Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kurona :
Game Corner: Lol, funny for you to say that only for powergo1 to say the opposite on the "(Little) Things That Annoy You" thread. Honestly I never really bothered with Game Corner though those who were good at them I can understand missing them. Considering how many betting games there was I was kind of disappointed how Game Corners were lacking more then two games. Maybe if they had increased and varied the amount of games you could play I might have found something, but usually they only had games I wasn't good in.

Mew King :
Pikaclone: Actually out of all of them I found Pachirisu the less original, but that's mainly by typing. Pikachu is the original and is a fast mixed attacker, Plusle & Minun are fast special users who are meant to work together in double battles, Pachirisu is defensive, Emolga is part Flying-type and fast mixed attacker, and Dedenne is part Fairy-type and is a fast special attacker. They all have something special and some even found special niche, though I can understand some who think they could be spending time creating a unique Electric-type instead of creating yet another pikaclone. Due to Dedenne's resemblance to Raichu and only big difference is its additional typing I think this opinion has become more apparent. However I can think of some ways of making unique pikaclones, and if I can think of a few I'm sure GameFreak has a ton. So to sum this up, I think if the next pikaclone looks more unique and have different stats to Pikachu this opinion might not be so supported next gen.

JES :
High Risk, High Reward: Like many things, it all depends on situation. In Diamond I knew my Infernape wasn't going to take a hit, so my favorite move became Close Combat as it just destroyed (who needs defense when you're fast and hit like a truck?). But of course Close Combat decreased defense, those other moves you mentioned lowers the stats that move is using, which to me is a bit counter productive unless that Pokemon is a mixed attacker and its other moves uses its other offensive stat.
As for the items, I think many payers expect the Choice Items to give you at best a one Pokemon advantage. I think more often then not a player with a Choice Pokemon probably either switches out soon after knocking out the opponent's opposing Pokemon or let it faint to the opponent's next Pokemon which will most likely have a move to handle that Choice Pokemon. In other words they're meant to be one-trick ponies. As for the Life Orb, Pokemon who can take full advantage of the Life Orb usually considers the recoil a small price to pay to hit even harder and knock out a few of the opponent's Pokemon.
It's all situational, and a good trainer would know what items and moves their Pokemon can take full advantage of.

Going off of the pokemon raising comments (Karen's speech vs Battle Resort Man), I find what they did to Wally in Post-game ORAS kind of disturbing.

For those who don't know, when you rematch him he has his original team but then after getting one trophy in the Maison he drops Delcatty and Altaria for Garchomp, Azumaril, and Talonflame. But more than that, his dialogue post-battle acknowledges him actively doing this (quote: "I knew my team makeup was still off. Then...I guess I need to take this guy out. No, if I do that, I'll be wide open for... Hmm... Then if I replace this move here... Yeah... Yeah, that should do it!" ) and NPC talk suggests that he's chain-breeding a ton of eggs. His dialogue also shifts a bit, less of him and Gallade/Ralts getting stronger together and more just him. I'm also told that his Japanese text is more aggressive and even cold towards the player, but I can't confirm this.

While this might have been to signify his growth, I can't help but feel he got corrupted. Especially since his actions are a lot like competitive player behavior. Not that's bad per-say since WE know it's all just 1's and 0's, but to Wally they're companions. This just seems more like tools...

They made Wally a mirror darkly. At least he got one rockin' battle theme out of it.

Although a lot of things disturb me in ORAS (Sea Mauville's backstory, Mr. Bonding's origin).

Last edited:
Going off of the pokemon raising comments (Karen's speech vs Battle Resort Man), I find what they did to Wally in Post-game ORAS kind of disturbing.

For those who don't know, when you rematch him he has his original team but then after getting one trophy in the Maison he drops Delcatty and Altaria for Garchomp, Azumaril, and Talonflame. But more than that, his dialogue post-battle acknowledges him actively doing this (quote: "I knew my team makeup was still off. Then...I guess I need to take this guy out. No, if I do that, I'll be wide open for... Hmm... Then if I replace this move here... Yeah... Yeah, that should do it!" ) and NPC talk suggests that he's chain-breeding a ton of eggs. His dialogue also shifts a bit, less of him and Gallade/Ralts getting stronger together and more just him. I'm also told that his Japanese text is more aggressive and even cold towards the player, but I can't confirm this.

