Pokémon Toxapex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need something to OHKO Toxapex?

252+ Atk Life Orb Galvanize Golem-Alola Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 764-899 (251.3 - 295.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Is it useful? Not really considering what smart Toxapex would stay in. Is it fun as hell to watch Alola Golem explode? Yes.

Otherwise I'd say your best bet is to Taunt / Magic Bounce it.

I'm here to break up multiple topics. Starting with...

COUNTERING TOXAPEX
Honestly, Pyukumyuku deserves the spot for the worst enemy of toxapex. It learns soak and toxic (among other stuff) and poison/steel types arent built to handle poison. But that all goes away when Pyukumyuku uses Soak, then it can use Toxic on it and do damage over time. In terms of raw tankiness, Toxapex does deserve the higher spot, but Pyukumyuku has very good base Def and Sp. Def, with 130 at each stat. Assuming Soak doesnt get banned or something, Pyukumyuku looks to be an UU Steel-Type/Poison-Type Tank Killer.

TOXAPEX ITSELF
Toxapex makes it's home in OU, and it won't budge from there, though. It's tankiness is a force to be reckoned with, and it gains access to amazing moves, like Recover, Toxic Spikes, and some other moves.

ABILITIES OF TOXAPEX
Toxapex has 3 abilities:
Merciless: The Pokémon's attacks become critical hits if the target is poisoned.
Limber: Its limber body protects the Pokémon from paralysis.
Regenerator: Restores a little HP when withdrawn from battle.

Does high damage on one specific thing: Poison. WHO CARES?! It's a defensive pokemon, and isn't meant to deal damage!
It can't get paralyzed, but that's useless. Nothing more, nothing less. Useless. Electric still does super-effective on it.
This is where it gets more insane than FilthyFrank (hey b0ss). REGENERATOR + RECOVER. You can switch out when low HP, and take down the threat using a different mon. Then u switch back in, regenerate, and recover. Your probably gonna be at full HP, depending on how much damage you took first.
Toxapex has one thing going for it and rare are the mons that share it in the game: it just never dies.
It's an incredible defensive Pokémon and many, MANY would kill to just at least get Recover, but this thing gets BOTH Recover and Regenerator!
It's so passive though. Beside Toxic damage, it's offensive presence is abysmal, but at least it is not set-up fodder because it has Haze. Oh yea did I mention it has Haze too? It just has everything for a defensive mon, but unlike ones like Ferrothorn, it just sits there and eats attack all day without being able to dish out decent damage.

COUNTERING TOXAPEX
Honestly, Pyukumyuku deserves the spot for the worst enemy of toxapex. It learns soak and toxic (among other stuff) and poison/steel types arent built to handle poison. But that all goes away when Pyukumyuku uses Soak, then it can use Toxic on it and do damage over time. In terms of raw tankiness, Toxapex does deserve the higher spot, but Pyukumyuku has very good base Def and Sp. Def, with 130 at each stat. Assuming Soak doesnt get banned or something, Pyukumyuku looks to be an UU Steel-Type/Poison-Type Tank Killer.
Or you could just cut out the middle-man (Soak) and use Salazzle. Salazzle isn't getting OHKO'd by Toxapex any time soon and spending one turn to poison Toxapex over two is much more preferred. Only thing Pyukumuku would do better really is not make Toxapex switch out immediately until Soaked. Cuz really, if you Soak Toxapex, that's a big red flag to your opponent that you're planning something.

Or you could just cut out the middle-man (Soak) and use Salazzle. Salazzle isn't getting OHKO'd by Toxapex any time soon and spending one turn to poison Toxapex over two is much more preferred. Only thing Pyukumuku would do better really is not make Toxapex switch out immediately until Soaked. Cuz really, if you Soak Toxapex, that's a big red flag to your opponent that you're planning something.
Then again, sending out Salazzle against Toxapex is about as big a red flag as Soak would be. The only way it would work is if the opponent somehow doesn't have anything that would care less about being poisoned than Toxapex, or if the opponent gets blinded by "ooohhh Scald is super effective!" Although, since Salazzle actually packs decent firepower (no pun intended), you could use the threat of Toxic to force Toxapex out, then whack the opponent with a Sludge Wave or Fire Blast on the switch. Of course, Toxapex doesn't mind being forced out as much as other mons because of Regenorator, but that can't really be helped.

I'd like to point out that there is an ability that cna nutralize Toxic. Magic Bounce. Thought the question is if Salazzle would get herself poisoned this way.

How about Pin missile for subtituters instead of scald?? (changin the nature to impish and ivs to atk instead of sp.atk) and why ice beam or sludge bomb doesnt fit toxa?

Last edited:
How about Pin missile for subtituters instead of scald??? and why ice beam or sludge bomb doesnt fit toxa?
Toxapex is a very defensive Pokemon with very weak offenses. Since Toxapex is so weak, Pin Missile (or really any move for that matter) isn't going to be breaking Substitutes any time soon. Toxapex's main method of damaging foes is Toxic, so Sludge Bomb is actually counteractive, since 30% of the time it will inflict regular poison, and the other 70% of the time it will only do a tiny amount of damage. Ice Beam isn't STAB, so it will do even less damage. Scald isn't there for damage, but rather to burn the opponent. While a burn deals significantly less damage that Toxic, it cuts the burned Pokemon's physical attack stat in half, so in some instances it's more beneficial to burn the opponent rather than poison it.

