UU Threat List

I thought I'd write up one for Hitmontop. Here's hoping it's good :)

Hitmontop

50 HP / 95 Attk / 95 Def / 35 SpA / 110 SpD / 70 Spe

Hitmontop, the last of Tyrogue's evolutions, comes back for another round in Gen5 UU. Thanks to both of it's non-dream world abilities, it is able to be a supporter or attacker on teams. Intimidate softens up hits on strong hitters such as Escavalier and Heracross and with access to Rapid Spin, allows it to aid Stealth Rock weak pokemon, while Technician and Life Orb combined allow it to become a priority abuser, having access to Fake Out, Mach Punch and Bullet Punch in addition to Sucker Punch which deals with faster Physic pokemon, such as Espeon. Despite this, Hitmontop does have it's flaws. It's low base HP and lack of reliable recovery means it can not repeatedly switch in to strong hits, even with Intimidate, and Base 95 Attk isn't that overwhelming in UU, meaning any bulky Pokemon with recovery can weather the hit and win one on one with Hitmontop. Finally, Ghost pokemon are the bane of Hitmontop, since Rapid Spin doesn't affect them and Will-o-Wisp will cripple Hitmontop. If said Ghost Pokemon is a set up sweeper, then it can abuse Sucker Punch's downside to great effect.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
I want to thank you all for contributing so for, and I especially want to thank c-kipp for all the grammar checks!

For Entei, if I can see more people supporting it, I will gladly add it to the list.

I want to thank you all for contributing so for, and I especially want to thank c-kipp for all the grammar checks!

For Entei, if I can see more people supporting it, I will gladly add it to the list.
Entei is good IMO, I don't exactly have any experience with Flare Blitz + Extremespeed (I play in-game and I can't find anyone to trade me the event Entei), but I used it last gen with Iron Head / Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Return and he worked out well for me. I can't imagine how good he must be now with FB + ES replacing Fang/Return.

However, I don't know how he'll fare in UU/NU this gen, but I know that he plays like Arcanine but with more Attack and a lot more HP, even with slightly more Speed; which are the things that I want when I use Arcanine. I feel that Stone Edge makes up for Wild Bolt (if Entei doesn't get it too) since SE hits Flyings as well, and Dragon/Flyings (not that useful in UU, but it's important in Random Matchup) and hits Kyurem/Victini super-effective too.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to suggest to the opp to put all pokemon without analyses in red to show potential contributors which pokemon have yet to be covered.

No problem dracoyoshi :>

Bisharp
Dark / Steel
65 HP / 125 Atk / 100 Def / 60 SpA / 70 SpD / 70 Spe
Bisharp is a lethal Pokemon if used in the right hands, sporting a nice Attack stat and the right tools to abuse it, notably Swords Dance and Sucker Punch. One perk of using Bisharp over other Dark-types like Absol, Honchkrow, or Weavile is its unique typing of Dark / Steel, which gives it a nice number of resistances that helps promote safer switch-ins, as well as the scarcely distributed ability Defiant which makes Intimidate and random stat drops less of a hassle. Bisharp also packs some interesting support moves like Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock which, while not practical, does allow it a niche in the support area to an extent.

Bisharp has its hindrances, however. Its typing gives some nasty weaknesses, including a 4x weakness to Fighting. It also packs a somewhat unimpressive Speed stat and underwhelming defenses barring its decent Defense. Finally, Bisharp requires a fair amount of prediction to use its moves like Sucker Punch and Pursuit effectively, and Fighting-types like Heracross makes its life miserable. However, Bisharp is still a very impressive Pokemon to use and is one of the best revenge killers against Psychic-types and Ghost-types in UU.

Espeon
Psychic
65 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 130 SpA / 95 SpD / 110 Spe
The second fastest Eevee evolution also boasts the highest Special Attack of them. It possesses an impressive ability in Magic Mirror which allows it to reflect status, hazards, Taunt and practically any non-damaging, non self-boosting move. With the advent of this ability, Espeon can find itself frequently switching into common entry hazards, and Chansey, who, ironically, cannot do anything to Espeon if it carries Wish. Despite its new ability, Espeon is still physically frail (and not that bulky on the special side either); Calm Mind can be used to remedy this. It is, however, still prone to dying to any STAB physical attack, especially Pursuit carriers. A special mention goes to Spiritomb and Houndoom as their Dark typing blocks any attempts at a mono-attacking Espeon set (the two may also carry Sucker Punch for those with auxiliary attacks). Espeon can be used from anything to Calm Mind / Substitute passing, dual screening, boosting sweeper or a choiced attacker.
You guys are really quick, my goodness. Also, Espeon's sprite isn't 96x96 like the rest of them, not sure if that's as big of a deal though.

