US Regional Qualifier - Seattle, WA - May 8th, 2010 WON BY ZEROWING

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds legit bro. I hope I get paired up with you. I'll ask everyone I go up against if they go on smogon. I don't have that much time either. I just got SS not too long ago. I have what, like 3 weeks to get a team going?

Is there a like food court in the place that the vgc will be held at?
Yea there's a pretty large food court like 100 feet away.

That's good to hear, I was going to pack my own food. But I guess I don't have to pack as much anymore.

aye yo, can you put me on the list for going? Much appreciated bro.

Do you peeps think it's absolutely a necessity to have a ground or fighting move for Dialga? I don't have either on my team right now, and I haven't run into any Dialga so I'm not too sure if they'll be a problem.

My Giratina has room for Aura Sphere if it's needed, I guess. Just looking for opinions.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I wouldn't say absolutely necessary. If your team has a lot of Blizzard, Dragon Pulse and Fire, Dialga will go down. There's also Metagross and Tyranitar to think about. Even with Sand Stream, I'm not sure how much Tyranitar will actually show up. Metagross shouldn't be much of a threat to Giratina unless it has Meteor Mash which I haven't seen very many Metagross run.

Ah, cool. I'm packing Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower already, so it looks like I'm good to go. I've been doing a bunch of battles on PBR, running into random VGC teams, and I've yet to see anyone using Tyranitar. To me, he just doesn't seem to have the potential to be as useful as he is in 1vs1.

Thanks much, dude.

Ah, cool. I'm packing Dragon Pulse and Flamethrower already, so it looks like I'm good to go. I've been doing a bunch of battles on PBR, running into random VGC teams, and I've yet to see anyone using Tyranitar. To me, he just doesn't seem to have the potential to be as useful as he is in 1vs1.

Thanks much, dude.
I don't agree... he calls out a permanent sandstorm. Raising his own sp. defense by 50% and all other rock types by 50%. He's really useful by his own right. He is only really one-shot by close combat and his movepool's pretty damn good. He's handy, that's for sure.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
What other Rock Pokemon? Omastar and Kabutops would rather have Rain than Sandstorm. Maybe Rhyperior in a Trick Room team but you probably wouldn't run Tyranitar and Rhyperior on the same team. I guess there's Garchomp's Sand Veil that benefits from Sandstorm as well. Instant weather change is nice but there aren't many ways to build on it. Largely Tyranitar is going to be the only one benefiting from sandstorm. Interupting your opponent's weather is helpful, but if you opponent is any good, they should be prepared for that.

What other Rock Pokemon? Omastar and Kabutops would rather have Rain than Sandstorm. Maybe Rhyperior in a Trick Room team but you probably wouldn't run Tyranitar and Rhyperior on the same team. I guess there's Garchomp's Sand Veil that benefits from Sandstorm as well. Instant weather change is nice but there aren't many ways to build on it. Largely Tyranitar is going to be the only one benefiting from sandstorm. Interupting your opponent's weather is helpful, but if you opponent is any good, they should be prepared for that.
Continue underestimating Tyranitar at your own peril. Also Feathers if you don't think Dialga will be common this year, good god you've got another thing coming.

Continue underestimating Tyranitar at your own peril. Also Feathers if you don't think Dialga will be common this year, good god you've got another thing coming.

Thats right, Diagla is used a lot. I've seen it in plenty of teams so far at the wifi tournaments.

I think you misunderstood me, I know Dialga will be common which is why I was worried. I just haven't run into any VGC teams that include one on random PBR Wifi so I can spot my weaknesses against it. Whiiiiich is why I was asking here. :/

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think you misunderstood me, I know Dialga will be common which is why I was worried. I just haven't run into any VGC teams that include one on random PBR Wifi so I can spot my weaknesses against it. Whiiiiich is why I was asking here. :/
He did misunderstand you. Don't worry about. He's more full of himself than most people. You should try asking for VGC battles over Wi-Fi in #smogonwifi or #skarmbliss on IRC to see if you can find someone to test against. Likely someone there will use Dialga and/or Tyranitar.

Tyranitar is really very good. I've found him to be a decent counter to 'Abomatwo' that's pretty popular at the moment. Given the right support of course.

I misunderstood nothing. My Tyranitar comment was aimed at TRE and my Dialga comment was aimed at Feathers. The second most common team in VGC besides Rain is a Trick Room team which leads with Dialga. One of the most reliable switch-ins to a Trick Room team is Tyranitar.

I misunderstood nothing. My Tyranitar comment was aimed at TRE and my Dialga comment was aimed at Feathers. The second most common team in VGC besides Rain is a Trick Room team which leads with Dialga. One of the most reliable switch-ins to a Trick Room team is Tyranitar.
No, I'm pretty sure you didn't get what I was saying. -_-

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure she meant she doesn't know if Dialga would be a problem for her team since she doesn't get to play against them. =\

The question was:
Do you peeps think it's absolutely a necessity to have a ground or fighting move for Dialga? I don't have either on my team right now, and I haven't run into any Dialga so I'm not too sure if they'll be a problem
My answer is yes, because Dialga will be extremely common. I didn't flat out say "yes" earlier but you said you weren't sure if they'd be a problem. I just mentioned how many people would be running it on devastating Trick Room teams. They will be a huge problem so you definitely need a fighting or ground move.

Or don't use one. Listen to TRE if you want.

My answer is yes, because Dialga will be extremely common. I didn't flat out say "yes" earlier but you said you weren't sure if they'd be a problem. I just mentioned how many people would be running it on devastating Trick Room teams. They will be a huge problem so you definitely need a fighting or ground move.

Or don't use one. Listen to TRE if you want.
Sorry, but the way you 'answered' me earlier seemed like you were picking on me because you thought that I thought Dialga wouldn't be common. I apologize for not understanding what you were saying, but you have to admit it was a little vague.

My Giratina's only attacking moves right now are Dragon Pulse and Shadow Ball, so one of them would have to be replaced with Earth Power, most likely. Looks like I'll be switching out Shadow ball.

Yeti, dude, we gotta hang out at this thing. I can already tell we will get along. :D

Maybe we should have a practice battle sometime.

Unfortunatly, I am grounded until the 29th of April, and I don't know if I'll be able to plan, hatch, level, and EV train 4 pokemon in a little over a week, plus i'm crushed under homework. Appealing to mother about getting ungrounded ealier, at the very least, expect to see me there with a suckish team and poor IVs

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
even though you're a Canadian we can hang out Feathers. ^_^

after all you aren't noob badintent, losing r1!!

I'm gonna try to (and very likely will) go to this.

Not really a doubles player though, but I'll slap something together. Who knows, I may get lucky and win a new DSi. :D

Also, title says 2009. Believe it or not, it's 2010 now.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, title says 2009. Believe it or not, it's 2010 now.
I like how nobody noticed this until now.

And don't worry, I'd never played doubles seriously until last week. After some practice rounds, I'm pretty confident I'll get past a few rounds in Seattle. I don't think I'll win first, but I don't really care that much about winning first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)