Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the stats.

1 Tyranitar 95686 20.1905%
2 Rotom-W 84284 17.78459%
3 Scizor 81761 17.25221%
4 Gliscor 81449 17.18638%
5 Ferrothorn 80902 17.07096%
How to make a Sandstorm Team 101, just add Excadrill.

Rotom-W is a rather popular lead choice, so him shooting up to 2 place doesn't surprise me at all.

All I'm going to say is that if these stats are accurate [Bearing in mind it only counts pokemon sent out, which obviously inflates the weather starters, as they are leads 90% of the time], then it proves that something is wrong with the metagame.

If it's centralising to the degree that 54 drop to 44 in one month, and pokemon such as Gastrodon, who, let's face it, is nothing special besides a check to Thunderus, jump from below RU into OU, then it's pretty clear something is up.

I doubt it's just Thunderus either. The sudden shinking of the diversity in the metagame, and the top 10 being almost completely dominated by weather mainstays is a pretty big red flashing light...

As for Rotom-W, not surprised seeing him jump up. Especially if Thunderus gets banned. I'm under the impression he's outright broken under Rain, Double STAB Hydro Pumps from a high Sp.Atk, backed up by STAB Electric attacks, bulk, and a great support movepool too. Not to mention perfect synergy with Scizor... both x4 resisting the other's sole weakness under rain.

The Scizor + Politoad + Rotom-W core basically guarentees rain, seeing as Tyranitar dislikes Scizor and Rotom-W, and they can keep U-Turning and Volt Switching whenever Tyranitar leaves the feild, to bring Politoad back.

I'm surprised Thundurus didn't drop more...I've only seen 3 or so in roughly 55 battles. I suppose the metagame has evolved in a way that isn't kind to it, might it live this round of suspect testing?! On the other hand, I would have expected Reuniclus to gain some spots rather than lose one, everyone has been using that damn Trick Room set which is easily the best late-game cleaner in OU.

Rotom-W is probably the best mon in OU, or at least it's in the Top 3. It fits every team due to it's typing and Levitate, and gives all the common weather starters trouble. Volt Switch spamming is annoying and makes it hard to kill as you can never nail it down until the end stages of the game. Being a good partner with Scizor makes it easy to use by everyone, which is what I feel is the main reason for its jump in usage.

and pokemon such as Gastrodon, who, let's face it, is nothing special besides a check to Thunderus
Well Gastro is one of the best anti-rain mons you can use, being something that can be useful vs Thundurus is just an added extra.

Those are just my quick thoughts, I'm also predicting Tentacruel usage to go up next month with undisputed's team becoming more known and used.

To address some comments made about the technical aspects of the stats (the only thing I feel I am qualified to comment on):
  • For those of you who want me to discard usage by players with a ranking under 1001: take a look at the battle logs. They do not contain rankings, only variations. So sorry, no can do. If you can think of a workaround, I'm open to it. One option would be to only count winning teams.
  • For those of you wondering how much only counting the pokemon that were sent out, rather than all the pokemon on the team, is skewing the stats, consider something: divide the number of pokemon by the number of battles, and you get the average number of pokemon per battle. For OU, it's 10.2. That means, on average, only two pokemon don't appear in each battle. For a more detailed breakdown, here's a graph of pokemon per battle:

as you can see, the graph is heavily skewed towards the all-pokemon-per battle (over 35%) with nearly 60% having 11 or 12 pokemon. Just something to bear in mind.

please check ground arceus for ubers, I can't believe there are only 90 or so uses, lol. (or am I the only one who used it? could be truth, dunno.)

Groudon is a godz it owned Mewtwo.