Hitmontop
50 HP / 95 Atk / 95 Def / 35 SpA / 110 SpD / 70 Spe
Hitmontop has come back for another round in this new generation's UU. Thanks to both of its non-Dream World abilities, it is able to function as a supporter or an attacker on teams. Intimidate softens up hits from strong hitters such as Escavalier and Heracross, and with access to Rapid Spin, allows it to aid Pokemon with a Stealth Rock weakness. Using its other ability, Technician, combined with Life Orb, allow it to become a priority abuser, having access to Fake Out, Mach Punch and Bullet Punch in addition to Sucker Punch which helps to deal with faster Psychic Pokemon, such as Espeon. Despite this, Hitmontop does have flaws. Its low base HP and lack of reliable recovery means it can not repeatedly switch in to strong hits, even with Intimidate, and base 95 Atk isn't that overwhelming in UU, meaning any bulky Pokemon with recovery can weather the hit and win one-on-one with Hitmontop. Finally, Ghost-type Pokemon are the bane of Hitmontop, since Rapid Spin doesn't affect them and Will-o-Wisp will cripple Hitmontop. If said Ghost-type Pokemon is a set up sweeper, then it can easily abuse Sucker Punch's downside to great effect.

I'd like to suggest to the opp to put all pokemon without analyses in red to show potential contributors which pokemon have yet to be covered.
Aerodactyl
Azumarill
Empoleon
Raikou
Flygon
Kyurem
Houndoom
Vulpix
Charizard
Emboar
Victreebel
Tangrowth
Altaria
Kingdra
Escavelier
Dusknoir
Mew
Azelf
Deoxys-d
Wobbuffet
Honchkrow
Togekiss
Spiritomb
Heracross
Zapdos
Snorlax
Roserade
Celebi
Victini
Hitmontop
Bisharp
Jolteon
Smeargle
Sigilyph
Umbreon
Zoroark
Quagsire
Nidoking
Arcanine
Sawsbuck
Gorebyss
Dugtrio
Yanmega
Lilligant
Staraptor
Drapion
Slowbro
Shaymin
Chansey
Mamoswine
Registeel
Suicune
Weavile
Eelektross
Cobalion
Huntail
Uxie
Milotic
Abomasnow
Crobat

A more up-to-date check-list of Pokemon threat analysis' that have been completed. Everything that has a line through it has been done. Also, bringing you Dugtrio and Smeargle.

Dugtrio
35 HP / 80 Atk / 50 Def / 50 SpA / 70 SpD / 120 Spe
Dugtrio may not seem like much, but don't let its rather mediocre stats fool you. This mole has a big trick up its sleeve in the trapping Ability, Arena Trap. With it, Pokemon like Chansey and Registeel can be trapped and given a smack-down, opening up a sweep for a different Pokemon. 120 base Speed isn't too bad either, out-speeding Pokemon like Raikou and Victini. It's good that Dugtrio has all that Speed, alongside a Priority attack in Sucker Punch, because it can't take any hit at all. 35/50/70 defenses aren't doing Dugtrio any favors, and with a fair share of weaknesses, along with being absolutely crippled by Burn status, Dugtrio has a fair bit of difficulty in switching into any attack. Dugtrio also encounters competition in Wobbuffet, which has a superior Ability in Shadow Tag and the potential to check just about any Choice item using Pokemon.

Smeargle
55 HP / 20 Atk / 35 Def / 20 SpA / 45 SpD / 75 Spe
Picasso doesn't hold a candle to this artistic Pokemon. With the ability to copy every move in the game, Smeargle often finds itself in the role of a Baton Passer, a role it fits into easily. An offensive Smeargle set isn't advised as Smeargle simply doesn't have the stats to attack and do any real damage, nor the defenses to take a retaliatory hit. With the newly enhanced Magic Coat, Smeargle is a bit more difficult to shut down, but not even close to impossible. Smeargle can also play the Support role with Entry Hazards such as Spikes, and with its ability to use Spore, it can set up rather quickly if left unchecked. Smeargle can be beaten with Taunt, Whirlwind/Roar/Dragon Tail, or just a strong hit.

