1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

"The Win Formula" -- Lights, Camera, Action!

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DougJustDoug, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishin

Fishin
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It'd probably be best to translate the forum descriptions/names into something random as well since not everybody checks the front page.

Anyways, I'd have no problem playing a drive-by hero/villain.
  2. maddog

maddog is a master debater
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I can drop in at sometime and say how awesome the win formula is
  3. Colonel M

Colonel M JESUS BIRD HAS RETURNED
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Anything you'd like me to do, I'll do it.

This is gonna be intense!
  4. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I realize that most badgeholders would oppose any kind of Win Formula. That's the point of the joke. Most of us need to support this ridiculous notion, and help it gain momentum -- while the general public has to sit back and watch this madness unfold, saying to themselves "They can't be fucking serious!" We need just enough dissenters (ie villains) to give the general public hope -- "Ok, I know I'm not crazy, because <villain> is saying exactly what I would say!" But we can't have very many villains, since the overall feeling of the thread needs to be one of overwhelming community support.

This is a performance, and that means people need to act. Act like you like the formula. The best actors will be the ones that can convincingly support this assinine idea, and actually make it look like a good idea. I'm sure you guys are up to the task, if you put your mind to it.

It might be cool if some people do a "Fake Out". For example, here's a sample of a short "fake out" post:

"He fakes to the left... he goes to the right... he shoots... he scores!"
  5. Articuno64

Articuno64 1 to 63 were taken
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i could play the part of the Wise Old Veteran, as i am completely out of touch with the game, and today's players don't know me enough to be able to figure out whether i am seriously supporting the formula or not

EDIT: hahaha the fakeout post is awesome, but i'm afraid that it would give something away
  6. Great Sage

Great Sage

There's some non-badgeholders with PR access, so how do we deal with them?
  7. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

That's even better, Great Sage. They'll act like it's true and act however they would if it weren't a prank.
  8. Ancien Régime

Ancien Régime capitalism delenda est
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i'd make a good melodrama hero; i'm pretty sure i'm known for going batshit crazy over luck
  9. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yes, I want to do something for this but I haven't played Pokemon in a year let alone enter Stark Mountain. Not to mention my team relied entirely on playing off probability when I did play XD This will be the first Stark topic I follow in a long, long time.

I also support the idea of making the process public after the event.
  10. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

signing up for wise/grumpy old veteran.
    maybe i can switch sides in the middle :D!
  11. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It's possible we could get more people from IS who don't normally participate in PR in later (like a week or two in, once things get heated) because this would be such a big deal.

Also Doug you are such an evil genius lol. This is great.
  12. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

even though I'd love to do this, I really don't think I cant since I don't participate in stark at much anymore.

at best I can make a couple of random posts or whine in #smogon or something.
  13. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

ill play any role you cast me in and i do ping pong stuff already so yeah
  14. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

... um, I think I've already been cast a role, since I'm already being explicitly mentioned in this.

I've been thinking about the fake formula, and, to be honest with you, I'm finding it hard to write down a believable formula (simply because it's not believable!) I'm gonna start surely from the win formula used by Glickman and "try to adapt it for Pokemon" (yes, there is a real win formula based on the two players' ratings/deviations alone).

I might get the ball rolling sometime next week, and then probably disappear to do my real act!
  15. august

august free the robots
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

I can drop in and support the win formula whenever / if needed, or do the opposite and oppose it, whichever is needed
  16. Blue Kirby

Blue Kirby Never back down.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Being a "Theorymon Hero" sounds like a lot of fun.

EDIT: Wouldn't really fly though, would it? I guess "Battling Hero" will have to be the go. :D
  17. Articanus

Articanus

Just from the other thread. I called villain first!!!

I'd probably be the "battling" one personally, and I have a bunch of arguments pertaining to specific team types already(Explosion teams).
  18. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I'd like to think I'm recognised in Stark as being a little more of an in-game player than most so I think I'd be perfect for playing a villain role and harping on about how we shouldn't fiddle with game mechanics etc!

This all looks so fantastic, I can't wait. xD
  19. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I can see myself playing the "Battling Hero" or "Battling Villain" well.
  20. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

just make fun of it in fluo and smogon or some shit, be aloof but amused imo. its not like you care about d/p much
  21. ToF

ToF
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 13 Champion

I think I should be the zealous poster supporting the formula considering how much I hate hax and how much I hate losing to it lol.
  22. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Here are a few changes and other sundry thoughts regarding The Win Formula.

