Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Yawn / Focus Blast

Me and Groudon ex were experimenting with stuff one night, and came across this little gem. I'm aware that Accelgor does in fact have an OU analysis, but it's almost never used in practice. After testing it, I'm not really sure why - Accelgor has a serious niche that more HO teams need to utilise. It's in a similar boat to Scolipede in that it's a Spiker that beats Deoxys-D 1v1, but there are other exceptional qualities that make it worth using. Possessing Bug STAB in OU is fantastic for a Spiker, as it means Espeon won't be so tempted to switch in and bounce away your hazards, nor can Starmie come in to Rapid Spin with impunity. In the latter regard, Accelgor has a significant advantage over Scolipede in that it outspeeds Starmie, meaning it can OHKO it with Bug Buzz before it even gets the chance to Rapid Spin. This put you at a massive advantage vs. other offensive teams early on. Although Bug Buzz only 2HKOs 252/0 Deoxys-D, it still puts it in a tough spot where it has to choose between getting only one layer of hazards up, or stop Accelgor from setting up more than one layer.

What really makes this set work though, is U-turn. The offensive momentum you can get acquire using this move is insane. Tentacruel wants to come in and spin away your Spikes? U-turn out to Landorus. Tornadus-T thinks it can get a free Hurricane? Out pops Rotom-W. Ferrothorn laughs at you, laugh harder back when Breloom joins the party. I think you get the idea. No other fast hazard setter apart from Azelf can do this, which really sets Accelgor apart from the rest of the crowd.

The last move is quite changeable. I've slashed Focus Blast last as I've never found it particularly useful - the things that it hits I can switch out on thanks to U-turn anyway. HP [Fire] is a great secondary attack though - OHKOing Forretress and Scizor after Spikes damage in neutral weather. Yawn is a niche move that Accelgor can utilise to discourage things from setting up on it, and can help when it comes to keeping hazards up - Yawn the spinner as it comes in, switch to a Ghost as they Rapid Spin, then they fall asleep. As items are concerned, Focus Sash is the only viable one here as Accelgor has no bulk to speak of. It sort of works well paired with Sticky Hold too, though I doubt anyone would try to Trick Accelgor when they could just kill it anyway.

tl;dr use Accelgor. I had my doubts at first, but it's proved time and time again to be an amazing HO lead. Give it a shot.

Whoa. Dark Blazer. That set actually looks pretty legit o.o
I'm itching to try it out :D
Alrighty, since I'm here I guess I might as well throw out the Underrated but Effective Set that I've tried and have found to work a heck of a lot better than I expected.

4 SpA/252 Def/252 SpDef
Calm Nature
Item: Eviolite
Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Fire Blast or Substitute/Pain Split​
Yea. I definitely don't do drugs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
When it comes to offensive Drought, many people automatically jump for their Mozilla Firefox-like Pokemon and throw it in. Ninetales is a sub-par pokemon that, much like Politoed, was thrown into OU through the grace of its' great ability Drought. But we all know just how poorly it fares against other inducers. At the start of a battle, it'll always "lose" thanks to its base 100 speed. It lacks reliable recovery and has miserable defenses. Then we have Vulpix. Shitty, shitty, annnddd...oh what's that word. ah yes. Shitty. Its stats are horrendous, to the point where people question whether if its even a Pokemon. (ok, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). Long story short:
Thanks to Eviliote, it hits quite a decent bulk. Lemme give you some calcs to show you how well it fares against other weather inducers.

~252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom) in sun: 156-186 (45.74 - 54.54%) -- 47.27% chance to 2HKO
~0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom) in sun: 50-60 (14.66 - 17.59%) -- possible 6HKO
~252 SpA Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom) in sun: 96-114 (28.15 - 33.43%) -- 0.02% chance to 3HKO
~252+ SpA Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite (custom) in sun: 104-126 (30.49 - 36.95%) -- 63.23% chance to 3HKO

~0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite (custom): 84-100 (24.63 - 29.32%) -- possible 4HKO
~252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite (custom): 166-196 (48.68 - 57.47%) -- 94.14% chance to 2HKO
~252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite (custom): 254-300 (74.48 - 87.97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
~4 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite (custom): 84-100 (24.63 - 29.32%) -- possible 4HKO

~0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Eviolite (custom): 180-212 (52.78 - 62.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vulpix can proceed to either WoW/Toxic the other weather inducers and Pain Split a hell of a lot of HP thanks to its tiny ass HP stat.

This set is definitely flawed and I honestly don't see it as OU-worthy. But it works. I've tested it haha. I know this vulpix will not be even close to game-changing, but in the long run, I feel it's a better Drought inducer than Ninetales.

Scorn, Laugh, Comment, Support :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has been pretty bad for a while now. I'm putting it out if its misery. Keep an eye out though, since some time this week I intend to reboot this thread and keep it on a shorter leash, because there are some good sets that pop up here. But I'm quite sick of seeing shitty gimmicks pop up again and again here, and they're outweighing the sets this type of thread should be about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)