Updated Cries

Dear god, Tropius sounds like a satan spawn. Now that I think about it, his old cry was epic. They fucked up that one big time.
I 100% agree with this. Tropius was one of my favorite cries, and I have no idea why they changed it. And I have to hear it every time I use fly or sweet scent... :(

I want the old bleep bloops back :( Some of them are tolerable but Raichu! Raichu is one of my favourites and his cry is NOTHING like the old one. I remember being a little kid vsing Lt Surge and being terrified of that cry, it sounded like a beast to me. Now it's just... eh.

It was nice to be able to distinguish the generations with their cries, but not anymore.

I actually like how Raichu's sounds like electricity now. Milotic's is still as beautiful as ever, and Bisharp's is pretty rad. Like they emphasized the "sharp" part. I'm really anxious to hear Meloetta's though.

They annoy me. They sound more machine-like than before to my ears...like they're distorted or unnatural. I feel like the unique character and "voice" of a lot of Pokemon has been screwed up. At the very least, I would've accepted keeping the same "melody" of the cries and updating them to sound more realistic like animals or something, but right now they just sound like they've just been put through some weird filter. Not a fan.

They grew on me. I had a Shiny Delcatty, so I used it in my run through and at first I preferred the old one immensely. However, after some time I'm accustomed to it.

I just wish that for 1-251 they'd gone with the cries from Stadium, those have been a feature I have missed for years. Imagine my dissapointment in Colo/XD/Battle Revolution.

And my own cry's weird. Like a "vrvrvrvrvrvvrvr", but with the sound compression still at the end (I would've thought the whole point of updated cries was to remove the borked noises at the end of cries that sound like "ENGHK" after a perfectly normal noise).

I'm a little irritated with Cloyster. It's the same, but it sounds incredibly distorted. I don't remember it being so scratchy before... If you listen to just about any other cry right before Cloyster's, it makes his sound like a car wreck. Maybe it was done on purpose, but it grinds my gears. No, it literally sounds like gears grinding.

It really is very hit or miss with a lot of these, as has been mentioned. Some, like Golbat, Murkrow and Doduo, sound much more natural than they did, which is very nice.
Others, such as Drifblim and Garbodor, just don't sound right any more. Drifblim's cry sounds more like some kind of dubstep song than anything, and Garbodor sound like it's on the other side of a door or something (And it lost the weird fart noise that it had at the end, which is a shame). There are many more that didn't need changing and now have worse cries than before.

What I find strange, however, is the fact that while the likes of Drifblim and Garbodor, whose cries were fine as they were, have now received updated cries, several others, like Lapras and Rhyhorn, don't seem to have changed at all, despite the fact that their cries are much choppier due to them being very old. I want to know what the reasoning behind that choice was, because to me it makes absolutely no sense to fix what isn't broken and then ignore the things that actually need fixing.

It really is very hit or miss with a lot of these, as has been mentioned. Some, like Golbat, Murkrow and Doduo, sound much more natural than they did, which is very nice.
Others, such as Drifblim and Garbodor, just don't sound right any more. Drifblim's cry sounds more like some kind of dubstep song than anything, and Garbodor sound like it's on the other side of a door or something (And it lost the weird fart noise that it had at the end, which is a shame). There are many more that didn't need changing and now have worse cries than before.

What I find strange, however, is the fact that while the likes of Drifblim and Garbodor, whose cries were fine as they were, have now received updated cries, several others, like Lapras and Rhyhorn, don't seem to have changed at all, despite the fact that their cries are much choppier due to them being very old. I want to know what the reasoning behind that choice was, because to me it makes absolutely no sense to fix what isn't broken and then ignore the things that actually need fixing.
Kinda like how they give Mewtwo two mega evolutions and stuff like Dunsparce got none.

Most of the updated cries suck. Venasaur's cry sounds so weird. I will get used to them eventually, but I really miss the old cries.

