Venusaur (QC 0/3)

Sup jc104

Thanks for implementing chlorosaur. QC has been discussing and we'd like the analysis to have three sets. 1. Physically Defensive 2. Specially Defensive 3. Chlorosaur

Offensive mega can go unless you feel strongly about it. The move slashing on the defensive set looks OK, but it might be subject to some change. I think some QC believe HP fire is a lot better than EQ or something, but just keep it as for now. What's important is detailing what either sdef or phys def wall and team options/usage tips based on that.

It looks like most QC members are agreeing htat

- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- HP Fire / Sleep Powder / Leech Seed

Knock Off, Roar, EQ go in moves.

is the way to go
Offensive Mega is pretty awesome IMO. I've been using it recently, and I've done super well on the ladder with it. It's probably the best specially offensive Grass-type in OU thanks to its great overall bulk and access to Thick Fat, allowing it to tank hits much easier. It also has a surprisingly high 122 base Special Attack, meaning it's far from weak. It also has Sludge Bomb to hit Grass-types hard, as well as Dragon-types on the switch, such as Latios. Basically it's an offensive tank of sorts that's meant to function on teams that aren't using a Mega Evolution and need a good offensive Grass-type.

Is Energy Ball viable on the Offensive Mega set? It doesn't heal Mega Venu, but it does have +15 BP, and Offense is all about packing a big punch. Unless I'm mistaken.

Hey. So, why does the Offensive Mega set exist? It just doesn't seem very good. Unless you have compelling reasoning for it to have a main set, we'd prefer it go to OO.

As for the defensive set, can you split that into a Physically Defensive one and a Specially Defensive one? Venusaur does both well. In set details of one or either of them, you can mention a mixed spread. For both of them, make the set this.

Giga Drain
Sludge Bomb
Synthesis
HP Fire / Sleep Powder / Knock Off

EDIT: Guess I posted too soon. CrashinBoomBang and others like the offensive mega set, so that can stay. And we agreed that Specially Defensive isn't as good as physically defensive. So when you change that, just make a specially defensive spread set details on the physically defensive set. And mention Leech Seed and Earthquake in moves, I guess.

Last edited:

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you'd read the rest of the thread, you'd have noticed that I was quite reluctant to add the offensive set in the first place. I'm not going to defend it. Honestly, I'm getting quite irritated as I'm told to change things over and over again, especially as I feel I'm being held accountable for having such poor sets in my analysis.

As I've said, I'm not convinced that any of the spreads play very differently or require different moves. A pokemon can have two good spreads without the need for two separate writeups. I don't mind splitting them up, but this analysis is going to be quite repetitive.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here are my suggestions:

92 Speed on Venusaur, this way you always outspeed max speed jolly Azumarill who otherwise has a chance to KO after a belly drum and SR. This is a must have if you run stall
Any Venusaur not running Leech Seed is a terrible one, Leech Seed is easily spammable and works well against almost any possible switchin unlike any of the other mentioned moves above.
HP Fire is mandatory, allow you to spam leech seed more freely and you really don't want Ferrothorn to switch repeatedly into Venusaur for free entry hazard set up, this shit can cost you the goddamn game.
Sludge Bomb is almost always better then Giga Drain this generation, it can actually kill jolly Azumarill 100% of the time, works well in conjugation with HP Fire and has a 30% chance to poison as well. Giga Drain hardly offers any usefull coverage for Venusaur bar beating Gyarados, that is if it actually mega-evolves.
Sleep Power is a fucking terrible move this gen, 75% accuracy new, sleep in XY is worse then any other generation and a many common pokemon are immune to it.
Knock off is nice and all but offers little real coverage and there are plenty of pokemon both in stall and balance teams who can do it a lot better.
Earthquake is only really usefull for heatran, though if you really want to beat heatran(like last pokemon remaining) for some reason it's still possible to sponge the burn and stall it to death with leech seed.

Venusaur-Mega (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Spd / 164 SDef
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yes a single defensive set with a physically defensive spread is fine, with specially defensive in set details. So then totaling two sets. The moves for the first set, are as such. Of course not all 5 should be slashes, I'll leave it up to you which you think ought to be first, second, relegated to the moves section or what have you.

moves:
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- HP Fire / Sleep Powder / Leech Seed / Knock Off / EQ

set details:
Phys def primarily
Sdef secondarily

AS for speed I think 16 EVs is fine, it gets past adamant azumarill/mawile, but ill leave that up to you. It's become a near consensus among QC members that the first three moves are totally mandatory on the set, personally I dont find that to be true, but, I can compromise here, just have the set look like that. Though, I wont protest if you want Giga Drain slashed with something.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright jc104

Follow Ash Borer's changes with the last slot as HP Fire / Sleep Powder, and everything else in moves.

Make dual STABs and HP Fire mandatory for Offensive, and add the 16 Speed EVs that will be on Defensive. Offensive Megasaur needs all the coverage it has to be adequately threatening against the widest variety of threats. Giga Drain not only provides coverage but also immense extra healing utility that reduces reliance on Synthesis. (Don't remove this set. It's supported by CBB and hits hard, being actually difficult to switch into and to take down. I'm not surprised that you're skeptical but there are players who can definitively attest to its success).

Make these changes and I will stamp.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just deleted that set slightly before you posted. Seriously this is just getting silly.

I can't put up with this any more. Feel free to reassign. If I'm provided with a stamped skeleton I'm happy to write, but I've had it with this QC shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)