New World Order said:
44 Virizion 16658 3.51497%

How the **** is this piece of garbage still in OU????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! It can't check rain, because many of rain's best abusers carry Hurricane/ Ice moves. It can't check Sand, I mean honestly? you're going to use ****ing 90 Defense to check excadrill? FAIL! Virizion is incompetent both defensively and offensively. I mean lets face it, Grass+Fighting does not net you a very good defensive typing. At all. While 129 SpD is fantastic, many of the threats Virizion supposedly "walls" are either physical, or carry a move that can rock it for massive damage: see Hurricane. Virizion can't even invest much in those defenses either, as it would take away from its only other good asset besides SpD, its Speed! Its offensive sets are complete garbage. Swords Dance... off 90 base Attack. Are you friggin serious? Thats not going to dent anything! Leaf Blade is friggin gay, as you aren't gonna be hurting anything except specially defensive bulky waters with it. Stone Edge can probably be officially deemed the worst non Focus Blast attack in the game, with Virizion's pathetic attack stat, it wont even be scoring OHKOs on some crit SE hits. Coverage my ass. The only physical STAB with any potential at all is Close Combat. But even that fucks up Virizion's otherwise great SpD. 90 freaking attack! and people are trying to run Swords Dance! FAIL! DERP! ABORT! SD Virizion has got to be Electivire version 2. Calm Mind Virizion is just as gay. I mean, once again it comes off 90 base SpA. Thats not hurting anyone. Yeah, you'll be a monster in terms of SpD, but all you have to do is toss a physical attack at it and Virizion is still gonna die. You can't even afford to invest in physical defense either. Because it either ruins Virizion's otherwise great speed stat, or makes Virizion's attacks even more pathetic. Or for those tards that run 252 Hp/ 252 Def Bold, BOTH! Oh and don't even get me started on attacks. Giga Drain is nice, except that your not doing much damage with 90 SpA, Focus Blast is the worst move in the game. You actually have a higher chance of missing than hitting twice in a row! Hidden Power Ice, same as Stone Edge, when your SpA is 90, even super effective coverage is completely gay. HP Ice bounces off the likes of Latias like its nothing. In fact barring a crit, Latias will win a CM war against Virizion even without Roar every time. Moral of the story? Stop using Electivire, Virizion
That you made sure to put this opinion in hide tags is amusing. I've used Virizion on many of my OU teams, and often he's been the MVP, so I feel the need to address this post.

First of all, you state that Virizion is hard countered by Hurricane and Ice Beam. There are only TWO pokemon in the whole game that use Hurricane regularly, and one of them has much better things to do. If you're leaving Virizion in against Tornadus, you deserve to lose. Meanwhile, Virizion outspeeds almost all Ice Beam users, and if it manages to set up a Calm Mind it takes pitiful damage from them, especially since they lack a STAB bonus. HP Ice is obviously in the same boat. Virizion has such ridiculous Special Defense he can often set up on slower Ice Beam users, apart from Specs Politoed.

Focusing on Virizion's defenses is an obvious misplay, considering it gets few supporting moves and no reliable recovery. Rather, those stats allow it to be a bulkier than average sweeper, with impressive speed to boot. Whilst it can't act as a definitive wall, it certainly walls the crap out of a lot of common pokemon, such as Tyranitar (Fire Blast isn't doing shit) and Rotom-W. This gives it PLENTY of opportunities to set up a free boost, making it a more potent sweeper than you think, should you place it in the right situations.

I'll admit, the Swords Dance set isn't great in this metagame with so many physical walls running around, and Rotom-W occasionally carrying Will o Wisp. But the Calm Mind set can be incredible if played correctly. Apart from its obvious weakness to Flying, most of Virizion's weaknesses are Specially based (Psychic, Fire, Ice) and thus Calm Mind allows Virizion to survive almost any counter-attack the opponent tries to mount (other than Psyshock). You're completely wrong about CM Virizion not being able to hurt anyone, since it can get free boosts easily on a lot of pokemon, and once it has a free boost, it's as powerful as Gengar. The whole point of CM Virizion is to come in at the right time and get free boosts; once Virizion is at +1 or +2, it can use Giga Drain to heal off Life Orb recoil and deal signficiant damage. Focus Blast, whilst admittedly inaccurate, is devastating when it hits. +2 Focus Blast 2HKO's Blissey, easily. If you're not satisfied with Focus Blast's accuracy, then just run Work Up with Close Combat. Whilst Latias admittedly doesn't take much from HP Ice, that's because Latias is GOOD and not because Virizion is bad. Base 130 Special Defense obviously means that it's going to stop Virizion cold, and trying to take her out without a few boosts is suicide.