I would like to unreserve me slot for chansey. I am really starting to hate the blob, and feel my analysis would be bias, and make her sound unstoppable, not giving people reading the best idea of how to combat her.

I would like to reserve siliglpyh though, if it hasn't been taken.

@Chcoloate-Kipp: When I am done with sila, would you object if a pmed you my analysis to grammar check it first, to stop bumping the thread so much?

Yeah, that's fine. Just PM when you're ready of course. :>

Houndoom
Dark / Fire
75 HP / 90 Atk / 50 Def / 110 SpA / 80 SpD / 95 Spe
Houndoom has quite a bit going for it in UU, especially considering it nullifies both of Victini's STABs. With a workable 90 base Attack stat, Houndoom can easily go on the offensive with attacks such as Crunch, Sucker Punch to get a leg-up on weakened Scarf Pokemon, or even combine Sucker Punch and Pursuit to create a pseudo-trapping set. And with Nasty Plot in its arsenal, Houndoom can become quite the threat with +2 STAB Fire Blasts being fired off. One of Houndoom's major assets is its resistance to all of the standard's Azelf's moves. However, all these upsides do come with their fair share of drawbacks. Houndoom is weak to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Vacuum Wave, all priority attacks that fly straight past Houndoom's moderate 95 base Speed. Technician Hitmontop and Huge Power Azumarill are both Pokemon that should be removed before Houndoom attempts to sweep, but neither enjoy switching into a STAB Fire Blast (Hitmontop) or Dark Pulse (Azumarill). A weakness to all forms of entry hazards also cause a problem for Houndoom, limiting its sweeping capabilities should you switch around too often. Neither of Houndoom's defensive stats are anything remarkable, and usually one strong attack is all it will take to send this hell hound back to the kennel.

Forte, Jolly Technician offensive Smeargle is indeed viable, with this set:

Smeargle @ Life Orb
Jolly
Technician
252Spe/252Atk/4HP
Spore
Belly Drum
Extremespeed
Ice Shard (OU) / Mach Punch or Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak (UU)

Spore something slower or a switch-in to allow time to Belly Drum. At level 50, my Smeargle had 73 unboosted Attack, and Ashenlock did the calc for me to show that Smeargle has 292 Attack at level 50 (Not sure how much that is at 100, though, but it's still impressive despite base 20 Attack), alongside 120-power "level-2" priority, and another priority move depending on what you want to hit 4x - A 2x SE priority move will do as much as neutral Extremespeed, so I'd suggest Mach Punch for Steels, Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak for Ghosts, or if you're using this in OU/Random Matchup (like me), then I'd use Ice Shard.

(Posting without a quote because I'm on the Wii. That should explain itself, with how tedious it is to single something out in a post)

@ Below
It is indeed viable. What else can use Drum with priority off of ~580 Attack, while being able to put things to sleep with Spore?

Forte, Jolly Technician offensive Smeargle is indeed viable, with this set:

Smeargle @ Life Orb
Jolly
Technician
252Spe/252Atk/4HP
Spore
Belly Drum
Extremespeed
Ice Shard (OU) / Mach Punch or Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak (UU)

Spore something slower or a switch-in to allow time to Belly Drum. At level 50, my Smeargle had 73 unboosted Attack, and Ashenlock did the calc for me to show that Smeargle has 292 Attack at level 50 (Not sure how much that is at 100, though, but it's still impressive despite base 20 Attack), alongside 120-power "level-2" priority, and another priority move depending on what you want to hit 4x - A 2x SE priority move will do as much as neutral Extremespeed, so I'd suggest Mach Punch for Steels, Sucker Punch/Shadow Sneak for Ghosts, or if you're using this in OU/Random Matchup (like me), then I'd use Ice Shard.

