Ultimate Over-kill

I have been using this team for a while in Wifi battles and I have realized how good it is! I wanted to share this team with you, what do you think of it?

Xatu (F) @ Rocky helmet
Trait: Magic bounce
Bold nature
252 def/ 252 hp/ 4 speed
Roost
Heat Wave
Thunder Wave
U- Turn
Thanks a lot to McBarret for giving me this great pokemon. He bounces off any entry hazards and status, has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and has semi-STAB under the sun with Heat Wave to destroy opposing steel types.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
Even without choice band, infernape does great damage to everything that opposes him and lets me analyze the other team's strategy.
*Thanks to ganj4fl for improving Infernape*

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
Now that substitute gengar is so famous, this gengar results rather unpredictable. He will kill at least one pokemon and is a great revenge killer. It requires some prediction, though.

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
She is the chosen one. with multiscale and considering stealth rock isn't on, she will use a dragon dance and then proceed to sweep everyone, lum berry is quite useful since sometimes the other guy tries to cripple her and I end up winning a free set up.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Nasty Plot
- HP Ground
This is the main pokemon in the team... I wanted a pokemon that would give me a way to control weather.. hail and sandstorm would ruin my strategy with gengar, and rain would hinder infernape and dragonite... so I had to choose sun. She resulted in being the greatest pokemon in my team. With Will-O-Wisp I cripple all physical attackers. Nasty plot is a surprise move and transforms this weak pokemon into a fearsome sweeper. I don't mind winning weather battles, I just want to win a moment in the battle and without this attacking options, ninetales can easily be walled...

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

I needed a pokemon that benefited from the weather and had great special attack. Venusaur is such a great sweeper that he has taken out entire teams with just one growth. I often use it as my last resort.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I don't really like this team too much. The first problem I see is that you have no way to deal with entry hazards, and coincidentally three out of six of your pokemon absolutely hate them (Gengar suddently holds an useless item, Ninetales and Dragonite lose 25% of their health upon switching in, and the latter loses its precious Multiscale). This will cripple you wihte a bit if facing teams that force you to switch multiple times; you are very likely to lose weather wars or to be unable to safely set-up your DNite. Other than that, there is a variety of item and set choices that are quite suboptimal in my opinion. Let me explain my opinion in more detail.

So, to fix the first problem, we need a Spinner, or a Magic Bouncer of some sort. The best thing you can do here is to substitute Ferrothorn with Forretress. While this apparently makes you much weaker to Rain teams, you have to consider that, in Sun, Water moves are much less dangerous, and using a Spinner is the single best way to enure your Sunlight is up for a longer time. Forretress can adapt its moveset to your needs, either providing both Spikes and SR, or attacking and supporting moves like Gyro Ball, Toxic, Earthquake, or even Volt Switch to mantain momentum. I'd prefer the Specially Defensive variant here, since with Sun up, you can even switch into the likes of defensive Toed or Celebi without HP Fire and set up in their face without caring too much about their attacks.

Forretress @ Leftovers / Shed Shell / Custap Berry | Sturdy
Sassy | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Volt Switch / Toxic
- Toxic / Gyro Ball / Earthquake / Volt Switch

On your movesets, first of all, I don't like Muscle Band Infernape. I'd use a Choice Scarf on it instead, since your team will appreciate a pokemon with revenge killing abilities. Also, you may want to substitute Overheat with Flare Blitz: with full investment in Attack, STAB, and Sunlight, it deals devastating damage especially if coming from such a fast pokemon. Mach Punch is probably better removed in favor of Stone Edge, that allows you to at least dent the likes of Gyarados, and kill Volcarona regardless of the weather. On Ninetales, I'd run a more specially defensive variant, that should grant you an easier time winning weather wars, and also an emergency check to things like SubCM Latias, Defensive Toed, Volcarona, Scizor, etc. One could also think to utilize Rest, since along with a Chest Berry it could be an invaluable asset to win weather wars. While you can be concerned about not outspeeding things like Dragonite, you still have many chances to screw them on the switch (Roar, WoW, Toxic, etc), and I feel the better ability to compete with Toed for the weather war is much more important.

Ninetales @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry | Drought
Calm | 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Roar / Rest
- Sunny Day / Rest

Oh, and please, please, switch to a Timid nature on Venusaur. Being outsped by Latios and Terrakion is not a good tradeoff for a little increase in power.

Hope my rate helped. Good luck.

Thanks

I actually like the new Infernape that you had in mind.
Removing those moves from Ninetales makes her very predictable and easily walled, I like the surprise it gives to my opponents when they discover that their walling techniques didn't worked. It already has WoW for stalling any physical attacker and can sometimes make a sweep. Also, the weather fights are something I don't care, the idea is tricking the opponent into thinking I care about that, but it is mainly used as a cannon fodder. That's why she is the most important member.

Changing Ferrothorn for Foretress is a terrible idea. When I play the game, I don't really need a rapid spinner, because I can work out with dragonite without multiscale and gengar can switch in and destiny bond anyone. Ferrothorn has thunder wave, which is really good when the other opponent sents out something like volcarona, making it useless. And it is far less predictable than Foretress.