Whilst Virizion admittedly HAS to invest in max Special Attack and Speed to function as a sweeper, its stats still give it a lot of natural bulk, and its good physically defensive typing helps to make up for its lower Defense. Base 90 Special Attack doesn't sound like much, but considering that Virizion can set up with ease and boost that to the equivalent of a Base 130 in a lot of scenarios, it's good enough, especially with a Life Orb. If you're not satisfied with Virizion's power, you're doing it wrong. Don't vent about how a pokemon is "useless" because you don't know how to play it.

And it's nothing like Electivire! It was underhyped at the start of Gen 5, and gained popularity over time. Furthermore, it fills a completely different role, and thus comparing the two is lazy and shows a lack of understanding.

1 Tyranitar 20.1905%
2 Rotom-W 84284 17.78459%
3 Scizor 81761 17.25221%
4 Gliscor 81449 17.18638%
5 Ferrothorn 80902 17.07096%
This paints a disgusting picture, that of a combination of the naysayers of Sand being a far too dominating a weather being wrong or severely biased and that Latios rape is just such a big issue T-tar continues to dominate forcing alot of would be Latios counters to not even make OU. There is just something severely wrong with that huge a usage gap. I'm somewhat suspect if T-tar was suddenly to be banned the top 4 would look more like Jirachi/Scizor/Heatran and Latios.

Throw in that (assuming these stats are fairly accurate) as many have said if OU can drop as much as 10 places from 54 to 44 something is going wrong here that more and more things are becoming less viable to this extent in the generation with the largest population to date. You'd think if anything a more diverse selection would result in a less restricting environment.

19 Celebi 33407 7.04914%
Yes finally! Get this piece of shit out of UU!
On the other hand...
55 Mew 12250 2.58485%
Screw you Mew, just screw you.

45 Metagross 15163 3.19951%
46 Venusaur 15139 3.19445%
47 Mienshao 14377 3.03366%
48 Swampert 14349 3.02775%
49 Chandelure 13982 2.95031%
50 Hippowdon 13597 2.86907%
51 Tornadus 13422 2.83215%
I really hope these guys aren't honestly joining UU? UU is goddamn chaotic as it is without more stuff that doesn't belong dropping in it. Although most of these I'm not too picky on, its Chandelure I'm most concerned about, 140 S.atk w/ CM is no laughing matter at all when its 80 speed could be considered decent in UU.

33 Gastrodon 24750 5.22244%
*salute*
I've been saying it forever the seaslug would eventually replace Swampert, Swampy's time was long over before Gen 5 started.

1 Donphan 9421 18.25563%
2 Hitmontop 7310 14.16502%
3 Roserade 6844 13.26202%
4 Mismagius 6754 13.08763%
I think what this goes to show is just how dominating and important hazards are in UU when the top 4 all are related to hazards in some way. Throw in that the strongest stuff are just undealable with without hazards, honestly how do you expect to deal with stuff like Celebi, Mew, Zapdos without punishing them on switches?

I actually really want to see stuff like Venusaur, Metagross and Hippowdon in UU. Venusaur is a great mon, just like last gen, and will undoubtedly be less dominant this time around. Metagross has plenty of former counters down in UU right now, like Zapdos and Slowbro, so it should just be a very good bulky mon. Hippo will FINALLY put some competition against those OP Hail teams, and will make them less OP overall thanks to the threat of sand. Imo, it'll only be a positive effect. All the others are even less dominant (Tornadus without rain isn't very OP, Chandelure will probably have similar counters to Victini, etc.) and I'm really really wanting them down there right now.