(Posting without a quote because I'm on the Wii. That should explain itself, with how tedious it is to single something out in a post)
There's a problem with that set. It's not viable. People have been trying to use offensive Smeargle for a long, long time. It's just...not good. I wouldn't mention this as a threat on a threat-list because you're never going to see it on the ladder (or at least, once you bypass all the scrubs, you're never going to see it). Not mentioning this on the threat list analysis. I gave a small sentence on how Smeargle can go on the offensive, that's the most it's getting from me.
2.)

Charizard
Fire / Flying
78 HP / 84 Atk / 78 Def / 109 SpA / 85 SpD / 100 Spe
A classic fan favorite from the first generation Pokemon games, Charizard makes a return to the current generation's lower tiers. However, the fifth generation brings Charizard a devastating new ability in the form of Solar Power; during sunny weather, Solar Power boosts Charizard's Special Attack stat one level at the cost of 1/8th of its total HP per turn. This turns Charizard into a veritable glass cannon. To give an idea about how powerful Charizard can be, a sun-boosted Fire Blast from a Charizard using Choice Specs is more powerful than a sun-boosted V-Create from a Victini using Choice Band - and Charizard still retains its Defense, Special Defense, and Speed stats. A sun-boosted Fire Blast coming from a Timid Charizard can even guarantee a 2-hit KO against a 252 HP/4 SpD Calm Eviolite Chansey and a 144 HP/40 SpD Adamant Kingdra with Stealth Rock on the field (and still has over 50% chance to do so to each of them without Stealth Rock), and guarantees 2-hit KOs on 252 HP/4 SpD Bold Suicune and Slowbro regardless of entry hazards. Combined with Victini's exact same speed stat and immunity to ground-type attacks, the burn status, and most types of entry hazards, Charizard is a truly offensive powerhouse with almost no peer in terms of sheer strength among UU.

Though almost no Pokemon can switch in to it directly, the fire dragon does have more than its fair share of downsides thanks in large part to its bad defensive typing. Stealth Rock makes a return from the fourth generation and continues to be the bane of Charizard's existence, stripping away a whopping 50% of its total health and preventing many opportunities for Charizard to come into play. Even without Stealth Rock, the recoil damage it takes from using Solar Power plus its rather average defenses means that it is very prone to revenge kills. Azumarill in particular will give it problems due to Charizard's weakness to Aqua Jet. Different problems will also arise depending on which item Charizard uses - if it elects to run Choice Specs, it will be outsped and KOed by Pokemon like Aerodactyl, Jolteon, Dugtrio, and most Choice Scarfed Pokemon; but if it chooses to run Choice Scarf instead to mitigate those situations, the former calculations above turn into 3 hit KOs and thus the above Pokemon will be able to come in on one of its attacks and KO or cripple Charizard. Flash Fire Pokemon such as Typhlosion and Houndoom can also switch into Fire Blast and threaten to KO, however they must be wary of switching into one of Charizard's other attacks such as Air Slash, Focus Blast, or Hidden Power Ground. Finally, Charizard is completely dependent on Drought or Sunny Day being in effect so changing the weather and making sure sunny weather stays off the field will neuter Charizard's overwhelming power.

Dusknoir
45 HP / 100 Atk / 135 Def / 65 SpA / 135 SpD / 45 Spe

Dusknoir is an example of a Pokemon that can ether go offensive, defensive, or a little of both thanks to its very good move pool and good stat distribution. On the offensive Dusknoir packs a usable 100 base attack and some useful physical attacks like Earthquake, Shadow Sneak, and the Elemental punches. On the defensive Dusknoir packs very meaty defense stats and plenty of status moves like Will-o-wisp, Trick Room, Disable, and Pain Split while also holding onto the ever annoying Pressure ability to quickly stripe away the opponents PP.

Dusknoir's main problem in UU is the prevalence of Dark types like Bisharp and Honchkrow who can cripple Dusknoir via Taunt, Sucker Punch, or Pursuit spam and Pokemon that can generally set up on it like Houndoom. Dusknoir also runs into competition for the "Tank Ghost-type" position with Spiritomb, who has a better typing and can abuse special attacks far more effectively. But don't let this discourage you from using Dusknoir, as it can become a effective team member with the right tools in hand ether offensively or defensively.

