd like it more this way. Having Baton Pass voted to a majority in OU even though it was an ambiguous suspect pissed me the fuck off. Our voters don't think at all outside of their own personal preferences.

I see a lot of pointless bitching in this thread. If you don't like it then go make your own tier and play it the way you want. I was a member of the Salamence council, and I thought that was the best way to run the suspect process; it's being brought to UU, and like before in DPP OU, of course people are going to object. The point of this thread isn't for you all to bitch about the council, the idea was to let you know about it and give you all a chance to go ladder and get involved and engaged in the idea and process. All of you could have been laddering up instead of bitching in this thread and actually made progress toward your app like I did (1325 in literally 3 hours anyone?).

You can bet your ass the council will be the best pool of UU players. And if you didn't make the council, it's no conspiracy against you, you're doing something wrong. I consider myself a great UU player but if I don't get picked for the council it's probably because of activity. You need to be well rounded in every regard. Don't take it personally and stop bitching, it's really pathetic to read.

Is general personality going to be a factor for acceptance? I'm not applying or anything, nor does any of this have anything to do with me whatsoever, but I'm just curious, since having a Senate full of self-indulgent people with irrationally immovable opinions/bandwagoners (the latter being less likely) might seem a tad inconvenient.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was a member of the Salamence council, and I thought that was the best way to run the suspect process
I don't mean to be rude, but it is a lot easier to say you think a council make the best decisions when you are one of the people on the council making the decision. Someone who is not on the council is of course more likely to disagree. Simply put, it is easy to say that you like a system in which you have a say, and it is also easy to say that you dislike a system in which you do not. Telling people to just accept it and buzz off because you think it is a good system is just annoying. If people don't like something, they have a right, and, in my opinion, a responsibility, to let people know what they think. Personally, I have said enough for myself, and I don't feel like keeping up an argument for the system of a tier that is not one of the most important to me. However, I will certainly defend the right of other people to continue to do so.

I don't mean to be rude, but it is a lot easier to say you think a council make the best decisions when you are one of the people on the council making the decision. Someone who is not on the council is of course more likely to disagree. Simply put, it is easy to say that you like a system in which you have a say, and it is also easy to say that you dislike a system in which you do not. Telling people to just accept it and buzz off because you think it is a good system is just annoying. If people don't like something, they have a right, and, in my opinion, a responsibility, to let people know what they think. Personally, I have said enough for myself, and I don't feel like keeping up an argument for the system of a tier that is not one of the most important to me. However, I will certainly defend the right of other people to continue to do so.
And I don't mean to be rude in this response, but I've seen what outcomes occur when you run the democratic current system and the one being proposed, and quite frankly, I'd rather put the tiering process in the hands of those most capable rather than the majority. I've been here long enough to know that the majority is easily manipulated and persuaded to follow in the steps of more well-known battlers (Jabba pretty much made Reuinclus a suspect on his own in OU). You can defend the right of other people all you want, but at the end of the day, just because you hit a threshold rating mark doesn't mean you're qualified to make the decisions on how a tier is run; I've seen dumbass logic be the reason to ban some things over the years, and it infuriates those that actually give a shit about the tier.

What about maintaining a voting req system in which only [arbitrary high ranking] can nominate Pokemon. The Senate can then only vote on the Pokemon the community nominated?

That's what made the most sense to me, atleast. Still has a motivation to ladder and maintains community involvement but has a more educated group make the decisions. It also still has motivation to ladder. Out of personal experience, but now that there are no OU suspects, I don't really ladder at all. I need some sort of motivation outside of the enjoyment I get playing Pokemon. I enjoy playing--I don't enjoy laddering.
I like this idea, and ToF if you want the best battlers only then why didnt they just raise the ladder score you need to get? 1450 in OU was too easy, if they made it 1500 then we would likely have a more qualified voter pool and a smaller one. Implementing something like that in UU or RU could work too. You can't bs your way to 1500 in the OU ladder and im sure in UU/RU there is a point in which most of the voters are the best of the best anyways.

Well, tbh, just because you are good at the game doesn't mean you can make good decisions for an entity larger than yourself, either. It takes a certain kind of person to manage a public commodity. I mean really, look at the US government! There are people that are fully qualified to be in Congress, yet many still lack the reason and selflessness to make good decisions.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, tbh, just because you are good at the game doesn't mean you can make good decisions for an entity larger than yourself, either. It takes a certain kind of person to manage a public commodity. I mean really, look at the US government! There are people that are fully qualified to be in Congress, yet many still lack the reason and selflessness to make good decisions.
You're right in saying that just because you don't have a high ladder rating that your opinion isn't valid, but it's much safer, quicker, and easier to just ask for a high rating as a requirement because chances are if you have a high rating then you know your shit.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Not really. Honestly, it's easily possible to hax your way to 1500, and easily possible that you can get haxed so much that you will not hit 1500. The fact that the ladder produces variations so huge that you will have to win 3/4 or your games just to maintain your rating (this is true at high levels like 1400, 1450) means that luck plays such a huge role in getting a high ranking that it might not produce the best voter pool

I agree that if you can hit 1500, you know your shit, but there are a ton of people that are just as good at the game that will not hit 1500 because of hax. Not only that, but it's not hard to steal a team with a complete threat list and rape the ladder.

A straight-up ladder ranking system isn't going to adequately determine voters. It didn't in rounds 1-5 of OU (Baton Pass? Really guys?) and won't ever work again. Though I think this system can be improved, it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, that's why it's not based purely on Ladder ratings. It is a factor though, because most people don't hax their way to a high rating.

@ Blara, I think the wholen purpose of Jabba electing a senate is to make sure it happens quickly. While High ranking nominating things, then the senate would vote. It would probaly add a week to the process and if you include paragraphs, should the senate read them (which they should) it could extend it beyond and extra week.

That being said. I Do love this idea, this simply could be due to me not being really competitve until recently and being able to have a say would be awesome. But the major concern of the people in this form has been the lack of opinion of the general population.

That would solve that, but does the senate vote in the nominating vote? Just a question.

The way I thought of it was the decision of what should and not should be discussed should be onethe people makes. Elected representatives generally work on issues their constituents desire. Accordingly, I feel as if the senate should only vote on the pokemon the community nominated. And not have a say in that part.

People decide what bugs them. Senate decides what goes.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So after careful deliberation, Lonelyness and I have determined that the following seven people will make up the UU Senate:

kd24
Snunch
ToF
DetroitLolcat
Moo
Heysup
SJCrew

Thank you to everyone who sent in an application. Sorry to those who didn't make it on, though just know the last 2 slots were a very difficult choice and for that reason both Jubilee and reachzero will be in line to fill any vacancies left by inactivity. We'll work out any kinks with the system through this first stage run-through. Start being loud about potential suspects in the megathread and on IRC!

Moo

Professor
Woooooh, can't believe I made it! This is gonna be awesome, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thanks jabba + ln

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Finally I can get that fourth vote participate in Smogon's decision making! Thanks Jabba!

Edit: 1200 post :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)