I also agree that Mew should go along with Celebi. I propose everyone simply use it until it's long gone :(

Tornadus can setup priority RD for its fellow Swift Swimmers, and its not owned by Aldaron's proposal. :P

As for Chandelure, I'm seeing more of it as a special-based counterpart to Arcanine. P2 dropping down though means that it still has to be wary about it(P2 walls FF's STABs >.>)

This paints a disgusting picture, that of a combination of the naysayers of Sand being a far too dominating a weather being wrong or severely biased and that Latios rape is just such a big issue T-tar continues to dominate forcing alot of would be Latios counters to not even make OU.
I'd like to point something out, just for a little perspective.

While T-tar at No. 1 does indeed indicate that Sand is the dominant weather, at 23.1% (T-tar + Hippowdon), it's not that EVERY team these days is a sand team... just a fourth of them (is that better? yes. is that good? ::shrugs::).

As a ways of comparison, Politoed is sitting at 15.9% usage (I'd like to do a search for "Rain Dance" to determine how many rain teams don't use Politoed, but that's a project for another day), and Ninetails is at 6.8%. My guess is that with the addition of Rain Dance users, Rain+Sun has about the same combined incidence as Sand.

Holy centralized metagame. Weather, please gtfo and stop holding OU back. Looking at the top 5 in usage is like looking at 95% of the RMT section. OU needs some serious help.

I am manually aligning it now, its a pain yes, but I wonder if I should stop at some point, because looking at the list I really don't feel like fixing us the NFE pokemon with like 3 uses. I am thinking about stopping at armarildo at 218, is that ok with everyone, or should I stop even sooner? Also about other tiers, I don't play them so I need some ideas of when to stop.

As for Chandelure, I'm seeing more of it as a special-based counterpart to Arcanine. P2 dropping down though means that it still has to be wary about it(P2 walls FF's STABs >.>)
My issue with that is P2 even if it did is only one counter, I don't see Arcanine countering it even if it can take those massive fire STAB's since it still gets quite maimed by Shadowball.

Plus there is nothing stopping Chandelure running CM in UU as I said, whats Pory2 gonna do to a CM Chandy when its main attacks are Boltbeam? In UU 80 speed is perfectly respectable and 90 base defenses somewhat makes up for its 60 base HP.

I didn't do calcs for SpecsLure so it maybe Specs is sufficient enough but I can be sure of one thing. Looking through the UU top 15 Milotic is the only thing there that doesn't get mutilated by a simple Sub/CM Chandy with only double STAB as it is and that is only one potential.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Was Magic Guard released when I was away or something?
I'm guessing it's because of the people taking advantage of the lack of scripts and using Magic Guard regardless.

Back to the stats: RU's usage is much more pleasant to look at now, and despite Yanmega still being at the top it is surprisingly not dominating as much as you'd expect. 16.3% usage is very much in line with the other heavy hitters in the tier and Blastoise and Claydol being so high just goes to show how important hazards (and keeping them off) are.

The only Pokemon that still stands out like a baboon's bottom is Steelix at #24. Honestly who on earth is actually using it?

Also huge thank you to Antar for doing this.

I am manually aligning it now, its a pain yes, but I wonder if I should stop at some point, because looking at the list I really don't feel like fixing us the NFE pokemon with like 3 uses. I am thinking about stopping at armarildo at 218, is that ok with everyone, or should I stop even sooner? Also about other tiers, I don't play them so I need some ideas of when to stop.
If it's proving to be such a pain, don't bother.

I can put together a simple script that will do it automatically, but I won't have time to write it until Monday.

My issue with that is P2 even if it did is only one counter, I don't see Arcanine countering it even if it can take those massive fire STAB's since it still gets quite maimed by Shadowball.
???

I never said anything about Arcanine vs. Chandelure. I was saying that Chandelure could work the same way as Arcanine...