Climbin' in yo windows, snatching yo Pokemon up

Abomasnow
90 HP / 92 Atk / 75 Def / 92 SpA / 85 SpD / 60 Spe
Abomasnow's stats aren't anything remarkable, and with seven weaknesses to some rather common types, one might wonder just why someone would use Abomasnow in the first place. The answer is in Abomasnow's unique Ability, Snow Warning. Being the only full-evolved Pokemon with Snow Warning, Abomasnow is unique and vital to any Hail team. Abomasnow has the stats to use a Mixed, SubSeed, or even a Scarf set. Abomasnow has to be careful when running a Scarf set however, due to its vulnerability to all forms of Entry Hazards. The easiest way to beat Abomasnow is to capitalize on its common weaknesses. Most Fire-type Pokemon resist both of Abomasnow's STAB attacks and can hit back with a 4x Super Effective Fire-type attack. Technician Hitmontop is also a good check to Abomasnow, 2HKOing even 252 HP/252 Def Bold Abomasnow all of the time.

Slowbro
95 HP / 75 Atk / 110 Def / 100 SpA / 80 SpD / 30 Spe
Slowbro is one of the premier physical walls in UU, boasting amazing physical bulk along with the ability to recover 30% of its HP simply by switching due to Regenerator. As such, Slowbro can be incredibly hard to KO, as it rarely has to waste turns recovering and cannot be easily worn down by entry hazards. The addition of Scald gives Slowbro another way to send physical attackers running, and the burn chance can also act as a nasty surprise on any Pokemon switching in. As Slowbro is, unsurprisingly, really slow, it may also choose to paralyze foes with Thunder Wave or opt for the uncommon yet deadly Trick Room. While Slowbro's Special Defense is decent, it is often neglected in favour of its superior Defense, and so a strong Special Attack can often severely damage it, while physical attackers like Heracross can threaten Slowbro due to its many weaknesses.

Sigilyph

72 HP 58 Atk 80 Def 103 SpA 80 SpD 97 Spe

Sigilyph was an annoyance in OU, and now he is available to UU. There are less powerful Pokemon to have to worry about, but there are also more Taunt users to be wary of. Cosmic Power and Psycho Shift turns any attacker into a sitting duck. Assist Power coming from base 103 Special Attack is not bad either, and base 97 Speed means Sigilyphis going to be outspeeding some of the most common Pokemon in the tier.

Any Dark-type can wall Sigilyph's Psychic attacks, but Houndoom does a wonderful job as he can not only Nasty Plot, but is immune to burn. If Sigilyph is running the rare Toxic Orb, Drapion is your best friend. Faster Taunters such as Azelf and Cobalion can also stop this behemoth from setting up. Magic Guard Clefable can also stall Sigilyph if it is also running Cosmic Power.

If you're versing the rare offensive Sigilyph, its lack of natural bulk will be the death of it. Any user that can hit Sigilyph with a super effective hit will probably take this thing down.

I think I'm gonna start doing this whenever I get bored lol.

Jolteon
Electric
65 HP / 65 Atk / 60 Def / 110 SpA / 95 SpD / 130 Spe
Jolteon is the fastest Eevee evolution, boasting a phenomenal 130 Speed alongside an impressive 110 Special Attack. Volt Absorb ensures that Jolteon's Speed will never be crippled by a passing Thunder Wave, which is great considering it takes hits like a wet paper bag. Gen V also gave Jolteon a new toy to play with in the form of Volt Switch, a specially-based, Electric-type equivalent of U-turn. Choice Specs is a common and powerful set for Jolteon since it has no other way to boost its Special Attack aside from Work Up and Charge Beam. Jolteon is stopped dead in its tracks by Chansey, which can easily take any and all of its attacks. Snorlax is also a moderate problem with its high HP and Special Defense stats, acting as a more offensive Chansey. One good hit to Jolteon's Defense will usually put it down for the count, so priority attacks are problematic as well.

Kyurem
Dragon / Ice
125 HP / 130 Atk / 90 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe
A Pokemon of legend who was, interestingly enough, expected to be Uber. However, due to its middling speed and redundant typing as well as a weakness to common attacking types such as Fighting, Steel, Dragon and Rock, Kyurem fell out of favor in OU and slipped into UU. This means very little, however; Kyurem is a still a complete monster, and should be feared as such. 130 / 130 / 95 offensive stats are absolutely spectacular, boasting the second highest mixed attacking stats of Dragon-type Pokemon, just beaten by Rayquaza. Kyurem also takes pride in its exceptional bulk; 125/90/90 is simply amazing. In Hail, Kyurem is capable of destroying Pokemon thanks to a 100% accurate STAB Blizzard. Its movepool may be small, but Kyurem itself is capable of running quite a few unique sets from Choice to Sub and even stall sets with Dragon Tail.