While this might have been to signify his growth, I can't help but feel he got corrupted. Especially since his actions are a lot like competitive player behavior. Not that's bad per-say since WE know it's all just 1's and 0's, but to Wally they're companions. This just seems more like tools...

They made Wally a mirror darkly. At least he got one rockin' battle theme out of it.

Although a lot of things disturb me in ORAS (Sea Mauville's backstory, Mr. Bonding's origin).
One of his quotes even bashes on his unawareness of speed tiers, so yep he went full competitive and it's glorious XD

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
It's not really black or white. It can be seen as a good transition or bad, but I for one think it's a healthy dose of both. Wally is actively working towards being a good competitive battler, hence his involvement in the Maison, and he's learning new things to aid him in his domination of the gauntlet. If I were him and a budding competitive player, these are exactly the things I'd be doing. He was like... 8 at the beginning of your journey "with" him - if anything, this is exemplifying his maturation.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Competitive Wally: I'm more annoyed they locked the true final battle with Wally until you beat one of the Battle Chatelaine in a Super Battle. I can see them maybe having special battles with Wally when going through the various challenges, but this is a normal battle that happens outside the challenges.
Anyway if what you said about the Japanese version is true then yeah, that is a bit dark and out of character. However from what I read of what he said I see there's nothing wrong. Wally has always been a weak kid up until he started his journey and once he did he grew into a strong trainer. As a strong trainer he wants to continue getting stronger so now in the Battle Resort he's starting to learn a bit more about the competitive scene, similar to how the player needs to become competitive in order to beat the Battle Chatelaine.

Competitive Wally: I'm more annoyed they locked the true final battle with Wally until you beat one of the Battle Chatelaine in a Super Battle. I can see them maybe having special battles with Wally when going through the various challenges, but this is a normal battle that happens outside the challenges.
Anyway if what you said about the Japanese version is true then yeah, that is a bit dark and out of character. However from what I read of what he said I see there's nothing wrong. Wally has always been a weak kid up until he started his journey and once he did he grew into a strong trainer. As a strong trainer he wants to continue getting stronger so now in the Battle Resort he's starting to learn a bit more about the competitive scene, similar to how the player needs to become competitive in order to beat the Battle Chatelaine.
I don't consider truant Durant abuse that competitive XD. It's not dark at all in fact it's a nice shot out to people just discovering their in game team sucks... A lot, it felt so organic.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't consider truant Durant abuse that competitive XD. It's not dark at all in fact it's a nice shot out to people just discovering their in game team sucks... A lot, it felt so organic.
Truant Durant? What do you mean, Wally doesn't use a Durant nor does he talk about one?

I personally believe that Flygon should not get a mega. Yep, that's right. Even with my avatar.

Flygon holds a very special purpose in the game for me, and I can be assured, for many others. Many of us on our playthroughs can vividly recall capturing Trapinch early on during the game, raising it carefully and interested in what the cute face could become. Imagine our surprise in seeing it blossom into a beautiful dragon that had all-around decent stats and unique typing. Sure, dragon type would be special and not benefit from the attack stat, but having such an interesting monster gain STAB Outrage and Earthquake was impressive. However, our fond experiences with Flygon soon faded when we encountered Garchomp in gen 4. In every single aspect Flygon was outclassed: better attack, speed, movepool, and arguably better design. It was a freaking land shark. Flygon was pushed out of the spotlight to be seen as the "other dragon-ground type". As time has gone on, we've come to embrace Flygon as the loser of the pokemon lottery. Perhaps that's why all of us hold a soft spot for it in our hearts. Much like dunsparce and luvdisc, we wish in some way there would be something to improve a pokemon that is otherwise utterly sad to look at. Mega evolutions, while nice for creating second chances for pokemon, are not fitting to the kind of Flygon I've come to love. Does he need improvement? Yes. Do I want him to get improvement? Of course. But can I actually allow myself to see one of the most tragic Pokemon of all time lose its place in my heart to simply follow the main-stream path? I can't. It's one thing to bring a Pokemon out of mediocrity, yet we need to see something as a untapped potential of a Pokemon benefit from the use..................ah, who the fuck am I kidding, GIVE IT BUG-DRAGON MEGA GAME FREAK WHYYYY

I personally believe that Flygon should not get a mega. Yep, that's right. Even with my avatar.