I honestly doubt Chandelure will end up broken in UU. Base 80 speed isn't impressive, even for UU. There are also about a million bulky waters in the tier, most are able to survive an energy ball or two. Porygon2 and Snorlax are also able to fully counter Chandelure. (Chansey can counter any non Subsitute Chandelure.) Also if Chandelure runs sub CM water types have an even easier time beating it since it lacks energy ball and it can get trolled by things like Sharpedo who resist the stabs.

Houndoom also resists ALL 3 of Chandelure's main attacks, and can trap Chandelure with Pursuit.

But anyways, Chandelure hasn't dropped down yet, so we can't really decide if it'll be broken or not. Personally I'm excited for those new drops, hopefully all those pokemon will drop down.

Thank you Antar for taking your time giving us these stats.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
How Places Changed + some thoughts (Thanks Scarfwynaut)

1. Tyranitar +1 Assuming his rightful position on the throne
2. Rotom - W +6 Completely blindsided by Rotom-W jumping to #2... in retrospect this makes a ton of sense since its ridiculously good
3. Scizor +0 Looking good Red ♪
4. Gliscor +1 Considering its the best Excadrill counter and a check to a ton of other physical beasts, it rightfully deserves this position
5. Ferrothorn -4 About damn time, Ferrothorn is good but not THAT good.
6. Politoed -2 huh
7. Dragonite +3 The Dragonite army is rising! Seriously that DD Lum set is just incredible and you don't want to deal with CB if rocks aren't down
8. Heatran +3 No lie, Heatran is actually a pretty solid choice on a BW team. He rapes most sun teams and doesn't afraid of anything.
9. Jirachi +2 k
10. Latios -4 This is probably due to Tyranitar usage increasing. Latios is still pretty beastly though.
11. Skarmory +3 Hmm I wonder what could be causing his rise in usage :naughty:
12. Excadrill -4 Seriously? I would think at this point Excadrill would be even more common, he's the go to Sand sweeper.
13. Thundurus -4 Seriously X2 combo? Thundurus isn't any less potent than before, its still really hard to straight up counter.
14. Reunicles -1 Reuniclus should be moving UP, its definitely one of the better Pokemon. Especially that TR set, its a nasty lategame sweeper
15. Haxorous +8 :D
16. Jellicent +2 k
17. Conkeldurr -1 Even though i'm disappointed that he dropped, this is a good spot for Conkeldurr, it shouldn't drop any lower than top 20.
18. Gengar -1 k
19. Celebi +19 About damn time V2. Celebi is invaluable in gen V, its a really good glue Pokemon.
20. Infernape +6 This one surprised me. Infernape is good, but I always saw him as an indie Pokemon.
21. Starmie -2 The perfect place for Starmie. 21 sums it up perfectly.
22. Ninetails +5 Makes sense, sun teams are everywhere now...
23. Forretress +6 Forretress is actually really good and i'm glad to see him getting this usage. It stuffs Ferrothorn, lays down hazards and Volt Switch lets it bring other Pokemon in safely.
24. Gyarados -3 Man I don't know why Gyarados is this high, it never struck me as a top 30 Pokemon in BW...
25. Doexys-S +15 Damn straight. Deoxys-S is the one and only suicide lead and it makes for an excellent lategame sweeper too.
26. Magnezone -6 Haha it looks like the zone hype has dropped down a bit. Still, this is a good position for it.
27. Landorus +6 Should be higher
28. Volcanora -3 Should be way, way, way higher. Volcorona is a very cheesy Pokemon and it can win you games via QD.
29. Terrakion -5 Should be way, way, way, way WAY higher. Terrakion is almost as hard to straight up counter as Thundurus and its choice band sets hit fucking hard, 29 is too low especially when Pokemon like Gyarados are above it.
30. Blissey -8 k
31. Salamence -1 Look I hate to be a downer here, but I honestly think this is a good position for Mence. I could see rising 4-5 spots if it ever gets popularized by a user. Barring mixed, Dragonite is almost always a better choice. (Mixed is still impossible to counter and roost is awesome)