Intro and Act 1 Changes
    • When X-Act proposes his formula, it should be presented as simply a statistics report he is working on.
    • He would like to make a report that shows "What percentage of matches are won because of hax?"
    • He received a bunch of statistical data from me, and now he is trying work up a good statistical definition of "What is a hax win?"
    • He thinks it might be helpful later on, if we ever decide to test things like OHKO moves and Evasion, since those are considered hax today.
    • This should be very non-threatening to everyone. Since it's just statistics, no one should react negatively AT ALL.
    • A few interested parties will chip in and help X-Act form a good definition of "a hax win".

The Formula
    For all intents and purposes, assume we have near-unlimited access to information about battles. We don't -- but just assume we do. To make a believable formula, we need to incorporate some battle data that is practically impossible to collect.

For example, here's a rough outline for a formula that uses all sorts of data realistically unavailable to us today. But, I'm going to act like it's available at my fingertips:

Maybe this isn't the right formula, and it certainly has no math detail behind it -- but hopefully you get the idea. As the discussion progresses we can add other variables, just like I mentioned in the script. We need to work up a formula that seems somewhat interesting and believable, and the variable letters can be fit to spell "April Fools". And we have to think outside of the box as it pertains to information available to the calculation.

If you really asked me to extract the number of times Meteor Mash and Fire Blast missed in a given battle -- I'd tell you to go fuck yourself. It's unbelievably difficult to collect that kind of data from battle logs. But for purposes of this April Fools joke -- my answer will always be,
    So, put on your thinking caps, and get creative about how we could mathematically evaluate a "hax win".

Transition to Act 2
    In the discussion thread, after the formula gets some help and support -- then we'll propose that it really be used on the server to determine the winner of a match. That's the start of Act 2, when things start getting heated.

Handling X-Act's Departure
    Since X-Act is leaving for a while, and won't be able to actively post in the discussion thread. He needs to act like this is a team project by him and Caelum.
    This will make it very clear that Caelum is taking the ball and running with it. In fact, it can be a key part of the plot later when we are debating the server implementation. Comments like "X-Act never intended this", and "Caelum has taken this too far" can be possible bits of drama we play up.

With this hand-off from X-Act, Caelum is free to add all the detailed math smokescreen we require to keep this stuff above the heads of most readers.

Getting Into Character
    We need lots of heroes here, and most people signing up for roles want to bitch about the formula. For all you people that have a hard time "getting into character" to support this idea -- think of it this way: If we really and truly could eliminate bullshit hax wins, but still keep all the basic luck elements in the game -- would you oppose it? I think very few of you take joy in winning a match that you "should have lost". I also think most of you hate it when your opponent gets lucky as hell and wins a match that they should have clearly lost. Tap into those emotions when feigning support for this idea. Use that as "character motivation".

In fact, we should have a LOT of "Reformed Villains" -- people who were skeptical about the idea, until they realized that this formula will eliminate large, unfair streaks of hax, while still allowing luck to be a big part of the normal ebb and flow of a match. I'd like to see many people post something like
    Say it however you want, but you get the idea. It's OK to admit that you are a proponent of luck in pokemon. You can even admit that you originally disagreed with the formula. I think it will be even better if many avowed proponents of luck, throw their support behind this idea without admitting any change in philosophy. I can imagine the general public sitting there reading the parade of support, being crushed when a longtime supporter of luck lines up behind the idea.
  23. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

We aren't fiddling with game mechanics, though. The rules of the game remain the same, we're just changing the win condition. This is no different from banning a Pokemon (it's essentially saying "If you use this Pokemon, you automatically lose.").
  24. Lee

Lee @ Thick Club
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I would have thought that changing something as basic and consistent as 'this is what you need to do to win a match' would have fallen under a game mechanic but I see your point, yes. Win Condition sounds a lot less controversial.
  25. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Well,changing the win condition *is* changing game mechanics ("faint all Pokemon" to "play the best match possible" or in our case, flip a coin). Clauses add another way that "you lose", but doesn't change how you win.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)