Type Remix! (Currently Testing Kanto Pokemon)

Should I add the Gen 2 Pokemon, for the sake of Drizzle?

• Yes

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
It does add balance to the meta however. Keep in mind that special rock types were designed not to have a good special move in the normal meta because none of them outside of maybe, Omastar and Archeops and I guess Rock Arceus. However as you can see in that list a few pokemon have good special stats to abuse with their new rock type, like Gengar and Nidoking (Granted Nidoking has a good attack stat as well, but I'd expect to see more special sets with Sheer Force - Paleo Wave is boosted by this btw and hits harder than Stone Edge).

I've just made a team for this if anyone wants to try it out btw. It's actually a lot interesting thinking of a team for this due to all the changed types. It sucks that Kabutops is the only good physically defensive rapid spinner though (Golem actually has rapid spin in his GSC moveset, but it's an illegal move now).

I think we cannot play this tier yet until it is implemented as the teambuilder doesnt allow you to manually modify typings?

SpartanMalice

Yeah it doesn't. I was away for a few days so thought this might have been implemented lol. Oh well.

Aerodactyl gets great coverage in this btw. Hi Jump Kick, Megahorn, Stone Edge and Aqua Tail/Fire Fang hits a lot of stuff for neutral damage at the very least.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You can use a mod to change types, only it won't be visible visually. You can add any move and ability to any Pokémon in teambuilder, it's the format that checks its legality.

This is why we're testing out the Kanto Pokemon first. If it proves to be too overpowered, I'll change it.
You could try replacing Shift Gear with Automotize to help make it a bit less broken.

Here is a set I was considering testing, but I don't know where to play:

Cloyster (M) @ Shell Bell
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Shell Smash
-Wood Hammer
-Flare Blitz
-Icicle Spear

The two STABs hit like a truck with maximum investment and +2. Shell Bell is used to offset the heavy recoil Cloyster will suffer, while Icicle Spear can be used to work around the dragons that resist Cloyster's dual STABs, and thus Skill Link is still its ability of choice.

SpartanMalice

We can't play yet, but that set looks promising. It sucks he can't get bullet seed anymore, but Icicle Spear still works even w/o stab.

Since we're getting only Kanto so far watch out for Nidoking. Sheer Force + a great movepool including STAb on both Thunderbolt and Paleo Wave. The low speed hurts when it has a 4x ground weakness though. Still a decent mixed attacker.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Anyways, what movesets have you come up with? I'm interested in seeing what you do with this metagame!

Here's an example with Flareon!

Flareon @ Flame Orb
New Typing: Normal/Fighting
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Extremespeed
- Hi Jump Kick | Storm Throw Drain Punch
- Facade
- Rest | Flame Charge | Bulk Up

With its new typing, Flareon can actually be burnt, allowing it to last longer and sweep easier. Taking only 6.25% damage from SR is also a nice touch. Extremespeed is the priority of choice, getting boosted by STAB and Guts. Hi Jump Kick is also a great STAB that allows it to deal with Steel types. If you want to hit bulky things that set up their defenses hard, though, Storm Throw is a great option as well, always getting a Critical Hit. Drain Punch provides Flareon reliable recovery, allowing Burn damage to become virtually nonexistent. Facade is an amazing STAB, getting 140 BP right off the bat thanks to burn. The last move depends on your preference; Rest for instant and full recovery, Flame Charge to increase Speed, or Bulk Up to set up a bit.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
what about using Bulk Up + Drain Punch on Flareon? This will help compensate for the constant burn damage :]

Pikachuun

Flareon doesn't get Drain Punch. The OP gives it Extremespeed, Hyper Voice, Whirlwind, Rapid Spin, Hi Jump Kick, Aura Sphere, Bulk Up, and Storm Throw.

EDIT: Lol now it does

Prepare to be terrorized by this.

Muk @ Leftovers
New Typing Grass/Water
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Trait: Poison Touch
Adamant Nature
-Soak
-Wood Hammer
-Aqua Jet
-Shadow Sneak

SpartanMalice

I wonder how Pikachu with Quiver Dance and Light ball would fare. It needs that boost to outpace anything, but it has to survive. Once it sets up though, well...

Set I've thought of:

Blastoise (Bug/Rock) @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Rain Dish
252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
- Bug Buzz
- Paleo Wave
- Quiver Dance
- Hydro Pump

Have to wait for Drizzle to be released tho but this thing can work.

Once Rain is in play this thing is gonna be a scary version of Volcarona. It does have a water weakness which means that it'll have to be careful in the Rain, but vs anything that doesnt carry a Water-attack it can setup with ease.

Leftovers makes it even bulkier while Life Orb provides extra power. Speed EVs could be run but I think investing in bulk is a better choice as Blastoise can get up multiple Quiver Dances that way.

In rain it actually has 3 STABS with great coverage.

Weak to entry hazards but Rain Dish can help overcome this.