32. Latias +2 Why the fuck is Latias this low? The gap between Latias and Latios should not be this wide and Latias CM set is awesome / doubles as a glue Pokemon. Oh well, its funny seeing hang out with her fellow gen IV controversial Uber.
33. Gastrodon +36 (takes of glasses) YOU DON GOOD FOR YERSELF BOI. Seriously Gastrodon is a fucking beast in gen V, good to see people using this over that throwaway Swampert.
34. Espeon -6 k
35.Tentacruel +0 k
36. Toxicroak -4 Man Toxicroak will stay in OU forever it seems. Its a shame, I miss using him in UU just like in the old days.
37. Vaporeon -6 Frankly standard Vaporeon isn't that good at all in gen V standard and it should be UU. The offensive rain sets are pretty decent I guess...
38. Bronzong +3 Should be way higher, it checks a lot of the top tier threats (Exca, some dragons, etc) and its plain hard to kill if you pair it with the right Pokemon.
39. Hydreigon -2 Arguably the biggest upset on the list for me. Frankly Hydreigon should not be this low, it should be much, much, much MUCH higher. Its an even more offensive version than Latios, and considering its only countered by 2 pokemon (Chansey, Blissey) it should be in top 20 at least. Hell i'd use this Pokemon over pursuit weak Mc Latios any day of the week.
40. Breloom -4 Breloom is still cool, Spore is still cheesy and more people should use it damnit!
41. Scrafty +2 Didn't we establish that DD Scrafty was a thug eons ago? This thing should rise a ton.
42. Mamoswine +3 ♪ Don't stop me now I'm having such a good time. I'm having a ball. Don't stop me now... ♪
43. Lucario +3 Lucario is still cool, Swords Dance is still and more people should use you too damnit! Seriously I can't count how many times i've been swept by SD Lucario, it hits so damn hard lol.
44. Virizion -5 Good, Virizion sucks. Or does it? Is hating on Virizion the new cool thing, because I think its still a beast Pokemon and its good at what it does. Its a more offensive Celebi with a disgusting high SpD stat. Virizion needs more love!
45. Metagross -3 HI METAGROSS, UU's BEEN WAITING FOR YOU. I don't see how Metagross eventually dropping to UU is a bad thing, it gets to be used in 2 different tiers and is equally viable in both. (its still a great Pokemon in standard) I dunno about UU, but it'll be top tier no doubt.
46. Venusaur +5 UU Hey Venusaur, I know you've been a jerk to all of your UU friends, but Arcanine and Milotic are waiting for you. They're still waiting to accept you, even after you blew them off. So go kid, go and see your friends :)
47. Mienshao +3 Yet another Pokemon that joins the "Good in OU, but now usable in UU" group
48. Swampert -4 Finally, this Pokemon has long overstayed its welcome in OU.
49. Chandelure +0 Hurrah! Chandelure is awesome in OU (people use it wrongly) but now it gets to join the "Good in OU, but now usable in UU" group. :D
50. Hippowdon -2 Hippowdon is even better than before, it should be higher. Oh well, it'll probably be a staple down in UU and sand teams will reign supreme down there too.
51. Tornadus -3 I don't even care
52. Donphan +12 Don't get ahead of yourself brophan. Your cool on sun teams, but not TOO cool.
53. Zapdos +5 I don't even care
54. Darmanitan -2 FUCK YES (now) FUCK NO (in the future)
55. Mew +11 I guess its about time for Mew to leave UU soon. As the mascot of the "Good in OU, but now usable in UU" group, this will sting. But its about damn time X3!!! Mew is fucking amazing in OU and should be in top 20 at the very least.

45 Metagross 15163 3.19951%
46 Venusaur 15139 3.19445%
47 Mienshao 14377 3.03366%
48 Swampert 14349 3.02775%
49 Chandelure 13982 2.95031%
50 Hippowdon 13597 2.86907%
51 Tornadus 13422 2.83215%
... Oh ye gods. UU is officially FUCKED... I'm going to have FUN with this :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)