Despite Kyurem's positive qualities, it is not without its negative ones. Steel-type Pokemon resist both of Kyurem's STABs. Pokemon like Cobalion and Escavalier cause Kyurem to turn tail thanks to the threat of super-effective STAB Steel-type moves, while Pokemon like Empoleon and Registeel (who also boast said typing advantage) must be weary of Focus Blast. Moves like Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes will also hurt Kyurem's effectiveness (the latter being extremely hindering to defensive sets) due to his part Ice-typing and susceptibility to the other hazards.
I probably unnecessarily reword stuff too often.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My analysis is meant to read entry hazard layers. Oops. No biggie though, I'll go ahead and do...

Quagsire
Water / Ground
95 Hp / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 35 Spe
A first glance, Quagsire's underwhelming stats seem to make it unsuited for even UU, however, at a closer glance Quagsire is a surprisingly difficult wall to take down. This is courtesy of its convenient defensive typing that affords it only a singular weakness to grass and important resistances to rock, fire, steel amongst others, and important immunities to electric (and potentially water); in addition to access to two excellent abilities, Water Absorb and Unaware. Whilst Water Absorb is more suited to the ubers environment (and as a Kyogre check Quagsire is now outclassed by Gastrodon) Unaware makes an excellent addition to Quagsire's walling capabilities. Whilst not able to stand up to powerful choice boosted attacks, especially on the special sides; Quagsire is effectively able to wall almost every boosting physical sweeper thanks to decent 95 / 85 / 65 defenses and access to useful moves such as Stockpile, Recover and Scald. In addition, Swagger can be utilized as a more effective version of Confuse Ray (provided you don't switch out) that boosts damage dealt to oneself. Quagsire can also attempt to go on the offensive with a Curse set but that is probably better left to Snorlax.

Good job with the GP checks Kipp, I'm quite embarrassed about some of my errors in my previous analysis, but it was rushed, eh. This one probably has a few that slipped past me, please oblige me with another check :)

Edit: @Virizion only viable offensive smeargle is the banned DW inconsistent stored power smeargle with a ridiculous amount of boosts. 580 attack at + 6 is still fairly underwhelming considering Linoone reaches over 1000 and is STILL walled by steels and is unable to KO Uxie / Weezing and other defensive juggernauts with a +6 Stab ESpeed. Inferring cartridge experiences to competitive is generally not a good idea.

My analysis is meant to read entry hazard layers. Oops. No biggie though, I'll go ahead and do...

Quagsire
Water / Ground
95 Hp / 85 Atk / 85 Def / 65 SpA / 65 SpD / 35 Spe
A first glance, Quagsire's underwhelming stats seem to make it unsuited for even UU, however, at a closer glance Quagsire is a surprisingly difficult wall to take down. This is courtesy of its convenient defensive typing that affords it only a singular weakness to grass and important resistances to rock, fire, steel amongst others, and important immunities to electric (and potentially water); in addition to access to two excellent abilities, Water Absorb and Unaware. Whilst Water Absorb is more suited to the ubers environment (and as a Kyogre check Quagsire is now outclassed by Gastrodon) Unaware makes an excellent addition to Quagsire's walling capabilities. Whilst not able to stand up to powerful choice boosted attacks, especially on the special sides; Quagsire is effectively able to wall almost every boosting physical sweeper thanks to decent 95 / 85 / 65 defenses and access to useful moves such as Stockpile, Recover and Scald. In addition, Swagger can be utilized as a more effective version of Confuse Ray (provided you don't switch out) that boosts damage dealt to oneself. Quagsire can also attempt to go on the offensive with a Curse set but that is probably better left to Snorlax.