SpartanMalice

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flare Blitz
- Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Tail/Roar

Actually a pretty decent defensive typing, before Golem had two 4x weaknesses but now being Dragon/Fire its only weak to Dragon, Ground and Rock. It's special defense sucks though so it's basically the same as Donphan. This is probably outclassed by Intimidate Gyarados though, but with Rock Head he gets a recoil free Flare Blitz, which is decent for a defensive pokemon. It also has Stealth Rock, which Gyara doesn't.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Flare Blitz

Anything else though, is outclassed by this because of higher defense after intimidate as well as special defense. And access to a lot more support options.

One interesting poke is Vaporeon, previously it had no boosting moves, but a great SpA. So why not use it here ?

Vaporeon @ Life Orb
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP/ 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

110 SpA plus its massive 130 HP stat means it can survive at least one hit and get a boost. That being said, I dunno if it can still be as useful defensively what with it now being weak to two forms of priority.

Edit: Just found a decent Gyarados set as well. I think it can make better use of Scarf than MoxieMence and current GDos does at the moment I'd say because of it's typing. No 4x weakness to priority, no weakness to volt turn either.

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Coverage: Stone Edge/EQ/Ice Fang?

Dragon/Fire alone has great coverage since there's no Heatran around to absorb it. Waterfall's still great even w/o Stab cause of the flinch chance. Actually, I think you can check off Bounce since without STAB its just going to make you set up fodder anyway.

Pikachuun

I'm looking at this and noticing that some people are commenting on the lack of Drizzle. Should I RNG the 2nd Gen Pokemon, for the sake of Drizzle? Put your answers in the poll, and explain why you chose yes/no in the thread if you want!

SpartanMalice

Right now I think just the first 151 is fine. I'd be happy to see the Gen 2 pokes as well, but just the first 151 and a mostly weather free metagame (Sun's still there, but it's the only weather so there'll be no wars) is pretty decent. That being said I'd like to see Drizzle too because of all the potentially nice changes so I'm neutral to it at this point.

I prefer not, I havent had the time yet to check up on all viable mons and the tier isnt even implemented yet. Adding 100 more pokes will make it even harder to check up on everything.

That's just my opinion tho.

SpartanMalice

Yeah it's probably better if we did it one gen at a time. That way we can know what the threats are and if possible, find counters for them when future gens are implemented.

I agree with going slowly. That, and...
Ew auto-weather shenanigans. It's boring in OU and likely boring here, too. ;n;

SpartanMalice

Well, sun's still there. The downside is none of its abusers will get STAB unless they keep HP fire on their movepool. Exeggcutor loses STAB power in the sun since it's part water, Victreebel is damaged even more because it's part steel, etc. Venusaur and Charizard are decent though, mainly because Charizard's not 4x weak to rocks anymore, but is still weak to it thanks to the part Ice typing. However, Solar Power Ice Beam should be pretty powerful, and Fire Blast still gets a boost from sun.

All in all Sun doesn't look too powerful at the moment but isn't a pushover either since there's no TTar to pursuit Ninetales away. And even then, Ninetales resists pursuit. Right now the teams I've made are weatherless and I like them that way, but I might make a sun team I guess.

Still not done with checking all pokes, did some more today got my eye on these guys:

Arcanine can play many many roles now. With Water/Ground typing he has a better typing to perform a defensive role with Intimidate. Add Will-O-Wisp on the set and it will wall most of the physical attackers. It has recovery in Morning Sun as well and can lay Spikes for you.

Another role for Arcanine is to be a mixed attacker with something like ExtremeSpeed/Earthquake/Waterfall/Overheat. It's special side wasnt really appreciated before because it had shit coverage on the special side but now it has access to Water/Ground/Fire coverage (not counting HP).

A dedicated physical or special set is possible as well.

I'm interested in how Machamp would do using Flame Charge. It has the bulk and typing to come in and set up a Flame Charge so that his bad speed stat can be mitigated. It can then proceed to work that 130 Attack Stat to fire off 100% accurate DynamicPunches, Megahorns and Stone Edges. Although Guts can be run on a Flame Charge as well with Toxic Orb and Close Combat, Megahorn and an elemental punch (not sure what the best coverage options are now with all these type changes).

SpartanMalice

Seems good in practice, it's still slower than Jolteon after a flame charge even when running Jolly though, and if running Adamant, Alakazam and Dugtrio, of which Kazam can probably KO. Jolly outspeeds Kazam after a Flame Charge though so it might work. And I'm liking the Arcanine idea, it's hard to find a Mixed Attacker other than Dragonite and maybe Sheer Force boosted Nidoking in this meta.

Out of curiosity wouldn't retyping gen 2 bring the total weathers to 3? We'd have Drought from Ninetails, Drizzle from Politoed, and Sand Stream from Tyranitar. Hello weather wars. Just saying.

Pikachuun

Updates and stuff:

Fighting's 4th STAB has been changed from Storm Throw to Drain Punch. Not that many Fighting types get recovery outside of Rest, so I gave them recovery.

I will not post the Gen II Pokemon yet, because all of the people who voted no had a very good reason for it. I will post them eventually, just not now.

SpartanMalice

Aw. I was hoping Defensive Flareon would get an always critting move. Still good for it though.

When is the mod going to be up for this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)