The main idea of this team is tricking the other player into thinking that this is a very predictable team.. so I like uncommon strategies in it.

Thanks for the help, I already changed my Infernape :)

Hi there. Ferrothorn as a lead is a terrible idea. It will either get taunted, or substituted and set up on, and that's basically game. Occa berry won't help much, either, because once you're just being set up on, they don't really care whether they use a fire move to kill you, because they'll be at +2/2 or higher while you're still messing around putting up hazards. Seriously, he's a terrible lead unless the opponent has no sub user or taunt user, and in that case, I'd say your opponent is a pretty bad player or has a pretty bad team. I don't suggest replacing him, but using him as a lead will only work against the most unprepared players and worst teams.

Hi there. Ferrothorn as a lead is a terrible idea. It will either get taunted, or substituted and set up on, and that's basically game. Occa berry won't help much, either, because once you're just being set up on, they don't really care whether they use a fire move to kill you, because they'll be at +2/2 or higher while you're still messing around putting up hazards. Seriously, he's a terrible lead unless the opponent has no sub user or taunt user, and in that case, I'd say your opponent is a pretty bad player or has a pretty bad team. I don't suggest replacing him, but using him as a lead will only work against the most unprepared players and worst teams.
Actually that's the idea.. the idea is to make my opponent think that it will immediately use stealth rock... also, with the team preview, I can know if I'm playing with a noob or a skilled player, normally, they sent out their sweeper and while they use their first turn to set up, I use thunder wave and from there, the match is mine. I can also sent out any of the other pokemon... especially ninetales or dragonite (to take advantage of not having stealth rock on)

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
I actually like the new Infernape that you had in mind.
Removing those moves from Ninetales makes her very predictable and easily walled, I like the surprise it gives to my opponents when they discover that their walling techniques didn't worked. It already has WoW for stalling any physical attacker and can sometimes make a sweep. Also, the weather fights are something I don't care, the idea is tricking the opponent into thinking I care about that, but it is mainly used as a cannon fodder. That's why she is the most important member.

Changing Ferrothorn for Foretress is a terrible idea. When I play the game, I don't really need a rapid spinner, because I can work out with dragonite without multiscale and gengar can switch in and destiny bond anyone. Ferrothorn has thunder wave, which is really good when the other opponent sents out something like volcarona, making it useless. And it is far less predictable than Foretress.

The main idea of this team is tricking the other player into thinking that this is a very predictable team.. so I like uncommon strategies in it.

Thanks for the help, I already changed my Infernape :)
This definitely is not a terrible idea since your team desperately needs a spinner and Ferrothorn in the sun does not work very well generally. But if you really want to keep Thunder Wave on your team I would suggest using Xatu over Ferrothorn. Xatu can bounce back opposing hazards and status, has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and has semi-STAB under the sun with Heat Wave to destroy opposing steel types.

Also, with your Venusaur, you only need 180 speed EV's to outspeed opposing Scarf Latios if you switch to Timid Nature so I would do that and putt heresy of your EV's into HP for extra bulk.

Lastly, in regards to ganj4IF's Ninetales suggestion, this is a very uncommon yet effective set that utilizes surprise factor to help you win the weather war. I don't know why you are so against trying it out because it is much more effective for your team, especially Venusaur who needs the sun up. In fact, at least from my experience on the ladder, this is much less common than the Nasty Plot set, yet it makes Ninetales last longer which is much more important seeing as it is a very poor offensive threat, especially when not fully invested in speed. And since you seem very adamant about utilizing surprise factor, I think you will enjoy it.

Hopefully you try these sets out. Good luck and here is the set:
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Bold nature
252 def/ 252 hp/ 4 speed
Roost
Heat Wave
Thunder Wave
U- Turn

This definitely is not a terrible idea since your team desperately needs a spinner and Ferrothorn in the sun does not work very well generally. But if you really want to keep Thunder Wave on your team I would suggest using Xatu over Ferrothorn. Xatu can bounce back opposing hazards and status, has reliable recovery in the form of Roost and has semi-STAB under the sun with Heat Wave to destroy opposing steel types.

Also, with your Venusaur, you only need 180 speed EV's to outspeed opposing Scarf Latios if you switch to Timid Nature so I would do that and putt heresy of your EV's into HP for extra bulk.

Lastly, in regards to ganj4IF's Ninetales suggestion, this is a very uncommon yet effective set that utilizes surprise factor to help you win the weather war. I don't know why you are so against trying it out because it is much more effective for your team, especially Venusaur who needs the sun up. In fact, at least from my experience on the ladder, this is much less common than the Nasty Plot set, yet it makes Ninetales last longer which is much more important seeing as it is a very poor offensive threat, especially when not fully invested in speed. And since you seem very adamant about utilizing surprise factor, I think you will enjoy it.

Hopefully you try these sets out. Good luck and here is the set:
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Bold nature
252 def/ 252 hp/ 4 speed
Roost
Heat Wave
Thunder Wave
U- Turn
Thank you.. I never saw Xatu as an option! He is awesome and does a better job than ferrothorn!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)