Flygon holds a very special purpose in the game for me, and I can be assured, for many others. Many of us on our playthroughs can vividly recall capturing Trapinch early on during the game, raising it carefully and interested in what the cute face could become. Imagine our surprise in seeing it blossom into a beautiful dragon that had all-around decent stats and unique typing. Sure, dragon type would be special and not benefit from the attack stat, but having such an interesting monster gain STAB Outrage and Earthquake was impressive. However, our fond experiences with Flygon soon faded when we encountered Garchomp in gen 4. In every single aspect Flygon was outclassed: better attack, speed, movepool, and arguably better design. It was a freaking land shark. Flygon was pushed out of the spotlight to be seen as the "other dragon-ground type". As time has gone on, we've come to embrace Flygon as the loser of the pokemon lottery. Perhaps that's why all of us hold a soft spot for it in our hearts. Much like dunsparce and luvdisc, we wish in some way there would be something to improve a pokemon that is otherwise utterly sad to look at. Mega evolutions, while nice for creating second chances for pokemon, are not fitting to the kind of Flygon I've come to love. Does he need improvement? Yes. Do I want him to get improvement? Of course. But can I actually allow myself to see one of the most tragic Pokemon of all time lose its place in my heart to simply follow the main-stream path? I can't. It's one thing to bring a Pokemon out of mediocrity, yet we need to see something as a untapped potential of a Pokemon benefit from the use..................ah, who the fuck am I kidding, GIVE IT BUG-DRAGON MEGA GAME FREAK WHYYYY
Not just Bug-Dragon mega. Give it QUIVER AND DRAGON DANCE! Throw that shit into the dance floor!

It's not really black or white. It can be seen as a good transition or bad, but I for one think it's a healthy dose of both. Wally is actively working towards being a good competitive battler, hence his involvement in the Maison, and he's learning new things to aid him in his domination of the gauntlet. If I were him and a budding competitive player, these are exactly the things I'd be doing. He was like... 8 at the beginning of your journey "with" him - if anything, this is exemplifying his maturation.
I know that's what they tried, and it probably should be taken like that and no more. But coming from years of "pokemon are your friends" being hammered in it's jarring that the meekest rival is the one to break tradition.

Plus hearing "I have to get stronger" in an anime triggers my gag reflex, especially if followed by "to protect everyone."

I take the situation like your elementary school dodgeball team, where everyone lines up and the team captain picks all his best friends year after year and they generally lose because you're the spindly nerd who fears flying objects but you're all friends so who cares? Then high school comes and everyone gets more competitive and your best friend team captain now picks the tallest and biggest guys (Garchomp) and you're picked last. Sure the team as a whole does better, but it's not like this is a league or anyone's getting paid to do this or your gym will go under if you don't beat Global-gym in a tournament, so it sucks to be you (Altaria/Delcatty).

So then you take two years of weight training and join the runt-team on purpose just to send a dodge ball into Jason Funderburger's fat ugly face that backstabbing Sorry, don't know where that came from.

Granted, this is "in-universe" where the pokemon are supposed to be real and have feelings. For the real world, I think this Ikea commercial sums up my feelings on competitive battling:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While it's not my unpopular opinion, a Bulbapedia former webmaster and editor-in-chief posted his opinions on ORAS. It's quite the interesting read. One of the interesting points made is that it's almost an exact remake of Ruby & Sapphire. Before you say "obviously", he goes and points out the FRLG and HGSS added things to their games so they weren't an exact remake. However ORAS adds very little new things, it's essentially just a graphical uplift with minor additions like the Delta Episode and Soaring. Also the exclusion of features from Emerald like the Battle Frontier furthered weaken the games. He says they aren't bad games and are as good as the original Ruby & Sapphire, but that's the thing. They're as good as the original Ruby & Sapphire, and for a remake you want it to be improved upon, resulting in Emerald still being the better Hoenn game.