Ok I just fought a Heatran in the Battle Institute. They chopped off the last part of its cry for no reason! Normally it's something like "na HYAA nyaaa" but now it's just "na HYAA"

I know I'm probably the only person in the world that thinks Heatran is cute but... WHY D:
(attached image is totally relevant)

heatran.png

I'm 70-some hours in and still haven't gotten around to beating the game, so I haven't heard all of the updated cries yet. But of the ones I have heard, there are a few I really like and a few I really don't like.

Ones I don't like:
-Skorupi. The old cry sounded oddly adorable. The new cry loses the cute notes of the chirping completely.
-Shelmet. Sounds completely different and not nearly as memorable.
-Victreebell. Sounds watered down and not as intimidating as the piercing, pure notes it had before.
-Ducklett. It sounds less like a duck. Its cry was great before. Why did they change it?
-Swoobat. The new cry cuts off abruptly instead of trailing off, and sounds unnatural as a result.
-Machop. The new cry is earsplitting.
-Staraptor. A subtle change, but the new cry sounds quieter and higher-pitched, and overall wimpier than the hawk-like scream it had before.
-Charizard. The old cry was nothing special. The new one, even less so.
-Arbok. It sounds even less like any sound a snake would make.
-Farfetch'd. To its credit, it sounds more like quacking, but it's just not as catchy as the original short, descending trill.
-Kecleon. Just not as memorable and distinctive as the flat repetition a single note.
-Beedrill. How does the non-8-bit version sound so much less like the buzzing of a wasp?
-Sableye. A cave-dwelling, gem-eating goblin should not sound like Zigzagoon.

Ones I like more than the originals:
-Wailmer. It sound like a real whale now.
-Pikachu and Raichu. Drastic changes, but I think they sound better than the 8-bit noises. Raichu's squeaking and electricity sounds fitting.
-Psyduck. I can actually imagine the new cry coming out of Psyduck's mouth, whereas the old one didn't sound organic at all.
-Golbat. I'll miss the old cry, but the new one does sound appropriately squeaky and battish.
-Bagon. No longer sounds whiny and annoying to me.
-Tentacruel. It sounds more mysterious and menacing now.
-Rhydon. It's kind of a shame that the high starting note is muted somewhat, but it sounds more like a roar now.
-Volbeat and Illumise. Shrill, but more insect-like.
-Skarmory. Earsplitting, but at least it sounds like a bird.

As you can see, my feelings about the changed cries are decidedly mixed.

Hit and miss. I actually had every single cry memorized, could identify a pokemon with an eye's closed. Now it's all weird...

Of special note is Hydreigon's, though. Sounds the same, but the last note is a vicious roar that makes Charizard sound like a purring kitten. It's the roar of a creature that wants to devour and torture and destroy, and it's quite fitting. Probably one of the better improvements.

Okay, I do have to say that I finally came across Stoutland and I'm HIGHLY disappointed that it sounds a lot less threatening. Before it was something akin to "GRRRR BARK BARK!" Now it's like "grrr, woof woof." I am upset.

They seemed to redo cries that didn't need to be redone. Salamence, Shelgon, Hydreigon...they sound pretty different. I can see redoing the bleepy scratchy Gen I cries, but Gen VI? I liked Shelgon's old cry. And Nidoking's.

They seemed to redo cries that didn't need to be redone. Salamence, Shelgon, Hydreigon...they sound pretty different. I can see redoing the bleepy scratchy Gen I cries, but Gen VI? I liked Shelgon's old cry. And Nidoking's.
This to the Max. So many that sounded great before but weird/bad now.

Some do sound better though. I do wish they'd gone with using the Stadium cries for gens 1-2 though, that would've made my year

A lot of the new cries sound more machine like and "trilly" than their original cries. Like Swellow, for example. Its cry was very bird like, but now it sounds like some sort of tree frog.

After playing with Charizard for a while, oh my god I do not like its new cry. Like wtf is it supposed to sound like? I liked the old one, it fit him. The new one is just... what.

A lot of the new cries sound more machine like and "trilly" than their original cries. Like Swellow, for example. Its cry was very bird like, but now it sounds like some sort of tree frog.
I noticed that too.

Maybe it was actually due to incompatibility with sound files? Especially the gen 1/2 ones which were midi files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)