Good job with the GP checks Kipp, I'm quite embarrassed about some of my errors in my previous analysis, but it was rushed, eh. This one probably has a few that slipped past me, please oblige me with another check :)

Edit: @Virizion only viable offensive smeargle is the banned DW inconsistent stored power smeargle with a ridiculous amount of boosts. 580 attack at + 6 is still fairly underwhelming considering Linoone reaches over 1000 and is STILL walled by steels and is unable to KO Uxie / Weezing and other defensive juggernauts with a +6 Stab ESpeed. Inferring cartridge experiences to competitive is generally not a good idea.
Random Matchup is exactly like OU on PO/Shoddy, etc. in the sense that good (mostly) players randomly battle others. The only difference is that defensive Pokémon are generally less viable; which is probably why I have such success with the Smeargle, now that I think of it.

@ Below
Just because they're less viable does not mean they're used less. I use a joke Triples team with Tentacruel / Empoleon / Walrein / Ferrothorn / Chansey / Wobbuffet in Triples just to see how it'd do. Wobby is obviously pretty useless there, as is Walrein, but it's fun to use nonetheless. But still, I see PHScor, Pory-2, or Jellicent on nearly every other OU-whoring team, so the bulky Pokes are still good, but something that obviously hurts them is the item clause.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that defensive pokemon are generally less viable means that it is not exactly the same; in fact, i'd say that's a fairly huge difference, as walling / defensive pivoting is a very important aspect of pokemon.

Edit: Right, item clause, this discussion has no relevant to the thread so I'll just submit another analysis.

don't think it's been done yet -

Empoleon
Water/Steel
84 Hp / 86 Atk / 88 Def / 111 SpA / 101 SpD / 60 Spe
Empoleon is a legitimate thread that should not be looked down upon despite its downgrade from Generation IV's OU. This is thanks to its auspicious typing and fairly well distributed stats, with an accompanying movepool barely big enough to make use of them. Its popular SubPetaya set (when Petaya Berry is released) still holds great power, especially with Toxic Spikes and other entry hazard support, however, it still runs into the problem of being outpaced by almost every scarfer, yet, it should not be underestimated as a STAB, Torrent and Petaya boosted Surf is extremely powerful. In the mean time, however, Empoleon will have to be content with running Agility with a Life Orb and three attacks, Surf/Hydro Pump, Ice Beam and Grass Knot; although this provides Empoleon with perfect coverage it lacks much of the power that SubPetaya used to provide, despite this it is still a powerful set, as LO StAB Hydro Pump off 111 SpA is no joke. In addition, Empoleon's specially defensive stat allows it to run a defensive set, whilst being somewhat of a gimmick last generation it may hold more water in this one, with Water/Steel affording a plethora of resistances, including the all-important Dragon and Water resists, yet giving it an unfortunate neutrality to fire and weaknesses to common Ground, Electric and Fighting attacks. In spite of this, Empoleon possesses the ability to lay Stealth Rock, pHaze with Roar (watch out for Espeon), and burn threatening physical attackers with Scald, all great boons for a defensive set. Finally, a somewhat gimmicky Swords Dance, Aqua Jet set can be run, with auxiliary attacks such as Earthquake, however, with Empoleon's meager base 88 Atk stat this mostly relies on surprise factor to do any form of damage. With the right support Empoleon is a threat that can create an instant win condition for your team if given the opportunity; with a specially defensive set rounding out the Pokemon, Empoleon makes a solid addition to almost any team.

The fact that defensive pokemon are generally less viable means that it is not exactly the same; in fact, i'd say that's a fairly huge difference, as walling / defensive pivoting is a very important aspect of pokemon.

Edit: Right, item clause, this discussion has no relevant to the thread so I'll just submit another analysis.

don't think it's been done yet -

Empoleon
Water/Ground
84 Hp / 86 Atk / 88 Def / 111 SpA / 101 SpD / 60 Spe
Empoleon is a legitimate thread that should not be looked down upon since its downgrade from Generation IV's OU. This is thanks to its auspicious typing and fairly well distributed stats, with an accompanying movepool barely big enough to make use of them. Its popular SubPetaya set still holds great power, especially with Toxic Spikes support, however, it still runs into the problem of being outpaced by almost every scarfer, yet, it should not be underestimated as a STAB, Torrent and Petaya boosted Surf is extremely powerful. In addition, Empoleon's specially defensive stat that was somewhat of a gimmick last generation may hold more water in this one, with Water/Steel affording a plethora of resistances, including the all-important Dragon and Water resists, yet giving it an unfortunate neutrality to fire and weaknesses to common Ground, Electric and Fighting attacks. Furthermore, Empoleon possesses the ability to lay Stealth Rock, pHaze with Roar (watch out for Espeon), and burn threatening physical attackers with Scald, all great boons for a defensive set. With the right support Empoleon is a threat that can create an instant win condition for your team if given the opportunity, its defensive sets round out the Pokemon, making it a solid addition to almost any team.
A couple of things to note:

1). He is water steel.