While it's not my unpopular opinion, a Bulbapedia former webmaster and editor-in-chief posted his opinions on ORAS. It's quite the interesting read. One of the interesting points made is that it's almost an exact remake of Ruby & Sapphire. Before you say "obviously", he goes and points out the FRLG and HGSS added things to their games so they weren't an exact remake. However ORAS adds very little new things, it's essentially just a graphical uplift with minor additions like the Delta Episode and Soaring. Also the exclusion of features from Emerald like the Battle Frontier furthered weaken the games. He says they aren't bad games and are as good as the original Ruby & Sapphire, but that's the thing. They're as good as the original Ruby & Sapphire, and for a remake you want it to be improved upon, resulting in Emerald still being the better Hoenn game.
I have some serious problems with the lack of a Battle Frontier on ORAS. Almost seems like they were rushing the game or something. ORAS added beautiful sprites, some areas, super OP megas, a few objects, new Hoopa, and that's about it. But the lack of Battle Frontier and the cloning glitch just kills this game

^^Wait, this comment was posted earlier, somehow deleted and re-posted again, right? It says "8 minutes ago", but I'm fairly certain I saw it linked on here and read the op.ed. more than an hour ago.

Anyway, I find myself agreeing almost completely with him. I still hold by that Hoenn is a great region for exploration, and I don't mind the backtracking, but the rest is pretty spot-on. PokéNav Plus (the DexNav in particular) is the best tool in Pokémon since the Vs. Seeker, the graphics are great and Soaring is pretty cool, but good as it is, ORAS did very little to fix the flaws of R/S - flaws that mostly were fixed in Emerald. The new areas are pretty bare-bones, the Pokémon selection rather so-and-so, and leaving the Frontier out was a pretty stupid move. Even worse was copying the Maison in, name and everything, just to underline that they didn't care to put any more resources into the long-term postgame than necessary. ORAS are not bad games, not disappointing either per se, but to an old Pokémon fan, it's painfully clear that they could have been so much better with a few small touches here and there.
Exactly. No Battle Frontier felt like GF stuck an assault rifle up my ass and started firing. I was eager to beat the Battle Palace, climb the Pyramid, test my hax in the Seviprr building-but GF was too lazy to do it

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^^Wait, this comment was posted earlier, somehow deleted and re-posted again, right? It says "8 minutes ago", but I'm fairly certain I saw it linked on here and read the op.ed. more than an hour ago.

Anyway, I find myself agreeing almost completely with him. I still hold by that Hoenn is a great region for exploration, and I don't mind the backtracking, but the rest is pretty spot-on. PokéNav Plus (the DexNav in particular) is the best tool in Pokémon since the Vs. Seeker, the graphics are great and Soaring is pretty cool, but good as it is, ORAS did very little to fix the flaws of R/S - flaws that mostly were fixed in Emerald. The new areas are pretty bare-bones, the Pokémon selection rather so-and-so, and leaving the Frontier out was a pretty stupid move. Even worse was copying the Maison in, name and everything, just to underline that they didn't care to put any more resources into the long-term postgame than necessary. ORAS are not bad games, not disappointing either per se, but to an old Pokémon fan, it's painfully clear that they could have been so much better with a few small touches here and there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

That's because I posted this in the wrong thread before, I accidentally posted it with a response in the "Annoyance Thread" and only now realized "wait, this is in the wrong thread".

... WAIT A MOMENT! I just realized something about the Battle Maison that doesn't make sense. Off to the "Mysteries Thread" to report my discovery!...

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I know that's what they tried, and it probably should be taken like that and no more. But coming from years of "pokemon are your friends" being hammered in it's jarring that the meekest rival is the one to break tradition.

Plus hearing "I have to get stronger" in an anime triggers my gag reflex, especially if followed by "to protect everyone."