Scald isn't there for damage, but rather to burn the opponent. While a burn deals significantly less damage that Toxic, it cuts the burned Pokemon's physical attack stat in half, so in some instances it's more beneficial to burn the opponent rather than poison it.
so liquidation for the same reason doesnt fit i assume

so liquidation for the same reason doesnt fit i assume
Correct. While the Defense down chance of Liquidation does make it tougher for physical attcker to beat Toxapex, they can just switch out or buff themselves to negate it, whereas Burn is harder to get rid of.

Last edited:
Correct. While the Attack down chance of Liquidation does make it tougher for physical attcker to beat Toxapex, they can just switch out or buff themselves to negate it, whereas Burn is harder to get rid of.
Liquidation lowers the opposing mon's Defense, not its Attack. Your point still stands though.

Is a Relaxed nature,instead of Bold,a dealbreaker?Is there anything it needs to outspeed by running Bold?
What did you want to outspeed to kill? It's already so slow that slower Taunters could beat a max-invested Toxapex with no speed investment themselves. You see a Taunt user, just bail, there's really nothing you can do.

ikr,i didn't mean it needs to outspeed opposite tauntmons/tanks with consistency...i was just wondering if there exists a particular matchup where the ever so slight difference in speed would prove valuable

Yeah that's what I wanted to know as well. Was just breeding my HA Mareanie. Got 31 HP/0 Atk/31 Def/31SpAtk/31SpdEF /Decent (1-10) speed with a bold nature and HA and Haze. So I'm wondering if I should just stop right now or is base 31 speed important for other things in a stall matchup. I heard someone mention Slowbro and Quagsire as potential problems early on, but will they be?

If only this thing had Knock Off... it'd make him so much better than tentacruel. Im having a hard time testing without Knock Off and Assault Vest so ill probably stick to the coolcruel.

I have a feeling I'm missing something but what makes everyone run max Def on this thing over Sp.Def? It doesn't seem too bad to run max Sp.Def and try to burn stuff with Scald kinda like Rotom-W can with WoW.

I have a feeling I'm missing something but what makes everyone run max Def on this thing over Sp.Def? It doesn't seem too bad to run max Sp.Def and try to burn stuff with Scald kinda like Rotom-W can with WoW.
Most reasonable reason is Earthquake, as that's Toxapex's primary weakness. Though I personally run half and half with Sassy nature, I can confirm that Toxapex is much more likely to be EQ'd than Thunderbolt'd or Psychic'd. Mostly because I wouldn't leave Toxapex out against anything Psychic or Electric typed.

My second guess would be that Toxapex has less physical weaknesses than special ones. Earthquake is a tremendously common move, whereas Electric is 99% special in OU and the only physical Psychic-type move you are going to see is Metagross's Zen Headbutt, at least until Mega Medicham returns.

If Toxapex is running Scald wouldn't Toxic be preferable over T.Spikes? Toxic still gives you the freedom to burn things like Mimikyu, Where as T.Spikes doesn't give you the freedom to choose your status condition.

If Toxapex is running Scald wouldn't Toxic be preferable over T.Spikes? Toxic still gives you the freedom to burn things like Mimikyu, Where as T.Spikes doesn't give you the freedom to choose your status condition.
Yes, Toxic is more preferred overall to Toxic Spikes, though one could argue Toxic Spikes being better than Toxic for Doubles as it affects both of the opponent's spaces.

I can somehow see Assault Vest Skarmory coming in just to set up Stealth Rock and/or Spikes since it can't be poisoned and it would be able to take a few hits from Scald before threatening Toxapex with Whirlwind if it ever carries that move anymore. Metagross is a possible answer to this thing, immune to poison (unless Salazzle poisoned it), can tank some Scalds although it will hate those Burns. Threaten back with Zen Headbutt while being safe from Stat debuffers thanks to Clear Body.
252+ Atk Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 84 - 102 (53.5 - 64.9) -- Guaranteed 2HKO.
Still Toxapex is one bulky Pokemon but that Base HP of 50 isn't so great, sad that it can't learn Pain Split, Iron Defense or Amnesia or it could be a nightmare to keep in check at certain times seeing how this Pokemon is a very good defensive wall for teams. Of course Regenerator is perhaps the best ability for it as Steel-Types are going to be the only thing that it can't really cope with. Post-Poke Bank Empoleon will bother it once it comes into play should it show up as it is immune to poison (normally) and resisting Water STABs.

I can somehow see Assault Vest Skarmory coming in just to set up Stealth Rock and/or Spikes since it can't be poisoned and it would be able to take a few hits from Scald before threatening Toxapex with Whirlwind if it ever carries that move anymore.
You... do realize that Assault Vest does not allow the holder to run Status moves, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)