2). Petaya berry hasn't been released yet, so that set isn't viable at this time...

Otherwise, it looks good. Aside from a grammar scan.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Zoroark
Dark
60 HP / 105 Atk / 60 Def / 120 SpA / 60 SpD / 105 Spe
Zoroark is strong threat in UU because of its high speed, versatility power and incredible coverage. The illusion pokemon is an asset to any team when used correctly because it can surprise KO good portion. For example, Zoroark could disguise itself as a Chansey, and your opponent would be none the wiser if you pulled it off correctly. Zoroark can run a variety of sets, including Nasty Plot, Choice Specs, Swords Dance and an all out attacker set each having different set of counters are awesome coverage. You should use Zoroark with Pokemon like Heracross, because the two share excellent synergy and Zoroark is nearly indistinguishable as Heracross. When Zoroark is disguised as Heracross, it can seriously damage Heracross checks like Dusclops, Golurk, Deoxys-D and Mew. Zoroark isn't the easiest Pokemon to use because its ability takes planning, but even without Illusion its a solid sweeper. Zoroark takes hits like a paper bag, so make sure it doesn't take any unnecessary damage.

Edit: Thanks. There's no need to be snide.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Zoroark
Dark
60 HP / 105 Atk / 60 Def / 120 SpA / 105 Spe
Zoroark is strong threat in UU because of its high speed, versatility power and incredible coverage. The illusion pokemon is an asset to any team when used correctly because it can surprise KO good portion. For example, Zoroark could disguise itself as a Chansey, and your opponent would be none the wiser if you pulled it off correctly. Zoroark can run a variety of sets, including Nasty Plot, Choice Specs, Swords Dance and an all out attacker set each having different set of counters are awesome coverage. You should use Zoroark with Pokemon like Heracross, because the two share excellent synergy and Zoroark is nearly indistinguishable as Heracross. When Zoroark is disguised as Heracross, it can seriously damage Heracross checks like Dusclops, Golurk, Deoxys-D and Mew. Zoroark isn't the easiest Pokemon to use because its ability takes planning, but even without Illusion its a solid sweeper. Zoroark takes hits like a paper bag, so make sure it doesn't take any unnecessary damage.
There's no Special Defence stat and this isn't Gen 1.

Done one more for Yanmega :)

Yanmega

86 HP / 76 Attk / 86 Def / 116 SpA / 56 SpD / 95 Spe

Yanmega is a Pokemon that commands you to have either a bulky pokemon to weather its attacks or a reliable revenge killer. Either of its non-dream world abilities work wonders for it, each causing you problems in a different way. Speed Boost raises Speed by 1 stage at the end of each turn and after a couple of turns have passed, will out speed anything that lacks priority. If your pokemon is faster, it will most likely have Protect to enable it to do its dirty business next turn, which would probably put you to sleep with Hypnosis. Tinted Lens on the other hand, ignores resistances, meaning that Arcanine you sent in to gobble up Bug Buzz isn't so safe now, and with Choice Specs equipped, Yanmega will dish out plenty to keep you on your toes.

However, no pokemon is without its faults and Yanmega is no exception. Its weaknesses include Ice, Rock, Fire, Electric and Flying, only one of those that isn't seen much in competitive play. Ice Shard bypasses Yanmega's fantastic speed, and common users, such as Mamoswine and Weavile, have no problem revenge killing it. Chansey, the end of all special attackers, will wall it to no end and having access to Thunder wave will making killing Yanmega so much easier. The biggest downfall is it's type though. While the Flying type Yanmega possesses may keep it immune from Spikes and Toxic Spikes, coupling it with the Bug type gives it a x4 weakness to Rock moves, most notably, Stealth Rock. If you can keep Stealth Rock on the field, Yanmega will become a lot easier to deal with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)