I take the situation like your elementary school dodgeball team, where everyone lines up and the team captain picks all his best friends year after year and they generally lose because you're the spindly nerd who fears flying objects but you're all friends so who cares? Then high school comes and everyone gets more competitive and your best friend team captain now picks the tallest and biggest guys (Garchomp) and you're picked last. Sure the team as a whole does better, but it's not like this is a league or anyone's getting paid to do this or your gym will go under if you don't beat Global-gym in a tournament, so it sucks to be you (Altaria/Delcatty).

So then you take two years of weight training and join the runt-team on purpose just to send a dodge ball into Jason Funderburger's fat ugly face that backstabbing Sorry, don't know where that came from.

Granted, this is "in-universe" where the pokemon are supposed to be real and have feelings. For the real world, I think this Ikea commercial sums up my feelings on competitive battling:
But then you're assuming that Wally literally just throws his Pokemon aside for the "greater good" or what have you. Nothing is revealed to us about what Wally actually does with his Pokemon. He could just set them aside for alternative use. Ash keeps all of his old Pokemon back at Professor Oak's lab, but he has never once discredited any of them as being "weak" or no longer suitable for use. He's called upon the time and time again, so it's proven that there's someone that does something similar to what Wally is implying, so we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that they've been mistreated or cast aside a la Gary(Blue)/Paul. Competitive battling is just an entirely different environment than what he might be used to, and he's still young and could be making rash decisions regarding his team... but he, at the same time, might just have sent them home, is keeping them somewhere, still using them for say contests... There's a whole world of alternatives to the assumption that he's forgotten about his first tried and true loyal companions.

But then you're assuming that Wally literally just throws his Pokemon aside for the "greater good" or what have you. Nothing is revealed to us about what Wally actually does with his Pokemon. He could just set them aside for alternative use. Ash keeps all of his old Pokemon back at Professor Oak's lab, but he has never once discredited any of them as being "weak" or no longer suitable for use. He's called upon the time and time again, so it's proven that there's someone that does something similar to what Wally is implying, so we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that they've been mistreated or cast aside a la Gary(Blue)/Paul. Competitive battling is just an entirely different environment than what he might be used to, and he's still young and could be making rash decisions regarding his team... but he, at the same time, might just have sent them home, is keeping them somewhere, still using them for say contests... There's a whole world of alternatives to the assumption that he's forgotten about his first tried and true loyal companions.
Most people in here play competitive Pokemon but still keep their ingame teams, so I'm voting for this alternative

...so we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that they've been mistreated or cast aside a la Gary(Blue)/Paul.
Actually, Gary never did that. In fact, he would often rotate his party to keep all of them train. This is even more clear since he had over 200 Pokémon before the Indigo Conference.
I do agree with the idea he keeps his old Pokémon. I sure do.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Wally's new theme is generic and makes for horrible fight music, while Zinnia's battle theme is "meh" at best.
Wally's Theme sounds like an encounter theme, not a battle theme. It's a nice theme, but I was waiting for the moment where it gets pumped up (like the new Team Aqua/Maxie Boss battle theme).

As for Zinnia, I like it. I'm confused why the Rocket Hideout theme is in there, but it does make for a nice bit of music for an accordion to play. That said it does sound different from the other music tracks (it actually sort of reminds me of Kingdom Hearts music. Other's have also mentioned sounding like Professor Layton music as well). At the very least it sounds like a Battle theme unlike Wally's, too bad its used for Zinnia though.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Wally's Theme sounds like an encounter theme, not a battle theme.
That's because it is an encounter theme. :p

It's more obvious at the Battle Resort, where the theme plays when you talk to Wally, but changes to the basic trainer battle theme when you fight him.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's still very generic. Then again, once you hear the Elite Four theme for Hoenn everything sounds inferior.

That was a good read but I disagree with them saying HGSS fixed the level curve (it didn't) and one of the biggest complaints about FRLG was it didn't change much so I don't know where they are getting that from. They put in to words why the delta episode was so boring to me, it was basically a fetch quest where you fly to places you've already been and have a few battles. And the best part (Rayquaza space Deoxys) was just a cutscene. Imagine how lame the Distortion World would be in Platinum if it was just a cutscene.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)